Life at the Ludus [Ancient Rome][The tidy interest Check]

Started by Blonde, October 02, 2012, 04:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blonde

LUDUS GLADIATORIUS
ooc

Gladiator, an armed combatant who entertained audiences in the Roman Republic and Roman Empire in violent confrontations with other gladiators, wild animals, and condemned criminals. Some gladiators were volunteers who risked their legal and social standing and their lives by appearing in the arena. Most were despised as slaves, schooled under harsh conditions, socially marginalized, and segregated even in death.

Irrespective of their origin, gladiators offered audiences an example of Rome's martial ethics and, in fighting or dying well, they could inspire admiration and popular acclaim. They were celebrated in high and low art, and their value as entertainers was commemorated in precious and commonplace objects throughout the Roman world.

Men would sell themselves into slavery, hoping to work their way free from debt. Captured soldiers of opposing land would be sold on the market, condemned to the arena. Convicts and criminals would be sentenced to pay for their crimes with their lives. Their origin was not guaranteed, but what was, was that majority would never see freedom again.

The Ludus, a school of training for Gladiators.

Ran and trained by the rigid Lanista, there strengths were tested every day. They're subjected to rigorous training, fed on a high-energy diet, and given expert medical attention. Forced to take an oath before the shrine of the Gods, they swear their lives to the arena.

AND THIS WILL BE THE SETTING FOR OUR STORY

Right. Well I am looking to set up a role play set in Ancient Rome, focussing around the trials and troubles of the slaves and Gladiators that worked and lived within a Ludus. There will be violence, drama and of course total lack of freedom for our characters. And of course there will be sex. I will be opening up a few female positions (as slaves, or you can create a second character as a whore that frequents the Ludus) and of course also same sex encounters happened. I will bend history a little, and have the slaves used as entertainment for the Gladiators. Romance can happen, or you can keep it just fucking.

- Please post at least two paragraphs per post/character.
- Know something about Ancient Rome.
- Have a dirty mind, as dirty sex will happen.
- Nothing anime, emo or scene please.
- PM or ask any questions you have.
- This is a new INTEREST CHECK as the other has got too cluttered and doesn't make much sense. Here is the old interest check.

Blonde - Female slave
GaggedLouise - Female slave
OPEN - Female slave

Blonde - Lanista's wife.
Primarch - Lanista.

azzmeister89 - Male Gladiator
Zaer Darkwail - Male Gladiator
Caitlin - Male Gladiator
The Last Standing - Male Gladiator

On&Off's | Request Thread NewestV.1 && V.2 | Visual Index | Gif Index

Caitlin

We're full on men and looking for 2 more female slaves? I was also under the impression that one of the gladiators on your current list had dropped out yesterday.

By the way, what about the wife of the Lanista, is that position also open now?

gaggedLouise

Could use a doctor, too, a guy capable of more serious surgery and treatment, even if Blonde's and Caitlin's characters know some things about taking care of wounds, wrung joints and about herbal medicine. The doctor could be bribed to do the wrong thing on a competitor, or transmit drugs and poisons, too, you know. The Doctor would be a supporting character, but vital enough to make it useful if we have a steady player for him.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Blonde

I am in the middle of talks with Primarch, as he is playing the Lanista it is up to him to choose if he wants a wife for his character or not. I originally did not want that role involved, so would be happy to not have it again.

MagicalPen has dropped out, so yes his character can be replaced. So if someone is willing to come up with a real bad ass kind of Gladiator, let me know.

This RP is starting to do my head in.

Caitlin

The doctor doesn't have to be male though? Although it was more common to have male doctors in those days, I'm sure there was the occasional woman who did healing as well. Especially if she wasn't from Rome, but came from a different region in the world. Possibly she could even be a slave as well, but maybe get better treatment due to her skills? It's something to keep in mind. It might also be a fun role to fill for somebody.

On the other hand, I hope we won't need a doctor too often and in a worst case scenario I could roleplay a NPC one. I have quite a bit of experience roleplaying a doctor. -grins-
(Been in that role for several years, although it the setting was more or less the opposite from this one.)

gaggedLouise

Don't worry, Blonde, we'll support you. I think the setup looks great and the people involved are very cool too - both writers and characters. And I fully understand if it will take a few days more before we get to an IC launch.

Caitlin

Quote from: Blonde on October 02, 2012, 04:48:52 PM
I am in the middle of talks with Primarch, as he is playing the Lanista it is up to him to choose if he wants a wife for his character or not. I originally did not want that role involved, so would be happy to not have it again.

MagicalPen has dropped out, so yes his character can be replaced. So if someone is willing to come up with a real bad ass kind of Gladiator, let me know.

This RP is starting to do my head in.
So just we're on the same page, you want the following;
1 Lanista (male)
5 gladiators (male)
4 slaves (female)
1 wife of the Lanista (optional - female)
Total males 6, total females 4 (+1 optional).

Is this correct?

Personally I would recommend closing the gladiator slot, since The Last Standing just took magicalpen's spot an hour ago, but you're the GM. If you decide to close it, however, then we'll need 1 less male and we'll have a 5:4 men:women ratio, possibly 5:5 if the wife gets introduced again.

Caitlin

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 02, 2012, 04:52:12 PM
Don't worry, Blonde, we'll support you. I think the setup looks great and the people involved are very cool too - both writers and characters. And I fully understand if it will take a few days more before we get to an IC launch.
+1

If you need help at any point, please let me know. I've led an RP community of several hundred people before and GMed a fair amount of games in the past. If you need advice about something I can probably help you out. :-)

So far I think you're doing a great job though!

The Last Standing

I think some sort of mystic female doctor could work very well, as Caitlin noted.

Also, in response to your comment on the previous thread Caitlin, although my character is powerful when provoked, I'll make sure he's far from overpowered. In fact, I already have ideas for his demise . . .

Also, I can't say I'm incredibly experienced with leading large roleplays, but I've DMed a bit in the past, so I respect how difficult GMing can be. I'll offer help where I can, and at the very least try not to annoy you. :)

Caitlin

I'm glad to hear so. ;D

I've had my fair share of people who pulled the game completely to them, and it makes it hard to keep a roleplay going if so, but it does indeed sound you have some experience at that already. ^_^

Well then, seems like that'll be one less point to keep me out of my sleep tonight, haha! I'm off to bed, I'm hoping we'll have the female spots filled by the time I wake up again, that'd be really cool. Good night all!~

Blonde

- I am happy to not have a Lanista's wife involved. As I have said to Primarch, I may make her as a second character.

- Geila (my character) works mostly with the doctor, who I will create as a puppet character. I have plans to create a list of NPC's that we can all share, but I do not want someone creating a character that really wont have a massive place in the RP. This RP is about interaction, so what is the point? But in case anyone is confused, it will be Geila who will be stitching the Gladiator's up and mending them.

- If I get one more female slave involved, I will close applications. I may close them after work tomorrow and just make up the numbers myself, I am comfortable playing multiple characters.

I meant it is doing my head in as in people telling me what to do. I've had years of experience and been a GM many times, this seems to be the first time I have got annoyed at a RP before. I have a tendency to be a bitch when people annoy me, I was infamous for it on a previous site. So just trying to be nice without snapping, cause I know I am a grumpy cow tonight.

But yeah, you guys will need patience, my schedule is about to get manic again. Literally!

Wed - Work (07:15-13:30) & College (17:30-21:00)
Thur - Work (07:15-13:30) & College (17:30-21:00)
Friday - Day off, but shopping and staying round boyfriends.
Sat - Work (07:15-13:30) then shopping then out clubbing.
Sunday - Work (07:15-19:30)
Monday - Thorpe Park all dat

Caitlin

Ah, no worries Blonde, I think we're all expecting it to take several more days at the very least. Also, my sincere apologies if I was one of those that ticked you off. I tend to post a lot when I get enthusiastic about something. It's meant in a good way, but I can see where it becomes too much for you. I hope you understand that wasn't my intention. I'll also slow down my post rate here so I won't clutter your new topic as well. :-)

gaggedLouise

Just my five pence but I really think it would enhance the game if the lanista's wife is a character on her own and not an NPC or played by you, Blonde. For several reasons:

-Better and hotter dynamic when she and the slave girls are in competition for the attention of the lanista - or even for some gladiator (the men of the arena where hot young studs; in Pompeii, the body of a wealthy woman was famously found at the gladiator's barracks, whatever she had bene doing there...)

-We'd get a better view of the interaction betwen Geila and her mistress if they are played by two different people. It would feel more real and interesting. When one character is essentially godmodded by the writer of another char all the time you can often tell who the writer is really interested in.

-The lanista is likely to want to punish a slave or a gladiator at some points, or see one or two of them engage in sex before/with guests and like that. If the wife is her own character it becomes more alive, and the writer of the performing character, if it's Geila, me or somebody else  - will have a harder time knowing what is happening next.

-The game will likely turn out better if there's something like an even ratio of men to women.

So yes, I think the wife should be in on her own terms, and we'll surely find someone good to write her.

Blonde

Like I Said, one more female slave and I will close applications.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, one more female slave then. Just peek in and say hello :).

Blonde

Yes please. Unless someone thinks they can make a really good wife to the Lanista, if someone is open to that position PM me and we'll discuss.

I have the opening post pretty much done, just gotta wait. Hopefully by the time I get back from college tonight we will have someone.

bubby

I'm assuming my idea attempt is a no go then. Good luck with your game.

Caitlin

What was your idea bubby? The old topic only said that you pmed something to Blonde. :-)

bubby

I never got an answer to the PM, so I just figure  Blonde wasn't into it.

I was hoping to be able to use my Gladiatrix from my old game Gladiator!, but it's all good.