Some people have way too much talent

Started by HairyHeretic, December 16, 2008, 04:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

I'm a wargamer. Have been for decades. Not much of a painter, but I do enjoy converting.

Stuff like this just makes my jaw drop

http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2008/12/jody-tuckers-cult-of-fire-daemons-of.html

Click on the images to blow them up and get a proper look at the stuff.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Avi

That... is.... insane.  Awesome-looking, but insane.  I'm a wargamer as well, I used to play Warhammer a lot, but I never really had the patience to paint most of my models.  Like HH, I loved mixing and matching the models to create new poses, looks, etc.  This guy has TALENT.  He should get paid to do this stuff.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

HairyHeretic

I've seen LEDs used before. One guy did a Tau army with LEDs in the firewarriors helmets. I think he also did Necrons with light up eyes.

That goes above and beyond though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Overlord

That's fantastic work and highest praise from another minis artist. I've been compelled for a long time to do up a model kit or diorama with lighting.

Avi

I would love to have a fully painted Tau or High Elf Army, but I don't have the time, or the patience.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

HairyHeretic

I can paint to tabletop quality, but that's it. Unfortunately there are a number of lads in my local gaming circles who are VERY good painters. Kinda makes one feel inadequate :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Overlord

The best minis work I've done is for D&D and Battletech tabletop. They're expensive but I've mainly wanted to get some large scale mecha and do them right painting and install LED's; running and navigation lights, lighted cockpit and maybe illuminated laser and PPC barrels.  :)

magnamos

Well, I have to admit that I actually took more fun in doing the painting for my Warhammer and Epic 40.000 Troops than to play with them. Still, building LED Lights into them is plain sick. Considering that the smallest brush I had was still too big I ask myself how the hell he carved the bodies or replaced them with transparent material?

Oniya

Dunno about carving figures, but one can always make a smaller brush.  I've been painting dragon pendants recently, and took one of those 20/$1 art brushes and clipped it down to literally a half-dozen bristles to get a nice tiny point for detailing.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HairyHeretic

I know a few people who do moulds and even sculpt / cast their own stuff. I was involved with a group called the Phoenix Project that produced female Cadian parts in resin. We all chipped in X ammount (I think it was $50 or so), one person was hired to sculpt the pieces .. several legs, several chests, several heads .. and once we had the masters done, a couple more guys mass produced them for the group.

I've also seen someone do Tau stealth suits in clear resin, which I thought was a great idea. Not exactly legal, but they looked well enough that I was thinking that's what GW should have done with them.

Cattle die, kinsmen die