Fantasy World Building Help

Started by persephone325, April 04, 2014, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

I've been working on a fantasy world for quite some time. I hope to turn it into a game. But I need a layout of the world. I'm looking for some sort of map generator. Are there any good ones that you guys can recommend?
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Oniya

This one looks like it's got a lot of possibilities:  http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/world/
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

consortium11

You may also want to check out the Cartographer's Guild, which is pretty much the place to go for fantasy cartography. Some of the stuff may be a little too in-depth for your needs (although you can always enjoy the pretty pictures) but they also have an excellent supply of resources and tutorials.

SheerFantasia

I know it might not be what you requested, but rarely use random maps since they don't really give me what I want.  I could design one for you if I get a few details.  You can see my style drawing maps here and here (they're basic, but I usually put more detail in the finished thing).  Just a suggestion in case random map generators aren't providing what you want!

Best Regards

Rogue

To be honest you might get more of what you want with photo shop depending on how big you want the map to be. I may or may not have taken a screen shot of china on google maps, erased Japan and moved around some of Malaysia to get the effect I wanted for my world.... >.>

Oberon

I used a program called Ortelius to do the map for this story:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=195338.0

It only runs on a Mac though and requires some learning to get started. It's very good at doing more modern looking maps, I haven't tried a medieval type map yet.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.
It is the source of all true art and science.
A. Einstein

Myrleena

Personally, I have been writing adventures for publications, so I purchased a copy of Campaign Cartographer 3. If you want a free one, and don't want as much detail, Hexographer is pretty decent for basic world design.

persephone325

That's a fair few possibilities! Thank you guys for the suggestions. ^^ I do appreciate the help. :-)
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."