Help with table code

Started by Ember Star, October 23, 2013, 10:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ember Star

Okay, the table code is the one code that just befuddles me. I can't grasp how it works. Possibly because I haven't experimented with it. But I've finally decided to ask, can somebody please explain to me how to work it? What the TR, TB, and whatever else means, and how to make those neat little lists of rows that go down?
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Dovel

Did you want something like this?

Table 1
Name 1
Name 2

Table 2
List 1
List 2

Table 3
Text 1
Text 2

Table 4
Description 1
Description 2

The code for it is:

[center][table]
[tr]
[td][center][color=Purple][u][b]Table 1[/b][/u][/color][/center]
Name 1
Name 2
[/td]
[td]     [/td]
[td][center][color=Purple][u][b]Table 2[/b][/u][/color][/center]
List 1
List 2
[/td]
[td]     [/td]
[td][center][color=Purple][u][b]Table 3[/b][/u][/color][/center]
Text 1
Text 2
[/td]
[td]     [/td]
[td][center][color=Purple][u][b]Table 4[/b][/u][/color][/center]
Description 1
Description 2
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table][/center]

You can just copy that, and type in your own heading. Also, you can link the items within the table as you wish if they are to list a story or thread.
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

Oniya

The easiest way to remember it is that the {tr} tags go around a table row.  The {td} tags go around the cells in that row.

Dovel's example could also have been written as:

Table 1
Table 2 
Table 3 
Table 4
Name 1List 1Text 1Description 1
Name 2List 2Text 2Description 2

[center][table]
[tr]
[td][center][color=Purple][u][b]Table 1[/b][/u][/color][/center][/td][td][center][color=Purple][u][b]Table 2  [/b][/u][/color][/center][/td][td][center][color=Purple][u][b]Table 3  [/b][/u][/color][/center][/td][td][center][color=Purple][u][b]Table 4[/b][/u][/color][/center][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Name 1[/td][td]List 1[/td][td]Text 1[/td][td]Description 1[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Name 2[/td][td]List 2[/td][td]Text 2[/td][td]Description 2[/td]
[/tr]
[/table][/center]

Each {tr} group is one row.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ember Star

*squeal* Thank y'all so much! IDK why that one stumped me so much. But y'alls explanation and codes are mighty helpful!
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Beguile's Mistress

*adds my thanks too*

I've wanted to explore tables and this has made it easier. ;D

Oreo

For those that still have troubles there is a free BBCode Table Generator. I used it a lot when I was first trying to figure out tables. Seeing the code after the table was made helped me get a grasp of what was happening.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Amelita

When I first started writing tables, I found setting the code up like this helped:

[table]
[tr][td]stuff 1[/td][td]stuff 2[/td][td]stuff 3[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]stuff A[/td][td]stuff B[/td][td]stuff C[/td][/tr]
[/table]

It made clearer sense to me when I saw it lined up with each TR hugging the pairs of TD's.

stuff 1stuff 2stuff 3
stuff Astuff Bstuff C

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Oniya

Quote from: Amelita on October 25, 2013, 03:50:55 PM
When I first started writing tables, I found setting the code up like this helped:

[table]
[tr][td]stuff 1[/td][td]stuff 2[/td][td]stuff 3[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]stuff A[/td][td]stuff B[/td][td]stuff C[/td][/tr]
[/table]

It made clearer sense to me when I saw it lined up with each TR hugging the pairs of TD's.

stuff 1stuff 2stuff 3
stuff Astuff Bstuff C

Also, it makes it easier to insert, delete,  and otherwise rearrange rows.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caeli

I actually find it easier to format it in blocks, and not in rows, especially if I have a lot of content:

[table]

[tr]
[td]Row 1 Cell 1[/td]
[td]Row 1 Cell 2[/td]
[td]Row 1 Cell 3[/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]Row 2 Cell 1[/td]
[td]Row 2 Cell 2[/td]
[td]Row 2 Cell 3[/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]Row 3 Cell 1[/td]
[td]Row 3 Cell 2[/td]
[td]Row 3 Cell 3[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]

Row 1 Cell 1Row 1 Cell 2Row 1 Cell 3
Row 2 Cell 1Row 2 Cell 2Row 2 Cell 3
Row 3 Cell 1Row 3 Cell 2Row 3 Cell 3

I can't "tab" out different lines in the BBCode, but this is the same way that I write HTML and that I program, so it makes more sense to me from an organizational standpoint.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Ember Star

Okay, I used Dovel's code. But what have I done wrong? Why is it uneven?

Character:
Alluriella Night
Carmine Revelon
Deidra Súileabhán
Locien Beriothien
Skilgannon the Damned
Zora Tickker

Character Rank:
Queen of Indigo
Outcast
Keeper of the Rivers of Death
Top Spy/Traveler
Hunter
Ship Captain

Character Race:
Neko-Angel
Avian Shape Shifter
Necromancer
High Elf
Human/Mutant
Human-Sorceress

Played By:
Ember Star
Chrystal
rustytiger
KnightNelson20
Deamonbane
Ember Star

Amelita

It was because the headers are centered and the column content is not. The extra space was because you had hit enter in these spots.

Try this:

[table][tr][td][color=blue][u][b]Character:[/b][/u][/color]
[URL=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=190462.msg9220750#msg9220750]Alluriella Night[/URL]
[URL=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=190462.msg9221546#msg9221546]Carmine Revelon[/URL]
[URL=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=190462.msg9220901#msg9220901]Deidra Súileabhán[/URL]
[URL=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=190462.msg9223768#msg9223768]Locien Beriothien[/URL]
[URL=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=190462.msg9222474#msg9222474]Skilgannon the Damned[/URL]
[URL=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=190462.msg9220765#msg9220765]Zora Tickker[/URL]
[/td]
[td]     [/td]
[td][color=blue][u][b]Character Rank:[/b][/u][/color]
Queen of Indigo
Outcast
Top Spy/Traveler
Hunter
Ship Captain
[/td]
[td]     [/td]
[td][color=blue][u][b]Character Race:[/b][/u][/color]
Neko-Angel
Avian Shape Shifter
Necromancer
High Elf
Human/Mutant
Human-Sorceress
[/td]
[td]     [/td]
[td][color=blue][u][b]Played By:[/b][/u][/color]
Ember Star
Chrystal
rustytiger
KnightNelson20
Deamonbane
Ember Star
[/td][/tr][/table]

:)

Character:
Alluriella Night
Carmine Revelon
Deidra Súileabhán
Locien Beriothien
Skilgannon the Damned
Zora Tickker
     Character Rank:
Queen of Indigo
Outcast
Top Spy/Traveler
Hunter
Ship Captain
     Character Race:
Neko-Angel
Avian Shape Shifter
Necromancer
High Elf
Human/Mutant
Human-Sorceress
     Played By:
Ember Star
Chrystal
rustytiger
KnightNelson20
Deamonbane
Ember Star

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Ember Star

Thank you! Thank you! Still figuring this whole thing out. LOL.