Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L. James

Started by Damnedangel, April 22, 2012, 09:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shjade

Quote from: Oniya on June 20, 2012, 02:05:59 PM
Gives 'You've Got a Friend In Me' a whole new meaning.

I think you mean, "You've Got a Friend in Me There"
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Star Safyre

Oo!  You guys!  I found another sporking!  This one has already finished FSoG and is already onto poking through the sequel!

http://steamingpileoflit.tumblr.com/archive

On a side note, I'm starting to wonder if it's bad that I enjoy picking apart bad fiction almost as much as I enjoy reading good stuff...
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Emmaline

http://dearauthor.com/features/industry-news/master-of-the-universe-versus-fifty-shades-by-e-l-james-comparison/

I read that before I ever picked up the book. Friends keep trying to encourage me to read it, but honestly, I just cannot read something that started as FANFIC of another Author's work, and then had the names changed (and very little else) to be published.

Honestly, when did the publishing industry become so bloody desperate for author's to publish?

Shjade

It occurs to me that thinking of Fifty Shades as Twilight fanfiction puts something of a different spin on the menstrual moment scene. And not in a good way. >.>
◕/◕'s

Oniya

I've read some pretty good fanfic.  I've read some rather crappy fanfic.  I've read good fanfic of good source, and bad fanfic of good source.  I haven't read good fanfic of bad source, but if it's out there, I'd be willing to give it a shot.  50SOG seems to fall into the 'bad fanfic of bad source' category for most people, and that's where you can't pay me even to beta.

Seriously, though, if the publishing industry is that desperate, I can dust off the Monster and ship it to them.

Quote from: Shjade on June 25, 2012, 02:50:24 PM
It occurs to me that thinking of Fifty Shades as Twilight fanfiction puts something of a different spin on the menstrual moment scene. And not in a good way. >.>

Okay, that just squicked me - and that's pretty hard to do.  I tip my hat to you, Shjade.  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Star Safyre

Squicked forever.

Emmaline

I totally understand that fanfic can be some pretty amazing writing. And I also get that there are probably no completely original ideas out there. But to me fanfic is NOT meant for publication, and definitely should not be something that publishers of major publishing houses should be wading through looking for things to publish. It really bothers me.

And ..

Just. Eww. *facepalms*

Oniya

I suspect that James did the filing-off-of-serial-numbers before submitting it to a publishing house, rather than someone from the publisher stumbling across it and saying 'Gee, if we just change the names, it'll sell like hotcakes!'  James might've also gone the self-pub route, and done well enough by word of mouth for a big house to notice.  There was a vicar I heard of who tapped in on the whole Harry Potter craze with a self-pub that got picked up by Penguin Press.  That one wasn't badly written, just a little 'late C.S. Lewis' for me.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Shjade

Three squicks and a tip of the hat from one observation. I do believe I am the winnar.

You may now reward me with delicious foods.
◕/◕'s

Antioch

So Just recently finished book three and can honestly say number one trilogy in my favorites list. Ok close tie for first with the black jewels trilogy.

Envious

I started reading this after it was recommended, and I find it (so far) to be thoroughly disappointing. I was told it gets better, so I'll be fastforwarding to the sexy bits when I next have time to sit down and read.

The sporkings link thing was super-fab.

Remy

Will

Quote from: Remy on July 10, 2012, 04:35:13 PM
SNL skit.  Just had to post. :-)

SNL 50 Shades of Grey skit

That was pretty damn funny. XD

It kinda baffles me, though, that so many people consider 50 Shades of Grey to be "hot."  Their standards must be impossibly low.  Some of the stuff I've read on Elliquiy would probably make their heads explode!
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

These are the same people who bought Fabio's book, most likely.

Chris Brady

People are easily swayed by celebrity opinions.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Will

Or they're horribly repressed and have a low tolerance for any sort of erotica.  I would imagine it's a little of both.

- Jack Kerouac

Chris Brady

Pretty much yeah.  Some celebs fall under that category too.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Iniquitous

I would say that the reason it is considered so "hot" and "good" is truly because there are celebs out there saying it is. Most people are sheep and will follow the word of a famous person over forming their own opinion.

That and they have dismal sex lives so that what E.L. James wrote seems 'omg hot!'... which still baffles me that someone would think that since I found the sex in the books to be ridiculously boring.

Still, the woman will be filthy rich soon since it is official that they are adapting the books for the big screen. Ironic that a movie is being made out of a book that is a fanfiction of another book. *shakes her head*
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on July 10, 2012, 09:41:54 PM
I would say that the reason it is considered so "hot" and "good" is truly because there are celebs out there saying it is. Most people are sheep and will follow the word of a famous person over forming their own opinion.

That and they have dismal sex lives so that what E.L. James wrote seems 'omg hot!'... which still baffles me that someone would think that since I found the sex in the books to be ridiculously boring.

Still, the woman will be filthy rich soon since it is official that they are adapting the books for the big screen. Ironic that a movie is being made out of a book that is a fanfiction of another book. *shakes her head*

Yup filthy rich off of someone else's idea...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Will

I'm right there with Professor Farnsworth.

- Jack Kerouac

Shjade

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on July 10, 2012, 09:41:54 PM
See Oprah for details.
◕/◕'s

Silverfyre

Also, I am starting to believe that most people are really, really vanilla and despite being in an digital age that is saturated in sex and violence, they just don't think about it as much or consider it daily like some of us do.  Such a book series that is suddenly "mainstreamed" shocks them because it is not something that they think about consciously on a daily basis or something.  "Shocking the mundanes" as it may be called.

Chris Brady

Well, yes, people are really vanilla.

How can I put this...  Um.  You know when you look at a tragedy (like an accident) and suddenly think 'Glad I'm not that guy!'  Or when you see something on TV or movie and wish you could do something that spectacular?  But when you walk away or turn off the idiot box and move on with your life, what you just saw or experienced no longer affects you and you simply 'move on' to the next thing?

That's how people are.  They live in the moment, no thought of what happens next.  We, roleplayers, gamers, artists, writers, do not work that way, this is why we stand out, why we're not like everyone else, we continue to live, to care, to watch, to just DO.  So we get to experience more and it STICKS with us.

To everyone else, things happen, good or bad, to 'that guy', never to them, and so it never registers that THEY could be THAT guy.  Honestly, to your friends and family, you ARE 'that guy' to them.  Us imaginative types tend to figure that out at some point in our lives and decide HOW to be 'that guy'.

Hope people got that, it's 5:15AM over here, and my brains are leaking again...

Saerrael

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 11, 2012, 04:13:38 AM
Well, yes, people are really vanilla.

How can I put this...  Um.  You know when you look at a tragedy (like an accident) and suddenly think 'Glad I'm not that guy!'  Or when you see something on TV or movie and wish you could do something that spectacular?  But when you walk away or turn off the idiot box and move on with your life, what you just saw or experienced no longer affects you and you simply 'move on' to the next thing?

That's how people are.  They live in the moment, no thought of what happens next.  We, roleplayers, gamers, artists, writers, do not work that way, this is why we stand out, why we're not like everyone else, we continue to live, to care, to watch, to just DO.  So we get to experience more and it STICKS with us.

To everyone else, things happen, good or bad, to 'that guy', never to them, and so it never registers that THEY could be THAT guy.  Honestly, to your friends and family, you ARE 'that guy' to them.  Us imaginative types tend to figure that out at some point in our lives and decide HOW to be 'that guy'.

Hope people got that, it's 5:15AM over here, and my brains are leaking again...

Made perfect sense to me, to be honest.

Star Safyre

New sporking is up!  Chapter Eight is up! It's... it's just so bad.  Anatomy fail, possessiveness, sexually ignorant sex champion, painful vanilla sexing... God, how do people actually enjoy this?  Have they seriously never read erotica before or do they just not care about characterization?