Drow Academy (D&D 3.5) - Please read for Q&A

Started by sleepingferret, March 26, 2014, 06:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleepingferret

The Premise:

I'd like to run a story/game focusing on Menzoberranzan (aka the infamous City of Spiders), with specific focus on the drow Academy in the city.  Players may be students or some players may play masters, specific key Forgotten Realms personalities from the city will be posted up for players, if they wish to play them.  For the most part said characters will be masters or key students during the era of the story which would help move things along.

The story will be starting in 1300 DR, so 3 years after Drizzt Do'Urden's birth.  Depending on the game length and such, players may or may not see him as a student, and the key events of "Homeland", may or may not affect our story.  However, with the story taking place during this era, this means that the legendary Zaknafein Do'Urden will be around the city, and House Do'Urden will be in its time of glory.

Players may create characters from any of the various noble Houses within the city or may create a character from one of the lower "unknown" Houses, as all drow of the city attend the Academy.  Again players will mostly be students of the Academy, but we shall need some to play masters as well.

I for example, as well as being the lead GM, shall be playing Gromph Baerne, the city's Archmage and a master and a member of the council that was in charge of heading Sorcere, the school of mages of the Academy.

I will be putting together any specific custom rules, such as allowed or not source-books, and such once I have a better idea of interest.  Again this will be more focusing on character stories and Academy itself, the many years every drow spends to learn their "trade", along with the ways of Lolth.

So will your character be another "rogue" and try to escape the ways of Lolth?  And if so why...and how?  Or will you fit in just fine and enjoy the mass orgy at graduation?  And what happens in between then and the time you walk up the steps of Tier Breche and enter the doors of either Sorcere, Arach-Tinilith, or Melee-Magthere?

EDIT: Please read through the thread for some Q&A, between myself and currently interested parties.  Student character slots are CLOSED for now.  We still have 1 instructor spot (for a female character that is a cleric of Lolth) and if someone has knowledge of the setting and would like to play Triel Baerne, please send me a PM.

EDIT: System Play Rules Posted Friday 4/4 @ approx. 12:40 pm PST/2:40 pm CST/3:40 EST; Includes Skill Checks and Combat Rolling

EDIT: Character Creation Rules Edited AND Finalized 3/30 2:45 AM PST/4:45 AM CST/5:45 AM EST

Character List

Matron Mistress Triel Baerne - played by ?
Archmage Gromph Baerne - played by Sleepingferret

Master ? , instructor at Sorcere - played by ?
Master Taleeryn Symryvvin, instructor at Melee-Magthere - played by Zaer Darkwail
Mistress ?  , Priestess of Lolth and instructor at Arach-Tinilith - played by Foxy Oni (DM Note: awaiting player turn in)

Alonia Duskryn - played by Ghostwheel (DM Note: no Myth-Weaver/Plot-Hook Sheet turned in, character reviewed)
Haelen Del'Armgo (Wizard {Conjurer} 3) - played by Countdown0
Kukona Odran (Divine Bard 1/Wilder 2) - played by Foxy Oni (DM Note: no Myth-Weaver/Plot-Hook Sheet turned in, character reviewed)
Zek'Drol Shobalar (Hexblade 1/Barbarian 2) - played by Kdyami
Jedex Xolarin (Swashbuckler 3) - played by Muse
Jalynfein Freth (Barbarian 1/Secondary Racial Template +2) - played by Snake
Ameesril  Xorlarrin (Cleric 2/Warlock 1) - played by Zaer Darkwail (DM Note: character under final review)
?Xullim? (Warlock 3) - played by Anon315 (DM Note: awaiting player final edits/character under review)
EtheIzz'Min (Rogue 3) - played by RubySlippers (DM Note: no Myth-Weaver/Plot-Hook Sheet turned in, character reviewed)

Jazerat Fey-Branche (Rogue 1/Swashbuckler 1/Swordsage 1) - played by Blinkin (DM Note: no Myth-Weaver/Plot-Hook Sheet turned in, character reviewed; Player Status on hold)

*All Myth-Weaver/Plot-Hook character sheets that do not have DM Notes have been reviewed.
*At least one Master/Mistress role is open for each of the schools.

General Game Rules, Custom Rules, and Special Notes

DM: Sleepingferret
Co-DM: Ghostwheel

Game Rules:  Rule interpretations are the Dungeon Master's responsibility.  He and his Co-DM may discuss any disagreements from players but any final rulings from the DM is "law".  This is meant to keep the story going, as I'm more interested in having a good role playing experience than spending everyone's time dusting off their rulebooks and reading. 

Player versus Player Combat: Is allowed, but never results in unintentional death. Instead if someone would be killed in the heat of battle, they are reduced to -1 and stable, after which the other combatant can coup-d-grace them.  Intentional death effects such as disintegrate, finger of death, etc. or just plain announced intentional "assassinations" or killings, still result in direct death if an attack would immediately kill an opponent.  This intentional "killing" exception, includes anything from a simple knife in the back, magic missiles and all the way up to the more drastic and directly lethal spells already mentioned.

Hopefully, we don't have any major PvP issues... but drow will be drow.  So settle things "nicely" as players.  8-)

Sexual Content:  As per discussion/Q&A encounters between players are between involved parties (i.e. Only a public person A and person B are "doing it" by the lake, type post is needed in case person A and/or person B would need to be sought out or in case some random monster or person would happen to stumble upon their "encounter" and turn their private encounter into an "escapade").

Any "public" sexual content or story line content will either be played out or can be just be written up as more of novel scene depending on how the players want to handle it.  This includes things such as the graduation ceremonies at the Academy, where part of it is basically a big orgy.

Any non-consensual content, must have the expressed consent of the participants and again may be completely played out or written out as more of a novel scene.

Custom Rules

Character Religion: Your character's religion must be role-played.  It doesn't have to be a primary focus, but it has to be clear enough so that it is a characteristic of your character.

Remember your character lives in a female clergy of Lolth controlled world, and the Spider Queen does not tolerate competition.  If you do so happen to worship another deity, you'll have to pay "lip service" to Lolth or just be extremely good in hiding your true faith.

Bows and Crossbows: Tactically speaking, due to the nature of the cavern environment the use of bows doesn't make sense.  Therefore, regardless whether of not, it is possible to "forge" a functional bow out of steel, the drow use crossbows as their ranged weapons.  Actual short bows and long bows are not available in Menzoberranzan or would have to be imported on special request by a merchant that at the Bazaar that had ties to the surface.

Actually, isn't so much the material/construction factor, as it is the space for properly using a bow in some areas of the Underdark.  While many caverns and such are large open areas, many areas where drow engage in battle can be narrow tunnels or even narrowly shaped caverns where crossbows have proven to be more effective as first strike ranged weapons, before closing into melee.

Players may not begin play with short bows or long bows and any attempts to make a special request to a merchant for one must be role-played out with either myself or Ghostwheel.

Poisons: After talking Ghostwheel and I felt that poisons in D&D just felt "wrong".  Both in pricing and "power", so we are going to use a different system to help this.  Please see here for more details.  Questions should be directed to Ghostwheel or myself.  The types of poisons themselves are still the same listed in the books, we are just using a new system to determine costs and using a system that allows players a way to create stronger poisons if they desire.

Special Material - Mithral:: While the availability of the metal itself may not be lacking in the Underdark, due to the metal's silvery color the drow tend to favor adamantine for their weapons and armor.  While they have developed a process for "blackening" mithral armor during its forging, said process is costly and thus has kept adamantine to be the favored metal due to its natural color.  In fact, even finding a blacksmith who has the tools and skills to forge "blackened" mithral is sometimes difficult.

Base Item Cost for "Blackened" Mithral Items:

• Weapons: +4,500 gp
  • Ammunition: +80 gp
  • Armor (light): +7,000 gp
  • Armor (medium): +14,000 gp
  • Armor (heavy): +21,000 gp

Weapons and Armor Concealment: Especially armor concealment, if you are going to try to conceal your armor with your clothing, you need to:

• Think about the type of armor you're wearing versus the clothing you are wearing.
  • Consider the "bulkiness" of the armor you're wearing versus the clothing are wearing.  Concealing a chain shirt, not necessarily a difficult task if you aren't wearing "revealing" clothes.  Concealing breastplates, half-plate, full plate, banded mail, or splint mail... not going to happen.
  • Also consider from the armor description how much of your body the armor covers, versus how much your clothing is covering.  Or can your outfit sort of blend in with any pieces of armor that might be "sticking out".
  • For things like chain shirts...there is still a small noise factor to consider or for any small things like a low cut shirt collar that might accidentally reveal your armor, any reflective properties of the armor.

• For weapons, again as with armor there are just somethings you can't hide.  No one is going to hide say a two-handed sword or a polearm.
  • But for things like daggers and the like, you have to things to consider.  There is the where, the how, and the how to keep them hidden.

To Roll or Not to Roll, That is the Question...

Online Dice Roller: No "strict" enforcement of which you use.  So you don't have to use Elliquiy's if you don't "like" it.  Our only rule for fairness, is that Ghostwheel and I have to be able to check reference to the site your roll(s) came from.  If we cannot, then your roll(s) will be considered invalid.

Skill Rolls: Since we're here to focus more on the RP aspect, I'd like to push skill rolls of to the side a bit.  Unless the task (skill trick, etc.) is difficult say DC 20 or above or it something your character has never done before (or is trying to learn), we are going to use the Take 10 rule for Skill Checks.  If however, you have any reason you want to NOT Take 10 and to attempt a roll for a skill attempt, you may always do so.  However, this means for opposed skill checks this entitles your opponents to do so as well.

Combat Scenario Skill Checks: During Combat Scenarios (any time Initiative Rolls are called for by the DM or Co-DM), the Take 10 rule does NOT apply.  All Skill Rolls must be rolled during Combat Scenarios.

Combat Rules: Any rolls for combat; including Initiative, attack, damage, healing, etc. will be rolled and rolls, along results should be pasted in the thread.

Character Creation and Sourcebook Allowances/Dis-allowances

Ruling about 3.0/3.5 sources: If a book was either completely republished for 3.5 (or has an update), you use the 3.5 update.  If no 3.5 update exists or say for example the prestige class was not republished in any other 3.5 sourcebook, please present to me, just so I can take a quick glance.  More than likely I'll have no problem with it.

Rule regarding Core Sourcebook material versus Forgotten Realms Sourcebook material (primarily regarding prestige classes): This will be addressed on a case by case basis, although if one person asks about a particular prestige class and I rule one way, said ruling stands for all.  Prestige class material seems to be the only majorly point where conflicting information seems to arise, however if any other issue can be pointed out, again it will be addressed on a case by case basis, and once a ruling has been made, it stands.

Sourcebooks Dis-allowed: Unearthed Arcana (except for traits/flaws AND Variant Classes approved on a case by case basis with provided character concept; all other material in the Unearthed Arcana remains excluded including Paragon Classes, Spell Points, Weapon Group Feats, etc.), Tome of Magic, Dragon Magic, Frostburn, Heroes of Battle, Heroes of Horror, ANY other Campaign Setting material (Oriental Adventures, Ravenloft, etc.)

Sourcebooks Allowed:: ANY Forgotten Realms material (again if there is a 3.5 update please use it) and any other D&D 3.5 book NOT listed under the dis-allowed section (i.e. Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer, Spell Compendium, Expanded Psionics, Complete Psionics, Magic Item Compendium, are all OK). 

Again if there wasn't a 3.5 update or if for example a prestige class was never republished in a 3.5 book, please ask me for approval; approval will be for the prestige class itself or for the feat, item, etc. in question not the book itself...unless you have reason to ask for the entire book.

Reminder: Note your ECL, but for encounter purposes and such it will not be a factor.  I know and you know, you are all drow.  Worse case, there is an extra "bad" guy or something for you to deal with, because I felt the last encounter was too easy, and so I up the difficulty a bit.

Character Creation

Drow Racial Abilities/Adjustments: See here

Starting Level: 3rd
Ability Scores: 32 point buy
Hit Points: Max + CON 1st level; d12 HD 9+CON thereafter, d10 HD 7+CON thereafter, All others 1/2 HD + 1 + CON thereafter
Traits: 1
Flaws: up to 2
Regional Feat: Given as bonus feat (see the Player's Guide to Faerun and/or the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting)

Highborn Drow [Feat]: Given as bonus feat if your character is the son or daughter of a Matron mother (or son or daughter of one of the Matron's daughters, making you an indirect "family" member; no players playing commoner characters may take this feat).  I am changing the level at which you gain the Levitate ability to 8th level.  However, I am also giving an additional use of the basic drow spell abilities for every 6 character levels (so at 6th, 12th, and 18th) for possessors of this feat.

TOTAL Feats (for Commoners): 2 + 1 bonus Regional
TOTAL Feats (for Nobles; sons/daughters of Matron Mothers or sons/daughters of the Matron's daughters): 2 + 1 bonus Regional + Highborn Drow

*Feat Total excludes any Class Bonus Feats and Bonus Feats from Flaws
*NOTE: Since there are like only 2 Regional Feats for Drow of Menzoberranzan, unless it is something absolutely off the wall like choosing a dwarf only (or surface elf only), or anything else that just wouldn't make sense, you may choose from any Regional Feats within reason.  If in doubt, please ask.

Starting Equipment/Gold

Gold: 1,500 gp (may be spent on personal items, potions, etc.; please see me before buying additional weapons/armor)

Basic Gear: You will be assumed to be supplied with a Basic Set of gear.  Whether you want to say you have it with you or the Academy supplies it to you for raids and such, is up to you.  But for any Academy "sponsored" trips, they will supply their students with traveling basics.  For personal trips you are responsible for supplying yourself and may assume you have 1 Basic Set of gear, but beyond that you must obtain supplies yourself for any personal use.

Weapons, Armor, Wands, Etc.: Please see me with at least your character concept and a basic background (Please include notes, such as whether or not you will be using two-weapon fighting for your primary means of combat).  You will be given drowcraft adamantine arms and armor appropriate for your character and concept.  Or for example wizards will receive some appropriate items since they can't use nor would they benefit from having armor or for example say a sword.

Special Note: Character concepts and backgrounds will also impact starting equipment.

** As Noted you will be given items appropriate for your character/concept, such as weapons and armor (or wands, rods, etc.) by me as part of your starting package.  Please PM me to discuss your character concept, so that your starting package can be determined appropriately. **

Class Restrictions:

Female characters: Must be primarily clerics (or please see me)
Male characters: May not be clerics

*Traits and Flaws must be role-played, but for all intents and purposes the in-game system is optional.  You do NOT have to take a trait and/or flaw.  You are allowed to, but do not have to; my only exception to this would be, if you played out one of the traits listed, such as Dishonest or Nearsighted, but any characteristic not listed or one such as Spellgifted or Specialized does not have to be taken.  Said talents can be played out by taking feats/skills or class features.  But the honesty/dishonesty, while they can be realistically be played out, for game purposes, the trait fits.

You may also elect to take additional traits instead of the bonus feats granted by taking flaws.

Starting Age Ranges and Academy Class Information

Melee-Magthere (Fighter types): Between age 17-23, you will be new Academy students, just beginning your training.

Sorcere (Wizard types): Between age 40 - 65, you will be in your 2nd decade of training, having ten more years to go.

Arach-Tinilith (Clerics): Between age 75 - 80, you will be in your 4th decade of training, also having only ten more years to go.

*Note: This places all students in this game on pace to graduate at the same time.  Remember it is the social structure of elven societies that "holds" back their social and sometimes their mental development, physically they develop like humans.  Elves just don't age like humans once they reach physical adulthood, time just doesn't affect them as it does humans.  However, because of this they often tend to take things at a slower pace and not rush like humans, which is why for the most part humans or other races don't see elves outside their own homes that haven't lived for at least almost an entire century.

Ghostwheel

Would be interested, though if you're willing to be swayed, I'd like Pathfinder personally. Been wanting to try out Path of War if that's cool.

Countdown0

Very interested.

Would our characters just be doing a kind of a "day in the life of a Drow" sort of thing, or would we be dispatched on grand adventures to, say, steal from Gray Dwarves, or raid surface Elf villages?
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Siereis

I think Countdown posted the very best question (see post directly above) and I am interested as well.

Another question though:

How do you see sexual content being RPed in this setting?

sleepingferret

Quote from: Ghostwheel on March 26, 2014, 06:43:26 PM
Would be interested, though if you're willing to be swayed, I'd like Pathfinder personally. Been wanting to try out Path of War if that's cool.

I have been looking more into Pathfinder lately and while I do own several PDFs.  I've run some basic scenarios and created a few characters, and even by allowing a mix of 3.5 and Pathfinder content (which can create more headaches than its worth), I've decided that 3.5 would be a better base for this.  Especially with the generalized optional content I typically allow to be used.

Quote from: Countdown0 on March 26, 2014, 06:51:23 PM
Very interested.

Would our characters just be doing a kind of a "day in the life of a Drow" sort of thing, or would we be dispatched on grand adventures to, say, steal from Gray Dwarves, or raid surface Elf villages?

As students of the Academy, while it may start as a "day in the life of a Drow", as you will be starting as I had in mind that everyone would be starting as 1st year students.  However, keep in mind that as a drow that doesn't mean you'll be starting off necessarily at level 1.  Your House Weapon Master, priestesses, or wizards would have taught you some of the basics before you left for the Academy, so you'll be starting at level 2 or 3.

But yes, you'll be dispatched to steal from enemies of the drow or to slay surface elves and such, as part of your "education".

Quote from: Siereis on March 26, 2014, 07:00:49 PM
I think Countdown posted the very best question (see post directly above) and I am interested as well.

Another question though:

How do you see sexual content being RPed in this setting?

Any sexual content that happens throughout the story will be strictly up to the participants.  Aside how any "open" elements get played out, such as the "orgy" at graduation; such events and how they get played out will be discussed amongst the group.  If it is decided that we end up just writing it up as basically what would be considered a PG-13 "novel" scene, then that's how such scenes will get played out.  Or if such events get played out to a more descriptive extent, then so be it.

More private scenes between players can be played that do not affect the rest of the game/story or other players are free to be played as such.  And a simple public statement or two that would cover any private RP scenes, that covers what said characters are doing would be fine.  Now, if said characters are just lying by a lake and any event interrupts them...then the "game" changes and now things have to be played out, and the characters have to play things out from there.

RubySlippers

Do we have to worship Lolth or can we worship a subordinate deity?

I'm interested never played a Drow but read some novels with them in.

Countdown0

Sounds awesome so far. I'm currently planning on playing a Wizard.

So, are we going with the standard +2 Level Adjustment and various racials for Drow, or are you wanting to do a less powerful variant on them?

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Ghostwheel

The lesser drow (bottom of the page) might be an option if we don't want to take the LA.

Blinkin

color me interested. My experience with 3.5 is very limited, but I've rarely gotten the chance to play an evil character... well, evil is such a nasty word, lets call it mischievous instead. ;)

No idea what I would play, I suppose that level and so on would have a significant bearing on that.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

sleepingferret

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 26, 2014, 11:24:19 PM
Do we have to worship Lolth or can we worship a subordinate deity?

I'm interested never played a Drow but read some novels with them in.

Subordinate deities are fine.  Though anything not aligned with Lolth, will probably attract her wrath, though a few Houses managed to "get" away with it...by hiding their insubordination.

Quote from: Countdown0 on March 26, 2014, 11:46:22 PM
Sounds awesome so far. I'm currently planning on playing a Wizard.

So, are we going with the standard +2 Level Adjustment and various racials for Drow, or are you wanting to do a less powerful variant on them?

I've personally disliked both rules to be honest.  And since everyone is going to be a drow... I'm throwing them out for this game.  While you should still note your level adjustment and "note" your ECL just in case you need or want the information for later uses.  And while I have my NPCs written up with ECLs noted and considered, level adjustments and ECLs will not be affecting game play.  Your actual class levels will be, since everyone is a drow, and therefore on equal footing to begin with, I will be considering said fact and be taking that into account.

Quote from: Blinkin on March 27, 2014, 08:39:54 AM
color me interested. My experience with 3.5 is very limited, but I've rarely gotten the chance to play an evil character... well, evil is such a nasty word, lets call it mischievous instead. ;)

No idea what I would play, I suppose that level and so on would have a significant bearing on that.

There were some...keyword some...ok more like a rare few that were neutral, within the city.  Most were basically on the edge of insanity... but they were still "neutral".

Starting level hasn't been set in stone and I will be discussing that with my Co-GM.

Ghostwheel

Blinkin

I'll probably move toward the neutral side of evil just to give the character room to move in what he does. Mainly that if he wants to do something "good" it won't be out of the realm of being acceptible since he'll just expect... and get if it kills the one who owes him, something "good" in return.

I'm definently going to go for a mellee type as there are few, if any male clerics and I've never cared for wizards to begin with.

Good to know that level adjustments won't be used, they confuse me to begin with. ;) but, the question, what house to be from... not one of the big 8, but not too far down the line... there must be a listing of houses someplace...
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Foxy DeVille

Color me interested!

One question... will psionics be allowed, like if someone wanted to be from House Oblodra?

EDIT: I lied! Another question! So will all the PCs be students or teachers? Or could a character be a slave?

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

Quote from: Muse on March 27, 2014, 01:31:35 PM
Good afternoon.  i'd be interested.

You following me around again Muse? ;)

Are you still in Shadows of the Sword Coast, or did you drop from that one? Could use the big guy there. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Countdown0

Hey Blinkin, here is a list of the top houses in Menzoberranzan at the time this RP will begin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menzoberranzan

Obviously, house DeVir is already gone, since this game starts in 1300 DR right now, so you can just move every house below them up a rank.

You bring up a good question though. sleepingferret, will we be allowed to create characters from any house we like, or are there limits? Obviously, it wouldn't make sense for there to be 4 male PCs created, all born to the Matron Mother of the same house, since the 3rd and 4th born would both be sacrificed.

And that brings up another question. Are we allowed to create characters that are part of the ruling family of whatever house we are part of? I'm assuming that we are all going to be part of some noble house or another, since the Academy seems like it wouldn't be welcoming to commoners unless they were slaves... or target practice.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

RubySlippers

Countdown0

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 27, 2014, 04:36:08 PM
So which of the three places at the Academy trains Rogues?

Probably Melee-Magthere, the same place that trains the warrior types.

Most Drow fighters types will get a sneak attack from some kind of rogue skill. They are very much about subterfuge and fighting dirty.

Also, assuming your character is from a noble house, they will have gotten some training prior, likely in combat techniques, which to drow, include fighting dirty and backstabbery and such.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

RubySlippers

Okay I'll play a LG Rogue of a good elven deity from the surface.  O:)

Just kidding I do not want to be sacrificed to Lolth on her dark altar.

I'm thinking a NE Fighter 2/Rogue 1 not sure about her true patron deity I'm thinking Vhaeraun and follows that dogma that males and females are equal and other things but she will pay Lip Service to Lolth.  ;D

Blinkin

Thanks for the list of famlies. I appreciate it.

Hassomeone said that the characters are starting at 3rd level? It would be nice to know, but I didn't think anyone had set out generation rules yet.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ghostwheel

Personally, I'm leaning towards a medium fighter type who fights "smart" as well as hard (gonna have a good Int if all goes well ;D)

Countdown0

I'll probably be going for a wizard. Not sure if I want to be a battlefield controller, or a blaster... so many choices...

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Ghostwheel

You could always do a spider-based one ;D

There's an arachnomancer PrC put out by WotC that gives you the ability to turn into a gargantuan spider, a domain (extra spell per level and domain power) and extra movement/sensory modes (spider climb, webwalking, tremorsense).

Lolth would approve.

sleepingferret

Ok the quick and generally easy stuff first.

1.  Since I believe I saw someone ask.  Yes rogues would be sent to Melee-Magthere, as for all intents and purposes they are combat oriented.  Their "rogue" skills would have to developed "on the side", or in more shall we say "selective" classes.  Meaning that the masters of the Academy would take note that say RubySlippers character entered the Academy, but showed potential as a more roguish type, so they would put the character in appropriate courses.

2.  Psionics.  First and foremost, please remember, this is the Forgotten Realms.  So while psionics have a different mechanic per-say, they are still subject to ALL the same rules as magic,  meaning spell resistance affects them FULLY.  Unlike other worlds there is no separate power resistance and spell resistance mechanics, the two are one and the same.  See page 172 Forgotten Realms - Player Guide to Faerun for those of you who have it for more specific details.

There isn't a "school" for psionicists within the Academy, as the Forgotten Realms itself as well as Menzoberran is magic based.  Foxy Oni did mention the one and only House in the City of Spiders with psionic talent, House Oblodra.

3.  Countdown0 mentioned the downfall, death, destruction of House DeVir...not that it is that big of an impact...but no on may create a character from said House.  The House has been destroyed for 3 years for our intents.  If I do remember correctly off the top of my head, I believe Alton DeVir is the only survivor, and he's currently hiding at the Academy, as the Faceless One.

4.  The student and master question:  We will mostly student roles.  However, a few master roles will also be needed.  And as I believe as I've mentioned before, as this is a "pre-made" setting, I will be posting up some characters that were Masters of the Academy or even perhaps just important figureheads of the city that would have impact our story (aka Matron Mothers of the Houses of the students' characters or even just the High Priestesses, etc., etc.). 

5.  Since I have not gotten any other Co-GM interest, I do believe Ghostwheel will be serving as our Co-GM.

Ok since it seems we have a fair amount of interest, I do have a few RL things to take care of tonight.  But I will at least get a few inquiries over to Ghostwheel for him to think over.  And I will be posting character creation rules and such over the weekend, once any questions I would like to be discussed with Ghostwheel taken care of.

For now, just so you do have some food for thought... I do have a few rules for now:

1.  Female characters - MUST be primarily clerics.  If you want to be a female character that is going to be primarily anything other than a cleric, you must PM me to discuss your concept.  This is Menzoberranzan, and l'd say maybe 1% or even less of all females were primarily NOT clerics.

2.  The City of Spiders has it's nickname for a reason.  All characters must be Lolth worshipers or risk potentially incurring the wrath of the ruling eight, let alone the Spider Queen herself.  While worship of Vhaeraun or other drow gods/goddesses is possible, said worship must be kept hidden.

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 27, 2014, 06:38:49 PM

I'm thinking Vhaeraun and follows that dogma that males and females are equal and other things but she will pay Lip Service to Lolth.  ;D

RubySlippers' statement says it best... better pay the darling Lolth lip service...unless you do want to be sacrificed.

3.  Going back to the psionics issue.  I have no real ruling against them.  However, remember only the one House in all of the city was known to really have any association with them.  And for all intents and purposes they would be your only "teachers".  Yet by tradition and as well as pretty much city law, you would be sent to the Academy.  Your "learning" however would be more like our modern day reference to "sleeping in class", unless you chose to multi-class.  Your psionic growth would be more innate or done by learning for more powerful psionicists which only your house would have.

Countdown0

I think I'll stay away from the Arachnomancer, Ghostwheel.  While I do have the Drow of the Underdark book for 3.5, and I've been reading it since this thread came up, I feel like its a step down from just straight Wizard >.<

Also, my character is going to be male, so he wont feel the same love for Lolth that a female character would. He still legitimately worships her, as much as any male Drow can. He just isn't more fond of spiders than he is, say, Dire Tigers.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's