Interest Check: Generic Fantasy Inn

Started by Bliss, November 20, 2008, 11:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Mechs?  Really?  I'm a tad sketchy on how that would fit in... Maybe some type of golem-like construct that a person could ride in?  I SWEAR I'm going to make this work!!!

EDIT:  Just kidding, btw. :)
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Bliss

Quote from: Silver on November 24, 2008, 02:39:38 PM
So maybe this might be frowned upon I am not sure.

Actually first off who has heard of a 'Swan Maiden'
The phrase sounds familiar; is this a swan maiden like in terms of the fairy tale?

Quote from: Will1984 on November 24, 2008, 02:40:53 PM
Mechs?  Really?  I'm a tad sketchy on how that would fit in... Maybe some type of golem-like construct that a person could ride in?  I SWEAR I'm going to make this work!!!

*grin* A golem... I could see that working....
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Kalen

I was thinking more of a steampowered suit of armor... like a knight with treads, instead of a horse, and mechanical crossbows on the arms... like Iron Man, only by DaVinci instead of Stark?

Silver

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 02:41:29 PM
The phrase sounds familiar; is this a swan maiden like in terms of the fairy tale?

I guess a better term would me Swan Maiden or Swanmay.

I've played one for years on another game. it's the easier thing which I know how to do.
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Will

OMG!  If there are two of us, we can fight!  >: )  Of course, as a golem-riding mage, I'll be able to cast buffs and such.

- Jack Kerouac

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Silver on November 24, 2008, 02:39:38 PM
Actually first off who has heard of a 'Swan Maiden'

Swanmays?

Yeah, I've heard of them. Or at least of some version of them.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Bliss

Quote from: Kalen on November 24, 2008, 02:42:52 PM
I was thinking more of a steampowered suit of armor... like a knight with treads, instead of a horse, and mechanical crossbows on the arms... like Iron Man, only by DaVinci instead of Stark?

I can't really see the treads so much... but wheels, probably, on such a contraption.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 24, 2008, 02:47:12 PM
Swanmays?

Well then maybe the two of you can explain to the Game Mistress?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

http://www.sillof.com/C-Vict-Avengers.htm

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Maeven

Ok... correct me if I'm wrong, but this is all starting to feel like a world akin to the Final Fantasy world? Sort of an eclectic (I love that word, I've managed to use it twice today too... did someone put that in the words you love to say list yet?) mix of technology and magic...  You've got mechinar, simple guns, lots of different races and abilities, etc.

Am I on the right track here?
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Bliss

*shrug* You got me. I've never played nor been interested in Final Fantasy.

As a caveat to everyone though, this is Generic FANTASY Inn, not Generic SciFi Inn, so let's try to keep the mechanized things to a reasonable minimum, neh? :D
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 02:48:46 PM

Short version: Were-swan

Depending on what version you're going for, they're either someone that has been gifted with, or cursed with, the ability to change into a swan. In the gifted version, its a relatively at will thing, in the cursed version they can only change shape, or can be forced to change, under certain conditions.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kalen

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Maeven on November 24, 2008, 02:50:47 PM
Ok... correct me if I'm wrong, but this is all starting to feel like a world akin to the Final Fantasy world? Sort of an eclectic (I love that word, I've managed to use it twice today too... did someone put that in the words you love to say list yet?) mix of technology and magic...  You've got mechinar, simple guns, lots of different races and abilities, etc.

Am I on the right track here?

Either that, or its a tavern set in the Corridor of Doors, that ancient and mysterious artifact that seems to connect all worlds through hidden portals, that those powerfull enough, or lucky (unlucky?) enough can find and enter.

What happens if you step off the corridor between two doors? Well, no one really knows, but the few that have been known to try it have never been seen again.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Will

Just to reiterate, I really have no interest in mechas.  I was just kidding.  That steampunk page was awesome, though!  I may be able to get some ideas from that for another game... Thanks, HH!

- Jack Kerouac

Silver

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 24, 2008, 02:47:12 PM
Swanmays?

There are so many versions of them and so many legends.. it's hard to keep up at times.

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 02:48:46 PM
I can't really see the treads so much... but wheels, probably, on such a contraption.

Version 1:

The Swan Maiden is a mythical creature who shapeshifts from human form to swan form.[1][2] Despite the name, males are found in a small number of legends. The key to the transformation is usually a swan skin, or a garment with swan feathers attached.

Version 2:

Swanmays are a sisterhood of humanoids who can assume a swan form. In normal form, they resemble a slender, tawny, attractive human females, generally clad in light robes and some form of white, feathered garment. In swan form, they completely resemble swans.

Swanmays are all originally human females who were given their form of lycanthropy by voluntarily accepting a token, such as a feathered garment or signet ring, from a current swanmay. The true purposes of the swanmay sisterhood are not known, but they seem to be peaceful protectors of nature and in particular, water birds. They live in small lodges on the banks of lakes in deep forests, and these can generally be recognized by the large number of swans, and other water birds, located around them. Swanmay lodges are only lightly fortified against attacks, but contain two escape routes: a tunnel leading to the lake and a hatch onto the roof, which can be used by swanmays when in swan form. Swanmays seem to protect swans out of pity due to their similarity more than any other reason.

Swanmays are rather indistinguishable from normal humans when in normal form, but can assume the swan form at will (they have full control over their shapeshifting). Any garments they are wearing, particularly the feathered garments, become part of the plumage when they do so. Swanmays attack with whatever weapons they have when in normal form, but prefer to attack with their beaks and claws in swan form. Abhoring violence, swanmays will as soon fly away as attack. Swanmays rarely associate with other creatures, only communing regularly with feys, sylvan elves, and certain priests.

Version 3:

The Swan Maidens, or Swan May as they are sometimes known, are a form of nature spirit. They appear to be always female and only rarely encountered on the wilds. Even rarer is the appearance of one in the more civilized areas. Their exact origin is a mystery, like that of most of the woodland beings, for they are not overly given to discussing such personal matters. They are rather less sociable than most nature races, not sharing the same extroverted personalities, which even the most shy of Nymphs, will exhibit in comfortable surroundings. They are often depicted as the queens of the forest, aloof and serene, with all the grace and beauty the very name might suggest.
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Maeven

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 02:52:11 PM
*shrug* You got me. I've never played nor been interested in Final Fantasy.

As a caveat to everyone though, this is Generic FANTASY Inn, not Generic SciFi Inn, so let's try to keep the mechanized things to a reasonable minimum, neh? :D

*nods* Works for me.  

What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Will1984 on November 24, 2008, 02:58:02 PM
Just to reiterate, I really have no interest in mechas.  I was just kidding.  That steampunk page was awesome, though!  I may be able to get some ideas from that for another game... Thanks, HH!

No worries. I came across it on another forum. That guy basically scratchbuilds alternate versions of superheros .. victorian / gothic / steampunk mainly I think. He's also done steampunk Star Wars figures.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Haibane

Quote from: Kalen on November 24, 2008, 02:30:56 PMI think you're missing the point.
I'm not so sure. You might be missing mine ;)

The Kender, so I understand, has effects on people around it in a game system. Using the game rules. We have no game system, no dice-based rules, so a lot of the stuff HH is describing cannot be made to work. It can only work if the character the Kender is interacting with allows it to. A Kender's specific skills such as taunting are reduced to freeform roleplaying so it loses much of its ability.

QuoteHow would a kender deal with the Xenomorphs from Alien, for example?
It should die fast like everything else in the Tavern ;) If we had rules. As we are freeform the Kender might buy it a beer and tell it jokes... or teach it hopscotch. In a freeform game your guess is as good as mine. What I guarantee won't happen is in-character role-playing from the Xenomorph player ;) Because the Xenomorph is out of its 'game system' (aka a Hollywood movie, aka a 'script'). See?

Are you suggesting the Kenders powers (which seem to me to be kind of magic-based) will be useable in a freeform game? If so, how? How can the Kender make me annoyed by taunting me? How can the Kender suddenly find my 'interesting object x' in his hands unless the Kender player and I either agree beforehand that I have an 'interesting object x' or each player lists all their belongings.

Quotefrom Hairy Heretic:
Extremely curious, total lack of fear, a tendancy to find things and hold onto them for safekeeping so .. what, yours?  Well, yes, but you set it down there and I was afraid you'd forget it. I mean, its a good job I found it, or some unsavoury type might have walked off with it. Them. And those. That too. See, you're really careless about leaving stuff down, I mean, its a good job I'm around or you'd lose half your things in five minutes.
I can have a human wench character who behaves like that. That behaviour does not a Kender make.

I'm sure I'm missing something as no-one else is seeing this huge loophole in the logic that I am. I'm not saying we can't have Kenders (or Aliens or musket wielding Rangers) in the game, its just that Aliens and Kenders won't work they way they should, it'll all be down to free form character interaction because its not rule-based.

A general question, as we have guns and swords and such in the game:

How will fights be resolved?

If our matchlock wielding ranger X gets his musket out and shoots character Y, without a rule system to determine if he hit or not, that's... like not very fair on Y. Its the very basic levels of rolepaying... we can't work such events into a freeform game.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, or spoil things, I genuinely do not see how to easily resolve combat between multi-genre/multi-system creatures with access to a limitless variety of weapons unless we have a rule system... or utter confusion. How the Kender works in its taunting is basically a form of combat. Without a die roll to 'fail' her 'resist taunt' roll, my wench would be free to just ignore Hairy Heretic's taunting.

Or is combat banned?

Or am I way off target here and someone will please set me straight?

Quotefrom Kalen:
And yet, the inn is allowed to have mecha, guns, and anything else under the sun or moon?
Please tell me how mecha, guns and anything else vaguely violent will work.

Bliss

Haibane, if you keep insisting on fighting about things that everyone else seems to agree on, I don't think this game is going to be a good place for you to play.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

The way stuff like this tends to work is that each character would post their intent, and leave the results up to the other. If you play in character, it ought to be simple enough to resolve stuff, since one person will generally be better than the other, and the degree of difference would show in how the back and forth was written.

If two people are evenly matched, they can either work out the results between them, or ask the GM for a ruling. As long as all the players are reasonably non munchkiny, it tends to work ok. Besides, I don't see there being the need for that much combat. Bar brawls would be the most common I'd think.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Lordy when did all this happen? Anyway, I don't really know about this stuff it's interesting but my brain is becoming unpleasantly befuddled. I got my matchlock in with impunity. Impunity, I say! *Heroic music, and general fanfare!* :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Josietta

Ohhh you mean SteamPunk!

Quote from: Will1984 on November 24, 2008, 02:40:53 PM
Mechs?  Really?  I'm a tad sketchy on how that would fit in... Maybe some type of golem-like construct that a person could ride in?  I SWEAR I'm going to make this work!!!

EDIT:  Just kidding, btw. :)

Hows about a Pleasure Golem? The Book of Erotic Fantasy has such nice new spells and such... *grins*

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Josietta

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 24, 2008, 04:09:43 PM
The way stuff like this tends to work is that each character would post their intent, and leave the results up to the other. If you play in character, it ought to be simple enough to resolve stuff, since one person will generally be better than the other, and the degree of difference would show in how the back and forth was written.

If two people are evenly matched, they can either work out the results between them, or ask the GM for a ruling. As long as all the players are reasonably non munchkiny, it tends to work ok. Besides, I don't see there being the need for that much combat. Bar brawls would be the most common I'd think.

Yes with two mature people, who can bow out at times and take a blow, fights can be easily resolved. It just depends on the level of maturity, was well as the give and take of each player.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Will

Seriously, it's not Street Fighter.  If both people agree that the story and interaction are more important than who wins, then it's not really an issue.  *shrugs*  Besides, I don't think this is so much a game as an "in-character" social box.  You make your character, drop 'em in, play around with 'em and see what happens.  At least, that's my impression... I could be wrong.

- Jack Kerouac

Skye

Bliiiiiiisss! *Bounces up and down.* Can I play too?! *Needs to bring out a character from the vault.*
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]