Mythology

Started by sansa, February 05, 2013, 07:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sansa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_mythological_figures#Immortals

Now as far as a plot I really need some help.
I have always loved Greek Mythology and really want to do something with the Gods & Goddess's.... now I need help on creating a plot.
O/O
Hello E friends. For those who've role played with me, I disappeared for a while due to lack of access to a computer and personal issues. Life has calmed down and I now have access to E and inspiration has struck me again. :)

AndyZ

There's a common theme nowadays in playing the children of the various deities.  You may have some interest in going with that.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Darrow Huck

Greek mythology mostly involved the gods acting up like a bunch of teens creating facebook drama. I'm not sure a DM-driven plot really fits the style.

Foxfyr

What about a sort of clash of the pantheons plot? For example, what would happen if the older polytheistic deities of Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome were to come across the upstart Old Norse gods or even the even older Ancient Egyptian gods? Maybe even the eastern religions could come into play. Would there be conflicts for territory, influence, or power or would there be more diplomatic/romantic approaches? I imagine this would largely depend on the natures of the specific deities/divine beings being played, but there could be a fair bit of potential with this sort of plot.

Faustus

Quote from: Loki Aesir on February 06, 2013, 09:45:37 AM
What about a sort of clash of the pantheons plot? For example, what would happen if the older polytheistic deities of Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome were to come across the upstart Old Norse gods or even the even older Ancient Egyptian gods? Maybe even the eastern religions could come into play. Would there be conflicts for territory, influence, or power or would there be more diplomatic/romantic approaches? I imagine this would largely depend on the natures of the specific deities/divine beings being played, but there could be a fair bit of potential with this sort of plot.
+1 on this. Love my Norse Gods so much.

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

azzmeister89

This does sound like an interesting concept but the gods of ancient Greece, Egypt and Rome were the same people just with new names. At most they would be able to meet maybe the norse gods and then any deities of the far east, such as Persia.

My personal advice would be to put up Greek gods against the ancient elemental spirits of the far east, forest spirits that take the form of giant beasts, much excitment could come of that i think. 

HairyHeretic

There's a pen and paper RPG called Scion where the players are the sons and daughters of different Gods / Goddesses. The background to that that give you some plot bunnies.

http://www.white-wolf.com/scion
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Thufir Hawat

There's also the Enemy Gods game where you play a hero that fights for the favour of gods and one of said gods and goddesses. IMO, despite the game being much smaller, the write-ups of various deities are better than in Scion.
It might be worth checking out.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

TheHangedOne

I have an idea for you, building off of what someone mentioned earlier, with the children of gods and goddesses being pretty popular.

What if the whole Pantheon suddenly disappeared? Not even so much as a cosmic "I went out, be back later" sticky note.

Maybe the Titans have come back, and are exacting revenge. Perhaps a lack of faith has seen them slowly wither and die. Maybe that nefarious Trickster, Loki, made them vanish to soften up the area for a hostile takeover.  Maybe Prometheus got free, and had to show them all just what fire is capable of doing.

There's probably a dozen other alternatives, and it need not be readily apparent. But regardless, there was one thing the Greek gods and goddesses seemed to be known for: Getting it on with humans, and siring heroic demi-gods.

At the same time the main Gods and Goddesses disappear, these minor people, who can be just about anyone from anywhere has a sudden epiphany of understanding, of who and what they are, of what they are capable of, and just how badly things are screwed up. It then falls upon them to fix, or take advantage of, the situation.

Maybe the new minor Gods and Goddesses will find some way to absorb the essence of another deity, and transcend themselves, assuming the role that deity played.  Perhaps they can free their parents, from wherever it is they have been kept.  Maybe they'll just take advantage of the fact that they are quite possibly the strongest entities in the world right now.  You could take it in many, many different directions; and who's to say that each of the demi-god's won't have their own agenda?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

HangedMan, that's a pretty solid premise.  It would require a serious GM, and ideally would have a system, but I like it.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

TheRaven

Bookmarking for interest. Hanged Man, I like your idea.  ;D
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

Sephiriel

CurvyKitten

Color me interested if this really starts to develop. :)

Wargtass

Quote from: azzmeister89 on February 06, 2013, 06:13:15 PM
This does sound like an interesting concept but the gods of ancient Greece, Egypt and Rome were the same people just with new names. At most they would be able to meet maybe the norse gods and then any deities of the far east, such as Persia.

Not entirely true. While the Romans based their deities on the Greek ones, they often changed drastically in tone and implementation. Hephaestos was a benign deity who created things in his forge for many Greek heroes. Vulcan on the other hand was a very destructive deity, representing volcanic lava and smoke and was said to forge destructive things out of Etna. The Egyptian deities didn't become "standardized" until the Successor-state of the Ptolemaic Era, when the Pharaohs adapted Greek figures onto their Egyptian deities. Before that we have a period of thousands of years even before the Greek pantheon with rather original gods and goddesses.

With all that said, I express some interest in this concept as well.
O/O

ShadowFox89

Quote from: azzmeister89 on February 06, 2013, 06:13:15 PM

My personal advice would be to put up Greek gods against the ancient elemental spirits of the far east, forest spirits that take the form of giant beasts, much excitment could come of that i think.

Um. Not Egypt, no. Egypt had their own pantheon that was VERY different from the Greek-Roman pantheons. And as Wargtass stated above, the Romans changed a good number of details about the Olympians.

A world-wide "clash of the pantheons" sounds awesome though. I would assume freeform?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Wargtass

I just had a strike of lightning hit my muse. Give me a day and I'll see if I can make sense of all this. Might be that you have a GM after all...
O/O