problems with computer

Started by darkvamplips, August 13, 2010, 11:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkvamplips

I bought this around June 7th or so it's really new. I am having problems every page I go to takes forever to download and then when I click it goes white and says not responding. So I thought it was a virus I downloaded a good virus program and I had 8 spyware it deleted it and then I thought great it would work again. No it's the same. And it's pretty much every single time I go to a different page and it's driving me crazy. I did another virus scan wondering if it missed something today and it came out negative. I had this problem with my other computer and I am ready to rip my hair out. Any ideas?
He once said "If he ever hurt you I will walk again to hurt him." Well he did hurt me and where is my friend? RIP Coby you are still on mind even after 10 years.

My request thread:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29818

jouzinka

It seems to me that it's not a problem with the computer itself, but more of a problem with the internet connection (if you've already had it with two separate computers). Do you know the speed it should be operating at? It could do to contact your internet provider - if you had some spyware in your computer, it's possible that it was sending spam emails and as a precaution your provider could have lowered your internet speed.

Also, do more people share the modem/router with you? It is possible for the internet to slow down for other users if one of them is downloading larger amount of data if they're connected to the same modem.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

HairyHeretic

A bit more information might help.

What processor and ram do you have?
What operating system? If it's a brand new machine I'd guess Windows 7?
Do you have other programs running at the same time?
Is it slow in using other applications, or only for online stuff?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oniya

Also, how recently have you done a disk cleanup and defrag?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

darkvamplips

HairyHeretic I will PM you.

Oniya no no one else is using my computer. I don't know where to look for the speed. Also my friend told me who knows a lot about these computers is it defrags by itself with windows 7. I have not done a disk clean because I don't know how.
He once said "If he ever hurt you I will walk again to hurt him." Well he did hurt me and where is my friend? RIP Coby you are still on mind even after 10 years.

My request thread:

Oniya

If you go to your Start menu and type "Disk" into the 'Search programs and files' box, it should come up.  (Disk Defragmenter should also show up - it wouldn't hurt to run it, but wait until after the Disk Cleanup.)  Anything temporary is supposed to delete automatically, and if it hasn't, you should mark it for deletion.  The Recycle Bin should be opened and given a quick look to make sure you want to delete everything in there, and then dump it.  Thumbnails can be deleted - the ones that you need/use frequently will be re-created.

More than likely, those will account for the majority of the files that Disk Cleanup looks for, and could clear out a few megs of disk space.  This can be used for various data operations, which can speed things up.

Running Disk Defragmenter will tell you if/how badly your disk is fragmented before it does anything.  Defragmenting takes all the bits of each file and puts them in the adjoining physical areas of the disk - which speeds things up.

If you go to your Control Panels, select System and Security, and then System, it should give you information about the computer.  Look for something that says 'Processor' and it will give you the processor's speed in mhz or Ghz.  The RAM should also be listed on that screen to finish getting the info Hairy asked about.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

darkvamplips

It's better for now at least. Thanks everyone. I did the defrag and the disk cleaning and it seems to be working fine.

My request thread:

Oniya

If you have an automatic scheduler, you should set that for at least once a month.  If not, put a sticky note on your desk to remind yourself.  (I've been known to forget about it myself - Mr. Oniya has it scheduled on his machine.)

darkvamplips

It says it's ready for every wednesday of the week.

My request thread:

Chevalier des Poissons

It doesn't have much to do with her computer, specially being so new and used only by her.

Tell me, dear, what kind of internet acess do you have? Wireless or cable?

I mean, you get a signal or you had to plug a cable into your pc?
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

darkvamplips

It's not a wireless so it's plugged in with a router. Plugged into my PC but it works now Chevalier since I did those things to my computer.

My request thread:

Chevalier des Poissons

I see.

Well, then I am glad you have things working.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

darkvamplips

Thanks though for your help :)

My request thread: