Exalted 2nd edition Looking for a group and Storyteller.

Started by Starfall Smiting Prince, August 09, 2010, 11:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Empyrean

Muse

May I also suggest for new people, the web comic Keychain of Creation? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Empyrean

Muse's suggestion is a great one. :) Informative and funny as hell! The link to the comic's first episode is: http://keychain.patternspider.net/archive/koc0001.html

HairyHeretic

If I run it, I would be ok with Solars and Lunars.

Infernals would obviously be out. Alchemicals I would have trouble intergrating.

Dragonbloods, while normally not really fitting with a celestial group, might actually work in this setting, but there could be problems in terms of power levels. Outcaste are a possibility.

Sidereals I would have to see, as I believe there may be canon issues complicating matters there.

Abyssals ... tricky. A ronin Abyssal might work, but I'd need something to really grab me there.

Did I miss anything?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Muse

It would be so epically awesome to play in the Return of the Empress, Hairy.  Any way I can encourage you? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Empyrean

Hairy: Would ronin Sidereal work?

Otherwise, yeah. I echo Muse. ^_^

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Muse on August 12, 2010, 03:17:20 PM
It would be so epically awesome to play in the Return of the Empress, Hairy.  Any way I can encourage you?

Add more hours to the day? :)

Honestly, I do want to play it, but my concern is my time. I'm not the fastest poster, especially with having a lot on my plate at present. If I decided to run this, I'd want to make sure I actually could run it to a decent standard.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

fallensaviour

if it helps i could kill your scion character ;) (kidding :P)

Hikari

I'd like to play.  I could come up with a Solar, Abyssal, or Infernal fairly easily.  A Lunar or Sidereal...  possibly, but I don't really have anything in mind for that.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

HairyHeretic

Quote from: fallensaviour on August 12, 2010, 11:21:47 PM
if it helps i could kill your scion character ;) (kidding :P)

Running a game takes more time than simply playing in one, but I appreciate the offer  :P

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Great Triangle

If people are interested in an Exalted game, I might be able to cook something up. 

There will be certain limitations, however; specifically, I'm uninterested in running a game involving Solars.  I also can generally only post after 8PM Eastern Time, and possibly in the mornings if the flow of the game goes well.  I'm most interested in running something extremely low power, like heroic mortals (see my ad for that game)  but I'd be willing to run Exalted as long as they weren't solars.

Some games I might be willing to run: 

-A group of Lunars deal with loony solar mates in the East.
-Dragon Blooded and Sidereals try to avert (or win) realm civil war on the blessed isle
-A Rebellious group of Abyssals under the First and Forsaken Lion campaign against the Bull of the North.
-Alchemical Exalted open up a ghost hunting business in Nexus.  (to restore the supply of souls in Autocthonia)
-After a plague wipes out all humans, Dragon Kings must protect and guard the ascended animals who will regenerate humanity.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Pumpkin Seeds

Those sound neat Triangle.  And yay, Return of the Scarlet Empress is on its way to my greedy fingers.

Brandon

Out of all those the Dragonblooded and sidreals looks the most interesting to me. Although Alchemicals could be cool too but I dont know a thing about them yet (havnt actually read their book yet). The other ideas have potential but they dont really call out to me.

The only one I think I wouldnt want to do is the Lunars one, Ive got a Lunar going in an active game already and it would be nice to change things up
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hikari

The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

The Unholy Potato

I would also like to chip in and state my interest in playing (or even running, though I have less experience, there) Exalted! However, I do have to ask the following: would it most likely take the form of a PBP affair, or would we somehow work it out on a chat of some sort?

Secondarily, would we be using the Errata or perhaps the Hundredfold Facets of Enlightenment*? Both would be rather nifty, in my mind. And free, too!

*Black and White here.

The Great Triangle

If I'm running, all officially published Eratta will be used, but anything from Hundredfold Facets of Enlightenment will be considered player created custom material.  (in other words, ST permission is needed, but you're free to use it as long as you don't think you're entitled to use it.)  On a personal level, I have serious issues with some of the hundredfold facets material, but most of it is fine, or I'll accept it with minor changes.

I would be willing to do online chats for sections of the game, perhaps on irc, yahoo, or aol, though there will definately be a pbp section between chats.  If the majority of players can attend, they would usually be scheduled late Eastern time (after 8 PM)  I might also be able to run longer sessions on certain days where players can discuss issues and run scenes, and on those days, I'll pretty much be online all day.

So, of the games on the docket, here's the current votes:

Dragonblooded Brink of War: 2
Abyssal "Loyalists": 1
Alchemical Ghostbusters: 0.5
Shapeshifting Sex-Slaves: -1

Naturally, some more people will need to chime in.  :-) 

Ons and Offs

Pumpkin Seeds

Starfall Smiting Prince

Why not, I'll put my vote on the abyssal side of things.

The Unholy Potato

Well, I was more hoping for Solar, but I suppose Abyssals are a viable alternative! If anything, it makes the concept I've been kicking around even more fun, if a bit crazier, too.

Muse

The Great Triangle

Seems like a strong show of support for the abyssals.  *smiles*  And it's something I could work with, if you people are interested.  If there's not major opposition from certain quarters, I would be willing to run an Abyssals game.

All of your characters will have to begin as a circle under the First and Forsaken Lion, though you can also take the Black Heron as a leige if you're feeling feisty.  The group will be given horrific objectives by the Lion, sent out into creation, and then recalled back to the Deathlord's citadel to report on their progress.  A major theme of the game will be finding ways to sabotage the Lion, or come up with ways of breaking creation even WORSE than what the Deathlord envisioned.

PC on PC conflict is very probable, so I do reccomend picking up mental perfect defenses unless you want to get bullied into things by your companions. 

Character creation will use the normal rules in Manual of Exalted Power: Abyssals, except that characters automatically get a single perfect defense charm for free, plus all prerequisite charms, provided they meet the minimum essence and ability requirements.  Valid charms to get through this method include: Death Deflecting Technique (in melee), Wounds Mean Nothing (in resistance), or Flickering Wisp Technique (in dodge).  Only Abyssal or Solar charms are valid for your free perfect defense charm, though getting access to solar charms would stretch the limits of a starting character.

Another house rule which may affect your starting decisions is that health will be calculated differently from normal Exalted chronicles.  Characters get a number of -1 and -2 health levels equal to their stamina, and for each point by which a character's essence exceeds 1, the character gets an additional -2 and two -4 health levels.  Abyssals are champions of death, and they are HARD to kill.

Note that it is still valid to pick up deathlords other than the First and Forsaken Lion as mentors, if you so choose.

Ons and Offs

Brandon

well if were doing abyssals Im calling the midnight caste. Ive got a deliciously devious idea for one
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

The Unholy Potato

I plan to play either a Daybreak or Moonshadow Caste, though I am thoroughly wiling to negotiate with others if someone else has an overwhelming desire to play one or both of those, instead.

Edit: Also, Triangle, I assume I should PM you for specifics if I want to use merits/whatever? Or do you have a basic ruling for including or excluding all those finicky little things found in the various sourcebooks?

The Great Triangle

Merits and Flaws are completely banned.  Other things from Scroll of Heroes might be allowed on a case by case basis.  Mutations are alright, though you may get no more than 7 bonus points from negative mutations, and I'd prefer if players went easy on them.

Other than that, I'm fairly okay with most official sources, though I retain the right to veto things that are overpowered (such as oblivion's panoply armor) 

Feel free to PM though!

I don't think there should be too much worry about niche protection, since there's more than enough conceptual space in all the castes for an entire circle to be formed from one caste.  If two players DO pick the same caste, though, they should examine their concepts to make sure they're not stepping on each others' toes.

The other major house rule I'll be using is that taking sorcery initiation charms is unneccisary to use sorcery.  In my games, the charms only exist is a means to initiate in sorcery without having to go through the salinian working (and do the trials).  If a player does use abyssal charms to become a sorcerer or necromancer, spells which animate or create new beings cost 5 motes less to cast per circle.  (so 2nd circle spells cost 10 motes less to cast, and 3rd circle spells cost 15 motes less to cast)

Ons and Offs

Brandon

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out