Twilight Exodus: Apocalyptic Fantasy Pathfinder (CLOSED)

Started by eBadger, February 07, 2018, 03:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eBadger

NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS.

The World Before was a place of magic and wonder, where technology brought man and elf and dwarf to reach for the stars.  It ended badly.  Greed; war; waste; the impact of irresponsible progress tore apart both land and society, until order slipped into irresistible collapse.  Nuclear holocaust, biological pandemic and megamagical rifts led to revolution and environmental annihilation.  Few pockets of civilization survived, and none prospered, although other things grew from the radiation, plague and mage storms like the spawn of nightmares. 

The small settlement of Twilight was a backwater town at the edge of nowhere Before; subsistence farming and poor mining held little value.  After, things didn't change so much; except the same hardscrabble chance to survive was priceless.  Twilight has survived the last century as a haven for scraps of civilization, accepting any race or culture that would work hard and obey the simple laws of mutual survival. 

All things end. 

The droughts are harder each year; the lands less fertile and resources more scarce.  For two decades the inhabitants of Twilight have known things were ending, but that time is suddenly near.  The planting has gone badly.  A year, the wise estimate.  Maybe two, before the Starving will begin. 

Factions have emerged.  The Forefathers, original human landholders and citizens from Before, have begun forming a conservative bloc.  They wield a powerful argument that even loved guests shouldn't remain so long they starve their hosts; although the new-come Blooded are quick to point out the sacrifices in labor, lives and ingenuity they've contributed to make Twilight survive this long.  The Wanderers, on the other hand, are believers in the New Lands, rumors and stories of prosperity as distant lands heal into lush gardens of paradise; they don't want to leave anyone behind.  And then there're the Hands; a mysterious group blamed for murders and destruction, dark-robed figures in the night wielding torches and violence to rid Twilight of any souls, human or otherwise, not deemed worth their rations.  They're reviled, but every murder means a better chance at life for those left. 

Town council meetings are marked by shouting and fistfights, but one thing is agreed upon: somebody will need to go, or a lot of people are going to die.  If there's any hope for the Exodus to have a chance, it needs supplies: the first of which is vehicles.  A few exist in town, and a small reserve of priceless fuel, but not enough.  A nomadic merchant, however, has promised to lead a small band to a promising vehicle depot beyond Twilight's territory. 

The small group chosen have proven themselves capable in one way or another; and just maybe expendable enough to risk. 

Twilight Exodus

Twilight Exodus will be a post-apocalptic gritty fantasy pathfinder game inspired by Mad Max, Fallout, Obernewtyn, Shannara, and other sources.  It is a homebrew high fantasy setting, taking place a century or so after a nuclear war.  I'm not much for changing rules; technology remnants would be re-flavored magic items for the most part.  Magic is magic; this will be the dark future of a fantasy world, not our own.

Rules:
-Guns are Commonplace; Early firearms (which are likely to be made either from scratch or scrap After) are 25% cost, martial weapons.  Advanced firearms are relics from Before, rare and prized, and will be considered simple weapons.  A gunslinger's starting weapon will be unbroken Masterwork quality.  Guns will be a regular element, but medieval weapons and armor still definitely have a place. 
-Create Water and Purify Food and Water are 1st level spells.  I'm not going to focus gameplay on daily survival, but scarcity is a part of the setting. 
-Toughness is a trait; Finding Your Kin/Haleen is a feat.  Because I like both, but pet peeve. 
-Add Craft: Mechanic and Craft: Electronics as skills.  Ride will include Driving. 

Game Info:
-This will be NC: Exotic.  I'm not intending to feature a lot of smut, but I'm sure sex will pop up from time to time and players are welcome to have some freedom.  I simply request that if it's not advancing the plot, it be moved to a side thread. 
-I expect players to commit to regular participation of 2-3 posts per week for several weeks.  Please don't apply if you aren't taking this seriously; it ruins the game for myself and others.  That said, I am certainly willing to work with scheduled absences and emergencies. 

Character Creation:
-Hook: Twilight is a melting pot of races, new arrivals and old hands, that until recently has accepted anyone willing to contribute and abide their manners.  You character should be well enough known to be trusted with a key mission for the town's future, and should care enough about it to risk their lives on an expedition into the savage unknown. 
-20 point buy, 2nd level, 2 traits, background skills, max HP first level, best of roll/half hit die after that (ie, if your hit die a d8, and you roll a 2, you may instead take 4).  Myth-weavers is a great hosting site for character sheets. 
-Characters begin with 1,000 gp in gear, as well as a mule with pack and harness for the mission. 
-No alignment restrictions, but even the most immoral character will understand that the group is their only chance at survival.   
-I'm open to any Pathfinder classes, and core/standard/featured/advanced races (drow at 14 RP level).  I'm dubious about third party stuff, but I'll consider it on a case by case basis.  All that said, the weirder and more outlandish you get, the more I will expect a very good concept that incorporates it. 
-I will put together a functional group, but I don't put a lot of priority on a balanced one.  Feel free to duplicate classes; submit the character you want to play, not the one you think is missing. 

I will leave recruiting open for at least one week, and will give at least two days notice before closing it.  There is no first come/first serve. 

Chulanowa

Quick concept, WIP

Name: Three
Race: Ratfolk
Class(es): TBD (Barbarian? Rogue? Something that hurts things)

Outline: Three was born a slave. She was raised a slave. More accurately she was raised as bait, a "trainer" for a gladiatorial fights. She was the warmup, the "chew toy"... At least until she stuck a shard of glass through a fighter's eyesocket. Then she was a liability to her owner... So she bit half his hand off. Two more fighters finally managed to pry her off the man; while not strong, she was certainly wry and htye had a devil of a time. For a few days she was kept in an iron box, only to find herself on the floor of a new arena. This time, with weapons.

She tries to not think too much about the time she spent doing... that. It's fury and fear, her own and that of the people she... Well. It's all kind of a haze now. You see, she was liberated! That's what they call it at least, these other ratfolk. They're her friends, at least they say so. She's come to believe them, and in the time since they let her out of that cage, she's come to learn she can feel joy, laughter, companionship even. Only those few brave ones who freed her know what she was - most around her otherwise find her companionable, even sweet. An d for that, she'd do pretty much anything to protect them...

Arcanist

Most definitely interested. A female cleric or Druid. Would like to know the type of gods/goddess available, or at least the domains.
Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

Hexed

Signpost spears and other weapons... you've got me wanting melee now.  Just refluff weapons or are you allowing custom stuff by the optional rules?

eBadger

My preference is to refluff existing stuff. 

Generic fantasy pantheon, feel free to use existing stuff or introduce your own. 

Thorne

Now, that's interesting... Chu, have you been camping out in my head again? :p  ^^;

Barik; foulspawn barbarian (Unchained, Wild Rager)

The first day of freedom began normally enough. Barik rolled off his pad, sipped stale water from the cup that caught runoff from the leaky roof, and waited for the guard to bring him out to breakfast. He joined a dozen other men like him, hard-bitten criminals, men destined to sooner or later die in the ring. Some of them were human. Many were half-orc, or like Barik, part something else. A big man, with a rough coating of curly black hair that grew thickest on his head, with skin rarely clean enough to tell its true shade, Barik had been there the longest. They called him Bloodfury, for the killing rage that only ended when the last bodies fell.
   There was no glory here, no hero-worship, no money or girls. Only blood, sand and irregular meals. And then, that day, there was the men. They came in armor, and killed anyone who stood in their path. Barik liked to fight, but he saw a losing battle and knew it for what it was. A chance came, and he took it, and freedom, in both hands. He ran, and he didn't look back.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Bibliophilia

Ooo...I want to play a gunslinger!  -bounces.-

Badger, is there anything like a lawman in this town or in the setting?  I was thinking a sort of Texas Ranger-esque character that roams the wasteland from settlement to settlement.  He serves as a sort of judge, jury and executioner in those instances when said settlements have locked someone up for being suspected of crimes.  Obviously, most of the time said criminals would just get hanged without any sort of trial, but I could see certain towns wanting to try and hold onto a semblance of civilization.  My guy/girl would be like if Roland of Gilead were combined with Judge Dredd and tossed into a fantasy setting.

Hobbes1266

Stacky Wilim, Halfling spell-less ranger.

Stacky was born into many luxuries from her parents business in trade, the merchant life treated her well when she was young, exploring the world on her parents caravan without fear of thirst or hunger would be a dream that some other children could only pray for, but luxury provokes envy. It was a cold and silent night when Stackys life changed without warning. The caravan guards were put to sleep by mages they never saw, allowing a human bandit tribe to slip in without resistance. Before her eyes were open to see it, Stacky was surounded by flames, smoke and scream, the girls heart racing in her chest in confusion as she made her way out of the burning wagon, coughing and wheezing for air. The young halfling stared in disbelief at the blazing camp before her, bandits looted the wagons, capturing any caravan workers they could as slaves, putting down any who put up too much of a fight. Stacky ran in fear without a second thought, and by pure luck managed to escape without being seen. The halfling kept running until her legs gave out, finding herself on the edge of a ruins that had once been a city, helplessly crawling under a pile of rubble to cry herself to sleep. What Stacky saw when she awoke made her jump in surprise, a skeleton long dead had kept her company through the night, hugging a crossbow to its chest. After several moments to recover from her shock the young halfling looted the corpse and made her way into the ruins. Stacky spent several years struggling and learning to survive on her own, hunting and scavenging what she needed to survive, and as she became more skilled she began hunting bandits to take their ill gotten gains for herself. There were many things the halfling struggled to obtain by herself, causing her to on occasion leave her isolation to trade for supplies at the town of Twilight.

eBadger

Quote from: Bibliophilia on February 07, 2018, 03:11:34 PM
Ooo...I want to play a gunslinger!  -bounces.-

Badger, is there anything like a lawman in this town or in the setting?

There is now!  I love it.  You'll also get to try to walk the line between the settlement politics.  Yay!  (Maybe was appointed before the politics got intense, or maybe leans toward one faction?  You decide)

Looks good, Thorne.  I see there's a need for a thundersome somewhere!

Stacky has a good start, just be sure she has a clear tie to the town.  The politics there will involve her, and this isn't an easy world to live in long on ones own. 

Hobbes1266

Quote from: eBadger on February 07, 2018, 03:55:46 PM
There is now!  I love it.  You'll also get to try to walk the line between the settlement politics.  Yay!  (Maybe was appointed before the politics got intense, or maybe leans toward one faction?  You decide)

Stacky has a good start, just be sure she has a clear tie to the town.  The politics there will involve her, and this isn't an easy world to live in long on ones own.
I was thinking her motivation for getting involved with the town would be guilt over abandoning her family when she was young, and loneliness. What kind of currency would be used in this? When looking at inventory options online I found a list made for pathfinder in alternate settings  (specifically sci-fi, but not starfinder) and it mentioned the possibility of some civilization using batteries for trade (with full batteries being worth 100 gp and burnt out batteries being worth 10 gp.) There's also the possibility to bottlecaps like fallout or something else.

Bibliophilia

Quote from: eBadger on February 07, 2018, 03:55:46 PM

Yeah, I was thinking he/she takes their duty very seriously and tries to be as unbiased as possible.  So, depending on the faction of the settlement they're currently in, that's how they approach whatever they're enforcing.  So, probably their actual political leanings are a private thing that they keep to themselves, because they believe it is inappropriate for them to reveal them while they are in a position of authority.

Now, I need to find an image I like, so I can settle on a sex.

EDIT:  So....I have found images I like for both sexes.  -tortured.-  I'll wait and see what the gender ratio looks like and decide then.

ravinwulf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Uv_SQimGffGDFAeRXbEgIZRPhh15OuYEOrc4y6uHR18/edit?usp=sharing

saved entire sheet as a word doc, but nothing is set in stone right now.

Bibliophilia

The document requires permission to access.

EDIT:  It works now!

sullivanthedreadlord

Is there still space? Won't be able to build a character till I get home.
I walk in the light for ever bathed in its glory, and yet my heart yearns to be consumed by the darkness hidden with in my soul

My O/O Page

InoshimaLance

Vanfreil Von Alden <---- Char Sheet

Background: Once many years before, he was considered a great threat to a certain settlement and was forced to go inside a building that was already abandoned and alone as a sort of jail time. He spent his time on that jail thinking of his vengeance and the ways to make everyone that betrayed him suffer. His low and still very weak magi abilities were just enhanced with the snap of his own mind after the solitude and banishment, after forcing him to survive alone in a place where almost nothing could be found. He learned how to keep himself awake by using magic, that way he could take the benefits of not sleeping some days.

One fateful day he was strong enough and escaped what would become his grave. He ran to the settlement and set hunt to everyone that he once lived with. He was sure to make everyone suffer before killing them. After that there was nothing that could be done to his already broken mind. Even so, he kept one layer of sanity and balance, being able to actually mourn his murders but still keeping his dark side fully up. He knows that he did bad, he knows what is wrong and right. Will that stop him? Probably not.

Vanfreil came to Twilight after wandering for many days, hunger and thirst at its peak. He was saved though by the then very welcoming people. Yet he could not come in a worst time. Vanfreil came just when the resources discussions started, and since he was one of the few that came at the very end, he was not much welcome as before. Some even started to doubt he was human at all, and maybe was bound to be kicked out. They were not wrong but Van would not let them learn the truth at any costs. Yet he found a great deal in getting the others to welcome him for good. The Forefathers seemed like the hardest choice, as they were so extreme in their views. The Blooded or the Wanderers would be better, though, was there any future for any of them? The Blooded might be banished to the outside, while he has no belief in the Wanderers, he was out there, there was nothing in milles around but sand and heat. What can he do now?

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Sexuality:Gay

Will add more to his Background after knowing more of the plot. What do you guys think?

eBadger

Quote from: sullivanthedreadlord on February 07, 2018, 06:24:00 PM
Is there still space? Won't be able to build a character till I get home.

Yes, will still be open for a few days, submit away!

InoshimaLance

Forgot to ask something, I know what backgrounds are but what are background skills?

Hobbes1266

sullivanthedreadlord

I walk in the light for ever bathed in its glory, and yet my heart yearns to be consumed by the darkness hidden with in my soul

My O/O Page

InoshimaLance

Quote from: sullivanthedreadlord on February 07, 2018, 10:10:51 PM
Is there an online fillable character sheet?

Myth-Weavers is the one I use. I hope is not spam but here:
https://www.myth-weavers.com/

Create an account and you can make Sheets for many systems.

Arcanist

Rachel Davenport

2nd Level Cleric of Desna (Varisian Pilgrim)
Domains: Travel and Fate

Ability Scores:
Strength:      10          Dexterity:    13
Constitution: 12          Intelligence: 10
Wisdom:       18          Charisma:    16

Misc. Information:
AC:    14  Touch AC: 11    Flat Footed 13
Hit Points:      14             CMB/CMD:    +0/12
Initiative:      +1              Speed:         40
Attack:          +0 Melee
                    +1 Ranged

Skills:
Acrobatics:        +1           Appraise:      +0        Bluff:                 +3
Climb:                0            Diplomacy:    +9      Disguise:            +3
Escape Artist:    +1            Fly:              +1     
Heal:                +10          Intimidate:    +3       Know (History):  +4
Know (Religion) +4           Know (Planes)           Proffesion (Fortune Teller)    +9
Perception:       +7            Ride:              +1
Sense Motive:   +8            Spellcraft:                 Stealth:             +1
Survival            +9/+11      Swim:           0     

Saving Throws:
Fortitude Save:   +4      Reflex Save:    +1      Will Save:         +7

Feats:
Fortune Teller - Using Harrow deck as focus or both deck and holy symbol for +1 caster level (divination)
Armor Proficiency (Light)
Simple Weapon Proficiency

Traits:
Birthmark - Birthmark serves as holy symbol and +2 sav against charm and compulsion
Shoanti Tribesman - +1 Survival and Survival is Class Skill

Special Abilities:
Agile Feet (7 times a day) - As a free action - ignore difficult terrain
Bit of Luck (7 times a day) - Upon touch - any time target rolls D20 - roll twice and use more favorable result
Caravan Bond - After leading a group prayer (6 companions) can use domain-granted powers on any traveling companions without touch
Cleric Channel - Postive 1D6 (6 times a day)
Daylight (1 time a day)
Darkvision (60 feet)
Deity's Favourite Weapon - Starknife
Energy Resistance 5 (Acid, Cold & Electricity)
Fortunate Road - Must pick certain domains
Spontaneous Casting - Cure Light Wounds
Aura - Chaotic Good

Spells: 0 level Unlimited, 1st level x4
0 level                                         1st level
Detect Magic                                 Create Water
Enhanced Diplomacy                     Command
Mending                                       Longstrider
Resistance                                    Deadeye Lore

Description:
Gender: Female                        Alignment: Chaotic Good
Age:      18                               Race: Aasimar           
Height:  5' 0:                            Weight:      100ibs
Hair:     Black (Midnight Blue)     Eyes:          Gold
Skin:      Fair                             Religion: Desna
Languages Spoken: Celestial, Common, & Infernal

Equipment:
Weapons:
Walking  Stick (Hanbo) - Melee +1 1D6
Light Crossbow - Ranged +2 1D8
Starknife - Melee +1 Ranged +2 1D4

Armor:
Leaf Armor

Backpack, Masterwork - Flint and Steel, Outfits, Healer's kit, Waterskin

Adventurer's sash: - Harrow deck, Spell Component pouch, Compass, Crossbow bolts, Grappling bolt

Belt Pouch - 85Gp, 3sp 9cp

Pack Mule - Animal Harness, Pack saddle, Survival Kit (Masterwork) Antidote kit, Healer's kit, Bedroll, Blanket, Fishing kit, Grooming kit, Cooking kit
Mess kit, Mirror, Silk Rope, Grappling Bolt, Trail Rations x10, Waterskin

Background:
Rachel was born on the road. No one knew who her parents were but she was cared for early on by a pride of Romani or Gypsies. Her main carer
was the Matriarch of the pride who was also a fortune teller. Soon after introducing the Harrow Deck to Rachael at a young age, she proved to be a prodigy.
Soon far surpassing the skills of the Matriarch. It also became evident that Rachel was not all she seems. For one thing, she was bless with the mark of the Romani.
Luck follows her and rubs off on the other members of the pride, the time it took for the pride to travel also shortened, not in terms of hours but days.  Then Rachel
started manifesting abilities, abilities gifted by one of the older Goddess of the Land, who was once said to be the Goddess of the Romani. Not all of the pride was glad
of the blessing. The son of the Matriarch wanted to lead and decided to take Rachel for himself.

Rachel had a vision from the goddess of what will come to past and possible fates. So, packing her belongings, she took to the road, exploring the apocalyptic world.
Travelling from one small pocket of ciilvisation to another, she earns a living by telling fortunes and sharing her luck. In times of scarcity, her granted abilities making
her a boon for any of these pockets. Her love of ecploration stopping her for settling down in any one specific place. During her travels she hears of the Wanderers and wish
to learn from them. Perhaps even joining them. However, she hears of the tumoil facing the current settlement she is in. They need help. Perhaps she can provide it.

Roll Result: Arcanist rolled: 1d8
Comment: Hit points for cleric level 2
Result: 2,
Total: 2

Hit point for 2nd level = 4
Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

eBadger

Several great starts! 

I've added links to Mythweavers and background skills to the OP (thank you, Ino and Hobbes!) and will give coinage a think.  I don't expect there to be so many electronic devices that batteries will be commonly used (although they'll certainly be valuable), and caps are a bit too campy/referential to me.  I'm a little tempted to say gunpowder, but it's probably best to say that, while bartering is by far the most common form of trade, gold and silver remain a useful standard for those needing capital that's easily transportable.  But if you have some spare encumbrance and plan to play nice with uncivilized folk, buying a few items to trade isn't a bad idea (weapons, food, tools, etc). 

Don't forget backgrounds, and I added a bit to the character creation section about the hook.  I tried to leave possibilities very open, but a group needs a reason to work together and a motivation to do hard things, and that reason is Twilight.  They have some reason to trust you with an important step in the literal survival of the townsfolk, and you have a reason to risk your life for theirs. 

Thorne

You could borrow one from Krynn's book and use steel; forged steel is one of those that's not so easy to get if you don't know how to make it, or have lost the facilities.

Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Bibliophilia

Badger, would Lawful Neutral be allowed for someone whose definition of 'law' depends on the faction running the settlement he's currently in?