Interest check: The Levantine Kingdom

Started by Silk, December 19, 2009, 12:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silk

The World of Gaia

Setting:  High Fantasy. The culture of this world is generally Victorian/Romanic in nature. The architecture in the world of Ivalice from Final Fantasy 12 would be a very good example.

Synopsis: Sunstone, Gaia’s most valuable resource. It is used to power anything and everything from street lamps to airships. Typically, Sunstone is mined, but on occasion these radiant gold stones fall from the sky. Unfortunately, Sunstone is a non-renewable resource, and for this reason war is not uncommon to secure Sunstone ‘hotspots’.

Humans, Dwarves and Orcs and Goblins are the dominant users of Sunstone. Elves do not rely on Sunstone; however, their forest homelands contain large amount of Sunstone deposits, and thus the Elves are forced to protect the beauty of their homeland from the other warring races. The dwellings of Dragons and Mermen frequently contain Sunstone as well. It would suffice to say that hostility between the races of Gaia is quite frankly, very high.

As of yet, no race has found a method of harnessing the power of Sunstone to utilize as a weapon of mass destruction, but it is assumed that this is a major objective of all the Sunstone reliant races. It is hypothesized that whoever is the first to utilize
Sunstone as a weapon will be the victor of this age old war.

Technology: Sunstone tech, black powder, Steam power

Sunstone tech: May be used for a variety of things except for weapons. This means no energy weapons.

Black Powder: Essentially, intricate flintlock weapons and cannons.

Steam Power: Think trains, though trains can run sunstone. Ones that do are faster.

Races: Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, Drow, Dwarves, Halflings, Orcs, Half-Orcs, Goblins, Trolls, Ogres, Minotaurs, Vampires, Lycanthropes, Fey, Mermen, Cat People, Centaurs. (Silk -A dragon in human form wouldn't be hanging around for shits and giggles) But as a rule, the basic races within the DnD rulebook will not need approval.)

Main Factions

The Levantine Kingdom: The largest human kingdom, and the second largest race on Gaia. The ruler ship is matriarchal which means that the Empress is at the top of the hierarchy. This Empress is revered like a Goddess. In the Empire’s ancient manuscripts, it is written that the royal family’s line descends from the Divine. Commoners (anyone not of Royalty or Noble Blood) are not allowed to set their eyes upon the Empress or the royal family. It is The Divine Law.

The Dwarf Kingdom: Simply put, the Kingdom of the Dwarves, they live underground. Seldom do they walk the Surface of Gaia except to do War. Their labyrinthine homes are of the finest stonework in all the world and they are fine engineers of sunstone technology. Contrary to popular belief, Dwarven women do not have beards.

The People of the Forest: Elves are keepers of nature. They worship the land, for it gives them everything. They live perfectly fine without the intricacies of Sunstone. They feared for their archers and powerful anima (Magic).

The Legion (Orcs, Goblins, Trolls, and many other monstrous humanoids.): The supreme ruler of this mass is called the Warchief. The Warchief may be challenged at anytime for his position, for only the strongest is fit to rule. They are the most numerous of all races. Thankfully, they are not the most intelligent. Opposed to horses, they ride giant wolves called worgs.

The Slavers Guild: A large, cruel, and relatively neutral organization made up of races all across Gaia. They deal in slaves or anyone unfortunate enough to be captured by them. They have hubs from where they do business in many nations. Humans, this includes Empire and several other Human nations are their largest customers, accounting for 90% percent of the Slavers guild’s profits.

Titles/Positions that really stand out but aren’t really needed: (First come first serve basis on these)
-Empress(Human): Silk
-Prince(Human)
-Princess(Human)
-Dwarf King(Dwarf)
-Lady of the Wood(Elf): Snowflake Fairy Aeval
-Warchief(Orc)

Other Positions
-Nobles, Ambassadors, Royal Guards, Soldiers, Bodyguards, Servants, Commoners, Slaves, Sell-swords, Royal Harem women, etc.

BASIC RULES
-No modding of any form
-No auto-hits without the permission of the player
-I don’t care how you treat each other in character, but respect your fellow role player
-Swear if you like, but don’t take it overboard like a drunken sailor.
-No one liners. Please try to keep your posts over 100 words that are worth reading.
-Remember that I am the GM. This means my words are the rules. Stick to rules and you should be fine.
-Have fun.
-This is going to extreme, so make sure to check with players to confirm what is acceptable to them.

Rules for Vampires:
-Vampires can walk about in full daylight, but they are only as strong as a human being at peak physical condition, they do not heal as fast, and they cannot use any of their special powers (if they have any) during the daylight hours. Vampires also get sunburned very, very, easily. These sunburns take just as long to heal as it would for a human. Vampires still need to sleep, typically during the day. If they go without sleep for a couple of days, they will suffer the same effects a human does when it doesn’t sleep for a long time unless the vampire feeds very often.

Rules for Magic (Anima)
-Anima users use life energy when performing Anime. This produces strain on their bodies. If an Anima user pushes oneself too hard it could backfire and could possibly result in death
-Anima users can replenish some of their power, and eventually all of this spent life-force by resting.

Basic Character Profile Layout

Name:
Apparent Age:
Actual Age: (Keep it under 500 years)
Race:
Anima: (If your character possesses it.)
Title:
Appearance: (A description or a picture, or both.)
Personality: (Only a small description is required.)
History:

*if you find the Character Profile Layout lacking, please feel free to add anything you like.
Other information:

-Most of the role play will take place in the Levantine Kingdom. If things are too widespread, the role play will fall apart. Remember this. So have a good reason why your character is in The Levantine Kingdom. Your character may be hiding his race by wearing a cloak at all times in public and this is fine by me, or he/she might be a slave.
-I hoping that this RP has a high focus on the master/slave type genre, political intrigue and drama.
-This RP shouldn’t be seen as combat based RP, but combat is allowed. It’s a massive world for players to interact in. If one chooses they never have to leave their home in the Empire, if you know what you mean. Just have fun.
-When it comes to slave auction money really has no bearing. It should come down to whoever the owner of the slave character wants to go with. This should be revealed to the bidders OOC to avoid confusion and endless bidding wars because we all have infinite money unless someone wants to formulate rules on it.
-In the Levantine Kingdom, only Royalty, Nobles or those that work with royalty e.g. Ambassadors, Royal Guards, and the like can own slaves. Royal Harem women cannot own slaves.
Players:

AthenaNude - Ambassador
AceShriner - Blacksmith
rancorius - Ranger (halfling or elf)

AceShriner

This would be something I could gladly jump on. ^^

Is this going to have a plot of sorts or are we going to just make our characters and jump into this world and let the winds have thier way us? I'm for either lol. On a side note since positions are going to be a first come first serve basis can I be the Levantine local blacksmith?

Arander

An idea like this was done once before, although it's been pretty much dead for at least a year or two

Medieval Master & Servant

It got to be quite a large game, with dozens of games going on within the same kingdom (usually the same city). It did have a very general plot over the whole game, but for the most part people just did their own games within the main setting.

I for one would love to see something similar start up once again. A large setting where people can come and go, starting their own locations (tavern, brothel, business, etc...) and interacting in and around them with all manner of different players.

I'd love to play a common thief preying on the rich of the city.
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

On's & Off's

rancorius

sounds fun, i'd do either elf or halfing ranger

AthenaNude

Sounds intriguing.  I wouldn't mind playing a sexy high-ranking ambassador from one of the nearby nations (perhaps a desert country). 

Silk

Yeah, something akin to Master and servant is what I had in mind, although maybe not on such a grand scale intially.

I'm mostly going to be leaving you guys to decide on your own major plots for your characters, but there is also the option of the general plot sometimes intervening in particular areas. (Example maybe a bandit raid at a nearby village, which could result those int he village fighting back and nearby areas sending reinforcements) If you guys would like. But as stating earlier, best keep the area kept to a fairly small area until there is more interest and activity.

The reason why I want to keep the main plot away from player characters with them getting involved rather than a plot focused on player characters is because in almost all Rps I get into, one player who is vital to the current plot disappears and leaves 4-5 others waiting for a few weeks hoping for a reply, and results in a loss of interest.

Kunoichi

Hmm.  Well, since nobody else seems to have taken the spot of 'Royal Magus'...

Silk

AceShriner

Quick question. Are our characters limited to what they are by profession? Or could, for example, the town crier also be elven spy? another example, the bread maker could also be an magi?

Vandren

I'd be interested in a minor to mid-range noble (baron to count level), possibly half-Dwarf or full blooded Dwarf and probably with magical talent
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Silk

Quote from: AceShriner on December 19, 2009, 07:42:53 PM
Quick question. Are our characters limited to what they are by profession? Or could, for example, the town crier also be elven spy? another example, the bread maker could also be an magi?
Within reason, and ideally a story behind to why that is the case. If you were a retired teacher at the school of magi for example and is just trying to live a humble life as a bread maker would be fine for e.g.

Rune

I would be interested in playing this as well.

Soren

Silk

Its great to see some interest :D Let me know what sort of characters you would like to go with.

Soren

I'll would like to play a Scholar/Ambassador for the Levantine Kingdom. Do we have permission to put up our character profiles?

Rune

I was thinking about playing a nobleman who is a student of magic, in particular magical control, compulsions and summonings.

Silk

Character profiles are good to go, want me to set up a seperate page for the profiles in another? And I'm not sure how you'll want to grade this non-con or extreme ect.

And you can have those magical stuff as a nobleman, but you will need to keep it secret because of royalty knew of it, you wouldn't be anywhere near the castle, if not dead.

Rune

I would keep it as more of a private hobby.

Silk

Fair enough, just looking at it form the royal point of veiw of "Hang on that lord can control us, he is dangerous kepe him away"

Rachubka

Iiiiif a princess or something pops up, I'd be glad to be her knight / bodyguard / Lady in waiting. :D

Silk

If the more important roles are not taken like the royals then they will be acting NPC's that I can control until someone chooses to take the role :)

Carlissa

"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Silk

I don't see why not, its more of one massive sandbox with optional main plot rather than "This is the story you do as I say" So there is no reason to why pregnancy wouldnt be allowed as its a common part of life :D

AceShriner

For now i'll PM you my profile when I get a moment and you can tell me whether or not you approve. ^^

Carlissa

Ok, sweet! What species is the royal family? I have a character in mind tht is an elf, but I can go with a human as well...
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".