Interest Check - Star Trek - The Original Series or prior?

Started by Devil's Advocate, February 14, 2013, 09:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ascia

I just made the same point as Ruby. <3 Sorry!

Look at the issue from another standpoint: The United Federation of Planets is the city on the hill. It's the galactic utopia. There is no poverty, there is no hunger (both untrue, but for the most part on the nice Federation worlds it's true), and their military is taught to seek peaceful solutions even after you've been fired on first. They're open minded and open handed. I can't imagine the Federation saying to even a Romulan, "Nono. We won't even give you the chance to come be part of Starfleet and the Federation."

Does that sound like the Federation or Star Trek to you?

Phaia

What I am seeing is that A counselor is a position aboard Starfleet vessels and installations, usually held by a senior Starfleet officer with training in psychology.
Qualified psychiatrists served aboard starships during the 23rd century. Occasionally, the role of chief medical officer and counselor were combined in the 23rd century, with medical officers also having expertise in space psychology; an example of this is Doctor Leonard McCoy.

So I can see Brianna being the ships Counselor and expert in space psychology; Interspeicies mating rituals and habits; as well as a medical officier as needed...unless we do not have a cheif medical then i have no problem with being that as well

Phaia

EbonyQueen

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 16, 2013, 12:18:57 PM

We already decided on a Connie refit.  Layout is in accordance with Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise.  I will put it all on the info thread.

As to XO, just might, Ebony and from what I've heard about you from an unnamed source, you'd be a wonderful fit.  PM me, if you would, please.  I'm trying to get a 2 year old in bed after Girl Scout cookies just arrived.

I'll have to dig out my copy of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise. It's a bit beaten up as I've had for quite a long time, and PM will be sent posthaste.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Phaia on February 16, 2013, 12:30:36 PM
What I am seeing is that A counselor is a position aboard Starfleet vessels and installations, usually held by a senior Starfleet officer with training in psychology.
Qualified psychiatrists served aboard starships during the 23rd century. Occasionally, the role of chief medical officer and counselor were combined in the 23rd century, with medical officers also having expertise in space psychology; an example of this is Doctor Leonard McCoy.

So I can see Brianna being the ships Counselor and expert in space psychology; Interspeicies mating rituals and habits; as well as a medical officier as needed...unless we do not have a cheif medical then i have no problem with being that as well

Phaia

Yes, counselor was generally more of a doctor, especially on Connies, which were older ships in 2294 and had less room than say an Excelsior.
Quote from: Ascia on February 16, 2013, 12:28:08 PM
I just made the same point as Ruby. <3 Sorry!

Look at the issue from another standpoint: The United Federation of Planets is the city on the hill. It's the galactic utopia. There is no poverty, there is no hunger (both untrue, but for the most part on the nice Federation worlds it's true), and their military is taught to seek peaceful solutions even after you've been fired on first. They're open minded and open handed. I can't imagine the Federation saying to even a Romulan, "Nono. We won't even give you the chance to come be part of Starfleet and the Federation."

Does that sound like the Federation or Star Trek to you?

I actually had a Romulan on a ship in one of these era games.  Like I said, for me it is about making sense.

O/o's

A/a's

The trouble with resisting temptation is that is may never come again!

Ascia

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 16, 2013, 12:45:38 PM
Yes, counselor was generally more of a doctor, especially on Connies, which were older ships in 2294 and had less room than say an Excelsior.
I actually had a Romulan on a ship in one of these era games.  Like I said, for me it is about making sense.

If it's a matter of good writing...then I can do anything I want. ^_^ Yay.

Phaia

Looking to shape up to be a lot of females in this crew hmmm

We have to run into some alien that insists the females have to be naked  ::) :o

Phaia

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Ascia on February 16, 2013, 12:53:16 PM
If it's a matter of good writing...then I can do anything I want. ^_^ Yay.

Exactly!  I only care about good writing, things making sense, and everyone getting along out of character.  I don't care what happens in character.  Character and person are different. :)

I have opened an OOC List here.

I have also opened an Information Area here.  It will continue to be updated throughout the day.  A character sheet will be put on there soon.

As you will notice, I've put the game in the light section.  I don't mind sex in a game but this game is not about sex and it won't drive the plot.  So, keep that in mind when you're creating your characters.
O/o's

A/a's

RubySlippers

Yes if any lady wants to play explore the spots, we can think about a work going in that direction in the game.

Ascia

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 01:21:33 PM
Yes if any lady wants to play explore the spots, we can think about a work going in that direction in the game.

I actually PMed you with a suggestion that your NCO and my JO are flirting with the idea of a casual relationship, or actually in one.

Part of the trying to set up impressions/relationships before the game actually gets started. We seemed to be heavy on females, so I didn't want to make my character hetero.

But my PM was denied. lol I didn't know you could turn PMs off, sounds nice!

RubySlippers

Okay I think everyone is on my Buddy list so they can PM me. I forgot to do it earlier.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Ascia on February 16, 2013, 01:24:47 PM
I actually PMed you with a suggestion that your NCO and my JO are flirting with the idea of a casual relationship, or actually in one.

Part of the trying to set up impressions/relationships before the game actually gets started. We seemed to be heavy on females, so I didn't want to make my character hetero.

But my PM was denied. lol I didn't know you could turn PMs off, sounds nice!

There were several guys interested at the early part of this thread but you ladies are clearly more vocal.  :)
O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 01:28:09 PM
Okay I think everyone is on my Buddy list so they can PM me. I forgot to do it earlier.

I already said what I would've in the PM, unfortunately. lol If interested, lemme know. <3 If not, no worries! =)

Ascia

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 16, 2013, 01:52:16 PM
There were several guys interested at the early part of this thread but you ladies are clearly more vocal.  :)

You're saying there were more guys interested but the vocal females...scared them away?

RubySlippers

What are common and uncommon marriage forms in the Federation could say my character have three or four wives?  ;D

Ascia

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 02:00:20 PM
What are common and uncommon marriage forms in the Federation could say my character have three or four wives?  ;D

I don't think it's ever been approached in canon, at least not regarding overall society.

You'd run into trouble with other races, though, for sure. Say your character was married a few times and my human JO found this out? The human JO probably won't be able to really get it, especially right away. She's human--how could she?

Angel Fire

I just NOW slipped onto this thread and I would like to say that I am SOO glad that I fell into it!  Count me VERY interested!
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.
May we spread our wings and soar the heavens together for all time - Angel
My Theme Song - Can I be your Heart's Desire?

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Angel Fire on February 16, 2013, 02:08:55 PM
I just NOW slipped onto this thread and I would like to say that I am SOO glad that I fell into it!  Count me VERY interested!

Look up and see the OOC and information threads.  PM me with a character concept.  :)
O/o's

A/a's

RubySlippers

Quote from: Ascia on February 16, 2013, 02:07:31 PM
I don't think it's ever been approached in canon, at least not regarding overall society.

You'd run into trouble with other races, though, for sure. Say your character was married a few times and my human JO found this out? The human JO probably won't be able to really get it, especially right away. She's human--how could she?

Just wondering.

Angel Fire

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 16, 2013, 02:25:50 PM
Look up and see the OOC and information threads.  PM me with a character concept.  :)

I'll do that when I get home this afternoon! *Smiles*
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.
May we spread our wings and soar the heavens together for all time - Angel
My Theme Song - Can I be your Heart's Desire?

RubySlippers

Maybe the Captain can make the ship clothing optional?  :D

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 02:59:38 PM
Maybe the Captain can make the ship clothing optional?  :D

This is not a Betazoid ship.  :p  And when you meet, Kelly Jean O'Connor, you will see that would never fly.
O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 02:40:47 PM
Just wondering.

It's a good question. It just has no easy answer. Some cultures like the Klingons or Romulan would kill her for it. Romulans especially have always been thought to be very anti-homosexual. I know people think Romulans=Rome, but the Rihannsu great houses are typically conservative socially speaking. It's all about honor and image. (And doing what's best for the Empire, ideally--butreallywhodoesthat?)

Others like the Betazoids wouldn't blink.

Who knows, maybe even the Tholians get down like that. ^_^

orderNchaos

Ok, I was interested, but I can barely keep up with the interest thread let alone how bad I'm sure the IC thread will be with the posting rate.  What are we doing?  I've seen pictures of trill officers from DS9 as ships counselors, I've seen lots of discussion about ships and medical personnel and optional clothing requirements.  Can someone tell us where we are in the ship compliment and whether or not this thread will actually happen?

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: orderNchaos on February 16, 2013, 03:14:41 PM
Ok, I was interested, but I can barely keep up with the interest thread let alone how bad I'm sure the IC thread will be with the posting rate.  What are we doing?  I've seen pictures of trill officers from DS9 as ships counselors, I've seen lots of discussion about ships and medical personnel and optional clothing requirements.  Can someone tell us where we are in the ship compliment and whether or not this thread will actually happen?

Yes.

We are playing just after the Motion Picture Era - 2294.  We are on the USS Phoenix, one of the remaining Constitution class refit starships.  An OOC thread is here and the General information thread (complete with character sheet format) is here .
O/o's

A/a's

NaughtyKitty

Is there a crew list yet?  I love Star Trek (I sort of broke into RP with Star Trek).  Usually played an engineer or a helm officer.  But....I'm curious what's open?