News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonalberry

Finally broke down and decided to give Rift a try.  Bought and installed it last night, while I went to bed.  Updated it this morning, then played a bit during my lunch break and after I got home.  I've got an Eth Warrior, Paragon/Riftblade/Beastmaster.  Seems like a good combination.

Wolfy

Quote from: Tonalberry on April 16, 2011, 12:16:27 AM
Finally broke down and decided to give Rift a try.  Bought and installed it last night, while I went to bed.  Updated it this morning, then played a bit during my lunch break and after I got home.  I've got an Eth Warrior, Paragon/Riftblade/Beastmaster.  Seems like a good combination.

I played in the Beta...wasn't really all that impressed with it, really. :/

I guess I'm just too spoiled on warcraft. lol

Hemingway

Quote from: Funguy81 on April 15, 2011, 11:58:19 PM
Playing Mass Effect 2. I think its one of the best game thats came out in recent times.

I fixed some factual errors in your post.

Edit: One of the best games ever, Max Payne 2, is on Steam for dirt cheap. Do I get it? DO I HAVE A CHOICE?

Hellion000

Just beat Mass Effect 2 with 75% Paragon, 25% Renegade. Managed to get the 100% survival ending.

I'm very impressed with the game, the graphics, the mechanics, and the over all feel. I was a bit disappointed with the shortness of the end game though. Maybe I was just overpowered (100% upgrades on all weapons, almost maxed out Biotics, everyone loyal but Miranda, all side quests completed, and my main weapons of choice were the Widow sniper rifle [a Light .50 on steroids] and the Collector particle beam [heavy ammo drain, but it kills -everything-]), but the last fight was simplicity, and the end cut scene was entirely too short.

Wrapping up Act 2 of Dragon Age II.

It's got its good and bad. The inability to re-armor your companions is annoying, as is the fact that their sig weapons are actually pure shit, and don't upgrade at all. The romance options are entirely unguided (unlike DA:O, where you at least had an idea of where things really stood), and the Friendship/Rivalry triggers are a lot less obvious (that's good and bad- it makes it more realistic, but much harder). On the purely positive side of the spectrum, combat is 100% better than DA:O (an impressive feat, since DA:O combat was already made of pure win), the powers are scaled very nicely with little overlap- which is a big deal, if you think about it. DA:O had 'no brainer' power choices on each class, where as DA2's power trees make you really think about what you want out of the character before picking powers.

I'm also playing the stand alone DLC's 'Witch Hunt' and 'Lelianna's Song' for Dragon Age Origins with an import on WH.

Not for any sense of linear progression, as the ending I worked towards in Dragon Age: Origins makes linear progression impossible, but for the Hell of it. There's no real improvements in either of them- DA:O was already top notch, so there was no room for mechanical improvements using an identical engine- but the stories are well told, and deepen the experience not only for DA:O, but also for DA:O-A and also DA 2.

Finally, I'm playing around with Dragon Age: Origins- Awakenings. It's good stuff so far, with a lot of interesting plotting. I'm barely in, but already impressed with the story. Like WH and LS for DA:O, there's no logical reason for my Warden to be there, but... at the end of the day, I'm playing it for the fun, not to complete the story or anything.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Actually, you can re-armor your companions in Dragon age 2 (In fact, there's an achievement for it) but...only with one specific piece of armor.

So...it's kinda like their ultimate weapon..only in armor form. :/

Tonalberry

Quote from: Wolfy on April 16, 2011, 01:24:46 AM
I played in the Beta...wasn't really all that impressed with it, really. :/

I guess I'm just too spoiled on warcraft. lol

I'm liking it so far.  It hasn't really wow'ed me or anything, but it seems like a good, solid game.  haven't had a chance to take on any rifts yet, since I've only played it in small sittings.

Inkidu

I'm finally digging in to Two Worlds II. The game sure does peak and valley a lot. Seriously, one moment fun, boom next moment drag. The difficulty curve is somewhere around "Oh wait? They curve these things?" and I'm surprised I haven't killed myself with the magic system yet.

Shield plus healing equals healing-shield but wrong target card means any enemy I hit with it gets healed.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

I've been trying out World of Tanks. It's a mixed bag. When it works, it's great. It's just that for all its realism in terms of tank physics, the combat is arcade, and the two don't mix very well. When aiming requires no skill or timing, the choice of driving a light, medium or heavy tank basically boils down to how much damage you want to take before you die, nothing else. A light tank's speed doesn't give it any significant advantage, even more so when its guns aren't even powerful enough to penetrate the armor of heavier tanks. Likewise, the drawbacks of tank destroyers are minimal, but the advantages tremendous. Don't even get me started on artillery, which is basically like an even more unfair version of sniping. Basically, any battle involving tank destroyers and artillery is going to suck. If both teams are mostly light and medium tanks, it can be a lot of fun.

Wolfy

Quote from: Tonalberry on April 16, 2011, 03:13:10 PM
I'm liking it so far.  It hasn't really wow'ed me or anything, but it seems like a good, solid game.  haven't had a chance to take on any rifts yet, since I've only played it in small sittings.

Well yeah, it seemed solid to me too, but it wasn't enough to pull me from WoW. :/

I think the only game that may do that is SW:TOR. :/

Tonalberry

Quote from: Wolfy on April 16, 2011, 08:22:27 PM

Well yeah, it seemed solid to me too, but it wasn't enough to pull me from WoW. :/

I think the only game that may do that is SW:TOR. :/

Oh god I want that game to come out so bad.  Better yet, for there to be an open beta that I can get into.  I took part in the open beta for DCUO, for a short time.  Haven't played the game once it came out though.

Brandon

Ive had a bad relationship with free to play MMO's thus far. I always found them lacking in so many ways that I thought they were complete wastes of time. however, last night a friend introduced me to Perfect world which is...interesting. There are a couple parts I dont care for but overall I think its a good game
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Going through the campaign mode of Bad Company 2, and dabbling in the online again. Still one of my favourite games ever.

Hemingway

I guess Bioshock 2 gets better as it progresses. The story is certainly good, and Sofia Lamb an interesting character. I still think the choice of protagonist is weird and unnecessary, but at least some of the weapons are interesting enough. I don't know why a Big Daddy would favor a shotgun, but at least shotguns are, in general, awesome.

Sabby

I think the issue there is the image people get when they think 'Big Daddy'. Alpha Series were faster and had the intelligence to use weaponry. The later models of Big Daddy were only that simple because anything more advanced would fall into the same problems that Alpha Series did.

But once again, this is fluff verses gameplay.

Hemingway

Well, not so much the fact you're playing a prototype, more the fact you're playing a Big Daddy but can't take any more damage than Jack did, despite being armored, even if only lightly. Delta is at least somewhat interesting.

Wolfy

Well, Consider the fact that when the Alpha Series was made, as it is the first ones, they hadn't considered that residents might attack Little Sisters, so they were only given the bare minimum to protect her. :/

Once they realized that yes, Little Sisters would get attacked, and that the Alpha series wouldn't work, they moved up until they reached Delta.

It's obvious that the Alpha series was made waaaaaaaaay back in the beginning of Rapture. o3o

Sabby

Actually, the only possible reason they would even consider the project is to protect her, so the fact Alpha Series was even brought up at all, let alone made, means they anticipated attacks on Little Sisters. The Alpha Series wasn't dismissed because they were coming under too much fire and weren't made for it, its because they were too ambitious. Seriously, weapons, Plasmids, intelligence, AND brain washing all at once? Theres way too much happening there (as is usually the case with anything in an Alpha stage really).

Hell, Plasmids alone are a terror on a human brain, try adding the mental conditioning needed for a Big Daddy's protective role while still leaving the kind of thinking power needed for a versatile soldier balancing difference skills and facing off against multiple enemies all with different abilities. You can't do it.

Theres a reason the Alpha's went so batshit insane.

Inkidu

I get the feeling that the Alpha series wasn't exactly a planned project to protect the little sisters. I think it was some super-soldier deal where they tried a bunch of new Rapture-tech, and then when the news came in that adam was addictive they tried to re-purpose them, but that's really just conjecture. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Yeah, but this is Bioshock... no matter how much you debate it, the setting is just silly. We're trying to take a crack at what the Alpha Series designers were thinking at the time in a setting where they made a product that breeds MENTALLY LINKED ATTACK BEES IN YOUR FUCKING FLESH and then sold it to tennis playing artists like they were just prada handbags...

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on April 17, 2011, 03:58:14 PM
Yeah, but this is Bioshock... no matter how much you debate it, the setting is just silly. We're trying to take a crack at what the Alpha Series designers were thinking at the time in a setting where they made a product that breeds MENTALLY LINKED ATTACK BEES IN YOUR FUCKING FLESH and then sold it to tennis playing artists like they were just prada handbags...
Well, that actually goes to the whole problem with Rapture and the Golding/Conrad/Rand psychology behind it. Actually, what makes the game horrific is that this kind of thing is sold as believable. "Don't like who you are? Change this. Got your pants caught on fire by the schoolyard bully? Hit him back with ice." The idea that these mundane people are given these extraordinary powers is why Rapture is a sinking pile of scrap in the Atlantic. Someone took it way too seriously.

On another note, my alpha theory isn't exactly unsound. It's obvious big daddies were first used as some kind of underwater repairmen (or that came after or what have you) this means that they were thought up originally for something else.

Sabby

Actually, maintenance was added as a secondary goal of the Big Daddy's... which makes sense on one note, since they'd automatically carry out those tasks in dangerous conditions, but at the same time, I'm wondering just how the hell a Big Daddy is smart enough for that. The things are almost comatose, their programming gives them an extremely black and white, sluggish view of the word. Dude. Near girl? No. Ignore. Approaching girl? Warn. Shooting me. pick up girl. Kill. Resume.

Giving them the kind of intelligence to act like soldiers or bodyguards drove them mad... but somehow they understand the complex business of repairing a deep sea structure.

Wyrd

Replaying Mass Effect 2 again. I can't really get into it like I did before. I'm now really seeing all the retcons and plot holes. it's a little overwhelming
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on April 17, 2011, 04:16:45 PM
Actually, maintenance was added as a secondary goal of the Big Daddy's... which makes sense on one note, since they'd automatically carry out those tasks in dangerous conditions, but at the same time, I'm wondering just how the hell a Big Daddy is smart enough for that. The things are almost comatose, their programming gives them an extremely black and white, sluggish view of the word. Dude. Near girl? No. Ignore. Approaching girl? Warn. Shooting me. pick up girl. Kill. Resume.

Giving them the kind of intelligence to act like soldiers or bodyguards drove them mad... but somehow they understand the complex business of repairing a deep sea structure.
Pop rivet where leak is? I don't see how that's too complex. They obviously don't do a lot of complex work. They drill and rivet. Still, I don't think they're crazy. I think that when you have a higher function and this compulsion in your brain niggling you to do this, that's what drives you crazy, then when you're doing that and not doing what you want to do that drives you crazy. However, brainwashing and mental programming, especially when dominating, tend to reduce the intelligence of the affected.

Hemingway

It just occured to me that you're all wrong about the Alpha Big Daddies. You want to know the real reason they were, ah, discontinued? Booze. I mean, Delta can drink and get drunk. Imagine drunk Big Daddies! In an environment where one small accident can kill hundreds of people! I'm so clever!