Fun Academic Articles and Findings

Started by Sain, December 19, 2017, 04:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Terego

Sain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfb6aEUMC04

Looks like open AI has finally almost completely eclipsed human level skill in Dota2.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Argyros

Quote from: Sain on May 18, 2019, 11:07:55 AM

Looks like open AI has finally almost completely eclipsed human level skill in Dota2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFMRDm_H9Sg

Reminiscent of the AlphaStar (AI) Bot from Deep Mind. Damn computers, you scary! [Article]
< Status: Gone >

Sain

They are crazy. Can't wait to see what we have next year!

Al Terego

Argyros

A new research study has discovered that computers can be just as good, if not better, than doctors at detecting lung cancer based on CT imaging scans. The AI was 94% accurate in screening for lung cancer on 6,716 CT scans, and exhibited fewer false positives and false negatives compared to a team of professional radiologists. While the technology is a work in progress and not ready for public use, it does offer a glimpse into the future of artificial intelligence in medicine. [Article] [Publication]

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on May 20, 2019, 07:48:53 PM
A new research study has discovered that computers can be just as good, if not better, than doctors at detecting lung cancer based on CT imaging scans. The AI was 94% accurate in screening for lung cancer on 6,716 CT scans, and exhibited fewer false positives and false negatives compared to a team of professional radiologists. While the technology is a work in progress and not ready for public use, it does offer a glimpse into the future of artificial intelligence in medicine. [Article] [Publication]

These are awesome. I'm involved in some diagnostics development myself and it's been awesome to watch what AI can do with images. We have skin cancer, and now radiological data analysed by them? Can't wait to see them integrated into typical lab testing with ELISA and immunoblotting as well. I have no doubt they'll far surpass doctors in near future given that we have massive databanks to train them with. Now if only we had decent lobbyists advocating for the assisted diagnostics to get approved or endorsed by CDC, EDC, and other organizations  ::) Buuuut my guess is the doctors lobbying to keep absolute control and authority have richer lobbyists and some folk are gonna have to fight hard to deliver this stuff to us patients. Same thing with rapid diagnostics and self testing in general.

Argyros

Quote from: Sain on May 21, 2019, 04:22:34 AM
Now if only we had decent lobbyists advocating for the assisted diagnostics to get approved or endorsed by CDC, EDC, and other organizations  ::)

<insert lobbyist satire here>

Argyros

Chemical engineers at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario have discovered how to preserve vaccines without refrigeration. The live virus vaccine (LVV) was desiccated with a sugar solution, which could then be stored at 40ºC (104ºF) for months without negative effects on its efficacy. This scientific discovery is particularly impressive as current vaccines are extremely fragile, requiring a specific temperature range (2–8ºC) to retain its effectiveness, which only lasts for a few days. [Article] [Publication]

Argyros

Scientists from the University of Toronto have developed a new electrochemical pathway to transform atmospheric CO2 into commercial products such as fuel and plastics. This emergent direct-air carbon capture technology achieves a no-waste manufacturing process, with a 100% carbon utilization rate. [Article] [Publication]

Argyros

Calling all armour fans! Researchers from North Carolina State University (NCSU) have created a composite metal foam (CMF) that stops .50 caliber ball and armor-piercing (AP) rounds as effectively as steel armour, at less than half the weight. In addition, the CMF is fire- and heat-resistant and very effective at shielding various types of radiation, including X-rays, gamma rays and neutrons. This could be technology straight out of a science fiction novel! [Article] [Publication]

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on June 06, 2019, 10:39:12 PM
Calling all armour fans! Researchers from North Carolina State University (NCSU) have created a composite metal foam (CMF) that stops .50 caliber ball and armor-piercing (AP) rounds as effectively as steel armour, at less than half the weight. In addition, the CMF is fire- and heat-resistant and very effective at shielding various types of radiation, including X-rays, gamma rays and neutrons. This could be technology straight out of a science fiction novel! [Article] [Publication]

Very cool. Need to take a looksie and steal their terminology for more believable scifi. Sounds like it could make good space ship armor.

Argyros

UMBC Postdoctoral fellow Sarah Stellwagen and Rebecca Renberg at the Army Research Lab in Maryland have published the first ever complete sequences of genes that allow spiders to produce glue — a sticky, modified version of spider silk. This unique innovation could pave the way for scientists in manufacturing biomaterials for medical purposes [Article] [Publication]

Al Terego

So, if I use CRISPR to splice that gene sequence into my DNA, and wear red-and-blue spandex and a mask, I could make out with Mary-Jane Watson?

Argyros

Scientists from UBC have discovered an enzymatic pathway in the human gut microbiome that can convert¹ Type A blood to Type O blood, the universal donor standard, by removing its defining antigens. The potential use for this discovery is huge, considering how much blood is required by hospitals on a daily basis for emergency surgeries, scheduled operations, and routine transfusions. [Article] [Publication]

¹ – With the same rhesus factor (Rh).

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on June 11, 2019, 06:23:45 PM
Scientists from UBC have discovered an enzymatic pathway in the human gut microbiome that can convert¹ Type A blood to Type O blood, the universal donor standard, by removing its defining antigens. The potential use for this discovery is huge, considering how much blood is required by hospitals on a daily basis for emergency surgeries, scheduled operations, and routine transfusions. [Article] [Publication]

¹ – With the same rhesus factor (Rh).

What the heck, that sounds too good and awesome in everyway, will need to read the article later :o

e. Looked neat. I hope they can scale this up to production as soon as possible. I bet funding isn't gonna be an issue.

Sain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJq6ygTWdao

This is just crazy good. Combine this with some of the modern speech synthetically and it's already impossible for an average human to tell fake inverview footage from neural network edited one.

Argyros

Quote from: Sain on June 15, 2019, 03:10:34 PM

This is just crazy good. Combine this with some of the modern speech synthetically and it's already impossible for an average human to tell fake interview footage from a neural network edited one.

Seeing is believing.

Argyros

Stressed? Researchers from the University of Colorado are currently working on a "stress vaccine" derived from Mycobacterium vaccae, a soil-borne bacterium. When laboratory mice were injected with the serum prior to a stressful event, it prevented a symptom similar to PTSD, which diminished stress reactions. Going a step further, the team was also able to identify, isolate and synthesize the lipid responsible for these effects. [Article] [Publication]

Oniya

Quote from: Argyros on June 16, 2019, 05:51:42 PM
Stressed? Researchers from the University of Colorado are currently working on a "stress vaccine" derived from Mycobacterium vaccae, a soil-borne bacterium. When laboratory mice were injected with the serum prior to a stressful event, it prevented a symptom similar to PTSD, which diminished stress reactions. Going a step further, the team was also able to identify, isolate and synthesize the lipid responsible for these effects. [Article] [Publication]

Soil-borne...  I wonder if this might be yet another reason that things like gardening and 'forest bathing' are useful ways of dealing with stress.  (The whole 'relaxing and being in quiet, calm environments' thing doesn't hurt either, of course.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Argyros

Quote from: Oniya on June 16, 2019, 05:59:19 PM
Soil-borne...  I wonder if this might be yet another reason that things like gardening and 'forest bathing' are useful ways of dealing with stress.  (The whole 'relaxing and being in quiet, calm environments' thing doesn't hurt either, of course.)

I agree. I may be biased on this conjecture due to prior research, but the effects of nature on human health and well-being have been scientifically proven in studies the world over. [1] [2] [3] [4] I wouldn't be surprised if a soil-borne microorganism such as Mycobacterium vaccae was a contributing factor to reduced stress responses in humans, in addition to the ones you have mentioned.

Further to the original study, inactivated vaccines of M. vaccae have been previously utilized as immunotherapy for allergic asthma, cancer, depression, leprosy, psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and tuberculosis. Interestingly, while M. vaccae is nonpathogenic, its cousin M. tuberculosis is highly pathogenic and, as the name suggests, is responsible for causing tuberculosis.

Quote from: WikipediaNumerous trials have indicated that exposure to oral and injectable products derived from M. vaccae bacteria can have positive effects in treating tuberculosis. Although a 2002 review of selected clinical trials failed to find any consistent benefit of certain dosage regimens of injectable Mycobacterium products in people with tuberculosis,[6] a more recent meta-analysis of 54 clinical studies of M. vaccae products for tuberculosis showed treatment resulted in improved sputum conversion and radiological (X-ray) assessment.[7]

Sain

Sain

Sain

RedRose

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]