News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

New bbcode tags

Started by Vekseid, May 31, 2011, 03:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saerrael

Suggestion.
It's a bit of a confusing tag. Maybe add something to make it stand out a bit from normally written text?
If that's at all doable, of course.

Jag

Quote from: Saerra on May 31, 2011, 09:41:20 PM
Suggestion.
It's a bit of a confusing tag. Maybe add something to make it stand out a bit from normally written text?

I agree with this.

While for people like me with longer usernames, it can be easy to tell when they are using the tag (tag says 'Michi No Sora' when most call me 'Michi'), there are people with shorter names with no nicknames that might find it odd.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Trieste

I think that probably some time should be given to get used to the change before people decide they don't like it. >.>

... [you]... ;)

Blitzy

One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Trieste

Kuroneko

Quote from: Oreo on May 31, 2011, 07:30:49 AM
It is rather funny since it sounds like the entire thread is talking about [you].

Wait, you mean it's not?  >.>

And here I felt so important for moment.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Blitzy

One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Caeli

I can see the <you> tag being utilized for a "choose your adventure" type of story, activity, or thread.

>.>
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Saerrael

Quote from: Trieste on May 31, 2011, 09:46:33 PM
I think that probably some time should be given to get used to the change before people decide they don't like it. >.>

... [you]... ;)

I didn't say I didn't like it, though. I can see it's potential. And, yes, you may be right. We might just have to get used to it, yes.
I do still think changing it (a bit) so it stands out from normal next would be better.
It was just an idea, though.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Saerra on May 31, 2011, 09:41:20 PM
Suggestion.

Nods to that, it's confusing in the same way as having five people called Nick in the team or class and not knowing who is being referred to when someone says "Nick, can you...". I really want to know whether people are talking to me or about me, or if the reference is just a generic you-ref.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Nadir

I keep having to hit the quote button to see if I'm being addressed or not! *dies and blames [you]*

Beguile's Mistress

I don't mind it unless I really want to know if my name is supposed to be there.  By reflex I would start ignoring it and that could result ignoring something truly meant for me.

I adjust quickly to things and adapt easily.  There are times when it's unnerving to see my name somewhere and even though I remind myself I'm the only one seeing it I'm left with wasting time to check for the tag or ignoring the post and possibly being rude.  I'm not disliking it, just finding it inconventient.

gaggedLouise

Mmm. With many of the names here, your "inner circle" of friends will drop attributes and/or shorten the name, so most of the time I'm addressed as Louise or Lou, "gagged" is dropped, and that's how I like it too. But it doesn't happen all the time. And with passages from posts quoted in pm's, it could get really tricky, let's say if the original post contained a "tagged you" but the one who quoted it didn't take care to remove the tag when he/she quoted it.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: alxnjsh on May 31, 2011, 09:29:59 PM
Yes, hence my request of using the name of the person that started the thread.

Not a big issue, but if the purpose was to make things easier...that would make things easier.

I'm not sure what you mean.  I came across an Intro thread where you asked your sports question and my name showed up in the greeting.  A new person would be confused by that.

Oniya

Alxnjsh was suggesting a different tag altogether, that would reference the person who started the thread, so that all people who entered that thread would see that name, not their own.  The [ you ] tag could easily confuse a new person if they go visiting intro threads other than their own, as they might think that an intro question meant for the thread-starter was intended for them.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kevben Battleheart

Quote from: Eden on May 31, 2011, 10:51:34 PM
I keep having to hit the quote button to see if I'm being addressed or not! *dies and blames [you]*
What in Russ's name??? What did I do? *goes to read the first few pages and is still confused* lol have I randomly been chosen for something I wasn't even aware of? Nope, lol, never mind I found the thing explaining it. lol, that really had me confused.
The Saga of Battleheart (O/O's)The Vault of Victory  ♥
The World of Adalern (currently closed to critiquing)
Tell one your thoughts, but beware of two. All know what is known to three.
Thought for the week: Harden your soul against decadence, but do not despise it for the soft appearance of the decadent may be deceiving.

HockeyGod

Quote from: Oniya on May 31, 2011, 11:46:48 PM
Alxnjsh was suggesting a different tag altogether, that would reference the person who started the thread, so that all people who entered that thread would see that name, not their own.  The [ you ] tag could easily confuse a new person if they go visiting intro threads other than their own, as they might think that an intro question meant for the thread-starter was intended for them.

I had to stop and think if you typed my name or used the bbcode.

:o

Oniya

I have a hard enough time remembering to use third-person singular verbs with the [ me] code.  It's going to take me at least a dozen tries to make it not come up as '[ you] were...'  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Will

The new clear tags are incredibly awesome!  I love them already.  The 'you' tag wasn't a complete surprise, but it is pretty funny nonetheless.  Creative people will find creative and creepy uses for it, I have no doubt. ::)
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Alysanthia

I am so freaking confused. Blames [you]...

HockeyGod

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on May 31, 2011, 11:20:08 PM
I'm not sure what you mean.  I came across an Intro thread where you asked your sports question and my name showed up in the greeting.  A new person would be confused by that.

I've been searching for it, but haven't found it - if you know which it is or run across it, can you let me know and/or change it for me? (That's a request for anyone that happens to see it, LOL) I tested it out and realized the issue after the fact.
Never mind...the genius that I am used the "show posts" and I just looked to see the one where I greeted myself. ;)

I think Oniya clarified my statement about what would be preferred. I can see the value in [ you ] for Mentor PMs, but for the intro thread, it is not helpful.

Vekseid

Yeah, [ you ] is meant for rather limited applications >_> It's more of a gag thing that people stick in signatures or for forum games.

Saerrael

Well, in that use it's perfect *grins*

Ty

This was possibly the best/worst thread to read backwards.

Attila

*reads through thread*

Umm... yeah.
"I do not run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run towards it, for the only way to escape fear -is to trample it beneath your feet."