[MUL]-[EX] Naughty Chess {CLOSED}

Started by Erebus, March 10, 2009, 09:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erebus

This RP would be a game of chess with the deviation, when a piece takes another, it will be done in a ...spicy way.  In more detail, the winning piece will have the freedom to do whatever he/she wants to the other piece. Hence the [MUL]-[EX] in the title.  Only rule is at the end the non-winning piece must suffer death.

In the main thread i will create and maintain a classic chess board, which i will update with our moves.

Ideally it would require 16 + 16 = 32 players. However since most pawns in a regular chess game end up making two or three moves, less players would suffice, meaning that one or two players depending on interest would play all 8 pawns.  Or one player could play both bishops etc.

It would be nice if someone  could draw / find some nice sexy chess piece icons for us to use.

Please come forward with any ideas / suggestions you may have about the whole setup.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that for anyone to play, basic chess knowledge is mandatory.  ;D

My Introduction
My ONs & OFFs
Absences

In need for some short term players/NPCs? Place your request ==> here <==

Are you a lucky little lady in the city of light; Or just another lost angel, city of night. - James Douglas Morrison

Mnemaxa

This is a good idea, and you should feel good.

This might be an interesting game.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Erebus

Quote from: Mnemaxa on March 10, 2009, 10:01:56 AM
This is a good idea, and you should feel good.

This might be an interesting game.

Thanks Mnemaxa.
Let's hope your opinion will be shared be others too :-)
My Introduction
My ONs & OFFs
Absences

Are you a lucky little lady in the city of light; Or just another lost angel, city of night. - James Douglas Morrison

Oniya

Mostly curious, because it takes a really special frame of mind for me to do character death, but how would actual moves be decided?  Normally there would be a cohesive strategy on each side, but with 8-16 people on each side...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Erebus

That's a interesting question.

The way I see it, at any given time, there are like 2-3 moves (good ones, chess-wise), so I was thinking to create two threads besides the main one. One for the Whites and one for the Blacks.

In there the team should brain-storm about the next move. Of course the ultimate and final decision will always be made by the player who would play the King.

Of course nothing is written in stone. Should another player comes up with a better idea, or if the majority decides something different, that's fine with me.

My Introduction
My ONs & OFFs
Absences

Prefect Mos

I think i might be in.. though i think that the moves should be made by the king, with sugestions from the team as to not leak information to the opposition. Count me in though. The sounds like it could be interesting.

sciurindae

Erebus

Quote from: AdmerWill on March 10, 2009, 04:32:41 PM
I think i might be in.. though i think that the moves should be made by the king, with sugestions from the team as to not leak information to the opposition. Count me in though. The sounds like it could be interesting.

I think that when each team will be completed they should decide upon how the moves should be made. Not a bad idea though.  But for the time being it's pretty early, since we are too few :(

Quote from: Thaleia on March 11, 2009, 01:00:21 PM
i found this but somebody has to download teh game..

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4ADBF_enAN265AN265&q=lovechess&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

http://www.lovechess.nl/en/

Thank you sweetie *hugs*
It seems nice. I even downloaded, alas i do not have native windoze machine and in my vmware the game behaves erratically :(
If we ever get enough people to get this off the ground, then i guess i could send this to however wants it to grab the images of it.

My Introduction
My ONs & OFFs
Absences

sciurindae

another option might be is that, if there are few enough players to just have it be 3 or 4 way chess

or have 2,3,4 way chess with each player controlling half of the team.

Or have just two 'gods' who move the pieces while others get to actually play the pieces, it would be especially interesting when on of the player's gets forced into a sacrifice move :P

SomethingWycked

Definitely interested, but I'll be gone for a week, until the 24th or 25th.

Each side could have a little pre-RP mini-tourney to decide who will make the move decisions :P
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none.

The Emperor protects... 66% of the time.

Federico

I'm in.

Thanks to Oniya who told me of this :-)

I'm a lousy chess player, so dont' expect too much from me. But I know the basic rules.

I wanted to do a similar thing in fact - it appeared in a in the smallest character on my unanswered post on the game of go (https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29778.msg1119862#msg1119862). I had a different interpretation (well, we would never find as many players as stones).

I vote for each player controlling more than one piece in a basic chess play.

On vacation until September - Ons and Offs | I am a baladeur
He started to dine at Denny's | From Friends

Erebus

So, to recap:

All the way in:
erebus
sciurindae
somethingwycked
federico

Maybe in (please say yes  ;D ):
mnemaxa
admerwill
thaleia

This makes a total (if everyone 's in) 7 players.
We still got a long road ahead of us.

My Introduction
My ONs & OFFs
Absences

cattycutie

Beth's kinks

Hold me, I'm a fermata!

Federico

Erebus, you say a long road, but I think that if we collect many more players someone will be bored for a long time - I mean, imagine being the side pawn - the game can be over before he gets a chance to move!

If we make it to 8, we could already start a four against four - one playing pawns (p), one king and queen (KQ), and perhaps the other two a wing each composed by tower, bishop and knight (LTKB, RTKB).

Thinking of that, moves can even be voted: each players cast a vote, weighted by.. hey, hey wait!

*men in white coat pull him away*
On vacation until September - Ons and Offs | I am a baladeur
He started to dine at Denny's | From Friends

Mnemaxa

I am an avid chess player.  I am a moderately good one; I know most of the openings and i know how to run a mid-game. 

Being a pawn will SUCK on my team.  Pawns move first early on, but they're valuable, and won't be treated as throwaway pieces until deep into midgame, or preferably early endgame!  Now, what might work, is a player controlling the pawn in front of the pain piece, giving them each two pieces.  Or, using each player to control two power pieces and the pawns in front of them, making the total necessary closer to eight players, four on each side.  That gives many opportunities for situational play, for allow the players involved.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

crystaltears

Erm, I'd be in if you'd have me. I know chess fairly well and won't say I actually remember popular strategies, but do enjoy a good game. ^^
Give someone an easy smile today; sign this petition on Elliquiy so we can see a man in kilts!!
fantasy compendium ~ come make magic with us

A/As - Updated 08/02/2011
writing - Last Addition 07/20/2011 | blog - Last Entry 04/19/2011

Shadows and Dust... Just Another Soul.

Erebus

Quote from: crystaltears on March 16, 2009, 11:49:55 PM
Erm, I'd be in if you'd have me. I know chess fairly well and won't say I actually remember popular strategies, but do enjoy a good game. ^^
You are more than welcome dear :D

With that we are at 7 players:

erebus
sciurindae
somethingwycked
federico
mnemaxa
cattycutie
crystaltears

admerwill and thaleia may still join in any time.

I think now we should elaborate on how to run it and in the meantime i hope someone else will drop in :)

Mnemaxa's idea seems reasonable to me, with our current player count.
In more detail:

Player1 controls: rook @a1, knight @b1, pawn @a2 and @b2
Player2 controls: bishop @c1, queen, pawn @c2 and @d2
Player3 controls: king, bishop @f1, pawn @e2 and @f2
Player4 controls the remaining four pieces.

The same goes for black.

I am thinking of starting one generic OOC thread, one black OOC thread, one white OOC thread and of course the main game thread.

If you all agree on that, i will do so tomorrow.

BTW here's the board, unfortunately i couldn't find any naughty pieces, so we may as well go with the classic ones.

My Introduction
My ONs & OFFs
Absences

sciurindae

given the power of the queen piece, maybe the king should control both bishops?  Or the king and queen should go to one player and a player gets both bishops?

Mnemaxa

Quote from: sciurindae on March 17, 2009, 11:41:35 AM
given the power of the queen piece, maybe the king should control both bishops?  Or the king and queen should go to one player and a player gets both bishops?

I would lie to point out that the queen is also the first piece to be targeted for destruction or sacrifice.

Caliban

Got room for one more?  I don't mind having a lot of time between posts; I'll enjoy reading everyone else's.
"All jocks think about is sports.  All nerds think about is sex." Somewhere at the edge of the bell curve is the girl for me.
"Take off your clothes.  And roll for initiative." I burn for you: I Cor. 7:9
System RP: Shadows of Terramar (d20 fantasy) * Pulp Scripture (WoD contemporary supernatural) * Perfidious Albion (GURPS steampunk)
Do the rocks in my head fit the holes in yours? --> Oohs and Ahhs
Meae Culpae (A&A)

DarkTide

If there is room I would be too. (Interested that is)

Mnemaxa

I am going to have to take a pass on this; I'd love to play, but I haven't the mental stability to play a good game at this time. 

cattycutie

It may sound silly, but can someone explain the mechanics to me?

Will someone be controlling the game from behind the scenes, or do we make it up ourselves, because it's going to require a LOT of interplayer communication.
Beth's kinks

Hold me, I'm a fermata!