The Uncanny X-Men (Free-Form RPG, Groups)

Started by PhantomPistoleer, July 09, 2013, 11:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomPistoleer

MUTANT MULTIPLIER:  Clique
Group Affiliation:  X-Men (Student)
Weight:  21
Arch-Enemies:  Ex-Girlfriends?  None.
Nickname:  ... Multiple Boy.  ::sigh::

Powers:
*  Self-Duplication (25 exact duplicates)
*  Memory Absorption of Duplicates

Skills:
* Strength, Stamina and Speed of non mutant who endures extensive physical training
* Skilled tactician and engineer
* Martial Artist:  Aikido

Bio:

Francisco Oberman was born under a set of tragic circumstances:  first, unlike most mutants, Francisco’s powers manifested in the womb; second, his mother was in a car accident when she was eight months pregnant.  The kinetic impact of the car crash activated Francisco’s mutant power, and the child created twenty-five exact duplicates inside of his mother’s belly, killing her immediately.

As a result, Francisco’s father resented him throughout his life.  Though Felipe Oberman never treated his son without civility, he never quite came to love him.  When Felipe died of cancer, he confessed on his deathbed that he had hoped to be a better father, but that truly, he wished that Francisco had never been born.  This affected Francisco deeply.  He lost both his parents by the age of twelve.  After his father's death, he moved in with his Catholic grandparents who, despite their good intentions, only added to Francisco's difficulties.

Despite the disproportionate disconnect between himself and his parents, Francisco felt a certain amount of closeness to them through their scholarly work.  His father was an engineering professor of German descent.  His grandfather escaped NATO prosecution for war crimes in World War II.  Francisco's mother migrated from Brazil when she was seven.  She was a professor of literature.  His parents met, incidentally, in New York when the two had been briefly exiled by the Argentine dictatorship of the late 80s.  Their body of work was vast, ingenious and influential in the developing boy's mind.  Francisco felt that he could understand and thus forgive his father because he understood the mechanics of his mind through his work;  and he knew that his mother would forgive her child because of the sheer love directed towards that unborn possibility in her poetry.

Being a mutant in Argentina was difficult, but Francisco's powers lent themselves well to the task. Francisco paid to attend the Argentine University of Buenos Aires at the age of 15 by duping laborer-selves to sell souvenirs, serve meals at tourist restaurants and drive cabs.  Though a single person cannot do much, twenty five people constantly working around the clock allowed him to live and study comfortably.  He was able to complete a bachelor's degree in biology in a single semester by overloading on classes and sending duplicates to them.

It wasn't much later that the Beast, Dr. Hank McCoy, discovered Francisco.  He sent the X-Men to recruit the young man, but unbeknownst to them, Apocalypse, an immortal mutant, had also discovered Francisco's whereabouts and enticed him to join his crusade to conquer the world with riches beyond his wildest dreams.  However, the young mutant got cold feet after he witnessed the Apocalypse's brutality and joined the Beast's paramilitary group.  He helped them defeat Apocalypse. 

At the School, Francisco enjoyed unequaled joy at being part of an actual family.  Under the tutelage of world-class intellects, Francisco earned degrees in chemistry, geology, physics, a master's degree in engineering and criminal sciences and began his doctorate in engineering.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ember Star

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 12, 2013, 12:46:34 AM
Im a big fan of similar powers in groups, I hope to see Magma pop up in the game before all is said and done.
I'm not. At least not when it comes to certain characters and Claire is one of them. Too many powers out there to have overlapping ones without good reason.

However, it's fine. I'm just finicky about it when plans suddenly change. I can bring in my Fringe Scientist who has like five different eye abilities or my villain with gravity manipulation (if you're allowing villains).
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Ember Star

Quote from: Kokaine on July 12, 2013, 12:40:11 AM
Was just an idea. I'll be quiet now.
Oh sweety. Don't worry. It's not that. It was a good idea with another character I might consider it. I'm just weird about some things and some of my long standing characters. Claire is one of them I'm weird about. Honestly, I might still consider it. She does come from another universe after all. I'm just not sure about having her around another technopath and what kind of situation that'll create with her uniqueness. Even her little sister I had in one group could only manipulate electricity. Not technology. Not that there's not still A LOT that makes her unique. Like I said in my previous post. I'm just finicky when something suddenly comes up.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Ember Star

and to be completely honest, it's less the abilities that bother me (besides the Cyberpathy/Technopathy they really don't overlap that much. Not enough to actually bother me) and more the superb computer and hacking skills. LOL. Strange, I know. But her skills with that are what made her able to do what she did against the MTF. She's unrivalled with it. Having another superb hacker around... well either she'll like it or she'll be weird about it. Depends on your character's personality.
Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on July 12, 2013, 12:42:15 AM
I understand you're frustrated, Ember.  But it really isn't Kokaine's fault.  It's no one's really.

I am sorry that you're disappointed about it.  I don't really feel like it's a huge issue to have two women with the same powers.  It's even handy, really -- what, with everyone split up all the time.
Oh Hun. I wasn't cursing or blaming her at all. She didn't know. I was cursing muself for not being faster. I was the first to say something for it so it made me annoyed at myself for not being the first to post my character.

Liu Bao Yu

Monet is a pro hacker too: In the comics I've hacked a robot without knowing anything about it's operating system, it's schematics or anything. Reprogrammed it and sent it on it's way to do my bidding: Intuitive Hacking. That makes me a second best hacker... I suspect Data Witch would have just looked at it, and it would have knelt at her feet.

Having multiple hackers isn't bad at all. It's like having multiple fighters. It's just up to the GM (and us) to create the situation where we need them. It's not hard for us to create situations needing multiple fighters, or multiple people with social skills, it's just that fiction usual shows the hacker being solo, and that influences our perceptions.

On the subject of multiple characters: I'll stick with one. I like to put a lot of effort into empathizing with my character, and I struggle with more than one in a game. I know that's a personal weakness, so I'll watch how the rest of you deal with it.

Kokaine

Alright, gonna shelve Livi. Ember, go ahead with Claire.
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Ember Star

Yeah, but the thing with having multiple super hackers is... 1. unlike fighters, there's not a huge need for hackers to spread out. Claire for example can hack pretty much anything from anywhere in the world with a combination of her powers and skills so long as she has some way to remotely/wirelessly connect to it. 2. Hackers in general tend to be territory and private. 3. Hackers of the level Claire, Olivia (and possible Monet too), are very rare. 4. There's not a huge need for more than one super hacker within a group unless they're spread between multiple organizations (or freelance). It all depends on the situation and the GM.

However, that being said. I am considering going ahead and just letting Claire deal with coexisting competition. Might be fun. She's never encountered anyone who could rival her. Might strike up a interesting friendship or "frienameship" LOL.

Quote from: Kokaine on July 12, 2013, 01:59:21 AM
Alright, gonna shelve Livi. Ember, go ahead with Claire.
Oh no, sweety. If you want her keep her and play her. Even if I don't use Claire I totally have other characters. Just ignore me if you ever see my grumble like that. Once I get over the initial disappointed or whatever, I'm fine. I'm very easy to work with and very flexible with changing plans. I just grumble sometimes but then I'm fine. Which I am now :D You're probably a better player of hacker than me anyway. Lol.

btw, totally random. But I just realized her name is Olivia and I have another hackker (totally nothing to due with mutant groups) whose name is Olive :D

AribethAmkiir

Just to throw this out there, but Kitty Pryde is also canonically a genius with computers.

Ember Star

Hahahahaha the "Kitty/Cat" similarity.there.

Do we have a scientist, specifically a fringe scientist yet?

Kokaine, I mean it. Keep Levi. I'm thinking I'll bring Leola (my scientist with the eye abilities) in instead. There's probably more of a need for her anyway and she needs some development and play more than Claire does.

AribethAmkiir

Nope, no scientists that I'm aware of yet.  (Though Monet is probably the second best scientist, as well). 

Usually Beast takes that role, but no one has claimed him yet.

Ember Star

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on July 12, 2013, 03:02:38 AM
Nope, no scientists that I'm aware of yet.  (Though Monet is probably the second best scientist, as well). 

Usually Beast takes that role, but no one has claimed him yet.
Leola specializes in fringe and paranormal sciences anyway. Which, although I know that a lot of that is actual science in a X-men universe. What she specializes in is still the "edge of reality" stuff. I also don't care if stuff overlaps where Leola is concerned. I'm not weird about her like I am with Claire. Just wanted to make sure before I gave her a teaching job or something. Besides, science is a more communal and publically social than hackers anyway. Leola will also make a much better teacher than Claire. I think she's more appropriate all around once I started to consider her.

GhettoMagick

Hopefully some people might show up and be interested in being a Cyclops or an Emma Frost or even a Helen Keller. *wink wink nudge nudge* ha!
I wanna be loved by you. Just you. And everyone else too. I wanna be loved by everyone. ;o)

Ember Star

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: Ember Star on July 12, 2013, 03:37:53 AM
The deaf and blind woman from Alabama? O.o

That's the only Helen Keller I know of.  I'm a bit confused with that too

Liu Bao Yu

Quote(Though Monet is probably the second best scientist, as well). 
It's all true. Although I am mostly the second best techy. I'm probably third tier scientist.

Curious: Am I the only one that's been sent to jail?

Pumpkin Seeds

Druid is a scientist.  She's been doing a lot of research for her doctoral studies in botany.  Need to change that in her background from horticulture to botany.

Well I mean I got handcuffed in Mississippi once but I don't think I actually went to jail, but things did get a little hazy..err...wait..are we talking about characters?

VoluptuousVixen

Clique is like a even hotter Jamie Maddox, yum.

Kokaine

Quote from: Ember Star on July 12, 2013, 02:37:55 AM
Hahahahaha the "Kitty/Cat" similarity.there.

Do we have a scientist, specifically a fringe scientist yet?

Kokaine, I mean it. Keep Levi. I'm thinking I'll bring Leola (my scientist with the eye abilities) in instead. There's probably more of a need for her anyway and she needs some development and play more than Claire does.

Alrighty then.
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

My O/Os

kckolbe

Quote from: Kokaine on July 12, 2013, 12:16:11 AM
Attributes

Intelligence: 5
Strength: 2
Speed: 2
Durability: 2
Energy Projection: 6
Fighting Ability: 4

I would recommend lowering Fighting to 3 based on the description, and projection to 5 just for balance.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Ember Star

The Eyes of Science: The Watcher

Group Affiliation: X-men
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 130lb
Arch-Enemies:
Nickname: Eyes. Dr Cornell.

Powers: Vision-Based Powers[/u]; Abilities that are based on one's eyes and/or ability to see. (her eyes change color depending on which ability is in use. Color of eye will be listed in () next to ability name. Normal eye color is as shown in photo. She can also combine up to 3 abilities at one, creating a marble effect of the different colors. However she cannot use her ice and heat vision at the same time.)
*Night Vision (navy blue); Ability to see clearly even in total darkness
*X-Ray Vision (green); Ability to see through solid matter.
*Heat Vision (red); Ability to burn objects and other individuals with one's gaze.
*Telescopic Vision (orange); Ability to magnify and extend one's vision to various levels.
*Freeze Vision (frosty blue); Ability to freeze objects and other individuals with one's gaze.

Memory Projection: only works with her own memories.

Skills:
*Fringe Science (Pseudoscience).
*Parapsychology.
*General Science.
*Spying (her ability to playback her own memories makes her handy for this).
*Hand-to-hand combat.
*Biological weapons.
*Fencing.
*Dancing.

Bio: Leola was born in Seattle to a middle class family. Nothing especially remarkable about her earliest years except that she did show a high intelligence early on. Some would argue the genius leavel, but as she grew into an adult she narrowed her focus to science, especially the sciences of the unknown. The things that were considered impossible by the general understanding. But going back to her child years, she was 8 when her abilities first began to show. The none dangerous ones showed first, her parents didn't mind, but worried for her safety. So, they found a nearby mutant who told them he could teach her to control her abilities, and they sent her to him as a kind of after school program. He was a good teacher, he taught her good control. But by the time she was 11, he disappeared. It was okay though, she had a good understanding of her abilities by then.

It was when she was 13 when she first accidental discovered her heat and ice visions. This scared her because they seemed so different than her simple vision abilities. She asked her parents to take her to a special school she heard about in NY to finish school, that they would help her control and develop the rest of her abilities. So, with some reluctance, they did and she went through HS at Xavier's school, learning to fully understand and control her visions as well learn about another ability to project her own memories onto a reflective surface such as water or a mirror.

After she graduated High School she found a little known but good college in Canada which offered degrees in Pseudosciences. There she stayed for 8 years until she earned her doctorate. During which time she worked as a spy for the very company that would soon recruit her. After that she was recruited by a company in Texas where she worked and excelled for a year, until she found out that they were developing things she wanted no part in. After she left, she was called by Xavier to come back to the school where she could teach the children science and also be able to do her research.

Ember Star

She really doesn't have any enemies unless that company she worked for comes after her and I didn't add plot points because I wasn't sure where she was needed. You can tell me.

I'm still considering bringing in Claire as well because I love her. But if I do I may make her a loner who just fell through to this world and then the X-men can recruit her if they want to. IDK yet. Not sure I want two characters or if I do if I want a cannon.

Kokaine

Quote from: kckolbe on July 12, 2013, 12:13:18 PM
I would recommend lowering Fighting to 3 based on the description, and projection to 5 just for balance.

I can lower fighting to 3, will just have to change it around so that she's only started training in the last few years.
What do you mean 5 for balance with Projection?

My O/Os

kckolbe

You don't have to change the bio at all.  I chose 3 based on what was in the character sheet.  3 is a pretty common rating among the X-Men, even those that are frequently in hand to hand, like Colossus and Rogue.

As for balance, I am working on evening out some of the character concepts, but with the lowering of fighting, I think she'll be fine.  Feel free to disregard that part.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Batman4560

The field avisor:  War-Room
Group Affiliation: X-men (student)
Height: 6'
Weight:152 lbs
Arch-Enemies: Magneto, Inner Circle
Nickname: Ray

Powers: psychic mapping By locking onto brainwaves of others in an effective area (2 miles max) Ray can probe their brain and see what they see to better direct and coordinate other members of the X-men during missions. His power can also bring up a map of the area he is linking to and monitor friendly and hostile targets as well as civilians.

Skills: - Master strategist, adviser, capable had to hand combatant, trained in stealth and disguise, Track runner.

Bio:The New York native, Raymond never fit in at home or school, and always felt like he didn't belong. The constant bullying at school and an abusive father quickly taught Ray to learn to hide from any problems in his life. After years of being bullied Raymond stood by while his father struck his mother to the ground and then started to choke her. Raymond picked up a hammer and smashed the back of his fathers knee in causing him to fall. The ten year old fled with his mother and hid in a dark alley.

While hiding Ray began to wonder about how long he could stay hidden from his father and at that moment Ray could see what his father was seeing and knew how close he really was. Luckily for Ray, two X-men, Jean and the first Kurt Wagner were in the area when his powers manifested themselves and his psychic powers alerted Jean to his location. The two X-men moved in and saved Ray and his mother before his father could cause them any more harm. After realizing her Son was a mutant she allowed Jean to take him to the X-mansion to learn to hone is powers. Now at 17 years of age and ready to graduate high school Ray is serving as a sort of mission control and field commander for smaller teams of X-men.

Personality: Shy, Soft spoken, Willing to help someone in need, fast to act in a dangerous situation.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Intelligence:6
Strength:1
Speed:2
Durability:4
Energy Projection:1
Fighting Ability:4
What do you guys think?

AribethAmkiir

Hey Ember, how old is Leola?  I haven't truly added the years, but my guesstimation puts her around Banshee's age?

@Batman: I like the powerset.  He seems pretty solid.  Though, so you know, the Jean that found him isn't likely the same Jean that'll be in the game.