Asking ... suggesting?

Started by lollipop, May 24, 2011, 04:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lollipop

I read somewhere, that Veks is basically customizing this place for us and our needs as he goes (correct?) and for that, I am thankful. So, thanks Veks. :)

With that though, I have a question and a suggestion:

The first being more of a question than anything. Roleplaying elsewhere we had a reputation function (similar to Karma that SMF allows for) that allowed certain posts to be commented on specifically and privately (showing up in your User CP/Profile area). I'm not sure if the Karma function is private (other than E it's been years since I've dabbled around on an SMF forum. If not I can imagine why it's not turned on. But if it can be made private (so only the person getting commented on sees it) is there a reason why we don't have it on E?

I ask because, it was extremely fun for me to see the private comments my partners would leave on specific posts (especially those that I had put a lot of effort in). And well, I miss it. :(

Second ... is a suggestion for the future of E's layout. On Vbulletin, there is a "thread search" tool at the beginning of every thread (similar to the forum search option at the top of E). Many of my games/stories are epic in terms of length and content (as are many others I've seen) and usually involve many characters and situations (I'm a character whore, I like lots of them). As the thread grows, it becomes increasingly difficult to look back on certain things that have happened or been said. With that tool, it was so easy to just type in a key word (like a characters name or a place, etc) and have all the posts mention that just pop up for me. I think it would be lovely to have something like that here, on E. If not incredibly helpful.

That being said, you ladies and gents (staff) keep up the good work. :)

~lolli

Vekseid

Quote from: lollipop on May 24, 2011, 04:26:12 PM
I read somewhere, that Veks is basically customizing this place for us and our needs as he goes (correct?) and for that, I am thankful. So, thanks Veks. :)

With that though, I have a question and a suggestion:

The first being more of a question than anything. Roleplaying elsewhere we had a reputation function (similar to Karma that SMF allows for) that allowed certain posts to be commented on specifically and privately (showing up in your User CP/Profile area). I'm not sure if the Karma function is private (other than E it's been years since I've dabbled around on an SMF forum. If not I can imagine why it's not turned on. But if it can be made private (so only the person getting commented on sees it) is there a reason why we don't have it on E?

I ask because, it was extremely fun for me to see the private comments my partners would leave on specific posts (especially those that I had put a lot of effort in). And well, I miss it. :(

There might be an SMF mod for it. At Elliquiy's current size I fear it's asking for trouble as bad as the schema is currently laid out (Which is better than most forums, but still).

Second ... is a suggestion for the future of E's layout. On Vbulletin, there is a "thread search" tool at the beginning of every thread (similar to the forum search option at the top of E). Many of my games/stories are epic in terms of length and content (as are many others I've seen) and usually involve many characters and situations (I'm a character whore, I like lots of them). As the thread grows, it becomes increasingly difficult to look back on certain things that have happened or been said. With that tool, it was so easy to just type in a key word (like a characters name or a place, etc) and have all the posts mention that just pop up for me. I think it would be lovely to have something like that here, on E. If not incredibly helpful.

That being said, you ladies and gents (staff) keep up the good work. :)

~lolli

This already exists. Just search while you're in the thread in question.

lollipop

Quote from: Vekseid on May 24, 2011, 06:01:11 PM
There might be an SMF mod for it. At Elliquiy's current size I fear it's asking for trouble as bad as the schema is currently laid out (Which is better than most forums, but still).

Mind if I ask how so? (Not being bitchy, honestly curious ... lol)

Quote from: Vekseid on May 24, 2011, 06:01:11 PM
This already exists. Just search while you're in the thread in question.

~raises brow~

I just tried that (several times and several different ways) and the search results give me anywhere in the entire forum where that term might have been used. Not just the thread in question.

Vekseid

It's under the 'show now replies' link on the top right.

Note that the reindexer only runs every ten minutes and post edits are only incorporated by day. It also depends on what word you're searching for - could you give examples?

lollipop

It works, mostly, though they way it lists the posts with the word (let's say in this case, a name) aren't in order as they were posted on thread. Like for one of mine, the name Faith is used extensively in the first two posts. Yet they don't show up concurrently in the list. Which, isn't really a problem, just something I'm going to have to get used to.

So ... thanks. :)

Vekseid

I should probably do something about the default ordering. The measures of 'relevance' we use aren't exactly up to par with say, Google >_>

lollipop

lol ... it's not really that big of a deal, when speaking in terms of relevance. I had just grown accustomed to chronological order instead of relevance. It's more me learning to accept this was over another. ~nods~

Vekseid

It's really bad in topic searches because the topic subject itself is given so much weight. This is really bad if you name the thread after a character you don't use often.