Interest Check - Star Trek - The Original Series or prior?

Started by Devil's Advocate, February 14, 2013, 09:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Branwen on February 15, 2013, 05:24:33 AM
Devil's Advocate, I'd like to be considered for a spot on the crew.  My preference would be for the original, old series.

Spot is reserved and warmed up for you.
O/o's

A/a's

The trouble with resisting temptation is that is may never come again!

Ascia

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 15, 2013, 06:57:57 PM

The overwhelming favorite seems to be the TOS (The Original Series for those not geeky enough to know the abbreviation).  I am inclined to stay away from the Abrams world, though it is intriguing to much with.  I'm thinking that we go, say a few years after went TOS movies ended and when Excelsior class starships were causing the Constitutions to be retired.

Everyone interested, say "AYE" and I'll create an OOC place and then an information area, and character sheet info, etc.

Aye?

The setting doesn't as much matter to me. I'm well versed in Trek; LUG, FASA, Decipher. I've personally thumbed through the Trek Encyclopedia at least thrice. Ran more than a few Trek games in future timelines, past timelines, mirror timelines, you name it. Point? I'll be able to write in any Trek setting you guys give me.

And really, does Abramsverse or not Abramsverse matter? I don't imagine we'll be sticking hardcore to canon, making either an AU for our working however we see fit to work it for our game. =) So the only difference is...one has Vulcan, one doesn't have Vulcan. lol

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Ascia on February 15, 2013, 07:17:25 PM
Aye?

The setting doesn't as much matter to me. I'm well versed in Trek; LUG, FASA, Decipher. I've personally thumbed through the Trek Encyclopedia at least thrice. Ran more than a few Trek games in future timelines, past timelines, mirror timelines, you name it. Point? I'll be able to write in any Trek setting you guys give me.

And really, does Abramsverse or not Abramsverse matter? I don't imagine we'll be sticking hardcore to canon, making either an AU for our working however we see fit to work it for our game. =) So the only difference is...one has Vulcan, one doesn't have Vulcan. lol

Impressive, you may be Trekkier than I.  :)
O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

RubySlippers

Okay I want to play a Q Borg Changeling how about it?

j/k

;D

Ascia

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 07:29:53 PM
Okay I want to play a Q Borg Changeling how about it?

j/k

;D

Seriously, you two?  That's super hot funny.  I hope all the chemistry carries over.
O/o's

A/a's

RubySlippers

Okay I'm all for the original setting at long as the adventures are the same come one the defeated Apollo, fought Mobsters and beat up on Nazis how can you go wrong AND the uniforms are the cute 60's dress things for the ladies.  ;D

Branwen

Speaking of which, are the roles going to be gender limited like the original series, or are they going to be more open?  I'm fine either way, I was just curious.

And who's captaining this thing?  You, DA, or an NPC or a PC?

AndyZ

I'm going to step aside.  I'm not fully caught up on TOS yet and it looks like this is invariably going to contain spoilers.  Nothing's been messed up for me yet but I'd rather not risk it.  Have fun everyone.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Ascia

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 07:35:14 PM
Okay I'm all for the original setting at long as the adventures are the same come one the defeated Apollo, fought Mobsters and beat up on Nazis how can you go wrong AND the uniforms are the cute 60's dress things for the ladies.  ;D

That's true. The short skirts are a plus.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 07:35:14 PM

Well, if we go with the 60s outfits, that would be prior to the movie settings but I'm more than OK with that.  In the later TOS movies, they had the red uniforms with the white trim and bars, if I recall.

But yes, you're in the right era, Ruby.  Love the TOS memories.  The Horizon game would be the one where the book was left behind for your mobsters in "A Piece of the Action."  But we'll save that game as stated before.

Quote from: Branwen on February 15, 2013, 07:40:44 PM
Speaking of which, are the roles going to be gender limited like the original series, or are they going to be more open?  I'm fine either way, I was just curious.

And who's captaining this thing?  You, DA, or an NPC or a PC?

No gender limitations.  Roddenberry didn't intend there to be any and I'm not going to have any.  It just was a tough sell for the networks.  Remember, in the Cage, the original number one was female.

As to Captaining, it would be me or an NPC by me.  Either way, it is me.  :)  I have found that's the easiest way to throw overall plot at folks.

Quote from: AndyZ on February 15, 2013, 07:45:35 PM
I'm going to step aside.  I'm not fully caught up on TOS yet and it looks like this is invariably going to contain spoilers.  Nothing's been messed up for me yet but I'd rather not risk it.  Have fun everyone.

Spoilers?  Not sure what you mean but feel free to keep it open.  Always room for new crew members if and when you feel ready. 

Quote from: Ascia on February 15, 2013, 07:47:31 PM
That's true. The short skirts are a plus.

Hm.  Looking like the TOS era during the TV show is winning. 
O/o's

A/a's

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 14, 2013, 10:20:22 PM
OH NO!  No Enterprise!  We (this is the royal "we" of me, myself and I) do not do that.  I don't consider it canon.

You're a man after my own heart.  O8)

I could definitely get into a TOS-era adventure built around your second concept. (Why not on the USS Constitution? I've always wondered what the leading ship of the class got up to, and IIRC she never gets a mention in TOS canon.)
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

RubySlippers

Anyway if you include the core races and the many Federation near human races ones close to humans like natives of Risa it should give options for role-playing. And some room to be creative if one doesn't want to be a core big race directly.

Branwen

Just out of curiosity, what role or position does everyone want to play?  Because it might help some people trying to decide if they know other people had definite preferences.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on February 15, 2013, 08:09:34 PM
You're a man after my own heart.  O8)

I could definitely get into a TOS-era adventure built around your second concept. (Why not on the USS Constitution? I've always wondered what the leading ship of the class got up to, and IIRC she never gets a mention in TOS canon.)

Cyrano - Good to meet/have another ENT hater on board.

It could be the flagship but my tendency right now is to lean towards a made up Constitution.  I do have Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise and do use that for the ship specifications, in case anyone cares/needs the info.

Quote from: Branwen on February 15, 2013, 08:28:24 PM
Just out of curiosity, what role or position does everyone want to play?  Because it might help some people trying to decide if they know other people had definite preferences.

It likely would.  As we have things defined currently, we're going on a Constitution class star ship set in the same time frame that Kirk's enterprise was floating about on the TV series (so we have Red-shirts and mini-skirts in uniforms).

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 08:16:32 PM
Anyway if you include the core races and the many Federation near human races ones close to humans like natives of Risa it should give options for role-playing. And some room to be creative if one doesn't want to be a core big race directly.

I will.  I used to have a website on this from my old game.  I'm currently looking it up and will have to modify it a bit, obviously.
O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 15, 2013, 07:49:21 PM
Well, if we go with the 60s outfits, that would be prior to the movie settings but I'm more than OK with that.  In the later TOS movies, they had the red uniforms with the white trim and bars, if I recall.

Our game, why should uniform dictate timeline? Wouldn't be killing canon for there to be some female officers with skirts, some with pants. Female members of the US Navy, for example, can wear a skirt one day and camis the next if it doesn't conflict with local command policy.  There's even canon precedent for this when movie and show uniforms began to get intermingled in use before the last revision that stuck with DS9 and Nemesis. So if we wanted to go for as much IC freedom as we could, that's an option. One that's really not a huge stretch.

QuoteRemember, in the Cage, the original number one was female.

I so almost posted this fact earlier! lol That's awesome.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Branwen on February 15, 2013, 08:28:24 PM

Chief of the Boat like a Master Chief Petty Officer.

http://memory-gamma.wikia.com/wiki/Chief_of_the_boat

I would basically be the seasoned and generally trained badass who tends to the enlisted people on the ship and can be counted on to have that odd skill set being a jack of all trades due to being around in the service and working at all kinds of skills. As she would put it one never knows when knowing how to fix a communicator might come in handy or having that working skill piloting and basic ship systems repair. A natural landing party choice.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Ascia on February 15, 2013, 08:44:20 PM
Our game, why should uniform dictate timeline? Wouldn't be killing canon for there to be some female officers with skirts, some with pants. Female members of the US Navy, for example, can wear a skirt one day and camis the next if it doesn't conflict with local command policy.  There's even canon precedent for this when movie and show uniforms began to get intermingled in use before the last revision that stuck with DS9 and Nemesis. So if we wanted to go for as much IC freedom as we could, that's an option. One that's really not a huge stretch.

You have a very valid point, Ascia....  I think, if memory serves me right, I may have done this the last time I wrote a TOS game.  I will give this a little more thought.

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 08:50:05 PM
Chief of the Boat like a Master Chief Petty Officer.

http://memory-gamma.wikia.com/wiki/Chief_of_the_boat

I would basically be the seasoned and generally trained badass who tends to the enlisted people on the ship and can be counted on to have that odd skill set being a jack of all trades due to being around in the service and working at all kinds of skills. As she would put it one never knows when knowing how to fix a communicator might come in handy or having that working skill piloting and basic ship systems repair. A natural landing party choice.

Our first red shirt? :)
O/o's

A/a's

RubySlippers

Well they seem to focus on command, operations or medical for nco paths so likely would be command but with lots of skills she is not likely to be security which in TOS is pretty limited to classic security. Helm and Navigation operated the shields and weapons for example.

I picture the classic she was selected for the ship to oversee and tend to the enlisted people as a liason and to crack heads before an officer is noticing anything, the go to person for help when your enlisted and yes like Chief O'Brian has ample skills in her case more command and leadership with experience and stints in various training schools. I'm looking at a human likely around her late 30's who enlisted at eighteen and had a good career. Likely in her last decade before retirement with her 30 years in so could be on her last long tour.

Branwen

That sounds very clever and useful, RubySlippers.  She could also be someone very junior offices take leadership cues from.

Cyrano Johnson

My character concept would be a male Deltan CMO. In my mind's eye I'm casting Yul Brynner in the role.

Branwen

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on February 15, 2013, 09:03:45 PM
My character concept would be a male Deltan CMO. In my mind's eye I'm casting Yul Brynner in the role.

Sex to the E!  Wow.  He's seriously hot.

RubySlippers

Remember your vow of celibacy then Deltan no hanky-panky for you.

But the COB could be assigned to any role the Captain trumps chain-of-command but I would have wrath of god powers any enlisted person doing something to disrespect the uniform comes before her not the officers in most cases, you might wish it was the First Officer your dealing with before she is done. I could technically even reduce a grade in rank or cut pay or do other things to punish someone but would also be the good person to go to.

Odds are if a crewman has a problem its her problem.

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Branwen on February 15, 2013, 09:07:28 PM
Sex to the E!  Wow.  He's seriously hot.

Had him some serious charisma, too. It's a shame the real Trek franchise never got hold of him, he would have delivered some awesome Trek alien mojo.