[SR4] Stainless Steel Hearts [full on up, yo]

Started by Cold Heritage, August 26, 2010, 01:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolbrandr

Just expressing some interest. As a question, given the higher point total, is gear still limited to 50 BP spent on? (or 60 with the born rich quality)

Kunoichi

*points up to where it says 75 BP for resources*

ReijiTabibito

Registering isn't really free...granted, you don't have to resist Fading in the same way that Magicians have to resist Drain, but they still have to beat the Sprites' rating to register it.

EDIT:  Actually, Kuno, Resources refers to Spells, Foci, Complex Forms, Sprites, Spirits, stuff like that.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 27, 2010, 09:03:07 PM
*points up to where it says 75 BP for resources*

I saw, but, resources are a bunch of things (Gear, forms, etc. Gear is just one subset of and usually limited to 50 out of it), so, asking.

Kunoichi

No, starting resources and gear are pretty much synonymous in 4th edition. ^^; So, you can spend up to 75 BP on gear and other starting resources, with no specific cap for gear itself.

Kolbrandr

They might have changed that up in the 4th ed anniversary edition that has the slight rules changes in it then, I'm looking at resources and it notes gear as just one of the types of.

"Resources cover
all the tools of your character’s trade, including gear, cyberware, magic
spells, and technomancer complex forms."

And so forth.

Cold Heritage

Sorry, Kolbrandr. With muse, miekle, kunoichi, and reiji, that's four - I am not taking on anymore.

To clarify, when I say 75 points for resources, I mean you can spend 75 points for money. So you can spend like 75 points and get like 375,000 nuyen without dipping into qualities positive or negative that give you more cold, insubstantial wireless dollars. How you spend that money is subject to varying limitation (e.g. the availability rating is capped at 12, iirc). Other things, like spirits, foci, etc., follow their own particular limitations.

I guess go ahead and make a sheet, kuno. Just, uh, don't go too crazy. Same goes for you, miekle.

Beyond not requiring physical materials that could conceivably stolen (which seems fairly well mitigated by needing to buy the technomancer quality, the resonance trait, and costs for complex forms seems generally unfavourable in bp costs to nuyen costs for programs), reiji, help me to understand the advantage a technomancer possesses. And, specifically, what are you asking for with regards to complex form limitation? Are you asking for the number of forms to be increased, or for the limit to be waived entirely (bearing in mind that this, to my mind, also means that I need, to be fair, to modify limitations on starting spells)?

I will not allow initiation or submersion at character generation.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Kolbrandr

meikle

Shiny shiny shiny

I'll try to get a sheet up for you in the next couple of days -- I'm moving tomorrow, but I'm moving to a city that is basically a massive wireless hot spot so I should be around regardless.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Cold Heritage on August 27, 2010, 09:46:08 PM
Beyond not requiring physical materials that could conceivably stolen (which seems fairly well mitigated by needing to buy the technomancer quality, the resonance trait, and costs for complex forms seems generally unfavourable in bp costs to nuyen costs for programs), reiji, help me to understand the advantage a technomancer possesses. And, specifically, what are you asking for with regards to complex form limitation? Are you asking for the number of forms to be increased, or for the limit to be waived entirely (bearing in mind that this, to my mind, also means that I need, to be fair, to modify limitations on starting spells)?

Okay.  Technomancers have a few primary advantages compared to mundane Hackers.  First, Complex Forms cannot be affected like normal programs.  Any action that targets a program - such as Crash Program - cannot affect a Complex Form.  In furtherance of this, certain softwares are useless against Technomancers - primarily the Nuke and Disarm softwares.  (These are in Unwired, so you don't need to worry about them necessarily.)

Second, because of the nature of a Technomancer's Organic Commlink (the term used for what enables Technomancers to do their thing), their location cannot be pinpointed by a Track program.  Anyone attempting to use anything other than a Track Complex Form to find a technomancer can only fix the technomancer's position to within 50 meters of a node he is actively connected to. 

Third, a Technomancer's Organic Commlink cannot be hacked by anyone other than a Sprite of another Technomancer.  They are essentially immune to 'mundane' hackers.

What I'm asking for...basically, I need to have the starting cap of Complex Forms increased to 12.  This isn't too much, since I can buy my Logic up to 5, and thus increase my 'normal' cap to 10 Complex Forms.

ReijiTabibito

Cold?  Something else I thought of (hate to double post, though).  For Gear (weapons and armor and vehicles and such), are we still going with 12 as the Availability Cap unless you take the Restricted Gear Quality?  Or are we putting it up a little higher?

Cold Heritage

You can modify your posts; that brings up the new indicator too, iirc.

Thank you for the information. Increasing the number of complex forms seems reasonable. How about to Logic*3 (and the same for spells)? Would that work for you?

Still going with 12 as the availability cap unless you take the restricted gear quality.

ReijiTabibito

Logic*3 works for me.  And for spells, it'd be Spellcasting or Ritual Spellcasting (whichever is higher) *3.  But yes, that works quite well for me, thanks.  ^_^

And okay on the gear availability cap.

Kunoichi

Hmm.  This troll smuggler I'm making, Moonbay, is looking less like a dedicated rigger, and more like someone who uses drones for utility and occasionally backup in a fight...

Edit: Question.

Can I use the weapon modification rules to add an Integral Smartgun System to a Bow? ^^;

ReijiTabibito

Cold, question I have.  Are we still sticking to the rule of having no Skill Group being higher than 4 at creation?

EDIT:  Also, just something I noticed.  Kol has, to my own perception, expressed a bit more interest in this game than Muse has, in terms of posts and such.  Nothing against Muse, but he hasn't posted in this thread since his initial post.  Plus, I know that there's a tendency for people to volunteer interest in games they don't end up playing in - I know, because I'm guilty of it.  You might be better off with the four people who express definite and sustained interest in this game, rather than just the first four.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Cold Heritage on August 26, 2010, 01:13:32 AM
It would make me sad, and it would make me flake out and give you a story about how my dog ate my internets. Or how it ate my books (which are all electronic).

*hopes she didn't wind up scaring Cold off somehow*

Cold Heritage

If you're not interest anymore, Reiji, that's cool. No worries.

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 28, 2010, 09:22:45 PM
Can I use the weapon modification rules to add an Integral Smartgun System to a Bow? ^^;

I guess. The only functionality you get out of that is the +2 dice to hit, isn't it? Since your bow wouldn't have a clip to eject, or a firing mode you could change, and all that, right?

Kunoichi

Pretty much, yes.

...That said, Reiji and I were talking about our characters a couple of days ago, after we asked those questions a few posts up, and apparently the only reason he's working on his Technomancer character is because he feels compelled to have someone covering the Matrix angle on the team.  He's actually got this Adept character that he'd strongly prefer to play, instead, and so I figured I'd see if I could cover that role instead, so that he can play what he wants to play.

I already have this 400 BP AI character worked up who's strong, but not overpowered, and would do an excellent job as a hacker and rigger for the team. ^^; It's a fully-realized character, with a backstory and everything...

Kolbrandr

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on August 28, 2010, 10:51:23 PM
Cold, question I have.  Are we still sticking to the rule of having no Skill Group being higher than 4 at creation?

EDIT:  Also, just something I noticed.  Kol has, to my own perception, expressed a bit more interest in this game than Muse has, in terms of posts and such.  Nothing against Muse, but he hasn't posted in this thread since his initial post.  Plus, I know that there's a tendency for people to volunteer interest in games they don't end up playing in - I know, because I'm guilty of it.  You might be better off with the four people who express definite and sustained interest in this game, rather than just the first four.

The fellow might be busy with life things in the interim or something like that, I wouldn't want to claim a spot from the guy that he was given, I'd feel badly about that. Appreciate the sentiment though.

Besides, the most coherent concept I had was for a blade using/close combat focused adept with some bioware ;p

ReijiTabibito

Whoa, I never said that I wasn't interested anymore.  I'm still in, I'm just saying that you might not want to close applications after the first four people say they want to participate.

EDIT: Also, Cold, there's a set of Advanced Rules for Technomancers in Unwired.  Can we use them, as long as I decide not to munchkin my character in favor of those rules?

Muse

*Waves* 

My charecter's well underway.  I just haven't felt the need to clutter the thread up when I didn't have any questions that weren't already covered. 

So, to check something though, is the roll of heavy hitter more or less the one that needs  filling? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ReijiTabibito

That depends on your definition of heavy hitter.  Kuno's building a troll who is part combatant part wheelman/rigger, and one of my possible characters is a former UCAS Spec Forces operative who knows Martial Arts, has the Firearms skill group, and a crazy amount of weaponry. 

Muse

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on August 31, 2010, 01:48:21 AM
That depends on your definition of heavy hitter.  Kuno's building a troll who is part combatant part wheelman/rigger, and one of my possible characters is a former UCAS Spec Forces operative who knows Martial Arts, has the Firearms skill group, and a crazy amount of weaponry.

Ah, perhaps i haven't heard perfectly then. 

Fang is a mystic adept, and I'll be focusing her on being able to be able to move around as inconcspiciously as possible and still be able to unleash hell. 

I also have her with some Face type abilities.  I can play them up. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ReijiTabibito

Cold, I think the question got obscured by the misunderstanding, but I was wondering if you were still capping the Skill Groups at 4 to start?  I ask b/c if I end up playing my Techno, it may affect how I distribute my BP.

EDIT: Other questions I had.

1 - The Spirit Bane Negative Quality sounds like it could be adapted for Sprites, as well.  Would you allow me to take Spirit Bane, and specify a type of Sprite?  It would make more sense for a Technomancer to have angered a Sprite type than a Spirit type.

2 - For Contacts, would you allow me to take a Free Sprite as a contact?  There are sample ones listed somewhere, if memory serves...

3 - Distinctive Style.  What would you consider as 'Distinctive Style' for this game?

4 - I am trying to think of a Negative Quality that is a sort of trademark, a unique way of hacking that identifies my Techno character.  Now, it's not Distinctive Style, since that's a physical thing...any thoughts on your end?

meikle

Hey people

Just got my internet back, I hope you have not dumped me!
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A