News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Character creation help needed - 1969 job

Started by Beorning, March 18, 2013, 01:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

I'm working on a character concept for a RP - a female superhero. I have most of the concept worked out, but I could use some ideas for her job.

Specifically: she's a college student majoring in physics. She studies and lives in a big American city. The story takes place in 1969.

Any interesting ideas for a part-time job she could have? I know she could be a waitress, but that's not very original...

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Beorning on March 18, 2013, 01:13:15 PM
I'm working on a character concept for a RP - a female superhero. I have most of the concept worked out, but I could use some ideas for her job.

Specifically: she's a college student majoring in physics. She studies and lives in a big American city. The story takes place in 1969.

Any interesting ideas for a part-time job she could have? I know she could be a waitress, but that's not very original...

In a Frank Miller story she'd be a part-time prostitute or stripper (or both). I guess that's even less original... :)

Given her interests I'd say a part-time job as a tour guide at a planetarium or science museum would make sense.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Beorning

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on March 18, 2013, 02:11:58 PM
In a Frank Miller story she'd be a part-time prostitute or stripper (or both). I guess that's even less original... :)

Thankfully, me and my GM are trying to emulate Silver Age comics, not Frank Miller :)

Given her interests I'd say a part-time job as a tour guide at a planetarium or science museum would make sense.

Interesting! Would that work in 1969, though?

(not saying it wouldn't - I honestly don't know what kind of jobs American women held back then)

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Beorning on March 18, 2013, 02:16:02 PMInteresting! Would that work in 1969, though?

I think it should. Both planetariums and female tour guides were common enough by then.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Beguile's Mistress

You could call her a docent.

If you want something more pedestrian she could work as a keypunch operator.  It was the manual data entry type of job before modern computers.  Data was keyed into a machine that punched cards.  I remember having a bunch of them that I used as play money and tickets and stuff when I was a little kid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keypunch

Beorning

Hey! I had keypunch cards, too, back when I was a kid! As well as a 8'' floppy disc :)

Anyway, good idea, too. Thanks :)

Chris Brady

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on March 18, 2013, 02:11:58 PM

Slightly Off Topic:  Of all the things Mr. Miller regrets about his Batman: The Dark Knight Returns was turning the Catwoman into a brothel owner.

And that's the ONLY thing he's said about that.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Beorning

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 18, 2013, 03:05:27 PM
Slightly Off Topic:  Of all the things Mr. Miller regrets about his Batman: The Dark Knight Returns was turning the Catwoman into a brothel owner.

It was in DKR? I seem to have forgotten about it. Overall, I consider DKR to be a very impressive piece of work.

The sequel, Dark Knights Strikes Again, on the other hand...

Ephiral

Quote from: Beorning on March 18, 2013, 03:07:37 PM
It was in DKR? I seem to have forgotten about it. Overall, I consider DKR to be a very impressive piece of work.

Frank Miller has an incredible talent for writing amazing pieces of work that are very problematic.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Beorning on March 18, 2013, 03:07:37 PM

It was different, DKR was, especially during that time in the 80s, with the Watchmen coming out about a year after.  But I recall Miller mentioning that he regretted turning Selena Kyle into a Madam, and I remember that scene in the graphic novel, as that was the only one of his Batman stuff I picked up in 1998.  In fact, it's the only thing I remember from that year.

Sorry about the divergence.

Also, another suggestion, is 'Lab Assistant'.  She might have been smarter than any of the other scientists, there, but seeing as it was the late sixties and being a woman...

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Ephiral

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 18, 2013, 03:13:58 PM
Also, another suggestion, is 'Lab Assistant'.  She might have been smarter than any of the other scientists, there, but seeing as it was the late sixties and being a woman...
For that matter, being a woman in a physics track in the 60s is a great way to wind up getting involved in civil-rights organizations.

Beorning

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 18, 2013, 03:13:58 PM
Sorry about the divergence.

Oh, no problem. :)

But she's still a student. Would some kind of laboratory employ a student as an assistant?

Avis habilis

If she's working on her PhD, she's essentially slave labor in a full professor's lab, paid a small stipend.

Beorning

Quote from: Avis habilis on March 18, 2013, 03:22:11 PM
If she's working on her PhD, she's essentially slave labor in a full professor's lab, paid a small stipend.

No PhD yet. She's working toward her Master degree...

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Chris Brady

Actually, given the amount she'd be getting paid, she MIGHT have to supplement her income in some fashion as well.  She might be both a lab assistant AND a stripper.  :P

This E if sex somehow doesn't enter the question, we're doin' it wrong.

Chris Brady