Black Crusade (cinematic / mostly freeform) - Recruitment reopened

Started by HairyHeretic, June 05, 2013, 03:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomicon, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor’s will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the countless Imperial Guard, the ever-vigilant Inquisition and the Tech-Priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus, to name but a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants—and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable.

Yet there are those who rise above those teeming masses, rejecting the conformity and servile nature of mankind.

The ignorant call them traitors, heretics, and the damned, but they know themselves as the Disciples of the Dark Gods.

I've tried running assorted 40k games before, using the regular system rules, but they never seem to do that well. This time I want to try something a bit different.

I'm aiming for rules light / mostly freeform, swiping a couple of ideas from other systems to help define characters, and to add a cinematic twist (I hope), as well as a single d8 roll for the Eye of the Gods (aka random chance).

To test this out I'm thinking of running a short, pre made adventure such as Broken Chains. If the idea works out ok, and a group gels together, I have the Hand of Corruption campaign book as well.

So ... are there any out there who would cast off the chains of the Carrion God, or stand forth as veterans of the Long War?

Immortality .. or oblivion .. await.

Character concepts:
Kythia - Ex Imperial Guard (Tz)
AndyZ - Discussing concepts via PM
Winterborn - Alpha Legionaire (Undivided)
LuciusLeche - Disgraced Sororitas (Repentia) / Excommunicatus Traitorus Radical Inquisitor / Rogue Trader
Baalborn87 - Heretek Dark Mechanicus
SatanKlaus - Disgraced Noble (Sla)
Terian - Mechanicus experimental combat unit
Kevben Battleheart - Discussing concepts via PM
Chaos - Corrupted Sororitas

OOC thread

Prologue thread

Main Game thread
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Roxy Rocket

Huh, never seen a game run from the side of evil.

Roxy be a curious.

Xanthaine

Feel the power of my mighty interest! Granted my lore knowledge is pretty sketchy on most warhammer (I collected necrons and literally only knew them and that was a couple of updates and retcons ago) so I may need to bone up on my knowledge.

HairyHeretic

I've been playing for as long as there has been a 40k, so any questions, feel free to ask :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kythia

Colour me tentatively interested.  I read the Ciaphas Cain books and really enjoyed them, but that's the limit of my lore knowledge.  If you have limited places then feel free to kick me if someone better comes along.  Tentatively interested with confirmation to follow.

Essentially just posting so I can keep an eye on the thread.

AndyZ

Bookmarking this, but of the meager portions I know of 40k, the Warp holds the least of my understanding.  I'd need to know more about my options, though with freeform, I'm quite apt to come up with something when I have a feel for things.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

HairyHeretic

The existing Black Crusade archtypes would do nicely for starter templates, but anything suitable ought to be ok.

I've to hit the hay now, but I'll post more details after work tomorrow.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

BenedictWolfe

With the risk of sounding slightly dense: What will the game be about? Will we actually be partaking of a Black Crusade? Are we playing Chaos Marines or some other type of Chaos aligned force?

Tentatively interested.

selfexiled

While I've been hoping for a solid 40k game in here for a while now I tend to be an Imperium of Man player instead of the warp tainted scoins of the heresy. That being said, I do not view the Emperor as a God like many would. So I might be a little on the fence in that respect.
Originality is fast becoming obsolete, to make a trully unique world all your own is the mark of a great writer, artist, thinker.

Uhm ONs/Offs link
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=134455.msg5990414#msg5990414

Absences:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180093.0

Pumpkin Seeds

azzmeister89

I would be interested if it was possible to have players on the side of mankind too seeing as then i could play as a grey knight or spacewolf

LuciusLeche

interested, interested, interested, and with many a concept too. I think the last time we spoke was about Dark Heresy too, Hairy, so I've been looking forward to a chance to game with you for awhile now!
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -Oscar Wilde

On's and Off's

More On's and Off's

HairyHeretic

Ok, to hopefully answer a few questions ...

First up, it won't be possible to play a loyal servant of the Imperium. Sorry folks, but I just don't see how the two can gel together without someones character getting killed. The closest I could see would be a neutral, someone like a pirate or criminal perhaps, who isn't technically a follower of Chaos, but isn't going to seek to exterminatus them at first chance either. Something like a Dark Eldar might be doable, but not a Throne agent. Sorry.

What the game will be about ... that's a little more up in the air. I do have scenarios that I can use, and indeed intend to use to start things up. If the players want to drive the game forwards, I can probably accommodate that too. We need minions .. let's take over the pirate vessel 'Atterete Dominatum'. I want to construct a daemon weapon .. cool, let's find the true name of a daemon, forge a suitable blade, research the binding ritual, then slaughter 1000 slaves to bring the favor of the Gods. If the PCs have goals they want to achieve, those will be the adventures.

To start with, since this is something of an experiment, I plan to use the FFG intro adventure Broken Chains. If it works, we go on from there, and if we play long enough, yes, a Black Crusade could be the eventual campaign goal.

In terms of characters, think about the 40k background, lore and fiction, and the assorted followers of Chaos. Chaos Space Marines, veterans of the Long War, those who fought alongside the Warmaster and scorched the Imperial Palace. Renegade marines of a more recent vintage. Rogue Traders turned pirate warlord. Psychers. Cult members and leaders. Heretek Dark Mechanicus.  Traitor Guard. Daemonhosts. A fallen Inquisitor. There are a myriad of possibilities.

Chaos Space Marines make wonderful armour plated killing machines, but they may not be quite so useful at deciphering that book of forbidden rituals, or infiltrating the Hive Spire in establish a cult. There can be roles for everyone, and I try to tailor my games so everyone gets their moment in the spotlight.

Now, in terms of rules, as I said it's going to be mostly freeform. I will be swiping a few ideas from games to add what I hope will be guidelines and a cinematic feel.

First up, each character will have a number of Aspects, swiped from the FATE systems (for those who know them). These are there partially to help flesh out and define the characters.

For example, my Night Lords space marine could have the following aspects.

Son of the sunless world - As a Night Lords marine, he can see in the dark far better than most. He has a talent for stealth, ambush and terror tactics. It also means he will favor a slow approach, to give time for terror attacks (preferably against helpless targets) to build an atmosphere.

Veteran of the Long War - He has fought against the Imperium for thousands of years. He has been many places, and made many friends .. and just as many enemies.

Aspects could be people you know, gear, contacts, personality traits, anything that could be used to give the character life, and generate adventure.

And before anyone asks, your own Repulsive Class Grand Cruiser is not an acceptable aspect.  :P

Knowing the location of an abandoned and almost intact one does make for a great story seed though. It would make for a wonderful base of operations. If it's still there. And you can find enough resources to reactivate it. And someone else doesn't decide it will make an even better base for them  >:)

Aspects are most useful when they're a two edged sword, something that can both give you a benefit, or cause you problems. When I, as the GM, get to use them to cause you problems, you get a Plot Point.

Plot points can be used for the cinematic moments. Using one gives you a boost for whatever you want to do. Make that impossible shot. Stumble across the hidden latch that opens the secret door when you bang your hand on the wall in frustration. Discover that the that mysterious pirate you need to sway to your cause is actually someone you know. Mother? Is that you?

You get the idea. If you use them in conjunction with an aspect, you'll get a further bonus.

As it's mostly freeform though, we want to go with the rule of cool. If it advances the story, and you're not being an absolute Munchkin, it's good. The Chaos Marine with the heavy bolter ought to be able to gun down an entire squad of Guardsmen with a sustained burst. If he is trying to take out the Lightning fighter bearing down on the group with his last remaining missile, well, that's the point we want to make a roll.

And maybe consider the spending of a plot point too :)

The Eye of the Gods (my trusty d8 here) will determine how well you do.
1-2: Wrath of the Gods - Things ... don't work out so well
3-4: The Gods gaze is elsewhere .. neutral result. Work with it.
5-7: You please the Gods ... what you try works
8: Favour of the Gods ... you're rewarded with an exceptionally good result.

Trying something that plays to your patron power will get a +1 (the warrior of Khorne engaging a dreadnought with a meltabomb). Trying something that would offend the power gets you a -1 (that same warrior of Khorne trying to talk their way out of a fight). If a post is exceptionally well written, that may gain a +1 at my discretion. The Chaos Gods can be fickle that way ;)

Now, aside from me sending trouble your way with the aspects, the other way to earn plot points is to impress the hell out of the group. An extremely well written post. A line that cracks everyone up. Something that makes the other people go "Ok, that was cool." They nominate you for a plot point. If it's judged worthy, you get the plot point.

I don't plan on being too miserly with these, as they can be used to provide those cinematic moments, but at the same time I wouldn't give them out like candy either. Using them a few times in each scenario is probably a good rule of thumb. Think of the 40k fiction you've read. It has cool moments, but not every other page.

So ... does that help any?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kythia

It does.  And upgrades my interest from tentative to definite, if you'll have me.  Have also been boing *giggles* up on the setting a little more.  Currently thinking a former Guardsman (-woman) now loyal to Tzeentch.

Winterborn

I really shouldn't. I mean, I really should not... But it's 40K, and Black Crusade no less... I mustn't...

But I shall! Put me down as interested, I can't pass it up! I'mma get my Khornate RAEGFACE on.

Concepts: I'm seeing a Forsaken of the Alpha Legion, or possibly a similar sort of renegade from a more recent time. Might be an advanced scout and infiltrator for an attack on the Imperium, laying the groundwork by fomenting cults and rebellion while simultaneously using them to collect information on sector defenses and weaknesses. His reason for joining the warband would be a recognition of their talents, and a belief that by helping them sow destruction and confusion within the Imperium, he is helping his own cause.

Baalborn87

I'm very interested. I have the Black Crusade rulebook. Also the two supplements. Is it Ok if I take a character out of one of them? *cough* Tzeentch! *cough*

HairyHeretic

Using any of the 40k books for background or character ideas is fine. As we're going mostly freeform, stats, talents and so on aren't a concern. They will provide good ideas for characters and gear though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Baalborn87

SQUEEEE!.............I mean "Death to the Corpse Emperor!"

LuciusLeche

probably too soon, but I see other people are already dedicating themselves to specific gods so I figure I'd better throw down my weirder concepts now and be told no early on so I can make something more suitable sooner.

Top three for your perusal, Dear hairy:

- (Counts-as Tzeentch oriented space marine) An excommunicated sister, possibly a former repentia, that showed signs of living sainthood. Her defiance of the Ecclisarchy's wishes lead to her attempted assassination and her being stricken from Imperial record and shamed. Left with almost no one to turn to it would be a crisis of faith to be a renegade and not quite a heretic. There would be no burning or attacking of other players in fact unless directly threatened or in need of it there may be a degree of passificm there as she tries to understand what her god has in store for her being cast out amongst all the others in the church call filth. If I remember the progression in the books, the characters work toward Daemonhood yes? this might be a chance to work toward actual sainthood, playing off powers of the gods as either Naivete or they actually being the blessing of the chaos gods and she too stubborn to realize she is slowly being corrupted?

- A Malal/sons of malice themed fallen inquisitor determined that the only way to save the Imperium is to destroy it and will actively work against all he served in the belief that he is still serving it, albiet next to deamons and other heretics. Sort of a more militantly active Colonel Walter Kurtz from Apocalypse Now.

-Khorne/slaanesh based, Marquis de Sade like Rogue Trader noble long gone mad with the obsession of youth and vigor ready to ascend to higher levels of what his gods demand and to sponser those who share his tastes and other 'philanthropy' read: the other PC's.

Those are my top three as of now, if you see any conflicts or would like me to clarify anything I'll be more than happy to come up with more. I have a ton of concepts past these too so I won't get all whiny if I'm told no or anything.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -Oscar Wilde

On's and Off's

More On's and Off's

HairyHeretic

A little info I ought to provide before people get too far along with character concepts ...

The intro scenario, Broken Chains, starts with the players captured by the Inquisition.

You are heretics.

Condemned by the God-Emperor for your crimes and sentenced to imprisonment, torture and eventually death by the Inquisition. Though your crimes are varied, you share a similar fate, having been hunted down and captured by agents of the Imperium and incarcerated aboard the Chains of Judgement, a prison barge on a course for the core worlds of the Calixis Sector and its capital Scintilla, where the dungeons of the Tricorn Palace await you. Befitting your nature as dangerous criminals, you were placed in stasis, held in a state of limbo to ride out the journey, powerless to change your fate. Now you have awoken, the feeble lights of the stasis crypt greeting you as you stumble from your casket. Strangely though, no leering guards or armoured troopers stand waiting with manacles ready.

Looking around you see others like yourself emerge from their own caskets. You also note the walls and floor are thick with dust and age. You cannot help but wonder; just how long have you slumbered, and what has happened in that time?

I won't say that you don't know each other, as I prefer not to impose too many restrictions on characters, but it's unlikely. You may know of each other, at least by reputation, in some cases. You're also going to be someone who was worth taking alive (for a time at least), so you're a cut above the normal shoot-out-of-hand dregs. The Imperium wanted your secrets, or for your death to be a public spectacle. Keep that in mind when coming up with ideas.

Kythia .. former IG works nicely. Are you thinking a regimental officer, or someone less important?

Winterborn - Alpha Legion works well. Let me guess .. you're Alpharius, right? ;) Joining the warband will initially be a matter of survival, other motivations can come in time.

LuciusLeche - The Sister would probably work nicely. Taken on charges of Heresy, set for a messy public trial. Malal is pretty much unknown by most 40k players, but I seem to recall there is a faction of the Inquisition that would work nicely for you. A Radical, of the Recongregationism / Istvaanism philosophy, declared Excommunicatus Traitorus by others of the Ordos. Your noble sounds more Slaaneshi than Khornate, but that works fine too.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kythia

I was thinking sergeant/NCO level.  I was actually thinking she was part of some wider cult within the guard at large or possibly just within the regiment (Id like to make up my own regiment if that's cool?).  Seems to fit in nicely with the "taken alive" thing.  The inqiusition need names.

Kevben Battleheart

Color me intrested. I always wanted to play in a game run by Hairy, but seeing as how many people are showing intrest, I will willingly bow out.
The Saga of Battleheart (O/O's)The Vault of Victory  ♥
The World of Adalern (currently closed to critiquing)
Tell one your thoughts, but beware of two. All know what is known to three.
Thought for the week: Harden your soul against decadence, but do not despise it for the soft appearance of the decadent may be deceiving.

Baalborn87

I have a couple of ideas i'd like to do.

1) Thousand son's Sorcerer (with rubric marine minion) sent on a quest by Magnus to find a possible reversal to the rubric of Ahriman. He would have a particular hatred for Spacewolves

2) Khornite blood cult assassin. Sniper with explosive tipped ammo (amputator rounds).

3) Disillusioned Heretek. Who believes that the only true "natural" progression for machine spirits is true sentience...or deamonic possession, same difference.

Pumpkin Seeds

Trying to rack my brain for ideas.  Everyone else has such great ones.