News:

Main Menu

Anime Recommendations

Started by Aragem, May 10, 2010, 05:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aragem

Alright, I'm bored and I'm in the mood to watch a new anime series, but the question is, which anime?

I've already seen the more popular ones and those are the ones that are being thrown into my face each time I do an anime search.  So I decided to post my request here.

I don't mind subtitles or dubbed.  They can be either.  I prefer a decently long series, like over 20 episodes, but if its good enough, then I don't mind less.   

Now here is a list of anime that I already seen. 

Evangalion

Death Note

Eureka 7

Monster

Sailor Moon

Vampire Knight

Elfen Lied

When they Cry

Gutousou (Count of Monte Cristo)

Magic Knight Rayearth

Afro Samurai

GTO

.hack//SIGN

Bleach

Dragon Ball Z *not my fave*

Escaflowne

Inuyasha *not my fave*

Earthian

Petshop of Horror

Valkyria Chronicles

That is just what I can remember off the top of my head.  So if something has any recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

EDIT:  I changed the title of the thread because I decided to make it open for everyone who is curious about what anime is good or bad.  And when you recommend an anime, please try to provide a summary and why the anime is good, without giving away spoilers.

You can also do so for manga.

Wolfy

Hellsing Ultimate.

For there is no vampire that could ever beat Alucard.

Sparkles? Please...Alucard summons up hellbeasts from his own blood to devour his enemies alive.

and that's just when he's feeling humorous. :D

That, and Fairy Tail. And Gurren Lagann. And Seikon no Qwaser (Uncensored, of course)

Aragem

Quote from: Wolfy on May 10, 2010, 06:04:18 PM
Hellsing Ultimate.

For there is no vampire that could ever beat Alucard.

Sparkles? Please...Alucard summons up hellbeasts from his own blood to devour his enemies alive.

and that's just when he's feeling humorous. :D

That, and Fairy Tail. And Gurren Lagann. And Seikon no Qwaser (Uncensored, of course)

Yeah, already seen Hellsing, and I agree with you on that point.  Vampire Knight to me was a wannabe Twilight or some such as that. 

Looking up the ones you mentioned.

Aragem

Also, other anime I have already seen.

Ergo Proxy

Wolf Ran

Spice and Wolf

Here and There , Then and Now, *did I write that correctly?*

Detective Conan

CowBoy Bebop

GunGrave

Trigun

Noir

Galaxy Express 999

Xenoglossia

Rahxephon

Rose of Versailles

Wolfy

You must watch Fairy Tail..and Gurren Lagann, especially if you like the Humongous Mecha Genre, because GL is basically an entire reconstruction of it.

ANd Seikon No Qwaser...the fight scenes are awesome, the Story is...well, it's getting better. o-o And of course, there's enough breasts and breast sucking to shake 90 sticks at...but if you can look past the whole "Suck Breast milk to gain strength" aspect, it's a good Action Anime that pushes the boundaries of what Anime can be without being called Hentai. O_o

midwestgal

Shakugan no Shana

To Love-Ru

Utawarerumono

Samurai Harem

Kyo Kara Maoh!

Elemental Gelade

Karin (definitely recommend this subbed and not dubbed; just trust me on this)

UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie (these are coming out in season sets)

Godannar

Rosario+Vampire
"He cannot be a part of me. Batman does not eat nachos!" - Batman, The Brave and The Bold

Crythan

Wow, you've watched alot.

If you can stomache the girliness of Salior Moon, then may I suggest the Princess Tutu series? It's not as bad as it sounds.  It has a fairytale story line and can be a little dark at times. Its definitly different!

Paladin

Quote from: midwestgal on May 10, 2010, 08:55:00 PM
Rosario+Vampire

I want to watch this but can't find a place to buy it at.

Wolfy

Quote from: Paladin on May 12, 2010, 06:47:12 PM
I want to watch this but can't find a place to buy it at.

Then don't buy it.

<_<>_> *wink*

But seriously...you could watch Fansubs, that's all I'm saying...I don't think Rosario+Vampire has been picked up to be dubbed into English.

Host of Seraphim

Have you watched FLCL? I love it.

I'm a noob to anime, but here are some series people keep recommending to me that aren't on your list: Cromartie High School, Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei, Witch Hunter Robin, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I don't know if they're good or not (XD), but seriously, EVERYONE I ask about what anime to watch gives me a big ole list with most of those on it. Hope that helped!

<_<

>_>

*takes your list and adds it to the ever-growing "Anime to Watch" list*
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Kunoichi

Kaiba.

It's a twelve-episode series, but it's the kind of series where you don't notice a lot of little things until the second watching, so you could probably count it as 24 episodes right there.

As for the plot?  Well, to quote what I think is a very simple and elegant summary...

QuoteOne day a young man wakes up in an empty room, with no idea of who or where he is. His only clues are a strange marking on his stomach, a hole in his chest and a locket containing a blurry picture of a girl.

Soon, Kaiba (his name, though he doesn't know it yet) finds out that in the world he has awoken in, memories can be stored on small cones called "chips". These chips can be moved from body to body, making you essentially immortal. Bad memories can be removed, and good memories can be uploaded — for a price. Unfortunately, there are now more chips than bodies, and a huge gap between the rich and the poor.

It is in this universe that Kaiba travels from planet to planet, seeking for who he is and who the girl in the locket is.

And it's all to a soundtrack that is hauntingly beautiful.

Aragem

Quote from: Crythan on May 12, 2010, 06:45:08 PM
  Wow, you've watched alot.

If you can stomache the girliness of Salior Moon, then may I suggest the Princess Tutu series? It's not as bad as it sounds.  It has a fairytale story line and can be a little dark at times. Its definitly different!

Sailor Moon happened when I was younger and it was on Toonami.

Aragem

Yeah, I also watched Witch Hunter Robin

Haibane Renmai

FLCL

Most of the anime that was on Adult Swim

Blue Gender

SCRYED

Gundam Wing

Don't recommend Gundam to me. . . I've had more than my fill of them.

Daimon de Broken Hearted

Naruto

Bleach

Champloo Samurai

Brain Powered

Heart Owned By None, It is a broken shell of what once was. Its Light died.

I have some things going on right now with health, I am sorry replies come slow.
Love is a circle of Trust and Caring, all into both becoming One, in Completion. This is like a Ring, or a Collar.
Daimon's On's & Off's
Daimon's A/A

Kunoichi

Oh yeah, and then there's all three series of Nanoha...

Shores

Kuroshitsuji - Set in Victorian London, it's about a (sexy) demon butler who forms a contract with Earl Phatomhive, a young boy who lost his parents in a fire and has inherited the estate. Throw in death gods, an underlying plot and fabulous clothes and cake shots, and you have an action-packed recipe for success.

Mushishi - It's about a travelling Mushishi, a teacher who is skilled in these tiny orgasms that live in everything. They are even more basic than cells, and cause various phenomenon on humans, like making them lose their sight, etc. Basically, the Mushishi is like a doctor/teacher who goes around curing the people of the ills the Mushi bring. Very relaxing anime.

D.Grayman - Allen Walker is an exorcist that roams the lands vanquishing Akuma. Akuma are what becomes of the humans when they form a pact with Noah to bring back their dead loved ones. A member of the Black Order, he goes around helping people out in search of his master, Cross. Action-packed.

Getbackers- Mido and Ginji are the Getbackers- people who get your things back for a small fee. With their friends, they go on missions, sometimes even teaming up with their enemies to complete the task at hand.

Bartender - Set in Bar Eden Hall, Bartender is an anime about a bartender with the Hand of God. He serves drinks that soothes the lives of his customers.

James Macleod

What about FMA or FMA brotherhood? or what about bleach?

Aragem

I've seen both Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Alchemist BrotherHood.

James Macleod

What about The Amine  "Monster"  It comes on syfy Monday nights at 11pm to 12am,
and chillier On sunday night/ Monday mornings at 2am to 3am then a repeat 4am to 5am..

Aragem

Yeah, Monster is awesome.

Monster is about a top surgeon who saves a little boy's life only to discover ten years later that that same little boy had grown up to be a serial killer.

James Macleod

I like  the opening theme

Aragem

Yeah, Monster is way better than Death Note in mystery and suspense.

James Macleod

what about  Serial Experiments Lain?

Aragem

I already saw that one.  It's pretty weird and ambiguous that you have to come up with your own interpretation of what is going on.  But I love the character design of Lain though.  Cute.

Nell

I would highly recommend Gintama if you have not seen it already. It is widely ranked as the top anime series of all time and it is absolutely hilarious (but it also has its serious moments if that is what you're looking for as well).

I have a very long list of anime and several sources to download from so just let me know if you need help finding something or would like a recommendation from a specific genre or just in general.