Interest Check: Superheroes Vs Villains RP.

Started by Dramen, March 04, 2010, 06:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheVillain

I kind of agree, at this point I'm not sure a system is needed.

What if we just assign a referee in the event of a character doing something violent?
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

TheVillain

Actually, I decided to get off the fence and I'd prefer it if there's no system. Let's just all agree that if your character gets too munchkiny then it gets eaten by a sandworm. Deal?
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

WyzardWhately

Well, if we'd lose people over having a system, we probably should just forgo it. 

That being said...

MURPG uses bidding instead of dice.  Bidding is blind, so there's some guesswork which takes the place of randomization. 

More specifically, you have ratings in various attributes (powers, skills, abilities, etc.), and a pool of stones.  If you want to, say, blast someone with your laser eyes, then you'd bid stones for your attack and they'd bid for their defense.  The reveal is simultaneous.  The numerical rating of the attribute is the maximum number of stones you can bid, and your pool refreshes by a certain amount each round.

This is probably doable via a PBP format, if we had a referee to whom both participants could PM their bids for a given round.  There's more complexity to the game than just that, of course, but I'm not going to type out more than is necessary to get a feel for it.

However, I don't particularly *like* MURPG, and I don't think overall I'd recommend it.  Character generation is complex enough that we'd need someone to make character sheets to order for those not familiar, and the game is pretty easily breakable - some concepts or types of characters are very much advantaged over others, in ways that aren't necessarily reflective of the genre.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Black Orchid

I'm going to say right now, I don't like systems—especially in this sense since I feel this is more story playing than card/dice/level playing games—but I don't want to influence my hate for them. As said before, we're adults here, and I'm sure with a strong story hold, and a little PM with another, we could make an agreement on who wins what fight and when.

I'm very—no—extremely lenient when it comes to being a winner or a loser, so I find myself easily falling into anyone's storyline they have set when interacting with my character. I feel a system is for those who cant bare to forfeit a fight and actually lose for a change, so they allow the systems to forcefully decide for them, but like before, we are adults, we can have a pleasant PM over how a fight would go about, and list why we feel our character would win such battles.

With our strengths and weakness, it's obvious who should truly win; like say, if my character had super speed, but get's easily distracted, and another character had some kind of super sound wave, but can't really move when they shoot the wave in a certain direction. Super Speed Man could win because he could dodge the sound waves, and hit Sound Wave Guy while he's currently frozen in his vibrating screech/ or Super Speed Man could lose by being knocked out of his speed by the raking sound Waves that Sound Wave Guy threw at him. Something liked that, chatting over a PM, and we should be able to respectively come to an agreement.
Such a lovely garden of Orchids; just be wary of the black ones...
O&O of a Flower

When to Bloom and When to Wilt.

TheVillain

Oh, like that. And for the record, so far from what I've seen my guy will probably lose if it's a fair fight. True, he's also the type to avoid a fair fight as much as possible- but if it does happen best he can hope for is hiding.

Elven Sex Goddess

Name:  BAD
(Bodacious Action Dame)

Original Name: Raquel Hunter

Powers:  Regenerative;  the ability to self heal.  In amazing fashion, from broken bones to open gaping wounds.  Is suspected she has the ability to regenerate from a single cell.  Through this has never been put to the test. 
Olympic class athlete;  Physically conditioned as a Olympic athlete.   Highly skilled Alpine skier,  mountain climber, sky diver and scuba diver.   
Judo; rank of 10th Dan (red belt)   only a handful in the world reach this level at a time.
Connections;  Connected to the extreme action sports culture and world.   

Weaknesses:  Power handicap;  Aside from her regenerative power.   Bad is no where near the scope of the heavy hitters.   Despite being a world class Olympic athlete and a red belt in Judo.   
Bimbo factor;   Bad is highly intelligent,  but her lack of common sense.   Is so brazen, it puts her in a whole new class of bimbo.   In which she makes the 'house bunny' (movie) look like a valedictorian.

Physical Stats:  Hair color/style;  Black / long voluptuous full body, eye color; brown, height; 5'4" (162.6 cm), weight; 127lbs (57.6 kg),  measurements; 34C - 24 - 36.
Bio:  Racquel hails originally from  Galena, Illinois.   From a well to do family of upper society.   That had vacation homes from Aspen, Colorado,   to Key West Florida.   At one time,  Raquel was on the junior circlet with Alpine skiing.  As she had aspirations to skiing in the Olympics.    It is at the age of thirteen that she had a siginicant accident on one of the slopes.  Where her femur broke in such a way from a fall on the slopes.  It actually broke skin and protruded.   However,  by the time she was airlifted to the hospital.   Her leg was no longer broken,  nor was the bone sticking out of her skin.    This would lead to a daring bodacious attitude of hers that she would push things to the limit.   From turning to sky diving,  how fast she could take her bike up to.   The adrenalin rush is a big high.

Now her moral compass is not so clear cut.   As she borders on a real gray area of morals.    Really as to which side she falls.  A heroine or villain babe, just depends who does the greatest sell job to her.   Because the real truth in her world.  Is not right or wrong.  But  that rush of adrenalin junkie she is.

Through the moniker as a super, is perhaps a stretch.  However, what ever side Raquel falls into.  She is a quite capable side kick.  Thou not limited with no potential for growth.    With additional gadgets,  the adrenalin junkie could be transformed into a super type and not just a side kick.   Speaking of growth and improvement.   Raquel is currently taking lessons for acquiring her pilot's license.   As she looks for new avenues to explore for that rush.   

Finally super or side kick or both can simply be tossed out the window.   For she is the Mary Jane that can survive, thanks to her unique mutant gene factor of regeneration.  That a hero or villain can get close to.   With not fearing that his enemies will use this against him, by going after her. 

(Work in progress)

Well here is my first stab at submitting a character.    Can go either way with her.     An free form be fine.   

Dramen

Nice Elven Sex Goddess! Love the pic too.

Yeah I don't think we need to use any kind of system either. Lets just start it free-form as has been discussed here and then we'll figure out solutions to problems as we go.

So I'm going to start the official page soon. Do I move this page or start a new one? Who knows how that works? LoL help...

CaptainErotica

I agree about not using a system. I merely threw MURPG out there as a suitable system should we decide to use one.

Here is my character I am thinking about playing. I actually made him for a MURPG game, so he will need a few tweaks, mostly to his age and stuff. I left it in MURPG format in case anyone was interested in what a character might look like. I'll make a new sheet before we start.

Also is he ok with everyone else? I'm asking mostly in regards to the fact that anyone involved in an erotic scene with him, might be subject to some pretty kinky stuff (slime and slime tentacles).

NAME: Slimeball /Wade Phoenix
TYPE: Mutant
Supporting Characters:
- Sarah Phoenix- Younger Sister by two years. He is a Junior in high school she is a freshman. Sarah looks up to him as her big brother and he strives to be the perfect big brother as well. She doesn't know his secret, but suspects something is up with him. Her current theory is that he has finally found a girlfriend worth keeping, but doesn't want his family to know.

- Lex Dexus- QB of the football team and one of Wade's longtime friends. Though he doesn't know his secret he is worried about the changes leading a double life have been causing. He currently thinks that Wade has found himself in trouble with the local mafia because he recently stumbled across Wade after a particualrly tough fight which left him with a few minor injuries.

- Candy Phoenix- Wade's mother. Though she pretends not to know his secret she has known for more than a month now. Although she worries for him she can see the good he is doing and has thus decided to keep quiet -for now.
--------------------------------
ABILITIES:
-------------------------------
Int 3
Str 4
Agi 5
Spd 5
Dur 6

Health: 6
Energy 18
Recovery 6
-------------------------------------
ACTIONS:
-------------------------------------
Mastery of Slime 4
- Must transform into eleement to use this action. transformation takes 1 panel.
- Create walls, barrier, objects
- Slime Blast.Physical damage is halved. Entangle damage is doubled.
- Entangle option to all Mastery effects, with the sticky option
- Immune to effects
- May buy toughness at -1, but only useable while transformed
-May buy Wall Crawling at -1
- may buy Web Slinging at -1
- May buy Weapons Morphing at -1, but may only use when transformed and max weapon modifier is +1.

Close Combat 3
- Agility Bonus or Weapon Modifier
- (sp)Body Weaponry
- (sp) Martial Arts
- (sp)acrobatic combat

Acrobatics 3
- agility bonus

Social 3
- (sp) Sports Culture
- (sp) Teen Culture
- (sp) High School Jock

Wall Crawling 4
- Agilty Bonus

Slime Slinging 4
- As Web Slinging
- Agilty Bonus

Football 3
-(sp) Recieving
- (sp) Route running
- (sp) rules and regulations
------------------------------------
MODIFIERS:
---------------------------------
Tougness 6
- bought with Mastery, but may only use when transformed.
- ablative defense. Each point of damage lowers the MN by 1 for the current panel. MN returns to full at the start of each panel.

Weapons Morphing +1
- bought with Mastery
- Telescoping

CHALLENGES
Looks non human when transformed- Green slime (3w)
High School Student (1w)
Secret ID (2w)

----------------------------
Bio
---------------------------
Wade is a seventeen year old high school student attending Midtown High. He is also the football teams star receiver. He is also pretty popular at school. Unlike most in his position however, Wade is actually a pretty nice guy. He even sticks up for the nerds and losers when his fellow jocks get too carried away.

A few months ago while at the annual Homecoming Bonfire Wade wanderedo ff ot take a leak. As he was finishing pu he noticed something strange. A pile of some strange grenish yellow goo. As he knelt closer the goo suddenly came to life lauching itself at him and landing on his arm. he tried to yell out, but could not find his ovice to do so. The goo spread soon enveloping him in a caccoon of slime.

Just as suddenly the goo seemed to evaporate into thin air, but in reality it had seeped into his pores and merged with his DNA. Wade shook his head and tried to tell himself he had imagined the whole thing. He went back to the party thinking nothing of it.

Two nights later he learned the truth when the slime, which is actually an alien symbiote -unrelated to Venom. The slime manifested itself and helped him deter a would be mugging of an elderly couple. Visions of his favorite comic book hero, spider-Man filled his head. He decided to become a hero, just like Spidey.

It has been hard trying tom aintain a double life. He does his best to do well in school and still plays football, while playing hero in his spare time. Unfortunately being a hero is starting to look like a full time job and is starting to affect his secret identity.

So far his secret is still safe. Despite the risks to his personal life he continues to fight crime under the codename of Slimeball.

WyzardWhately

Name: Starlight

Original Name: Derek Tenenbaum

Powers: Derek Tenenbaum was granted a cosmic ring, to use protecting the world from superpowered or alien dangers, due to his great will and courage.
Cosmic Ring: The ring has many functions, minor and major.  Major functions include protecting him with force fields, allowing him to fly, providing life support, and the ability to attack with energy or create "hard energy" constructs.  The ring can theoretically form anything he can imagine, but in practice it's limited by his finite knowledge and experience.  He could create a sword, a flashlight, or a motorcycle, but not a teleportation device or an effective surgical robot.  Minor functions include language translation, various types of scanning, transforming his clothing into a costume, turning itself (but not him) invisible, and various artificially intelligent information applications that he frankly doesn't understand and can't be bothered with.  The ring also keeps him in good health so long as he wears it, but this doesn't really amount to more than the typical comic book hero's resilience.
Badass: Derek isn't a world-class athlete or high-ranking martial artist, but he's in good enough shape to wear a tight costume without embarrassing himself, can handle himself impressively well in a fight, and is certainly one of the most fearless people on the planet.  This is a quality that might never have been noticed without being selected for a ring, but it does allow him to rise to heights of heroism unattainable by normal people.  His will and courage allow him to overcome pain and fear that would stop a normal (saner?) person.

Weaknesses:
Item Dependent: Without the ring, Derek is nothing more than a competent and very brave baseline human.  He could potentially manage some action-movie stunts, but wouldn't be a match for a reasonable supervillain or a bear* in a fair fight.
Starlight Power:  The ring is weak against Darkforce.  Normal darkness flees before the ring's light, but supernatural or animate darkness and shadow can overwhelm his energy constructs and temporarily dampen the ring's powers.
Mask Addict: Derek loves being a superhero, more than anything.  He's gradually shedding more and more of his normal life and spending increasing amounts of time in-costume.  Derek is disappearing and Starlight is more and more his "real" self.  If anything ever happened to take the ring away, Derek would probably do anything to "get back in the game."

Physical Stats: Derek is 5'11", and in good shape but not a bodybuilder.  He has blue eyes, sandy hair, and a few tattoos that would be covered by a t-shirt and shorts.  There are a few scars on his body, a handful of them worthy of remark. (But nothing has left a scar since he started wearing the Ring...)

Bio: Derek was a talented but directionless young man before he found the ring.  He had spent some time as a soldier, some working on a ship, a period as a firefighter and an EMT, a brief stint in chef school (he never finished), has worked as a reporter and a PI.  He'd pick a profession, get his license, start to do well, get bored, and move onto something else that interested him.  But then...he found the ring.  While doing his first solo rounds as a Park Ranger, something silver fell from the sky and spoke to him.  It told him he had been selected for his great courage and willpower, and clamped onto his hand.  Ever since, he's had the most exciting and challenging job anyone could imagine. 

If only he could figure out a way to make it pay something...

*This is what superhero RPG lovers refer to as "the bear test" for new PCs.  What would a given PC do if confronted by a hostile, but otherwise normal, bear.  Any PC who can't escape or defeat the bear is probably underpowered.  This is especially useful when deciding whether or not to accept the results of a particularly perverse bout of rolling in a random character generation system.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0

Dramen

Those all look really good. I'm going to start the official RP here soon. I'll post the link when I have it up. Then we can take everything to that forum. 

Thanks so much for the interest!! I can't wait to get started. Though really there's no rush.

WyzardWhately

Incidentally, I welcome any feedback people feel up to giving about my character, either in-thread or via PM.

TheGlyphstone

Late out of the starting gates, but will the current ratio be able to support another male player of either faction?

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Trinity on March 05, 2010, 08:34:59 PM
I might be interested in this, depending on characters, setting, ect.

That's a good question, actually.  What kind of setting are we looking at?

Dramen

I have the official threads started.

This is the link to the main page which has links to the characters sheet and the OOC sheet. I haven't started it yet but we can put the characters onto that character page.

Main RP

Lets do it... :P

TheGlyphstone

Um...thumbs up/down? I've got an interesting idea for an evil psychic bouncing around, but scanning over the thread shows 3 male heroes, 1 female heroine/sidekick, and 1 male villain + 1 female villain. A bit tilted in favor of 'male' and 'hero', but I can only solve one of those problems. :/

EDIT: Included. Now it's just imbalanced in favor of 'male hero'. I think I can let myself start working then, help Team Evil even the odds a bit. :D

Black Orchid

Mark up one villainess; I've made my character and posted her.

I've just realized something I wanted to add; should we place something, like a big sign saying Superhero/Neutral/SuperVillain above or below our characters, or something? Just so we don't get confused?
Such a lovely garden of Orchids; just be wary of the black ones...
O&O of a Flower

When to Bloom and When to Wilt.

Dramen

I think thats a great idea Black Orchid... Lets do it.

Lupus of Inritus

I happen to be interested. Elven Sex Goddess' suggestion of Mutants and Masterminds as a base furthered that. I'm in a bit of a dilemma though, I have a char in my box that I'd like to use but Elven beat me to the regeneration thing.
I'd still like to join though, if people wouldn't mind? My char is more a female Wolverine/Sabertooth style with the regeneration and basic abilities though. Feral, basically. I can post the info to be looked over beforehand if you'd like.
How to properly flick the switch ..-|- Hidding place ..

˙ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ɟo ɹǝʇʇɐɯ ɐ sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌƎ

WyzardWhately

Quote from: SYKOPTH on March 06, 2010, 05:04:34 PM
I'd still like to join though, if people wouldn't mind? My char is more a female Wolverine/Sabertooth style with the regeneration and basic abilities though. Feral, basically. I can post the info to be looked over beforehand if you'd like.

IMHO: A little power overlap isn't bad.  It's concept overlap that hurts.  Think how many heroes have super-strength and some degree of invulnerability.  Even in the Big Seven JLA, there are two with heat vision, four with superspeed, and five with superstrength.  Doubling up on regen isn't even vaguely weird.

Lupus of Inritus

The concept behind her is ... I don't have a word for it. She was born here in the states in the area of the 1850's. She was born with inhuman traits, similar to Sabertooth, so she was sold to a circus. She was saved by another feral at a point, and was then looked after by them. She has a general dislike for human's because of the way she was treated. She has perhaps a deeper dislike for those with abilities who can pass as normal, because until recent years she couldn't. Regardless of her dislike, she will not tollerate people being mistreated.
How to properly flick the switch ..-|- Hidding place ..

˙ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ɟo ɹǝʇʇɐɯ ɐ sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌƎ

TheGlyphstone

Name: Puppeteer

Original Name:Dr. Yuri Fantanovich

Quote: 'A mind is a terrible thing to waste - I think I'll make use of yours.'

Powers:
Psychic Possession: Dr. Fantanovich can project his consciousness out of his current host body into that of any other body in view, typically immediately displacing the person's mind and taking direct control himself. While dwelling inside a host body, he treats it as though it were his own, including any paranormal abilities they might have. This does not give him immediate access to knowledge or memories of the host, though the host's mind remains intact and he can mentally interrogate the captive mind for whatever he needs. Unusually powerful or determined minds can resist his control or even forcibly eject him, but they are extremely rare, and anyone he dominates for an extended period of time typically ends up with significant mental trauma.
Post-Possession Suggestions: Upon taking over a host body, Dr. Fantanovich can implant any number of hidden  commands into the host's subconscious, set to trigger at a specific time or in response to a certain stimulus after he leaves them. These commands can be of almost any nature, and when triggered, take effect with the same force as if he were still in direct control, making the average person unable to resist carrying out the instructions.
Functional Immortality: Dr. Fantanovich's mind is tied to his current host body, and he can transfer between them almost instantaneously. His bodies continue to age as normal, but he can easily just pick up a new host whenever he desires. As a side effect, this makes him extremely difficult to capture, since he can abandon his current body and flee into any nearby bystander to escape or continue fighting.

Weaknesses:
Host Body Dependency: The bodiless essence that remains of the original Yuri Fantanovich is effectively helpless, and cannot survive long outside a host. His physical capabilities are completely dependent on those of the body he is currently occupying, and the unstable nature of his cloning techniques limits what he can build into self-made bodies to merely above average, far from outright superhuman. Attempts to possess superhumans or abmortals usually result in failure, since they often have exceptional willpower to coincide with their power. Repeated body-jumping in close sucession also rapidly depletes his energy, forcing him to retreat and recuperate. Similarly, he has no combat training or athletic practice himself, and cannot extract such training from dominated minds, only make use of the physical side effects.
Single Presence: Although his ability to implant hypnotic suggestions into people allows him a large supply of potential pawns, he is only capable of directly controlling one host at a time. An abandoned host immediately regains full control of its body, though he frequently embeds commands that prevent an ex-host from becoming a threat to him, and the psychological trauma of his presence is still harmful.
Megalomania: Spending every sleepless moment as a tormented, spirit-like creature isn't healthy for anyone's psyche. 'Puppeteer', as he frequently takes to calling himself, considers every other person on Earth to be inferior to him and at best worthy of being a potential host, which frequently results in his underestimating potential foes. Even after being defeated by them, his self-assurance is such that he will quickly dismiss it as a fluke and remain confident in his eventual triumph.

Physical Stats:
Variable. Dr. Fantanovich/Puppeteer wears bodies like cheap rubber gloves, and discards them almost as casually if the situation merits it.

Biography:
Yuri was once a brilliant scientist, holding doctorates in both neurology and applied genetics, alongside lesser degrees in an assortment of other fields. Unfortunately, his keen interest in fringe science and outright paranormal phenomena meant he frequently struggled for funding to support his experiments and research. He worked with self-proclaimed psychics reportedly capable of performing astral projection, or otherwise sending their minds out of their bodies, scrutinizing their geonomes for a common similarity that could be the root cause. Eventually, he thought he had succeeded, and set to splicing the deviant code in question into the most deserving test subject - himself. It worked...partly. He gained the ability to separate his mental essence from its physical body...but once he did so, he did not know how to return.

Bodiless and helpless, the sensations drove him a little bit mad, and his brain-dead former body expired long before he worked out how to insert himself back into a physical shell. This didn't bother him unduly anymore, though, since he found himself with the ability to take over a body regardless of if it was already occupied, the previous owner reduced to a screaming ghost in their own mind. He needed funding, and used his power to get it, taking over hosts and forcing them to transfer assets to numbered foreign accounts that he later emptied, purchasing the equipment he needed to continue his research.

WyzardWhately

Huh.  Body-theft opens up an unbelievable arena of potential sex crimes.  Pose as anyone in order to fuck someone that person can get close to...that's crazy-hot.

TheGlyphstone

And if you did so, who got raped? At least two bodies and three people, only one of which gave legitimate and knowledgable consent. A woman having sex with her husband would be consensual, but if he was currently being possessed/mind-controlled, now she's actually with someone else who she didn't consent to (a similar example, I'm pretty certain it's rape if a woman agrees to sex with their husband/boyfriend and the man's twin brother takes his place without her knowledge). For that matter, what about the guy? He probably didn't agree to have his body used this way...did he get raped too, and was it by the woman or by the person doing the possession?

My head hurts now.

WyzardWhately

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 06, 2010, 07:38:36 PM
And if you did so, who got raped? At least two bodies and three people, only one of which gave legitimate and knowledgable consent. A woman having sex with her husband would be consensual, but if he was currently being possessed/mind-controlled, now she's actually with someone else who she didn't consent to (a similar example, I'm pretty certain it's rape if a woman agrees to sex with their husband/boyfriend and the man's twin brother takes his place without her knowledge). For that matter, what about the guy? He probably didn't agree to have his body used this way...did he get raped too, and was it by the woman or by the person doing the possession?

My head hurts now.

Well, you can rape a comatose person, so I'd say you'd also have raped the body of the person who you were inhabiting, at least under common-law rape where a judge has some discretion.  IT might not hit the exact statutory definition in the real world, but we can assume that in a world where there are superpowers, shit like this WILL be illegal.

I was thinking more like some forcible incest or incestuous seduction, if we had anyone whose kinks ran that way.  Simple SO/Spouse stuff is also potentially pretty crazy.

TheGlyphstone

Yup, my possibilities are limitless and quite kinky. ;D