News:

Main Menu

Windows 8?

Started by CallMeCheesecake, January 13, 2013, 03:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CallMeCheesecake

So, my dad broke my old laptop, and thankfully I don't have to pay to get a new one, since my dad feels bad for busting up mine. He's getting me a custom made Windows 8. Touch screens kind of make me nervous and I don't particularly like working with new technology (what kind of 18 year old am I? I know, I know...) and I was wondering if anyone had a windows 8 laptop and could enlighten me with some tips or advice to working with it.
♥♡♥~ The F - List ~♥♡♥
3/12: Back from LOA; only accepting 2 stories.

MolotovXsugaR

I recently purchased a windows 8 laptop (dell) and I abhor the system. My last laptop had vista still and Microsoft has decided to turn everything into tiles. The touchscreen I don't use, finger prints aren't appealing to me. I do recommend turning off the automatic screen swipe if you use the touchpad and not a mouse. It can get a bit irritating when you're scrolling a webpage on your desktop browser and a misswipe takes you back to the tile screen. I can post a link on how to do that if it becomes a problem for you.

♥ It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything - Tyler Durden ♥

Caeli

Well, it depends on what you're getting... if you're getting the pseudo-tablets they're selling in the Windows stores, yes, it will be touchscreen. But there are also non-touchscreen versions of this OS.

I don't know what type of "custom made Windows 8" your dad is getting you, but I would simply recommend going to a Windows store (if there is one local to you), or even a Best Buy or another electronics retailer, and trying out the machines they have there to futz around with it. If you're at a Windows store, you have the added bonus of being able to ask people who are supposedly knowledgeable about the system for some tips about how best you can take advantage of the new OS.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

MolotovXsugaR

Quote from: Caeli on January 13, 2013, 04:13:52 PM
Well, it depends on what you're getting... if you're getting the pseudo-tablets they're selling in the Windows stores, yes, it will be touchscreen. But there are also non-touchscreen versions of this OS.

I don't know what type of "custom made Windows 8" your dad is getting you, but I would simply recommend going to a Windows store (if there is one local to you), or even a Best Buy or another electronics retailer, and trying out the machines they have there to futz around with it. If you're at a Windows store, you have the added bonus of being able to ask people who are supposedly knowledgeable about the system for some tips about how best you can take advantage of the new OS.

Made me lol. I've found more knowledgeable people working in the Walmart electronics department than in a specialized store before. ^ great advice though, play around with some of the laptops and see which features you like in the respective machines :)

Also in the event you are being driven crazy by that swipe feature

http://superuser.com/questions/494705/modify-or-disable-windows-8-swipe-gestures-on-touchpad-laptop

I'd bookmark the page in case you ever want to re-enable it.

♥ It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything - Tyler Durden ♥

Anteros Vox

I have it don't like it cause there is no start button. Other then that you get used to having to pin things onto your desktop.

Callie Del Noire

Sorry.. I try to avoid new OS installs for about 6 months after release. (Used to be JUST windows..but now it's all of them)

Chris Brady

Most local techs anecdotally called it the new "Windows Vista", which around here did not have a good reputation.  And like Callie, I avoid new OS until at least 6 months pass, minimum.  Windows I tend to stretch out for a year.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on January 15, 2013, 07:19:37 PM
Most local techs anecdotally called it the new "Windows Vista", which around here did not have a good reputation.  And like Callie, I avoid new OS until at least 6 months pass, minimum.  Windows I tend to stretch out for a year.

actually it's 6 months or first major patch for me. I have heard a bit more mixed reviews than outright hate like vista earned when it came out.
My first thought about the touch pane interface is a lot of folks don't like it. OSX Lion/Mountain Lion did it as a 'back page' thing and I think that is a better approach. The whole 'pane' set up isn't too hot in my opinion but I'm perfectly happy with my trackball and typing in commands in a terminal when needed.