News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup

Started by Nico, June 07, 2010, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico

As promised earlier today... here's the Soccer World Cup thread. ;D

Chat away.

Nico

Oh, right. Pixi, no pics of hot guys. We all know that Beckham is the hotness.  ;D

Scribbles

Poor host country; they don't even get an honourable mention in your list.  :-)
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Remiel

I was wondering when someone would post a thread like this.

I love World Cup.  I'm not normally that huge of a sports fan -- the only exception would be American football, and only then at a professional level.   I have zero interest in college sports.  I only watch basketball occasionally.  Hockey? What's that?   Even domestic football (or soccer, as we Americans persist in calling it) doesn't really interest me.   I am vaguely aware that there are clubs with names like Manchested United and AC Milan and Real Madrid.

But ever since FIFA decided to allow the US to host the World Cup in '94, I've been a rabid fan of World Cup.  Why? Because it's the only truly international sport there is.  Not like the World Series of baseball, which should be called the American Series Plus A Couple Of Teams From Canada That Will Hardly Ever Win Series.   And unlike the Olympics, where the same person can win the 100 meter backstroke, the 200 meter freestyle, and the 145.3 meter One-Leg Bunnystyle,  there's only one winner.   It's the only competition where every single match is a matter of national pride, and countries that have nothing better to do stage a national celebration if their team wins.  It's a sport where the fans take it so f---ing seriously that a player can be f---ing murdered for accidentally scoring a goal for the other team (which, some football fans must suggest, is exactly how it should be.)

It's the only tournament where a South American team has exactly the same chance of winning the trophy as a European team.   It's the only tournament where a country like South Korea or Turkey can come in third, and the U.S. can come in dead last. 

I don't pretend to know a lot about football.  I do know that Lionel Messi of Argentina is widely considered to be the best player in the world right now, and Wayne Rooney isn't far behind.  I know that America's best shot lies with 20-year-old phenom Jozy Altidore.  I know (or at least, think I do) what a penalty kick is, and what constitutes an offsides penalty.  But I will be recording every single game, and cheering on the U.S. all the way.

World Cup Fever -- do you has?

Stan'

I'm a massive Germany fan, but since they lost their talisman Ballack, I doubt they'll even get to the semi-finals.  They're a good team, but don't have the kind of flair that the Spaniards and South Americans have.  But they're efficient, and get things done.  Argentina are a team to watch.  Maradona's really been struggling with his management skills, but look at the strike force!  Tevez, Messi, Aguero and Milito.  Not only that, they could afford to leave Cambiasso at home.  Bloody Champions League winner.  They've had some dodgy results lately, but I say they're the team to watch.  Them and the Netherlands.

Yeah... umm... how can you have Portugal and France there... but not the Netherlands?

Nico

Germany's still pretty good, even if Ballack is a key player. As much as I would wish it, I doubt that they'll make it far. I hope the same for England, mind you, and I think that England has better chances to go far.

On the other hand, Argentina is top, just like Spain. Both can make it to the final. Somehow, I love love to see Spain - Argentina in the final game. ;D Would be a great game.

And I think I will have to make more vote options! ~laughs~

Heaven Sent Blossom

Form says Spain and nobody else, however form has a way of abandoning teams when they need it in a tournament like this--even with that said I think it's a brave or foolish man who writes off Spain in favour of pretty much any team.
Although my heart would sing if Germany could manage something special and take the thing once more.

Oh and if you've seen any of his games in domestic action this season you would know that Altidore is not a man you want to be pinning any hopes on;-p

I'm also not convinced that Argentina really could afford to go without Cambiasso, it's just that their manager probably isn't up to the task of selecting a side.
Also this poll would've been fine without the Dutch, after all it's a poll on who might win not a poll on who might get a good amount of hype and then choke like they do every tournament.

Stan'

But see.  Up until the last tournament, Spain were always the nearly men.  They had an amazing team, just like they have right now, but similar to the Netherlands, they always choked at the mid-way hurdle.  I think the pressure might get to them too much, and could probably crash out at the semi-finals, depending on fixtures.  I've tried to make some sense out of it all, but really, there's so many possibilities for who can play who in the knock-out rounds, that you're better off waiting until the last 16 to really know who will be playing who.

Remiel

I'm going with Brazil.  They have the talent, they have the tradition, and even without Ronaldinho they have the staying power.  Argentina is...manic-depressive, and I'm not sure Maradona can pull off coaching.

Spain could probably be the best bet of the tournament, though.  They're a young team, and have nowhere to go but up.

Nico

All the top teams aside, the World Cup is always the time of surprises, I would say. Personally, I think that, in the end, it's all a question of mental strength.

Quote from: Remiel on June 09, 2010, 10:52:07 AM
Spain could probably be the best bet of the tournament, though.  They're a young team, and have nowhere to go but up.
Agreed, 100%.  I was totally surprised when they won the Euro Cup in 2008.

As for Argentina. It's quite weird that a lot of the people there can't stand Messi. :D

Ramster

I'm gunning for England and Holland - as I'm English, with a dual nationality, living in Holland, this will complicate things if they end up playing each other.

I'm pleased to see Holland are on your list now. Brazil are going to win this year, I think. Germany are dead in the water without Ballack, Italy are aging, and Argentina have a loose cannon of a coach who will be wired up to his eyeballs if they do make it to the final. Holland and England both have a n00b keeper, with Holland at the added disadvantage of not having a single defender who's as world class as their supermen up front. I can see them winning a match 5-3, then losing their last match 3-2. England will fail in a penalty shootout again, or Rooney will snap a metatarsal and that's the end of our goalscoring opportunities.

Still looking forward to watching! ;)
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

Nico

Like me, ramster!  XD

England - Germany in the final game would be so bad. I wouldn't know who to cheer for!

Ridcully

German, soccer fan, and of course hoping for the best.

So for all the people out there having no clue about the German team, let's have a quick summary of the key players:

"Kiss me...down by the broken tree house..."

Ballack. BALLACK. In Germany only called:

"El Capitano."

El Capitano is injured. He can't play at the World. Cup. Why? Because of this:

Now, the guy hitting BALLACK [El Capitano] there, is Kevin-Prince Boateng. Who is he?

He's German. Wait. Half-German. Have a look how 2Pac he is:

"California...knows how to party..."

Kevin-Prince Boateng played for german national youth teams. But, he's a bit on the...ahem...criminal side. Got arrested and such. Only "coz he's black and ghetto" and such, so now he hates Germany. It certainly doesn't play a role that he didn't succeed here as a soccer player and plays now in England. So, he's playing for Ghana now. And his father says he hates Ballack. So the foul up there was justified.

Now, you guys who are not interested in soccer think: Why should I care? Oh, hello, because of him:

My most favourite player in the whole wide world: Jerome Boateng.

Boateng? Wait a minute...Right. He's the half-brother of 2Pac aka Kevin Prince Boateng. And...guess what?

He's playing for Germany.

Jerome = Germany.

Kevin "PRINCE" [read: the asshole player formerly known as Prince] = Ghana.

And the second match for Germany?

Ghana.

So it's brother vs. brother. And 82 millions Germans vs. Kevin Prince Boateng.

Woot.

Here's some other players - and for those who think Germany won't go far, you might watch out for these three:

Bastian Schweinsteiger aka "Basti Fantasti". He's gonna take the role of Ballack as a leader. Watch out for him - he'll play a great World Cup. Guaranteed.

"Lalalalala...I don't know the German anthem but lalalalalal"

Mesut Özil. Sounds so German, eh? He's a great player. No Messi, but with very good technique. One of the key players - I think he makes Germany stronger than 2006 actually, because back then we didn't have such a good player in the offense.

Probably not a lot of people outside Germany will know this guy, but I have a strong feeling this will change soon. Toni Kroos, 21. Best player at various international youth tournaments. He's a new Günter Netzer/Bernd Schuster. Though he won't be a starter, he's a player who can make the difference eventually. I love this guy.

Oh, and here is our coach - Joooooooooooooooooooooooogi Löw. Der Jogi.

He can do a lot of things:

He can wear a scarf.

He can be pensive.

He's really good in wearing scarfs.

He can hug Ballack.

"Fuck off, summer. I wear a scarf if I want to."

"I only need one eye to see that the English striker will miss the penalty."

"I won't give Janet Jackson my damn scarf."

Oh, i love the Jogi. We don't need to win to look damn good.

Nico

That's so damn hilarious, Ridcully. Love it!!

Scribbles

Jogi looks like an evil mastermind in some of those pics.

And Ballack is like your best looking player and THAT is the pic you use for him? T_T
AA and OO

Nico

Oh yes, Ballack is very attractive.

Ridcully

Hello, no, there's so much more to Ballack!!!

His team mates love Ballack!

"SLAPTASTIC, MISCHA!!!!"

He's got a hand with referees as well:

"DAMN IT! I CAN'T DISTINGUISH FRONT AND BACK WITH YOU"

"Hey John Terry. I'm going to Euro 2008 this summer. What are your plans again?"

Scribbles

It's a shame he won't be featuring... T_T

Reading what you said though, I wonder if it really was an accident. When I first heard about it I thought it was just rotten luck but now...  >_<
AA and OO

Nico

"Yes, that's a football"

There is much love in the German team. ;D

But, seriously, we cannot forget him:

And him:

Heaven Sent Blossom

You forgot to mention Philip "best fullback in Europe, nay sir, THE WORLD" Lahm:-<

In all seriousness I think a lot of people are selling this German side a ways shorter than they should be doing. Sure it's not the absolute strongest line up in history, and the average age is kind of low but the reduced pressure that brings can sometimes do wonders. Plus it's not like Michael Rensing is between the sticks or anything*.
Shame Rolfes isn't going though.

*I love Michael Rensing and I don't care what anybody else says about him.

Stan'

John Terry wasn't as good as he used to be.

Ridcully

I don't think Kevin-Prince Boateng did it on purpose; he's just not smart enough to think that far ahead.

Anyways, it really sucks that Ballack isn't there. On the other hand, Ballack is a loser when it comes to finals...so....

Honestly though, apart from all the fun the team brings, Germany isn't very strong. We have the youngest World Cup team since ages. Most of the players are younger than 25. You can't win the World Cup without some kick-ass leaders, and we really don't have them this time.

England is certainly very strong, but honestly, it's more or less down to Rooney + 10 random other guys making sure he gets the ball in the offense. They might go far.

However, Netherlands. Netherlands. Robben, Sneijder, van Persie. And Mark van Bommel.

_THE_ Mark van Bommel. Bommelbommelbommelbommel.

He's an Alpha Male. Among Alpha Males, he'd be the A-1-Male.

Here are some typical situations including Mark van Bommel:

"Soccer is only good when it hurts.
Others."

HockeyGod

Nico

Just for the record.

Rooney's "Fuck you" to the referee really made my day today!

Ridcully

Quote from: Nicholas on June 09, 2010, 02:38:40 PM
Just for the record.

Rooney's "Fuck you" to the referee really made my day today!

*nodsnods*
The referee didn't send him off though, because he said that Rooney was his favourite player. That's awesome. Probably why Maradonna never got a red card for "The hand of god".

But seriously, watch Rooney play.  He mutters about 3123 times "Fuck" to himself during a match. The question arise: During intercourse, does he mutter "offside, offside" on the other hand?