The person above me, what is he doing?

Started by Acinonyx, November 02, 2010, 12:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acinonyx

I live in a small four-story house with several apartments. It's a restored building from the 19th century with sufficiently thick walls - so barely ever hear the neighbours. I occassionally hear a dog bark and one of the people has his moments of crazy where he turns up the volume of his music to MAX when he is really drunk (I am sure you can hear it up the street as well). But else - blissful silence. We had a percussionists living there once, too, and he could occassionally be heard, but else - no vacuum cleaners, no voices, nothing. It's very nice.

Except...

For a few weeks now, every evening between 8pm and 9pm or so, the ceiling is shaking and there are dullnoises and heavy footsteps above me. At first I thought someone moved in (people seem to move a lot in this house), but moving into a two-room apartment does not take several weeks. Then I thought maybe someone is playing Wii sports or something every night, but the footsteps go through the entire apartment. They're not the quick pitter-patter of children playing chase or the trample of cats (like mine) having their five minutes, but  heavy and slow footsteps.

A friend staying over the other night suggested someone of unusual weight and clumsiness is walking around while phoning or so (some people do that, myself included), but those are not the only noises. It sounds more like the person above me is dragging his furniture around and redecorating every night, Mon-Sun, at pretty much the same time. We thought maybe he has a bed-sofa or bed-closet that has to be unfolded or set up every night, but that should only take a few minutes.

I AM SO CONFUSED!!! Or am I thinking in too "innocent" terms? O_o

Will

That is baffling.  If I were you, I would be slowly losing my mind trying to figure out what on earth is happening.

Maybe just go knock and ask?
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Acinonyx

I AM losing my mind, really. I wished I'd just get the "aha"-effect and think of something that totally explains the noises.

I thought of either knocking or of crawling up the fire ladder and peek.

But honestly, being a woman on my own and knowing some of the other people living here, I am wary of knocking on anyone's door. Once we had the drunk guy from downstairs scratch (literally scratch) at every door, wrapped only in a blanket (naked!) mumbling in a drunken slur: "Won't anybody let me in?" and another time at 4 am I had three skinheads drinking on the stairs right in front of my door while my fat neighbor talked to them while being in a red bathing robe (it's because the people in this house always leave the front door open!). Same neighbor was also the one to stare instead of HELP when someone downstairs in our house clearly called for HELP because his buddy needed an ambulance (which I ended up calling). And the guy below me who turns the music up to MAX on a Sunday morning at 4:30 am to drunkenly bellow along gave me a concert (the following day) of puking noises (SO DESERVED!).

So... no... I probably won't be knocking on anyone's door.

Acinonyx

This weekend someone moved into that apartment.

So appearantly whoever was there before spend every evening for approximately two months to pack up and move out. I hope I never clutter my place up that much!

(These apartmens all only have a maximum of two rooms and ~40-50 m² to them.)