Suggestion: Non-specific searching.

Started by Nachtmahr, March 01, 2015, 12:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nachtmahr

Hi again! I've been quite active in this particular section of the forum as of late. x)

A little background knowledge: I was having a chat with someone over PM's and we sort of got talking (Read: Moaning and whining) about how hard it can sometimes be to find a partner with similar interests to your own. We have the O/O-pages to look through, but sometimes those just don't quite cut it, you know? So, we were talking, and then I came up with a bit of an idea.

Most people will list the most common kinks on their O/O's, but some kinks are either so specific, so rare, or so odd that you might never think to put it on there. If I had to list every single thing that turned me on, the list would go on for miles I think. You know how it goes: 'A graphic description of someone eating a phallic fruit, possibly a banana.' - That's the kind of kink you might want to play around with at some point, but not one you might want to list on your O/O's simply because.. It's so specific, so why would you bother, right? Instead you might just put down 'Oral' in one place, and 'Objects/Toys' in another and vaguely describe what you think counts as a toy or sexual object.

The search-feature on the site also isn't an awful lot of help if you're trying to track down other people with the particular set of kinks you might be looking for. Allow me to name a kink that I at least find to be quite rare: Bestiality. Finding a partner for a story with this in it can sometimes be neigh on impossible.

Another issue is the way we currently look for partners for stories - Usually it involves you writing down a description of what you're looking for and then simply just waiting and hoping that someone's going to bite. What happens then is that you might have been looking for a very specific thing to be emphasized in this story, but when someone reads through it, they might not realize, etc. It's sort of tricky to explain, but some things are often lost between someone reading a description of an idea, and them contacting you about it.

And sometimes, you don't really have an idea. Sometimes you just really want to find someone with similar interests and then just have a friendly chat about it and see what happens - Be it a great story or simply you finding a new friend to write with.

So, here's my idea: Could we not have a sub-forum in the 'Roleplays wanted' where you could place an ad similar to how you do in the threads we currently have, but where you can basically go 'Hi, I'm looking for a person with an interest in A and B for some brainstorming'? You could either start a topic about how you're looking for this one extremely specific thing, or how you're looking for someone with an interest in a particular kink. Just a place to look for people when you have a craving for a particular kink or event, but no story to go with it yet.

Another benefit to this, apart from making it easier to search for partners for non-specific ideas/stories is that it would help take a bit of a load off of the 'Roleplays wanted'-forums as they are now. It separating the very specific plots from the more non-specific 'How about..' stuff might make it a little easier to get spotted in either. I personally only look for ideas these days rather than post my own because it feels a little hopeless. Your topic quickly gets buried beneath bumps and other new topics, etc.

This is probably a pretty rough description of my idea, but if need be and anyone higher up the ladder approves of it I'd be happy to discuss it in private over PM. If not, I may be able to provide further enlightenment here.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

Rogue

I don't see why you can't put this in "Roleplays wanted", but that's just me.

Nachtmahr

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on March 01, 2015, 01:15:47 PM
I don't see why you can't put this in "Roleplays wanted", but that's just me.

I'm.. Not sure what you're referring to exactly.

My point is that "Roleplays wanted" is already a very high-pressure thread where something you posted might get knocked off in a day, and a lot of people go there specifically expecting to find paragraphs worth of information about something specific. I for one would feel very strange about going there to post a topic saying 'I'd just like to have a chat about [thing] with someone.' and justifying it pushing someone's elaborate and detailed thread off the front page.

Of course, my sensitivities isn't the point of this, what I'm suggestion is to basically have somewhere to place a glorified 'I'd like to meet someone with an interest in..'-ad. Think of it as 'Info-dating' if you will. A way to get in touch with people with similar interests in a nice and discrete fashion for a conversation that isn't grounded in the whole 'We need to start an RP at the end of this'-thing.

jouzinka

If discussion is your goal, then perhaps On Topic would be the right place? There have been quite a few "What the kink" topics in the past... ?
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Nachtmahr

Quote from: jouzinka on March 01, 2015, 03:47:57 PM
If discussion is your goal, then perhaps On Topic would be the right place? There have been quite a few "What the kink" topics in the past... ?

Well, no.

It's not quite like that - It's more a way to put up an ad looking for people who share the same interest(s) as you, not just discussion. It's hard to explain, and I don't know that I can do a better job of clarifying than I already have. What I'm suggesting is a way to look for like-minded partners but without having something to do. No plot or anything, just literally a place where you can put up and ad like: 'Looking for someone interested in [kink].' and then someone interested in that kink might contact you based on nothing else.

Oniya

It does sound like an interesting idea - I know I have a couple of unusual kinks that are difficult to find people to even chit-chat about. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nachtmahr

Yes! That's pretty much the kind of thing I'm going for: A search thread that isn't based on roleplays per say, but rather it's based on the idea of finding people who share your interests to talk to.

A forum like 'Roleplays wanted' where you can go and post a kink/kinks you're interested in at the moment, and then find someone to brainstorm with.

Verasaille

I looked at the title and thought immediately of this thread. You might be surprised what is discussed or put forward here. I think it might help you to get a general discussion going. Or maybe you could start a thread like you were thinking about in this section?

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=152091.0;topicseen
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.