Humble Bundle -- Bunch of Pathfinder books for $1

Started by Ebb, February 25, 2016, 09:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebb

(Pathfinder is a popular tabletop roleplaying system, similar to Dungeons and Dragons.)

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/paizo-pathfinder-bundle

For $1, or whatever you want to pay, you get the core Pathfinder books as PDFs.
For 15 or 16 bucks you get about a dozen more books, also as PDFs.

If you've been curious about the Pathfinder system games that run here on Elliquiy from time to time, this is a pretty good chance to get everything you'll ever need, in case you join one in the future.

If you happen to have already acquired PDFs of the Pathfinder books by less than savoury means, here's a chance to clean that stain on your blackened soul for one lousy dollar.

Also, a portion of your payment gets donated to charity, in this case something called Extra Life, which is tied into a childrens' hospital thing that I'll admit I didn't bother to read through and figure out whether or not it's sketchy at all, but it probably isn't.

Ebb

Looks like another 13 days.

Mind you, these are all PDFs, not physical books. But still a great deal no matter how you slice it, I think.

Beorning

I checked the link...

So, if I understand correctly: if I pay, say, $20, I get *all the stuff* that's listed there? All *twenty* books?

... okay, I'll go and hyperventillate now.

Ebb

Yes, that's the idea. The "get them all" price is 17.01 right now. It tends to go up over time, as it's based on the average contribution that people make at that level. A fair number of people round up or chip in extra, so the price slowly rises.

Humble Bundles tend to be very good deals. They do computer games as well.

Beorning

So, I have a question: how useful are the books in the bundle? The core rulebooks are in the $1 section. I see Bestiary in the $18 section - but are other books from that part of the deal also worthy of picking up?

Maybe it'd be better to just buy the core rulebooks for $1 and pick up Bestiary at DriveThruRPG or something...

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on February 25, 2016, 06:18:54 PM
So, I have a question: how useful are the books in the bundle? The core rulebooks are in the $1 section. I see Bestiary in the $18 section - but are other books from that part of the deal also worthy of picking up?

Maybe it'd be better to just buy the core rulebooks for $1 and pick up Bestiary at DriveThruRPG or something...

If there aren't already descriptions at the Humble Bundle site, you could always look for them at DriveThru, read the descriptions there and compare the price total of the ones that you want vs. the $20 or so.

I rather suspect that Humble Bundle is going to come out as a better deal, even if you end up with several books that you aren't very interested in at the moment.

(I say 'at the moment', because I know how gaming systems are...)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ebb

Looks like Bestiary 1 and Bestiary 2 go for ten bucks each on paizo.com.

Beorning

Yes, that's true. So, I could either pay $20 for the core rulebooks and Bestiaries... or even less for the core rulebooks, Bestiaries and a lot more stuff. Yeah, that Humble Bundle is good.  :o

Okay, another question: does Pathfinder lend itself to serious roleplaying? Or is it all about hack & slash, cutting down legions of enemies etc.?

BTW. I have a question regarding PC games HB sells in bundles: I actually paid $1 for the newest bundle, as I wanted to try out Outlast. Now... how does it work? Do I need to download the game with Steam? Or can I just download the archive? Or... should I do both? How does this work, exactly?

bigwad73

I wondered if people saw this.  Paizo is having trouble keeping up, they've said.  But once you have a Paizo account, the downloads are yours forever, and if there are updates, you get those too.

11 days and some change until the deal ends!  I paid $25 US and got the beginner box hardcopy, too.  I already have one, but what the heck--my shipping was about 13 bucks, so the total cost for the whole deal was 38 dollars!

I'm going to push the $1 version on my tabletop buddies.  Then they'll stop borrowing my copy!
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

Life in Color

Quote from: Beorning on February 26, 2016, 01:59:39 AM
Okay, another question: does Pathfinder lend itself to serious roleplaying? Or is it all about hack & slash, cutting down legions of enemies etc.?

That really depends on your party - it can go all the ways. :)

Quote from: Beorning on February 26, 2016, 01:59:39 AMBTW. I have a question regarding PC games HB sells in bundles: I actually paid $1 for the newest bundle, as I wanted to try out Outlast. Now... how does it work? Do I need to download the game with Steam? Or can I just download the archive? Or... should I do both? How does this work, exactly?

They should send you an e-mail with instructions how to retrieve your game with codes via Steam. I not sure how they work otherwise, I use Steam for most of my game.

Hopefully that was helpful!

<3

AmberStarfire

That's probably worth getting for $1. Pathfinder is a pretty cool game. I have a hardback copy of the core rulebook but haven't really used it much.

Beorning

Gah! So, I purchased the bundle... but it doesn't download. Apparently, there are too many people interested...

TFcommando

I gave it a try, experienced the same thing... it took two hours to download one book last night!  I let it start and then left it.  It was like being back in the 90s! :)  This morning, couldn't get anything, but now it seems to be working.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Zillah

Thanks for the heads-up, Ebb. :)

I may try to make another foray into tabletop gaming with this.

Beorning

Quote from: TFcommando on February 28, 2016, 05:07:44 PM
I gave it a try, experienced the same thing... it took two hours to download one book last night!  I let it start and then left it.  It was like being back in the 90s! :)  This morning, couldn't get anything, but now it seems to be working.

Could you tell how you did it, exactly? I'm clicking the book title, a message of "Personalizing... please click after 10 seconds to download" appears and... what then? Should I click the title again or just wait for the download to start?

TFcommando

Quote from: Beorning on February 29, 2016, 12:17:27 AM
Could you tell how you did it, exactly? I'm clicking the book title, a message of "Personalizing... please click after 10 seconds to download" appears and... what then? Should I click the title again or just wait for the download to start?

Click after 10 seconds, though that's a sign of a lot of demand on their personalization/DRM system and it doesn't always work.  Things have gotten worse since then though, it appears the whole site is going up and down now.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Florence

DAMN YOU!

I just rushed on here the moment I found out to post this, but you beat me to it!

My girlfriend just linked it to me and my first thought was "I bet the people over at Elliquiy would LOVE this!"
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.