The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

Okay, came across an article and it left me scratching my head. Apparently, according to the article regarding Batman vs Superman movie, Jesse Eisenberg isn't playing Lex Luthor. But, Lex Luthor, Jr. What?

According to another article, there is a possibility, Miles Morales will appear in the Spider-Man reboot with Tom Holland.

CaptainNexus616

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 07, 2015, 08:02:44 AM
DC......

Now, now, Marvel has their share of questionable stuff too. But yeah, that's weird. Isn't Lex's father Lionel? So this is a second-generation Lex that may or may not take after his own devious father? What's the point? I mean, it's not worth complaining about, it's just 100% unnecessary.

The Flash is now available on Netflix, it seems. I'm enjoying it more than Arrow so far, mostly because I dislike the flashbacks to Oliver's time on the island in that other show. If you ask me, the guy playing the Flash in it looks much more age-appropriate and face-profile-wise to play Peter Parker.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Deamonbane

So... did they say why they aren't merging the Batman v Superman to the already popular DC TV universe?
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

mia h

They want different shows to have different tones and be able to explore the things in different ways. Also there are practical problems when so many different TV networks and production companies involved. With MCU everything on the big screen goes through Marvel Productions and everything on TV goes through ABC. But with DC you've got Fox, CBS, CW, TNT & the Cartoon Network that need wrangling and that's just on TV.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on October 08, 2015, 04:53:31 AM
They want different shows to have different tones and be able to explore the things in different ways. Also there are practical problems when so many different TV networks and production companies involved. With MCU everything on the big screen goes through Marvel Productions and everything on TV goes through ABC. But with DC you've got Fox, CBS, CW, TNT & the Cartoon Network that need wrangling and that's just on TV.

Well also look how slow DC has been on the uptake; Marvel's got 12 MCU movies under their belt, and 3 TV shows going strong, and DC has...Man of Steel. They may be trying to duplicate Marvel's formula for success by making a similar announcement to Marvel's Phase 3 announcement of their 9-parter (not including Spider-Man's insertion which technically brings it up to 10 even if it's still under Sony's banner) but they haven't made nearly enough headway in establishing a cohesive universe to justify a TV show. Plus there's continuity to consider. The movies' continuity is of paramount importance, and the shows' is secondary. Since the shows have more continuity built up than any of the DC movie universes, they have to start from scratch and literally have only just begun (and even the movies' continuity is questionable based on what is being presented in BvS).
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

In other news involving technical developments for Daredevil, looks like Stick is confirmed for a guest appearance for Season 2. No word on Kingpin though which makes sense with Punisher and Elektra being there that would be too many big players for one season. Plus seems we will see plenty of Elektra as she is a regular cast member just like Punisher.  Also looks like the series creator is still on board but as an executive producer since the former ones were promoted to the new showrunners.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

CaptainNexus616

Mathim

Pretty cool what they did there with all the photographs (though none of them look like they are actual pictures of something, they're merely tailored to look like his profile when combined; maybe the finished product will fix that oversight.) So maybe there is some overarching mystery hanging over her head for this story arc instead of having a few different cases to solve like in Daredevil where first it was the bowling alley murder, then the housing takeover, then the four main leaders of the gang Fisk ran being chipped away at until there was just him left (and his accountant was bumped off too). Is she looking for the Purple Man for revenge or is it something else? Obviously she's haunted by him and what he put her through. Is he after her or is he just counting on her maybe finding her way back to him somehow? I like how because there's no way of knowing how closely it will follow the comics that it leaves so many questions, we don't know automatically what does happen with the story.

It kind of makes sense how Kilgrave could go undetected, but then it kind of doesn't. Anyone who comes after him is under his control so they can be influenced to see something completely different, so just identifying him could lead them on a wild goose chase depending on what he chooses to make them see. He can make them commit a massive slaughter or just kill themselves, putting his hunters in the hot seat. The only real way someone could take him down safely is by sniping or explosives but then you have the identity issue, not knowing for sure if you've got the right target and of course collateral damage in the latter case. Jones may be immune or partially immune to his influence after her experience so she alone might be the one who can actually identify him and take him down. But then how to keep him under control and locked up? Logistically impossible, really. I think she'll have to kill him.

Also, I wanted the end of Ant-Man to have Hank Pym also reveal plans for the Anthill, his prison that would shrink inmates and limit the storage space, supply requirements, and danger they present. That way even if they took Kilgrave alive, his threat would be minimal.

SapphireStar

They have released details for a sequel to Ant-Man. It will be Ant-Man and Wasp. Release date is set for 2018.

Wonder Woman details for the movie mentions the movie will take place over 3 time periods.

CaptainNexus616

The Anthill idea wouldn't make sense for the first film. Hank spent the entire first film trying to hide the Pym Particle tech. So to just decide to use it for government use would be very OOC for him. Maybe by the second film they'll try that idea.

As for wonder woman....any idea which three periods?

Mathim

Well there needs to be some reconciliation with SHIELD so this stuff can get off the ground, but I agree, the first film would have been too soon since even Wasp wasn't in it as a major character yet.

Oh, and this kind of blew my mind. They really pointed out a huge flaw in the movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Mwr1-dWJ4

TheGlyphstone

Maybe the tank wasn't fully fueled? If it was basically empty (entirely possible, if you can't shrink volatile liquids because {TECHNOBABBLE} ), the 'drive it out the wall and done' distance might have been it.

Hank's overly elaborate plan to secretly recruit Scott is only justified, on the other hand, by his obsessively layered security precautions to keep Cross from finding out he was plotting. And if Cross was surveilling Hank that closely, nothing else would have worked either.

Getting into the suit that fast is clearly explained. He's ANT-MAN.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 09, 2015, 07:58:25 PM
Maybe the tank wasn't fully fueled? If it was basically empty (entirely possible, if you can't shrink volatile liquids because {TECHNOBABBLE} ), the 'drive it out the wall and done' distance might have been it.

Hank's overly elaborate plan to secretly recruit Scott is only justified, on the other hand, by his obsessively layered security precautions to keep Cross from finding out he was plotting. And if Cross was surveilling Hank that closely, nothing else would have worked either.

Getting into the suit that fast is clearly explained. He's ANT-MAN.

I laughed my balls off when Batman shrunk himself and did his signature response to 'how did you do that' questions in that helium-like voice. That was so incredibly clever, I really love these guys' work. Can you imagine when they do one for Deadpool? I mean, a comedy about a sociopath who breaks the fourth wall getting a comedy version of its alternate ending? That's got to be legendary.

TheGlyphstone

Nah, truly legendary would be if they play it entirely straight and Deadpool refuses to break the fourth wall at all.

CaptainNexus616

I would laugh if they did the HISHE Deadpool like the old Daffy Duck cartoon were Bugs was drawing the cartoon and kept changing stuff on Daffy to troll him.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 10, 2015, 02:58:17 PM
I would laugh if they did the HISHE Deadpool like the old Daffy Duck cartoon were Bugs was drawing the cartoon and kept changing stuff on Daffy to troll him.

Or if that's what Deadpool did to Wolverine in that guy's next movie! I mean, there was that one movie Hulk Vs. Wolverine where Deadpool was all like, "Hey Wolverine, old buddy! I shot you!" You can just imagine him saying something similar after dropping an anvil on his head or something wacky like that.

CaptainNexus616

Ok Netflix has gained points in my book by adding Batman Begins. Sure I have it on DVD but it is one of my favorite movies of all time. Also found out that this movie is what inspired several other reboots and projects including the first Iron Man, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Star Trek, Sherlock Holmes (With RDJ) and others. Granted a lot of reboots were crap but there were some good ones like Planet of the Apes and the first Sherlock Holmes.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 12, 2015, 06:10:01 AM
Ok Netflix has gained points in my book by adding Batman Begins. Sure I have it on DVD but it is one of my favorite movies of all time. Also found out that this movie is what inspired several other reboots and projects including the first Iron Man, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Star Trek, Sherlock Holmes (With RDJ) and others. Granted a lot of reboots were crap but there were some good ones like Planet of the Apes and the first Sherlock Holmes.

I never heard anyone say that but it does make sense. WB hadn't been putting much out so basically Marvel was the only superhero movie brand my friends and I would be looking forward to before that. Granted they're still slower than molasses getting anything decent out but at least now they're on track. I guess that's the result of them having only one studio working on it, and why I'm semi-glad other studios do own some of Marvel's properties but they'll inevitably do some bad ones as a result. That being said, they ought to have started the DCCU either right after TDKR, or around the same time as Batman Begins just to show fans that, "Hey, Batman really does exist in the same universe as other DC heroes!" That alone would have been huge. I mean, when the best thing about that movie I Am Legend with Will Smith was that fake poster of a Batman and Superman movie, that says something. Too bad it's about 8 years too late to make me feel as excited about it.

SapphireStar

Just read an article regarding several Stars hinting at possibly playing Marvel characters in future movies. Bryan Cranston has dropped hints during a panel discussion at the New York Comic Con about playing Mr. Sinister.

The other star dropping hints is Vin Diesel. Apparently Marvel has approached him to possibly take on another role aside from playing Groot. Hints were dropped that they want him to play a character who does not speak. Which fuels the rumors that it will be Black Bolt, King of the Inhumans for the upcoming Inhumans movie. Not the first time an actor has played more then two roles. Ryan Reynolds is playing Deadpool and he also played Hannibal King in Blade: Trinity. Interestingly, Morena Baccarin is playing both DC and Marvel characters. She's on Gotham as Dr. Leslie Thompkins, did the voice of Gideon on Flash as well as Black Canary from the Justice League and Copycat/Vanessa Carlisle.

mia h

If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

Details were released regarding the next animated Batman movie, the Killing Joke. It will be the first one to be rated R. They seem to be going all out for this one. One of the sites reported that a while ago, when Mark Hamill said he was done playing the Joker he would only return if they made the Killing Joke. And, Kevin Conroy is back as Batman as well.

CaptainNexus616

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
he did return for Arkham Knight too! My understanding is that when they approached him with the script it was too good to turn down. I have the game myself and he was freaking awesome

About time they made the Killing Joke that has been on demand since Arkham City four years ago.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 13, 2015, 02:01:53 PM
Just read an article regarding several Stars hinting at possibly playing Marvel characters in future movies. Bryan Cranston has dropped hints during a panel discussion at the New York Comic Con about playing Mr. Sinister.

The other star dropping hints is Vin Diesel. Apparently Marvel has approached him to possibly take on another role aside from playing Groot. Hints were dropped that they want him to play a character who does not speak. Which fuels the rumors that it will be Black Bolt, King of the Inhumans for the upcoming Inhumans movie. Not the first time an actor has played more then two roles. Ryan Reynolds is playing Deadpool and he also played Hannibal King in Blade: Trinity. Interestingly, Morena Baccarin is playing both DC and Marvel characters. She's on Gotham as Dr. Leslie Thompkins, did the voice of Gideon on Flash as well as Black Canary from the Justice League and Copycat/Vanessa Carlisle.

Let's not forget Reynolds was also Hal Jordan the Green Lantern...but the less said about that the better.

I really need to watch Breaking Bad. It's doing remarkable things for Bryan Cranston and all I can remember is the dad from Malcolm in the Middle and that lame-tastic new Godzilla. So I don't know whether I care if he's in a superhero movie...plus isn't he kinda old? Even for Mr. Sinister?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on October 13, 2015, 08:59:42 PM
Let's not forget Reynolds was also Hal Jordan the Green Lantern...but the less said about that the better.

I really need to watch Breaking Bad. It's doing remarkable things for Bryan Cranston and all I can remember is the dad from Malcolm in the Middle and that lame-tastic new Godzilla. So I don't know whether I care if he's in a superhero movie...plus isn't he kinda old? Even for Mr. Sinister?

"Please don't make the super suit green - or animated!"