Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinXAzgard21

Meh, I don't care one way or another.  I've enjoyed all the games and have had no issue with them.  I'll most likely get this one at some point as well.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Inkidu

OCs are never a good way to go. I wonder what they're thinking? Unless this is some clever lie to really obscure a cannon villain. My bet (and wish) is that it's Prometheus. He'd make a really good villain.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Zeth

I endorse Lollipop Chainsaw. I enjoyed the gameplay and the dialogue between characters made me laugh out loud several times. If yu prefer something more serious, I'd say L.A. Noire. I find the whole detective thing a refreshing change of pace from constant battles and level ups.

Nachtmahr

I found Chainsaw Lollipop to be fun for the first couple of hours, but then the jokes started getting rather repetitive and without it's humor, the game isn't really anything to write home about - I'd definitely go for either Darksiders instead. The final boss was also a bit of let-down to me, as it didn't really feel like it stuck to the theme.

I've recently started Mass Effect - beautiful game, but if you're playing it on the PC.. Bring some patience, because you're in for some really.. Odd, controls.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

msa24680

Mass Effect was a really enjoyable series. 

I'm currently playing a little Elder Scrolls.  Mixed with the sporadic game of League of Legends.

GanonDwarf

I've been playing the new Mario Golf game. Love me some Mario Golf, even if I'm not that good at it. XD
My ons/offs Updated:Feb.14, 2020
AbsencesUpdated:Feb 5th, 2019
Fandom Request Thread!

Zeth

Quote from: msa24680 on May 07, 2014, 12:36:27 PM
Mass Effect was a really enjoyable series. 

I'm currently playing a little Elder Scrolls.  Mixed with the sporadic game of League of Legends.

Mass Effect 3 pissed me off to no end. The game is good, but the entire game they emphasized the choices you make and even use save data from previous game choices to impact the game, then you get basically the same ending regardless of your choices. What was the point of all that if it turns out the same anyways? *Shakes fist at BioWare!*

Nachtmahr

Well, I believe that was one of last generations greatest controversies. xD

Hemingway

Quote from: Nachtmahr on May 08, 2014, 07:34:48 AM
Well, I believe that was one of last generations greatest controversies. xD

And rightfully so.

Oniya

Last generation?  *raises an eyebrow*  Are we talking in terms of the consoles or the players?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on May 08, 2014, 09:01:12 AM
Last generation?  *raises an eyebrow*  Are we talking in terms of the consoles or the players?
Consoles. Since the Xbox One and Playstation 4 have been released we're now officially in the 7th (8th maybe) generation of consoles. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Nachtmahr

^ Above point. All dem goodies are officially last-gen now. :P

Oniya

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overdue for the walker and the hearing aid.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on May 08, 2014, 11:19:39 AM
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overdue for the walker and the hearing aid.  ;D
Pffft, Oniya, you're never a day over pure awesome.

consortium11

Quote from: Zeth on May 08, 2014, 06:41:25 AM
Mass Effect 3 pissed me off to no end. The game is good, but the entire game they emphasized the choices you make and even use save data from previous game choices to impact the game, then you get basically the same ending regardless of your choices. What was the point of all that if it turns out the same anyways? *Shakes fist at BioWare!*

That's been pretty much the case throughout the entire Mass Effect series though... the vast majority of the choices and consequences are largely cosmetic and put you in the same position regardless of what choice you make.

Kill or talk down Wrex in the first game? Another character comes in to basically fulfill the same role in two and three.

Free or exterminate the Rachni in the first game? No real change to the plot when they reappear in the third (basically you get some different dialogue and a new number on your warscore).

Destroy or save the Collector Base in the second game? No real difference.

How the Citadel Council is made up at the end of Mass Effect 1? Changes a few lines of dialogue.

Choose Udina or Anderson at the end of Mass Effect 1? A few dialogue changes.

Cheat on your Mass Effect 1 romance in 2 or your 2 romance in 3? Few lines of dialogue.

I could go on...

The only choices that really make any difference are which squad-mates live or die... but even they're somewhat minimised. Sure, Kaiden or Ashley die in the first game... but the only plot changes are extremely minor and in gameplay terms you have other squadmates who can do basically the same role (as is the case if Tali or Garrus die in Mass Effect 2). Likewise place-holder characters are inserted for other squad members who die during Mass Effect 2 for Mass Effect 3.

Bioware's approach to C&C has pretty much always been cosmetic. You get a different line of dialogue, you might get a slightly different cut scene, a new character may appear to fulfill the same role and in Mass Effect 3 you might get slightly more or slightly less points towards your War Score... but that's it. It's about the illusion of choice as opposed to real choice. I can't say I particularly blame them... Bioware's strength has rarely been in detail C&C and considering how if looked at in any great detail the entire Mass Effect plot (both of the series as a whole and of the individual games) collapses into a mess of plot holes and things that don't make sense adding more significant consequences to your choices would have likely created even more issues. Bioware played to their strengths which is "epic" storytelling/moments and a large cast of NPC's.

Zeth

To be honest my biggest Wish/Demand/Request of BioWare is to make Jade Empire 2 and bring back Sir Roderick Ponce Von Fontlebottom The Magnificent Bastard.  Granted it is never likely going to happen.

Inkidu

Quote from: Zeth on May 08, 2014, 12:04:23 PM
To be honest my biggest Wish/Demand/Request of BioWare is to make Jade Empire 2 and bring back Sir Roderick Ponce Von Fontlebottom The Magnificent Bastard.  Granted it is never likely going to happen.
Jade Empire 2 would be magnificent.

consortium11

Indeed. Commercially Jade Empire was somewhere between a flop and a mediocre success... and certainly one of the worst performing Bioware games of that era. Work was started on a sequel but I think that was at roughly the same time as the EA takeover and it ended up shelved. Beyond that those within Bioware who really liked the IP and wanted to do more work with it have tended to leave which means there's relatively few supporters of Jade Empire within Bioware/EA.

It's a pity in some ways; I wasn't the biggest fan of JE the game (mechanically it was unbalanced and I'm not sure it quite managed to find a decent compromise between the action and rpg elements) but the IP itself was interesting and fresh compared to the yet another space opera or yet another generic fantasy setting. Arguably the best thing to help bring about JE2 would be a huge martial arts blockbuster making waves and getting the people within EA/Bioware to remember they have this IP hanging around.

Aiden

I've been playing Payday 2 lately

I love the concept of the game and the heists you can pull off.
With any multiplayer game you get some toxic players but overall everyone is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR1fJGTDkAE

Inkidu

Quote from: consortium11 on May 08, 2014, 12:34:30 PM
Indeed. Commercially Jade Empire was somewhere between a flop and a mediocre success... and certainly one of the worst performing Bioware games of that era. Work was started on a sequel but I think that was at roughly the same time as the EA takeover and it ended up shelved. Beyond that those within Bioware who really liked the IP and wanted to do more work with it have tended to leave which means there's relatively few supporters of Jade Empire within Bioware/EA.

It's a pity in some ways; I wasn't the biggest fan of JE the game (mechanically it was unbalanced and I'm not sure it quite managed to find a decent compromise between the action and rpg elements) but the IP itself was interesting and fresh compared to the yet another space opera or yet another generic fantasy setting. Arguably the best thing to help bring about JE2 would be a huge martial arts blockbuster making waves and getting the people within EA/Bioware to remember they have this IP hanging around.

Yeah, it's a shame too, because if they took what they learned with Dragon Age and Mass Effect and applied it to a martial arts RP you might get something of an actually fighting game. With separate attack buttons and governed by stats. They could also add in an appropriate equipment screen with clothing items and whatnot. Also I'd like to see a create-your-own-style kind of thing where you equip aspects of styles to create your own.

I wonder if there wasn't enough story for Bioware. You kind of started at the top with the original Jade Empire. Once you save the world it's only downhill from there.

Hemingway

Sir Roderick Ponce Von Fontlebottom The Magnificent Bastard.

Best. name. ever.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on May 08, 2014, 02:06:52 PM
Yeah, it's a shame too, because if they took what they learned with Dragon Age and Mass Effect and applied it to a martial arts RP you might get something of an actually fighting game. With separate attack buttons and governed by stats. They could also add in an appropriate equipment screen with clothing items and whatnot. Also I'd like to see a create-your-own-style kind of thing where you equip aspects of styles to create your own.

I wonder if there wasn't enough story for Bioware. You kind of started at the top with the original Jade Empire. Once you save the world it's only downhill from there.
This would be assuming that Bioware could think outside of the D20 box they've managed to bury themselves into.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 08, 2014, 02:13:19 PM
This would be assuming that Bioware could think outside of the D20 box they've managed to bury themselves into.
Bioware hasn't used a D20 system in what four, five games?

Hemingway

Bioware certainly are in a box.

Personally, I think their time as the undisputed champions of cRPGs is over. Maybe it was some time ago, even. That's unless they seriously step up their efforts with DA3. I doubt it, though.

Shjade

Quote from: Aiden on May 08, 2014, 01:09:12 PM
I've been playing Payday 2 lately

I love the concept of the game and the heists you can pull off.
With any multiplayer game you get some toxic players but overall everyone is pretty cool.

It's fun in theory. In practice, my god, the ultra-repetitive grind of it to level up is horrendous, particularly when the fastest way to level up is just running the same 2-3 missions over and over and over as fast as possible. If I never have to see that meth house again I will die a happy man.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.