WoW: Cataclysm. Can you wait? o3o

Started by Wolfy, July 03, 2010, 02:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincent

If you`re a roleplayer, no it`s not lunar, got a friend who  has been level 40 since BC.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
Douglas Adams

Proud Owner of what is His.

Vincent's D&Ds

Ideas.

Xillen

I never understood RPing in computer games... You actually have to look for the RPers among the actual gamers, and when you finally found yourself a roleplaying partner, you're limited by the engine, rather than your own fantasy.

Vincent

True, but you can still have a good bit of fun. we sure do with Rp-pvp.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
Douglas Adams

Vincent's D&Ds

Ideas.

AllieCat

Quote from: Aiden on January 11, 2011, 02:08:09 AM
The roost!  I stuck around skinning for a long time there! Sooooo much leather!

yayayaya *giggles*

When you hit 85, Tol Barad is even better (an area of crocolisks that everyone has to do for a daily quest, so not only do you skin what you kill, you can skin what everyone ELSE kills and doesn't skin as well!)

Vincent

We do the dalies in a group of five. one miner, one skinner, one herbalist, and two others who are around more for the pvp than the questage.
Douglas Adams

Vincent's D&Ds

Ideas.

AllieCat

Awwwww servers down, heck, even the patcher is down!

*grumbles, wants her WoW fix*

Aiden

Quote from: AllieCat on January 11, 2011, 10:43:58 AM
yayayaya *giggles*

When you hit 85, Tol Barad is even better (an area of crocolisks that everyone has to do for a daily quest, so not only do you skin what you kill, you can skin what everyone ELSE kills and doesn't skin as well!)

I have one 85, not in a rush to get my skinner up there since I am going to WANT to camp in Tol Barad and skin non stop. Already have one spectral wolf, need another one!

LunarSage

Yeah, I suppose you could describe me as a casual player.  I'm not playing everyday, but I do enjoy the game and leveling.  I only really RP with my SO though.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Xillen

Quote from: LunarSage on January 11, 2011, 11:26:50 AM
Yeah, I suppose you could describe me as a casual player.  I'm not playing everyday, but I do enjoy the game and leveling.  I only really RP with my SO though.

I found the leveling aspect much more pleasing when leveling together with another friend. With the two of you, you're enjoying quality time together. Playing by yourself means you're just working on leveling.

It does go quite slow to level that way, though. I fixed it by reserving a character for the team leveling and don't play it unless I'm playing with the other person.

Serephino

I'm really finding myself disappointed.  I like the fact that they got rid of having to buy different ranks for your skills, but not being able to dual spec?  WTF....  I always used to do that.  Well, you can, but only after you fill up the tree of the spec you chose, and even then, you only get so many points.

It's like the elitists took over and got their way.  My boyfriend is playing around on his druid that he had.  He loves Feral spec, but if he does that, no one wants him for groups.  Tanking is for Warriors and and Paladins (mostly Paladins).  DPS is for Rogues and Mages.  They'll let him heal, but still bitch it should be a Holy Priest.  I wonder what will happen if I make a Shadow Priest.  I could still heal.  Hell, I did a better job on a Shadow Priest than some Holy Priests.  Of course I dual speced, but no more of that... 

Why did they have to screw with this shit?  Like I said, the not having to buy higher ranks is nice, but we don't get new skills as often, and we now can only pick one spec tree.  It's my fucking character, let me spec it how I fucking want to, and fuck the elitists!

Then there's the Worgen starting.  There is only a mail box in the very beginning that I've found.  There is no point in starting them off human.  Why couldn't they just tell the story, then start when you get your mind back?  What was the point? 

I now have a lvl 9 Worgen Warrior that only had quest reward armor because I can't find an armorer.  I only just now got him started on a profession, when you can get them at lvl 5.  The Human area hasn't really changed, it just has new quests, so it's like I'm being penalized for making a Worgen because I can't do the things I can with others, like send it bags and gold.  They fixed what wasn't broke!  The phasing sucks ass because my boyfriend and I started together, and we have to stay together on those characters and can't mess around on our own. 

I can't figure out what to do with my hunter.  The pet commands like attack and stay are in the spellbook, but I can't put them any place.  What's worse is they got rid of mana, and replaced it with focus, that you have to use this stupid steady shot skill to replenish.   

Sorry, but I needed to bitch a little and get it off my chest.  I have another month to screw around with things.  Some things they did are good, while others are just pissing me off.   

Moreth

I so far have been very happy with Cataclysm so far as enjoying the raid content. It seems like there is definitely more to do compared with any of the previous expansions. I would tend to agree that the casual player in Cataclysm had some pretty big roadblocks with the learning curve going from normal dungeons to heroics.

Heroics do seem a bit highly tuned for the casual player who looks for a group using the dungeon finder. Especially the plight of the dps, who toils in a 45 minute cue only to get a heroic that may take two hours full of wipes. I imagine it will get better though as the overall gear level goes up.

I don't really feel too bad for most players though, people by the end of lich king complained how easy things had gotten. The instant things got harder they reversed their stance and griped about the level of challenge. I think it's an excellent expansion so far.

Callie Del Noire

Bayushi

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 12, 2011, 01:17:59 PMhttp://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2634-World-of-Warcraft-Cataclysm

One uber-fast talking, awesomely sarcastic Aussie's take on Wow:Cataclysm. :D

This had me laughing quite a fair bit. Difficult when you're attempting to eat something at the same time. >.<

Lyell

When you absolutely, positively have to kill it with fire...accept no substitutes.

Zaer Darkwail

Oh, DCUO has been released? How it looks so far?

Lyell

Suprizingly very clean. The models are limitted in shape, as are the sizes. (standard DC photogenics, in small, medium and large) The customization of character details however, is incredibly diverse. There are thousands, possibly tens of thousands of possible combinations of hair styles, costume tops and bottoms, emblems, colors and more unlocked as you play! Also, you can stick with a particular look without sacrificing stats. Appearance of gear is separate from equipped gear.

Travel is awesome. Super-speed (flash), flying (super man) or acrobatics (batman) my favorite. They were all done very well.

Gameplay is very active. Action oriented MMO. 'Tagging' doesn't exist. If you attack someting and someone else jumps in to help, they get credit too. Instances are also very soloable. Deffinately easier with friends, but depending on your skill level you may be able to do without.

The only downfall I can readily identify is that the chat and social functions are pretty clunky. SOE may or may not be taking steps to fix that.

This may or may not be a downside, but PC and PS3 servers are exclusive from eachother.
When you absolutely, positively have to kill it with fire...accept no substitutes.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, how about the mentor. How it affects char career? Does mentor teach stuff or give specific set of armor pieces? Also how dynamics works between power+movement power+weapon?

I have thinked make villain which is sorcery+kinetic blast thingy (both arms forward blast)+fligth. Ofc depending how soon/fast I get the game. Also is it similar subscrition options like WoW has? Like game cards in use?

Lyell

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 13, 2011, 01:05:40 AM
Ok, how about the mentor. How it affects char career? Does mentor teach stuff or give specific set of armor pieces? Also how dynamics works between power+movement power+weapon?

Your mentor affects where you start and starting quests after you get off Brainiac's ship. At 15th and 30th level, you'll receive mentor specific quests. Also, endgame (Iconic) armor varies by mentor.

Points are divided thusly, Power/Iconic power and Movement/Weapon, each set getting their own pool of points as you level. Movement skills are only combat related or only fast travel related.

Weapon skills change what your combos do when you tap or hold attacks in different patterns. This becomes important because typically just attacking randomly does incredibly less damage than combos.

Powers alter the battlefield in different ways. Gadget and mental alter the rules of battle, fire and ice are great attention getters and built to endure, and magic and plant users can extend the longevity of other heros or destroy others.

Iconic powers allow you to pull select powers from any category.

As for dynamics, it's really tuned so that any combo can be useful, and anything can be done. I sometimes use powers in place of finishers in the event that I need to switch targets now rather than later. You can interrupt combos to use powers with no break in the action.

QuoteI have thinked make villain which is sorcery+kinetic blast thingy (both arms forward blast)+fligth. Ofc depending how soon/fast I get the game. Also is it similar subscrition options like WoW has? Like game cards in use?

There is that option, but DCUO offers something unique... lifetime membership access.

Zaer Darkwail

Lifetime membership access.....meaning I pay once big sum of euros and I am member for good rest of my life (or exchistence of game/account at least)? How much or what is needed for that :).

So, are magic or plant users the 'healers' of DC universe or is it more close in bolstering others damage absortion or improving defensive maneuvering performance. Example; form forcefield as magic user to block dmg done to others for short time?

Also how combos are build? Also is there utility powers which are not related to movement nor combat (read something about magic users able 'disguise' to appear as someone else). Besides combat and exploring is there 'base of operations' what I have heard city of heroes/villains have (basically build own hideout/lair or is it possible future added feature). Also is there ability form guilds and such? Oh, also I assume from your words we get some basic set of powers but when you level you get more powers or variety to the one your using am I correct?

LunarSage

Quote from: Lyell on January 13, 2011, 02:57:55 AM
There is that option, but DCUO offers something unique... lifetime membership access.

While a lifetime membership is quite cool, it's nothing new.  LotRO and Champions Online have had those for quite some time.

I have a lifetime membership to Champions myself.  Just curious though, what's DCUO charging for theirs?  $200?

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Vincent

I remember way back, blizz offered lifetime wow memberships for 300. in like, the first three months. a friend of mine boughr one after being disconnected from a six day AV match as the finally pushed to van. He bought one on the spot. the next day, they hit 100,000 players and discontinued them. He felt sooo lucky =D
Douglas Adams

Vincent's D&Ds

Ideas.

Aiden

Hah, you guys will be back to wow give or take six months, enjoy your breaks from wow.  :P

Happened with Aion, Age of Conan then a few months later my friends do the walk of shame back to Wow. On top of that! I can no humiliate them further by using the friend broadcast system with battle.net.  >:)

Lyell

Quote from: LunarSage on January 13, 2011, 11:26:48 AM
While a lifetime membership is quite cool, it's nothing new.  LotRO and Champions Online have had those for quite some time.

I have a lifetime membership to Champions myself.  Just curious though, what's DCUO charging for theirs?  $200?
200 USD. Dunno how that converts regionally at the moment.

Quote from: Aiden on January 13, 2011, 01:20:05 PM
Hah, you guys will be back to wow give or take six months, enjoy your breaks from wow.  :P

WoW hasn't been able to hold my attention for more than 2 hours at a time recently. I seriously doubt I'm going back unless SOE pulls something stupid.

Vincent

The  one i`m on the look out for  is rifts.
Douglas Adams

Vincent's D&Ds

Ideas.

Flower