Gauging Interest -- Monsterhearts

Started by Raveled, February 19, 2015, 07:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raveled

So I recently picked up a lovely little RPG called Monsterhearts. It's been making quite the splash in the indie scene recently, and frankly I think it's kind of fantastic. It's powered by the Apocalypse World system, and it is meant to mimic shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, True Blood, and Teen Wolf; the teen supernatural romance genre, in other worlds. In Monsterhearts, players take the role of classic monsters who embody the darkest aspects of growing up. Vampires, Werewolves, Fae, Ghouls, and codependent Mortals, oh my.

Monsterhearts can be played for melodrama and laughs, but it can touch on some serious themes. The mechanics push you towards interparty conflict, and sex is nearly a required part of the game; topics such as sexual orientation and identity, drug use and abuse, emotional use and abuse, sex, death, and rock-and-roll. Monsterhearts requires a deal more maturity from its players, but it has the opportunity to be a very powerful forum for exploring powerful topics.

Don't be afraid to play if you don't own the core rulebook; the rules for 'Skins,' the player archetypes (the closest things to classes the game has) are free to download, and the basic move set is easy to describe and learn. If you're interested, I suggest you also take a look at Safe Hearts, an essay concerning how to safely approach and cover sensitive topics, both within Monsterhearts and games in general.

Oh, one last thing to keep in mind, concerning how Elliquiy handles sexuality: you cannot choose your character's sexuality beforehand. Seduction is a die roll, and if you fail to resist the attempt your character will be sexually excited. It's not something that you, the player, have control over; much like real teeangers, sometimes your body is going to do things that confuse and even scare you. That does not mean that you have to jump straight into bed, however. There's usually ways to avoid a sexual encounter if your character doesn't want one, but you can't choose to just not be attracted to someone.
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

Angie

Oh dude, I plunked down the cash for this thing a while back, i could just straight port Veronica the Witch over, I am TOTALLY in for this!
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Cold Heritage

I'm interested in playing Monsterhearts. I own it; I don't have much in the way of actual play experience, though.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Raveled

Well two is technically enough to play the game, but I'm going to leave this up for a week or so to see if we can get anymore interest.
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

eternaldarkness