Costume Fairy Adventures! (Interest Check)

Started by Kunoichi, February 02, 2014, 11:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

Costume Fairy Adventures is an improvisational role-playing game centered around comedy and fun.  As I'm sure you can guess from the title, it is a game where players play as fairies, diminutive little nature spirits who dress up in costumes and go on wacky misadventures.  Of course, while that's a simple and easy way to sum it up, the game is a little more complex than just that.  You can read all about it at the link provided, and download quick-start rules here, if the premise sounds interesting.

Provided along with the quick-start rules are a 'demo' adventure and a set of pregenerated characters, to allow groups to test the game for themselves.  The game caught my attention recently, and got enough of my interest that I'd be willing to run the demo play-set, if I can get together a few people who might be interested in playing.  As for the plot of this sample adventure...

QuoteThe village is a rural community in a poorly-defined fantasy world just on the cusp of an industrial revolution.  The Pie Festival is the biggest day of the year, bringing in farmers from across the district and travelers from across the barony.  The focus of the festival is the pie eating competition, which awards copious local glory and a trophy.  Mae Honeydew (a local baker) is responsible for producing sufficient pies for the competition, and despite her exceptional baking skills is hopelessly overwhelmed by the work, as she is every year.

Today's core drama is the three suitors competing for Mae's affections, all oblivious to her complete lack of time or patience for matters of the heart on her busiest day of the year.  Bill Harvey and John Thompson have made Mae the focus of their pointless rivalry, while Tanya Barrington is operating under the increasingly delusional fantasy of being the heroine of a romance story with Mae as the dashing prize. All three have entered the pie competition, and all three have requested the help of the fairies to foil their rivals.

The secondary drama revolves around the family traditions of the Smiths, who are the village smiths.  Smithee Smith VI is determined that his son will succeed him; Smithee Smith VII is determined to rebel against his father, aided by his charismatic and cunning girlfriend Rose Carter.

In an alternate universe where the fairies do not arrive to throw everything into chaos, Mae will barely squeeze out enough pies for the contest at the cost of a borderline breakdown.  The shepherd Allison Carter will win the trophy (Allison always wins), with Smithee Smith VI and Tanya Barrington coming in second and third place respectively.  Bill and John's mutual attempts at sabotage will see them tie for last place, before starting an undignified fistfight that causes Mae to bludgeon the pair of them to the ground with a rolling pin.  Tanya chooses that moment to confess her love, sending a frazzled Mae over the edge, while Smithee Smith VII arrives to drunkenly disown his father.  The Mayor spends the next month trying to patch up shattered friendship and families.

Of course that won't happen, because the three idiot suitors did invite the fairies, who will ruin everything and make it awesome.

And that's pretty much it.  So, how about it?  Anyone interested in participating in The Big Pie Caper?

rouwdy

Zeth

I am interested in playing. I adore comedy games.

Zeth