Reforming America's Food System

Started by Vekseid, February 12, 2010, 12:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/765

Another of several movements like this. It's actually quite encouraging.

Trieste

I'm... I just ate. Am I going to be sorry if I click that? 'Cause it took me months to look at a milkshake the same after Fast Food Nation. Hell, I still have difficulty drinking them.

Vekseid

No, nothing to squick anyone out. Is much more straightforward.

Trieste

Lilias

I love Jamie Oliver. I love his enthusiasm. And I love the fact that he's not resting in his fame and fortune but using what he has - both skill and assets - to give back to the community. After the school lunch improvement campaign and the 'feed your family for a fiver' promotions, I'm glad to see him making it to the other side of the pond.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

I used to watch him on 'The Naked Chef' all the time.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

consortium11

Quote from: Lilias on February 12, 2010, 03:37:44 AM
I love Jamie Oliver. I love his enthusiasm. And I love the fact that he's not resting in his fame and fortune but using what he has - both skill and assets - to give back to the community. After the school lunch improvement campaign and the 'feed your family for a fiver' promotions, I'm glad to see him making it to the other side of the pond.

I really dislike him. He just annoys me on virtually every level.

But that doesn't mean didily squat when it comes to the good works he does... where his actions should generally be applauded.

Paladin

I never realized how bad the situation can get till I just got done watching this. I'm not obese but I am overweight. This makes me even more determined to lose the weight I need to and to make sure my niece and nephew never goet to the stange I am at. I don't want them to be in the position of looking at themselves in a mirror every day and hating themselves for the way they look and how much they weigh.

Serephino

Last summer I dropped about 20lbs just by cutting back on junk food.  It's amazing.  I still eat sweets, but it's mostly homemade sweets now, made with unbleached flour.  And dinner is usually something I make from my own personal recipe book.  It's made quite a difference, my IBS has even gotten better.  I actually get sick from McDonald's food now.  It really makes you think. 

somdgirl

I agree that we need to teach children better. Making small changes over time is actually easy. I decided when my son was born that we would no longer keep junk food in our home. I breastfed until he was 4 months old. Then I had to change to formula and I wasn't happy about that since the number one ingredient in formula is corn syrup. So then I decided against doctors guidelines I would switch him to milk and baby food. I also gave him a baby multivitamin. Most people feed out of the jars from Gerber and so on. I never did that. I bought a food mill and made all of his food. Every Sunday I would spend an hour and make his food for the week. I steamed veggies and then purred them and I did the fruit raw. Then I would put the purees in ice cube trays and freeze them. After they froze I would just transfer them to a ziploc bag. In addition to knowing exactly what my son was eating I wasn't using tons of those little jars and adding to the trash issue we have. To this day my son has never had McDonalds or anything like that. I grew up in fast food and I have struggled to keep my weight under control my whole life. I also don't let him drink a ton of soda or juice. I would rather he eat his fruit fresh and not in juice form. I have found the cheapest way to get fruits and vegetables is from local crop shares. I don't look down on people who do feed their children fast food but I wish they actually took some time to look at what habits they are forming.

A great resource that changed the way I looked at eating and food is:
http://www.sustainabletable.org/?pv=blog