Google

Started by Charisma, March 16, 2011, 12:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charisma

I know it's just as easy to open up a new tab and google something, but what if... we had the chat screen on top, so you can keep up with the conversation, and the google window down below, or we can google in the same window as a post. We all get frustrated (especially when there are two or more tabs, and you shuffle through each of them a million times just to find the right window. Trust me, I've done it.)

Just an idea.

Vekseid

Erm. What are you talking about? Google isn't a part of Elliquiy.

Charisma

I understand. Just one of my crazy ideas that I thought I would share.

Vekseid

I still have no idea what your idea actually is : /

Charisma

Oh. I'm trying to think of how I would put it into words.

Like, having a search engine on this site, where you can look things up while having the chat (or post) on the same screen, instead of opening it up in another browser. That way, you don't have to leave the tab or window to do research.

For example... I'm in the middle of doing something on E, and I realize that what I write requires more research. Instead of opening up another tab, it would open up on the same page you are working on, that way you don't have to leave the page at all, and you don't have to worry about accidentally closing out the tab that you are working on.

It's just a random idea, and I can delete it if you want me to.

Caeli

I think she's referring to a concept that's similar to frames, where you click on a link in one part of the window, and it opens up in a the target frame.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Charisma

Caeli

Problem is that Elliquiy doesn't use frame coding. Not that it doesn't have merit, your idea, but it's probably just easier to open a new window and do alt+tab to switch between windows (which I find easier than switching between tabs).

Normally I'd suggest Googlex4, but it seems to have been taken down since someone told me about it.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Charisma

Makes sense, and for as many years as I've been on the computer, I didn't know about the alt+tab. At least I learned something new out of this. Thank you.

Caeli

Glad to be of service!

Though, I actually found a strange mirror of the original Googlex4. You have to wait 30 seconds for it to load, but this is pretty nifty ;D

http://www.googlegooglegooglegoogle.com.br/

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Charisma

Love it.  :D Thank you, again!

I don't know if this is a permanent or temporary website, but I can definitely put it to good use.

Vekseid

Well there are two ways to do that sort of thing
- One is for sites that allow themselves to be framed, it could just be placed in an iframe. Since this is an adult site, however, I can't do the paid search thing from Google.
- Another is to actually run as a proxy, which brings another host of issues - mainly bandwidth.

Both cases present a lot of security concerns, I'm not sure if I would want to allow that to be exposed.

Charisma

*nods* Well, I have no problems sticking with the old method. It's easier for you, anyway  ;)

Will

You can also use Ctrl+tab to switch between tabs.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Charisma

Will

Sure thing.  It works in a few other programs, too, like AIM.  It's super useful.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac