News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Internet explorer issue.

Started by Blinkin, September 02, 2015, 06:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

We are running IE 10, and starting this afternoon, whenever we open IE, a few seconds after the application is fully loaded, we get what sounds like a trailer on a loop, or some scene from some program, then about a minute later, the screen goes black. This happens regardless of what site that we go to, and with the exception of google.com, it's constant.

We've run AVG, Malwarebytes and even rstored the system to a week ago to try to fix it... nothing's worked.

Anyone experience this before or know a solution? We do not have a window anywhere popping up, nor does it seem to effect any of the sites visited. But, once the screen goes black, nothing works until we do a hard shut-down

Anyone help? Please? My wife is going into farmvill withdrawl and I'm the one suffering.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Vekseid

Screen going black - does it sound like the system is shutting down?

Blinkin

Not that we've noticed. We have discovered that it doesn't actually happen with all websites, but it starts when we open in facebook/farmville. It will continue regardless of where we go from there, for the time before the screen goes black.

If, for example, we change the homepage to google, it doesn't start at all, but if we go to facebook/farmville, it starts... so I guess that it's a problem with the site rather than our system.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Vekseid

It sounds like a graphics driver glitch.

Are there any pending updates to the system?

Are you able to download e.g. Chrome and try that as your browser?

Blinkin

But would a graphics glitch create what sounds like a movie trailer or partial scene from someprogram, without a window opening and only when one site is visited?

We'll look and see if micosoft has any updates we haven't seen.

Ok, update.

We have figured out that it one of Facebook's ads, it's popping up in a corner of the page and is a video for Southbeach Diet. It must be overloading the graphics for some reason, but we can't find a way to disable this particular ad... anyone have any ideas on how to do it? I know that there is a way to disable/stop specific ads, but not how.

Thanks
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Oniya

Silly question, since I don't do the Farmville thing - does that use Flash?  There were some issues involving Flash recently, so at a bare minimum you might want to make sure that your Flash is updated to the most recent version.  (I've actually removed Flash for the time being, and while certain games don't play, I've noticed a complete absence of those auto-play advertisements.  I'm weighing whether the games are worth the annoyance.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17