Skulls & Shackles (Closed, Characters in Progress)

Started by TheRaven, February 13, 2013, 10:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRaven

Because who doesn't like pirates, right? Probably the guy in red at present.

I've been looking over the Skulls & Shackles Adventure Path recently. That's pretty much disqualified me from playing, but at least it's made me want to run it.  8-)

At the moment this is only an interest check but I'll pass out character creation stuff just so that people know what the setup is. This will go from Level 1 to Level 14, so feel free to plan ahead if that's your thing. As a side note, since there are pirates involved and the iconic pirates of fiction and history have serious love affairs with their black powder, I'm willing to wiggle in some more firearms into the campaign if that's what the players want. Otherwise I'll run it as written.

Attributes
25 point buy

Permitted Races
Races from the CRB and the Featured Races from the APG, along with whatever supplements have been published for them (such as the "Blood of" series), is fair game. Anything else has to get a pass from me.

Permitted Classes & Archetypes
Elliquiy, I'm going to level with you. I hate doing restrictions on classes, because I love all of them and I love the flavor. So, there aren't any restrictions, but please, please, please, don't load up on the cheese. This one's on you to know for yourself.

Feats, Traits, and Such
You'll probably want to select one of the campaign traits from Skulls & Shackles at creation for consistency. Hell, maybe if you all agree to the idea I'll let you have a third trait to make up for taking a potentially unwanted trait. As for what's allowed, pick anything you like. No restrictions as long as I can find it on the SRD or in a splat.

Starting Wealth
Either take your class's average or roll dice for it, I'm not picky. Word of warning, you are going to be separated from most/all of your gear near the beginning of the game. It's all able to be gotten back, but know that you will be missing most of your fun toys for a little bit.

How many landlubbers get to come along on the voyage?
4 to 6, depending on interest and how many characters I fall in love with.

Anything else?
There aren't alignment restrictions, but, for obvious reasons, paladins and other strictly lawful types might not fit in so well among the piratical denizens of the Shackles.

Also, the SRD has compiled a whole page about pirate-y things from the Pathfinder System, so here's the link.

In conclusion, here's a picture of Jack Sparrow, just because. Go ahead and post here if you're interested/have a character/something.

Character Thread
OOC Thread
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

Callie Del Noire

Yes, I would be interested (given that I did the LAST attempt at a S&S game on the board)

RubySlippers

How would an Undine Druid with the Water Adept archetype do in this game who is well pressganged in as a lucky find, not sure of the diety she worships likely the appropriate elemental lord and will be Neutral? It should be a good one powerful water magics and applications of her powers, healing and will likely feel her capture as a calling to show her patrons power to mortals (as the gentle waters to the pirates and their allies, the fury to the enemies who dare disrespect the element of water).

And a nearly naked lady running around will be fun and if I recall pirates tend to be religious so fucking her over will just piss off a major power they depend on, plus she might opt to not use her healing skills and powers on them. (Captain and the Sail Master likely exceptions to that as the leaders.)

Callie Del Noire

Kyrie Ebonblade
Background: Born to a pair of sailor/pirates, Kyrie is the fifth generation of her family to live on the waves and has made a living as a musketeer defending any ship she signs on. With her crack shot and father's rifle, she's set about tracking down the last family legacy weapon, the Ebonblade, and has at last tracked it down to the Shackles after a particularly profitable round of piracy in the Inner Sea.

Character Sheet

Kyrie Ebonblade
Female Human (Varisian) Gunslinger (Musket Master) 1
CG Medium Humanoid (human)
Init +5; Senses Perception +6
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 13 (+3 armor, +3 Dex)
hp 11 (1d10+1)
Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +2
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Axe, boarding +1 (1d6/x3) and
. . Longsword +1 (1d8/19-20/x2) and
. . Unarmed strike +1 (1d3/x2)
Ranged 'Ol Painless' +4 (1d12/x4)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 10
Base Atk +1; CMB +1; CMD 14
Feats Fast Learner, Gunsmithing, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Reload (Musket)
Traits Buccaneer's Blood, Reactionary
Skills Acrobatics +6, Climb +3, Craft (alchemy) +7, Craft (firearms) +7, Escape Artist +2, Fly +2, Intimidate +1, Knowledge (local) +7, Perception +6, Profession (sailor) +7, Ride +2, Stealth +2, Survival +6, Swim +3
Languages Common, Dwarven, Goblin, Polyglot, Varisian
SQ deed: deadeye, deed: quick clear, deed: steady aim, grit
Combat Gear Alchemist's fire (2), Alchemist's kindness (5), Tanglefoot bag; Other Gear Studded leather armor, 'Ol Painless', Axe, boarding, Black powder (10), Black powder (10), Firearm bullet (10), Firearm bullet (10), Longsword, Alchemy crafting kit, Backpack (25 @ 45.5 lbs), Bandolier (1 @ 4 lbs), Bandolier (2 @ 2 lbs), Bedroll, Belt pouch (7 @ 1 lbs), Fishhook (3), Fishing net, Flask (2), Flint and steel, Gunsmith's kit, Ink, black (5), Inkpen, Mug/tankard, Powder horn (20 @ 0.167 lbs), Powder horn (20 @ 0.167 lbs), Reinforced scarf, Reversible cloak, Rope, Spellbook, Trail rations (5), Twine (50'), Waterskin, Whetstone, 33 GP, 6 SP, 9 CP
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Deed: Deadeye (Ex) Use 1 grit per extra range increment to make a touch attack beyond the first.
Deed: Quick Clear (Ex) While have grit, remove the effects of a misfire. Use 1 grit to do as move action.
Deed: Steady Aim (Ex) At 1st level, as long as a musket master has at least 1 grit point, she can take a move-equivalent action to increase the accuracy of a two-handed firearm. When she does, she increases the range increment of the firearm she is firing by 10 feet. This
Grit (Ex) Gain a pool of points that are spent to fuel deeds, regained on firearm crit/killing blow.
Gunsmithing You can use a gunsmithing kit to craft/repair firearms and ammo.
Point Blank Shot +1 to attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at up to 30 feet.
Rapid Reload (Musket) You can reload fast with one type of Crossbow or Firearm.

Triggvi

How would you about a little blue golblin psionicist the disquises herself as a halfling. Sort of a kender type pirate.

Gary Stargazer

I'm considering coming out of retirement for this one. I've not played a system game in several months on here.
I might be a bit rusty and will need to refresh myself on pathfinder, but what would you say to a Merfolk? I'm thinking Ranger so I can do the Wave Warden arch type of ranger.
Official fanboy of Oreo. <3
Allow me to show you how I like to play. <3
I'm not just a member of The Oreo Fan Club, I'm the president.

TheRaven

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 14, 2013, 12:30:43 AM
How would an Undine Druid with the Water Adept archetype do in this game who is well pressganged in as a lucky find, not sure of the diety she worships likely the appropriate elemental lord and will be Neutral? It should be a good one powerful water magics and applications of her powers, healing and will likely feel her capture as a calling to show her patrons power to mortals (as the gentle waters to the pirates and their allies, the fury to the enemies who dare disrespect the element of water).

And a nearly naked lady running around will be fun and if I recall pirates tend to be religious so fucking her over will just piss off a major power they depend on, plus she might opt to not use her healing skills and powers on them. (Captain and the Sail Master likely exceptions to that as the leaders.)

As far as the pirates of Golarion go, they're not a very religious lot. Might have more luck playing to their superstition, though. They're far more superstitious than religious.

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on February 14, 2013, 01:37:23 AM
Kyrie Ebonblade
Background: Born to a pair of sailor/pirates, Kyrie is the fifth generation of her family to live on the waves and has made a living as a musketeer defending any ship she signs on. With her crack shot and father's rifle, she's set about tracking down the last family legacy weapon, the Ebonblade, and has at last tracked it down to the Shackles after a particularly profitable round of piracy in the Inner Sea.

Looks fine to me.

Quote from: Triggvi on February 14, 2013, 02:06:10 AM
How would you about a little blue golblin psionicist the disquises herself as a halfling. Sort of a kender type pirate.

I'm iffy about psionics. So, the rest of you, thoughts?

Quote from: Gary Stargazer on February 14, 2013, 03:21:40 AM
I'm considering coming out of retirement for this one. I've not played a system game in several months on here.
I might be a bit rusty and will need to refresh myself on pathfinder, but what would you say to a Merfolk? I'm thinking Ranger so I can do the Wave Warden arch type of ranger.

The only thing you might have trouble with is spending a decent amount of the game on land in addition to sea. The Strongtail alternate racial trait might help you a little bit if you still want to pursue a merfolk.
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.

RubySlippers

Doesn't matter I think molesting a healer of the ship would be a huge no no by the leaders and most of the crew, after all there likely are not that many that can also use healing magic on pirate ships. Plus would you want to piss off a sea druidess they could pose a major threat later to ones life many creatures of the sea are dangerous in one falls or is pushed into the water.  Just takes a Summon Natures Ally spell of sufficient power to call a shark or school of deadly jelly fish. (depending how flexible the GM is one what can be called) ;D

Have a character ready today if possible.

Callie Del Noire

I don't know about the rest but I'm not too thrilled by psionics in pathfinder. It's solid and all, just never really clicked with me. Of course I was one of the 5 guys who understood it in 1st edition. Technically, the only person that matters is the GM though.

Kinda hoping someone makes a Tengu. We need our own luck eater.

Trying to build Kyrie into a Siege engine mistress for when we get our own ship. Transmuter wizard with a eye towards cannons.

RubySlippers

Okay like pirates can be picky who they get if they get a psion goblin fine beggars can't be choosers.  :D

Triggvi

She would only be a psion nomad until level 3 then a rogue after that.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Triggvi on February 14, 2013, 11:18:18 AM
She would only be a psion nomad until level 3 then a rogue after that.

Note I said I didn't like psionics. Not that I'm against them (GM decision). I would rather have a good psionics player than some players I have had in the past who play 'chaotic annoying' characters. (Shudders at the memory of a 21 Int/7 wis PC used as an excuse to be 'smart-dumb' anime style)

Triggvi

The resaons for psion is to have few minor abilities the magic system could not do.  The psion/thief that can do a few fun things and be very handy on a ship. The psions in pathfinder are easier to deal with thsn than the old 3.5 psionics and better handled. If people want can say it is a form of magic and not have psionics.

Tring to do th character as wizard would not be possible at all.

Hell for all that i could stop her at second level psion and then multiclass with rogue. It would work extremely well that way.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Triggvi on February 14, 2013, 12:18:47 PM
The resaons for psion is to have few minor abilities the magic system could not do.  The psion/thief that can do a few fun things and be very handy on a ship. The psions in pathfinder are easier to deal with thsn than the old 3.5 psionics and better handled. If people want can say it is a form of magic and not have psionics.

Tring to do th character as wizard would not be possible at all.

Hell for all that i could stop her at second level psion and then multiclass with rogue. It would work extremely well that way.

Your character your choice. I welcome any fun and good PC (as in helpful to our goals. I find evil tends to distract but again that is player not PC).

Nomad/Rogue is a good combo. Like I said I'm moving towards gunslinger/transmuter. I want to be an enchanting mofo to five us all sorts of fun ship weapons. The idea of our very own figurehead golem sounds like fun.

TheRaven

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 14, 2013, 11:16:26 AM
Okay like pirates can be picky who they get if they get a psion goblin fine beggars can't be choosers.  :D

Well, you plus Triggvi is two. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt in this case. Go for the Blue.  ;D

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheRaven on February 14, 2013, 01:28:03 PM
Well, you plus Triggvi is two. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt in this case. Go for the Blue.  ;D

Don't suppose we could go 25 build points? ;)

TheRaven

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on February 14, 2013, 01:33:35 PM
Don't suppose we could go 25 build points? ;)

Well, same process. What do you think team? Do you want 20 or 25 point buys?

Triggvi

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheRaven on February 14, 2013, 01:46:21 PM
Well, same process. What do you think team? Do you want 20 or 25 point buys?

I'm used to 20 pb because of all my PFS stuff.

Gary Stargazer

I have no opinion on the points, so whatever everyone else wants is fine for me.
Now as to the land aspects of the campaign, I'm not fully familiar with the skull & shackles setting, I assumed a majority of it would be at sea on a boat, or near bodies of water. I don't mind a little adversity with a char, but will it even be possible to play a merfolk in that setting? After all they can only go so long without being in water.
Official fanboy of Oreo. <3
Allow me to show you how I like to play. <3
I'm not just a member of The Oreo Fan Club, I'm the president.

RubySlippers

Oh GM trying to decide on her animal companion, would an Orca work it can swim at 80 feet a round so I assume that could keep up witha ship, but wanted to check before choosing it?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 14, 2013, 03:03:25 PM
Oh GM trying to decide on her animal companion, would an Orca work it can swim at 80 feet a round so I assume that could keep up witha ship, but wanted to check before choosing it?

Can you get an orca @ 1st level? Thought dolphin was about it.

RubySlippers

Its a young orca it gets bigger at 7th level. Its listed under the animal companions the one I get is medium then gets large later on cool huh.

Pathfinder is so cool!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 14, 2013, 03:23:26 PM
Its a young orca it gets bigger at 7th level. Its listed under the animal companions the one I get is medium then gets large later on cool huh.

Pathfinder is so cool!

I'd go with something that is amphibious till we know the land vs water mix. But I also like the idea of getting a fighter to kick enemies overboard to feed it. Om nom!

TheRaven

Quote from: Gary Stargazer on February 14, 2013, 03:00:14 PM
I have no opinion on the points, so whatever everyone else wants is fine for me.
Now as to the land aspects of the campaign, I'm not fully familiar with the skull & shackles setting, I assumed a majority of it would be at sea on a boat, or near bodies of water. I don't mind a little adversity with a char, but will it even be possible to play a merfolk in that setting? After all they can only go so long without being in water.

We'll be close enough to the sea that it won't be a huge problem, but you start the adventure in captivity. For that reason, you might be confined to a certain area of the ship so you don't try to run off on them.

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 14, 2013, 03:03:25 PM

You can have an orca. But, I've gotta say, you unless you fancy him being the target of some of the crew at the beginning, I'd suggest you have him keep a little ways out of sight.  ;D

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on February 14, 2013, 03:31:03 PM
I'd go with something that is amphibious till we know the land vs water mix. But I also like the idea of getting a fighter to kick enemies overboard to feed it. Om nom!

I could always do a Sea Reaver. I've kind of wanted to take that template out for a spin. Considering that he probably won't be doing much beyond combat as the BSF, so long as it doesn't sound bad to any of you guys, I could go for it.

On a side note, I'm going to house-rule that rapier proficiency means that you also have cutlass proficiency, for the sake of simplicity.

It will be primarily sea-based, but there are some land sections.