Disaster San Francisco (Full)

Started by Moraline, May 22, 2013, 08:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moraline

Disaster San Francisco

People go about their lives day to day without thinking about the dangerous world around them. Until that day when disaster strikes.

San Francisco sits on one of the worlds most dangerous and active fault lines but it's not just earthquakes we need to worry about. Stuff falls from the skies, tsunamis that begin a world away, man made accidents, volcanoes, drought, rising tides. The dangers are everywhere. What happens when they all begin to happen, one after the other?

What will you do?

Information Points

• Open to everyone but only accepting 6 players.   
  • The characters are 3 ordinary couples. (any sexuality - *edit* F/F, M/F, M/F).  Ages: 26-30   
  • Game will be in the "light" section. No bondage or Non-Con.   
  • Sex isn't the driving story element but intimate details may occur in threads that I will create for each couples private moments.   
  • Game is freeform with some directed story elements and random roll(by GM) lists.   
  • The game is mostly a drama that centers around the series of disasters.   
  • The couples should have some sort of professional careers (doctor, lawyer, engineer, police officer, accountant, small business owner, software developer, journalist, photographer, etc...)   
  • They are all friends that live in the same neighborhood and all community minded. Good, honest, average people. 
  • The setting takes place on the west coast of the US in and around San Francisco, early spring 2013.   
It will begin the night before the first event with the 3 couples having dinner together at a restaurant (where they will make plans to go shopping the next day and go out to a movie together tomorrow night.) Then soon disaster will strike...

Couple 1 F/F:
A) Sana Lysenko (F) - Age 29, Profession: Mechanical Engineer (Motorcycle Designer) <Player: Moraline>
B) Mayson Siemsen (F) - Age 25, Professiona: Public Relations Executive <Player: Lithium>

How did they meet:  <to be created/agreed upon by the couples>
Couple history:  <to be created/agreed upon by the couples>

Couple 2 M/F:
A) Tristyn Phoenix (M) - Age 27, Profession: Navy Seal <Player: Chreestafer>
B) Danielle Avena (F) - Age 26, Profession: Photo Journalist  <Player: Eliza>

Couple 3  F/F:
A)  Michelle Simon Chamberlain (F) - Age 27, Profession: Commercial Pilot  <Player: Dashenka>
B)  <Player: Visna>

Our couples live in the neighborhood of Russian Hill. The neighborhood is upper middle class to affluent. The couples live in very nice modern apartments all in buildings near one another with a great view of the famous Lombard Street.
Lombard Street
Russian Hill
Russian Hill Image
Surrounding Neighborhoods (all upper middle class to affluent)
Cow Hollow
Presidio (Parks)
Marina District
Map

Disaster Samples
Samples of what's to come...

First Disaster

EMP caused by massive solar activity, Coronal Mass Ejection (CME). Results in complete loss of power to all devices in the area. The sky later that night will be full of beautiful aurora lights, brighter then any full moon.

Suddenly everyone on the West Coast loses communications with the outside world. Planes fall out of the sky, motor vehicles crash/stop working. Riots break out within hours. Riots will be isolated mostly to the poorer neighborhoods but sporadic violence and outbreaks may occur elsewhere.

Where will you be?

Our couples are all out together for a day trip shopping with plans for an evening movie together. The event begins as the couples are at various stages of arriving at the shopping center. The couples original plan was to all meet up inside at the east entrance side of the mall.

Possible outcomes charts to be rolled by GM for each couple:
(The details of how it plays out will be up to the role players. The chart is to set the scene and/or possibly show the final results.)

• Car crash just before arriving at the shopping center parking lot. Head on collision. Results in couple member "A" being injured, minor head wound (cut), broken nose and black eyes.
  • Car crash just before arriving at the shopping center parking lot. Side swiped. Results in couple member "B" being injured, minor head wound (cut), sprained wrist (side facing door), and on the same side the forearm has a cut.
  • A news helicopter crashes right beside the couple in the parking lot of the shopping center. There is an instant explosion and flying shrapnel. Both members of the couples are knocked to the ground suffering minor bruising, scrapes, and some torn clothes.
  • Just inside the mall when the power goes out. The couple is at the top of a particularly dark set of stairs leading down and gets pushed accidentally by the tripping/stumbling people from behind. The couple tumbles a few stairs in a mass of bodies. No serious injuries, only minor bruises and having to deal with a tangle of people.
  • The couple is at the entrance to get into the shopping center when a driver in a truck, not paying attention, strikes a young woman beside them. She is seriously injured with a broken leg, fractured ribs, and possible internal bleeding. 
  • This couple will be fine at first but gets attacked by a rioter a couple hours later. The attacker will come out of nowhere <GM will PM the couple to let them know when it happens.> 
  • This couples apartment will get burned to the ground by rioters before they can manage to get back home.
  • This couples apartment will be broken into and vandalized, all valuables and electronics stolen.

The end of the first event. In a few days power will be restored and after the first night the rioting will quiet down but it will still be dangerous to go out at night.

Second Disaster

An Earthquake hits. Larger then anyone has ever seen (Possible magnitude 9+ and it hits close by out in the water.) Some large buildings will topple, most brick older structures in the area will collapse. Anything with more then a few stories in height will be considered to dangerous to go into until engineers can assess the structures.

What will happen to you?

Our couples are out volunteering in the days after the EMP disaster when the power has been restored. The couples are working in and around a civic center where normally college sports are played. There are people coming to the site to collect free bottled drinking water, some food stuffs, and to register for aid where needed. Most power has been restored at this point but some people still need assistance as a lot of vandalism occurred because of rioting in many of the poorer neighborhoods. So, all the couples have volunteered their skills and time to work with the Federal Emergency Measures Agency (FEMA).

An Earthquake of this size will last for about 5-10 min's. The ground will suddenly rise up (like the feeling you get on an elevator), then you will feel it roll under you like a wave on a boat. Your feet will be taken out from under you as the ground shifts by several feet back and forth (even a very well balanced person will end up on their backsides unless you drop to your knees right away.)  The pavement will crack all over the place, small fissures will open up in places. As the waves roll through the ground over and over again, even well prepared buildings will begin to crumble and those with the most earthquake resistant structures will sustain heavy damage (You are all at a well built Earthquake resistant structure.)

Your first reaction would be to consider this to be a minor quake then the realization that it's much larger then normal... then if you are familiar with earthquakes you will soon realize that it doesn't end in 10-20 seconds like a  normal quake... instead this one goes on for an extra long time and stuff begins to happen.... (see charts below)

What happens when the Earthquake hits: (Possible outcomes charts to be rolled by GM for each couple)
(The details of how it plays out will be up to the role players. The chart is to set the scene and/or possibly show the final results.)

• Couple is inside the building at a table with bottled water. Part of the structure collapses on them, pinning them under in a small pocket of steel beams and concrete. They both sustain bruising, minor cuts, torn clothes, and get soaked from the water bottles that explode when they are crushed by concrete. One of the other couples and volunteers will dig you out shortly. You may have free movement or be pinned to the ground, it's up to you both but you can't get out on your own.
  • A gas main breaks and spits fire at couple member A who sustains minor burns and burnt clothing but is able to put themselves out. 
  • Couple member B falls down stairs while carrying a heavy box of food stuffs - twists their ankle and sustains minor bruising as well. 
  • The couple is out in the open and watches as a massive part of the civic center structure collapses on the location where the medical staff were working in a makeshift clinic. You'll want to get your friends help immediately to start helping dig people out.
  • This couple is outside when the quake hits and is witness to watching a partial freeway collapse and some buildings collapse. The couple was with a large gathering of people all lined up to get into the civic center and you were just passing out bottled water and if anyone was in need of emergency aid you were sending them to the correct lines ups or taking them inside immediately. The last thing you see is your car get crushed by a falling metal light pole. 
  • This couple will lose their home as the structure where they lived will have crumbled.
  • This couple runs outside together but a fissure opens up and couple member A falls into it. It's a couple dozen feet deep and the sides are slippery. That person will be very dirty, there foot will be stuck between some rocks and they will have a deep gash in their side that requires medical attention. Several people can lower someone down via rope and pull them out.
  • The couple is inside as the quake hits, they are in the stands talking to people and collecting names, medical information, addresses etc.. When the event happens the stands will collapse with the couple standing on them. Together with all the people in the area they will fall several feet into a tangled pile of rubble and chaos. Several minor cuts will be sustained, bruising, and maybe some shock. It will take a minute or two to climb out of the rubble and help others get out of it 

The end of the event.  As all of this happens it will drag out for several minutes. People will be shrieking the entire time and horrendous sound of splintering concrete, brick, wood, and the wrenching of steel as it all unfolds around you.

The next couple weeks will see martial law in effect, FEMA working overtime in shelters, help centers, etc...

I'll be adding more disasters and more random event results as we role play.

Important - Contains answers to FAQ's
Game:

• Section the Game will be placed in and whether it is a system game or not.
    Light
  • Who is the RP open to?   
    Everyone
  • Short Summary of Player Roles.   
    Players are a group of friends (3 couples), they are community minded, young professionals. They will react to events, interact as couples, and try to go about their lives.
  • Setting.   
    San Francisco, Late spring, 2013
  • Plot Outline.     
    A series of disasters strike and players react to random things that occur as rolled on charts by the GM.
  • Character creation info/guidelines if any.   
    See character sheet below and information at the top.
  • Required Resources (If any) (If a system game - What books(ver.) or links to information needed such as an online guide or wiki?)     
    None
  • Game Pacing.     
    Fast paced. Expect several posts a week by players.
  • How much sexual activity is likely to occur or expected, if any?   
    Sex will be confined to private threads but the couples can have as much or as little as they choose amongst each other.
  • Whether tagging will be used or not.   
    Small tagging, example will be provided when game begins.

Game Master Info / GM(s) Participation Level (If/where applicable)

• Will there be a Co-GM?
    Not at this time
  • How guided will the play be(sandbox, directed etc)?
    Players will be told when events are going to occur and charts will be used to advise players what happens to their characters. See random lists provided for examples.
  • What extent will players be allowed to create/use environment or setting details?      
    Players are expected to use common sense. It is a typical modern environment. They don't need to ask for little things.
  • How NPC's will be handled. (If any) - (By GM and/or players, and what expectations)
    GM may set the tone for the environment but players may NPC the minor NPC's. GM may add major NPC's when needed that the GM will control.
  • How active will the GM be?   
    The GM will also be a player in this game.
  • Will there be an OOC thread? (expectations of thread usage)
    Undecided but there will most likely be one.
  • How to contact/approach GM with questions? (use OOC thread, direct PM, etc...)
    OOC thread if one is created, otherwise PM with relevant subject heading.
  • How will decisions be resolved?   
    GM makes all final decisions.
  • Will PvP be allowed (if applicable)?
    No.

Additional:

• Player Oath "Oath of the Drake" or some other reminder of player responsibilities in a group game.   
  • A note to Respect Other players (Offs etc..)    
    Please discuss any sexual acts prior to performing them. DO NOT God Mod your fellow players.
  • Player Participation Expectations. (Posts/week expected. Methods for reporting a possible absence/The method used to remove drop-outs from the game.)   
    Players are expected to make several posts/week.  If a player hasn't posted for more then 3 consecutive days, I will NPC them.
  • Discuss how new players will be brought into the game (if the game is already running.)    
    Case by case basis to be handled by the GM. Existing players are expected to be welcoming and accommodating.
  • What Writing style/POV. (Third person, first person, past, present, omniscient, etc...)     
    Standard 3rd person

*Post here if interested in the joining or if you have questions.*

Chreestafer

id like to post interest as one of the males of the couples, im hoping to take up a role as a naval soldier
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Moraline

Quote from: Chreestafer on May 22, 2013, 10:38:42 PM
id like to post interest as one of the males of the couples, im hoping to take up a role as a naval soldier
Are you looking for a female or male significant other?

Chreestafer

“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

MagicalPen

Color me interested as a Male seeking Female Partner for the final couple.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Eliza

Count me interested as that female significant other Chreestafer, if you'll have me. Career as a photojournalist.

Chreestafer

Ill have you :) only of you'll have me :)
Ons and Offs
F-List

Moraline

Quote from: MagicalPen on May 23, 2013, 03:02:12 AM
Color me interested as a Male seeking Female Partner for the final couple.

Quote from: Eliza on May 23, 2013, 04:18:33 AM
Count me interested as that female significant other Chreestafer, if you'll have me. Career as a photojournalist.

Welcome aboard you two. I'm sending you both PM's with little character sheets to fill out.

Just need 2 females now.

Chreestafer

So I'm curious would you like for us to add a section for fears? Like I do plan on incorporating the dislike of fire in my background so maybe you might be able to use the fears we place in the disasters... just a thought :)
Ons and Offs
F-List

Moraline

You can add them if you want to. My intent was to keep the character sheets very simple.  I placed a section on it for "brief notes that are immediately relevant to your character," so it would fit in that section.

Chreestafer

Ok that works :) I have an intricate character brewing up

So just to make also this is free form style correct?
Ons and Offs
F-List

Moraline

Quote from: Moraline on May 22, 2013, 08:57:46 PM

• Game is freeform with some directed story elements and random roll(by GM) lists.   

Moraline

... Characters names and professions updated.

Just need 2 more females to get the game started.  Who wants to date a Mechanical Engineer or a Police Officer?

Lithium

Quote from: Moraline on May 22, 2013, 08:57:46 PM
Couple 1:
A) Sana Lysenko (F/F couple) - Age 29, Profession: Mechanical Engineer (Motorcycle Designer) <Player: Moraline>
B) <needed F for this F/F couple>

I'm in if you want me!

MagicalPen

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Lithium

Dashenka

Guess Lithium stole the last spot :) Well have fun you guys, looks like a nice game :D
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Chreestafer

I do believe magicalpen needs an opposite half if your interested :)
Ons and Offs
F-List

Moraline

Quote from: Dashenka on May 24, 2013, 06:04:20 PM
Guess Lithium stole the last spot :) Well have fun you guys, looks like a nice game :D
MagicalPen (Andrew) needs a significant other.

Lithium

Quote from: Dashenka on May 24, 2013, 06:04:20 PM

No you fool I was telling you to join! Yes you specifically >.>

Dashenka

ooh..

well in that case I'm game :D *happy dance*

I'll think of a character when I'm fully awake.... *yawn*

Moraline

We Are Seeking a female or male partner for couple 3!
Who wants to come and mend a broken heart? One lonely available female up for grabs.

Couple 3  F / (M or F):
A)  Michelle Simon (F) - Age 27, Profession: Commercial Pilot  <Player: Dashenka>
B)  <Seeking a M or F to be the new love interest>

Michelle Simon
Name: Michelle Simon
Player: Dashenka
Ethnicity: American
Physical Description: Black hair, often dyed with colourful highlights. Normal weight, normal height.

Profession: Commercial Pilot
Brief Notes: Married to Andrew, likes girls and parties.

Michelle was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona as the only child of an aviation family. Her dad was a pilot, her mom a purser and form early on, Michelle knew what she wanted. She had a fairly standard childhood and her parents tried to be home as much as they could. Michelle got through college rather easily and her looks and social skills resulted in her having lots of friends and boyfriends. As soon as she could she enrolled to become a pilot and at age 20 she became the youngest ever female co-pilot of Southwest Airlines, her former employer. Over the years, with help of her dad, she grew to become a pilot. When she was 25 she grew bored of the inland flights and she applied for a job at United to fly more international flights and when she got it, she was based in San Francisco, where she met her husband, Andrew. <now divorced>

PS:
She's got a great apartment in the beautiful Russian Hills district of San Francisco. Free flights around the world! And did I mention that she's a hottie?

Chreestafer

Ons and Offs
F-List

Moraline

Yes, so we are looking for another to fill the shoes.

Single white female seeks life partner, M or F!
Who wants to come and mend a broken heart? One lonely available female up for grabs.
She comes with a beautiful apartment in the Russian Hills district of San Francisco. Free flights around the world!
Come and join the mile high club!
(maybe)

She likes long walks on the beach, surfing in Maui, Flying her friends around the world on exotic vacations (Okay, I added that part).
Did I mention that she's got great legs, an adorable smile, and writes the most amazing love letters?

Couple 3  F / (M or F):
A)  Michelle Simon (F) - Age 27, Profession: Commercial Pilot  <Player: Dashenka>
B)  <Seeking a M or F to be the new love interest>

Michelle Simon
Name: Michelle Simon
Player: Dashenka
Ethnicity: American
Physical Description: Black hair, often dyed with colourful highlights. Normal weight, normal height.

Profession: Commercial Pilot
Brief Notes: Married to Andrew, likes girls and parties.

Michelle was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona as the only child of an aviation family. Her dad was a pilot, her mom a purser and form early on, Michelle knew what she wanted. She had a fairly standard childhood and her parents tried to be home as much as they could. Michelle got through college rather easily and her looks and social skills resulted in her having lots of friends and boyfriends. As soon as she could she enrolled to become a pilot and at age 20 she became the youngest ever female co-pilot of Southwest Airlines, her former employer. Over the years, with help of her dad, she grew to become a pilot. When she was 25 she grew bored of the inland flights and she applied for a job at United to fly more international flights and when she got it, she was based in San Francisco, where she met her husband, Andrew. <now divorced>

Dashenka

Should change her name to her maiden name... Michelle Chamberlain :D