Warhammer 40k, It can happen!

Started by Primarch, May 26, 2010, 10:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

Well if at any point you feel like dropping in after we've started, just send me a PM!

On a more general note, OOC thread will be up tonight.

Primarch

Tharic

I'm interested, I'll get a char started and post it over to the OOC thread.

Space Marine variant of some sort so shouldn't be any major issues but I can PM you the sheet before I post.

ChaoticSky

o_O why did no one tell me about this? *gives IB the evil eye*

i once tried to get one of these going as well, so i guess ill join if youll have me ^^

thinking Inquisitor or maybe my old Rogue Trader character from my own game... never know when you might need a ship to get around!

to provide my own fluff-nazi input on the discussion so far:

id like to point out, in regards to the eldar aspect warriors... they are not gender specific, the warp spiders i dont think have any preference one way or the other. the only one i know of with any kind of inclination is the Howling Banshees, but even they take males (said eldar male just has to give up his gender-identity and assume a female persona... but they are still biologically male... so they are kinda like eldar crossdressers >_>)

and you bring up a interesting point about techsororitas, i think they might just use enginseers, like the Guard... but like you i cant recall anything specific about it... so a techsororita is fine. and very neat conceptually.

lastly, to provide a bit of explanation for sinoraa. there are no female marines, as the process used to create Space Marines is heavily reliant on male genotypes and hormone sequences. by extension, there are no female Space Marine Chapters. to fill in the gender gap, there are the Adeptus Sororitas, or 'Sisters of Battle'. they function as the military arm of the Ecclesiarchy (the preisthood) who are forbidden from having 'men at arms'. they are divided into Orders, ie 'The Order Of The Bloody Rose', 'The Order Of The Ardent Shroud' etc. using powered armour and bolters (along with a cheerful preference for flame-based weapons) they are roughtly akin to space marines, in theory making up for the lack of genetic engineering by pure zeal and and righteous fury.

in addition, they are used as the military arm of the Ordo Hereticus of the Inquisition, becoming a parallel organization to the Space Marine Deathguard and Grey Knights Chapter. they were chosen for this partly because the Hereticus has a hardline anti-abhuman stance, and some go so far as to include Space Marines in that description. additionally, while Space Marines revere the Emperor, they are separate from the Imperial Cult, and do not consider him a god, while the Sororitas take the Imperial Cult *very* literally and seriously.

lastly, despite their motif as 'ultra fanatical battle nuns in space', they do not take vows of chastity or anything similar. generally, they are too busy for any kind of schnookie or personal relationships, but they are know to happen, and not entirely unwelcome. especially if the sisters in question have been garrisoned on a peaceful world for a prolonged peroid of time.

HairyHeretic

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sisters_of_Battle has a nice overview of  the Sisters.

I'm not familiar with any tech adepts amongst the Sisters either. Marines who show an inclination for technology are trained under the AdMech on Mars, and the IG have their own attached members of the Adeptus Mechanicus there. Any other military arm I can think of tends to follow the IG format.

I'd be inclined to think seconded Adeptus Mechanicus rather than AM trained sisters, for theological reasons (odd as that may sound). The Sisters worship the Emperor as a God, the AdMech would revere him as the Omnissiah. Given the Sisters are a militant wing of the Ecclesiarchy, I can't see them swaying towards God-Emperor in another form.

But that's just my own thoughts on the matter.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Tharic

For what it's worth, the Codex:Sisters of Battle 2nd edition book (little old and using 40k 2E rules) included an option to spend army points on techmarines from the Adeptus Mechanicus, so it could be inferred from that that the Sister's did not include have their own mechanicus force.

But then again, that's sticking strictly to codex canon. Out of the billions of planets in the Imperium and so many of them housing Ecclesiastics and Sisters of Battles, I'm sure there must be at least *ONE* lone Adepta Sororitas in the galaxy with a penchant for technocrati.

Quote from: Darkling on May 28, 2010, 11:25:15 AM
lastly, despite their motif as 'ultra fanatical battle nuns in space', they do not take vows of chastity or anything similar. generally, they are too busy for any kind of schnookie or personal relationships, but they are know to happen, and not entirely unwelcome. especially if the sisters in question have been garrisoned on a peaceful world for a prolonged peroid of time.

I could only imagine the fun the Confessors and Redemptors could have finding that out.. lol

Keala Mensha Khaine

They have females tech-adepts :D They talk about them in Mechanicum from the Horus Heresy, one of them is a big character in the book even.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Keala Mensha Khaine on May 28, 2010, 08:40:56 PM
They have females tech-adepts :D They talk about them in Mechanicum from the Horus Heresy, one of them is a big character in the book even.
we know this, i believe he was referring to tech-sororitas, in the theme of Techmarines. lore wise there is nothing to suggest they exist, and most likely they used Enginseers, similar to the Guard

Urbanzorro

While I most likely shan't be playing in this game I do wish you guys the best of luck :D would be good to see a WH40K game turn out well.
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Ramael

Definately interested, and here's wishing you good luck in advance.

I would love to play an Eldar...agent. Maybe one of the manipulators of the Tau insurgence? I appreciate "agent" is a vague term, but how would you feel about a character who was a little Pathfinder, a little Pirate, a little Warlock and a teensy bit Aspect Warrior, a jack of all trades but master of none?

I was thinking about just playing an Illuminati agent, but we've got another Eldar player here and they're my old favourites.

Primarch

I believe a jack of all trades but Master of none is the complete opposite of usual Eldar lifestyle, they normally dedicate themselves to a "Path" until mastering it, before dedicating the rest of their lives to it or choosing a new Path. I wouldn't be against the idea of an Eldar who's moved through one path, and has started down the road of another, although an Eldar who's mastered near everything might be a bit OTT. :P 

Oh and Darkling, yes feel free to take up an Inquisitor, or your old Rogue Trader character (who could have been drafted into the service of the various present military forces for the purpose of the RP XD) There will be three people working as "Mission Givers" so to speak, one of which will be the Inquisitor Master of the Sector, it would be likely your character knows of him if he/she is present in the Sector often.

Ramael

Yuh-huh, I know about the Paths.

The term "master of none" is very different to "mastered near everything"!

I'm not exactly one for overpowered characters-wasn't trying to acheive one, just a variety of elements that make up the Eldar-it's exactly the adherence to one single Path that can make an Eldar character predictable and boring.

Never mind though. How about a Pirate captain with psyker sensitivity?

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Ramael on May 29, 2010, 11:17:06 AM
Yuh-huh, I know about the Paths.

I'm not exactly one for overpowered characters-wasn't trying to acheive one, just a variety of elements that make up the Eldar-it's exactly the adherence to one single Path that can make an Eldar character predictable and boring.

his point is that the eldar dont do jack-of-all, they master one thing, then move on, or get 'lost' on a certain path. so a eldar 'jack of all' is by definition a 'master of all'. if you like, you might want to look up Harlequins, they are rather different than the usual eldar, and might be more to your liking.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Harlequin
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Solitaire

psykers get Black Ship'd, and with the Inquisition and Sororitas out in force, they would certainly take you if you had any psychic ability. also i dunno how welcome pirates might be >_> they would probably just lock you up on charges and re-crew your ship with Navy personnel

Ramael

...yeah, I know about the servants of the Laughing God, too, I just didn't want to have to play a depressing mute or a camply dressed thesbian.

If it's an "uneasy alliance"(I'm going with the originally posted plot, here)...wouldn't the white hats be a bit more concerned with the overwhelming amounts of Chaos gribblies rather than some cavalier who is pointing his shuriken/energy weapons at the black stormtroopers and not the white stormtroopers?

Sensitivity is also different to ability, but I don't want to cause excess adversity so I'll drop this idea, too.

To make things easier (I can sort of see why 40k RP games are hard to get working now) how about you guys field me some more legitimate suggestions for an Eldar character and I'll take one of those.

Primarch

Quote from: Ramael on May 29, 2010, 11:17:06 AM

The Eldar who's mastered near everything was actually a reference to when I said I wouldn't mind an Eldar who has mastered one path and started another, I just wouldn't want an Eldar character who had mastered a wide variety of paths.

how about you guys field me some more legitimate suggestions for an Eldar character and I'll take one of those.

You could try a Dire Avenger, I always found them rather interesting, perhaps an Exarch for the extra flexibility in equipment....or perhaps a Fire Dragon Exarch, those Fusion Guns look like ridiculous fun.

Ramael

Quote from: Primarch on May 29, 2010, 12:30:55 PM
The Eldar who's mastered near everything was actually a reference to when I said I wouldn't mind an Eldar who has mastered one path and started another, I just wouldn't want an Eldar character who had mastered a wide variety of paths.

Yup, I didn't suggest a character who had mastered any Paths at all, not even one, in fact. They might not exist on the tabletop, but it wouldn't be too much of a push to suggest they exist in the 40k universe. An Exodite lord/Pirate captain, for example.

Quote from: Primarch on May 29, 2010, 12:30:55 PMYou could try a Dire Avenger, I always found them rather interesting, perhaps an Exarch for the extra flexibility in equipment.

Ok, I'll think about it.

Primarch

Quote from: Ramael on May 29, 2010, 12:36:51 PM
Yup, I didn't suggest a character who had mastered any Paths at all, not even one, in fact.

Never said you did, I was going back to my first reply to you, when I said that a jack of all trades wouldn't work due to the Eldar Path lifestyles, but if you're interested I wouldn't be against the idea of an Eldar who had completed one path and was on the road of another, to give that character flexibility you seem to be looking for.

Anathanasia

*gives Darkling a bitchy look...then a big grin...and a goose!*

I would be interested as well, Primarch. Bear with me for just a sec, 'cause I'm going to first ask you let me play the character I initially made for the game Darkling was trying to run (I really like the character), a Dark Eldar Wych (nominally about a succubus+ in skill level, Wych Dracite maybe?). I fully expect you to say no, in which case I'll do something else, but figured I may as well ask first, right?

I'm sure there'd be some modifications to the bio required, which I'd be eager to discuss. Just let me know, Primarch. :-)

---------------------

Name: Synaerihl
Race: Dark Eldar, Wych Succubus
Sexuality: Bi, sadistic, masochistic...heck, she's Dark Eldar, people! Remember where Slaanesh came from!? ;)

Appearance:
   Syn is what most would imagine in a dark eldar wych: tall, beautiful, elegant and predatory. Every movement is a study in grace, and when she fights it's pure, sadistic, poetry.
   She wears her dark hair long, currently favouring most of it pulled back into two braids, dyed a vibrant, yet dark, purple and woven through with spiked silver wire, that still reaches to her taut behind. She keeps the bangs, and a pair of curved dagger-like cuts framing her exotically beautiful face dyed in blood red. This cut does a nice job to accentuate her lovely pointed ears and their many interesting piercings.
   Syn favours minimal clothing, no matter what she's doing, especially fighting. Unless she's got to go into a hostile environment, almost anything she wears would fall somewhere between lingerie and bondage/fetish-chic (by 21st Century human standards anyways). Obviously, this leaves her athletic figure and pale, almost corpse-like, smooth skin almost entirely on display. She has no inhibitions, and in fact delights in taunting the human crew members with glimpses of her naked breasts or hairless pubis (she promised she wouldn't actually hurt anyone, so she takes what she can get).

Height: 5'10”
   Weight: 131 lbs.

Notable Equipment:
Agonizer: Syn's agonizer is an eight foot chain topped by a serrated short sword and hook on one end, and barbed, weighted ball on the other. She especially enjoys wrapping the chain around her victims and savouring the constant and intense pain they feel with prolonged contact. (For an idea of what I'm describing check out the kyoketsu-shogi, only as described above)
Combat Drugs: Syn still has a decent supply of her drugs, and fortunately, she has the skills to make more. Synthesizing the ingredients is the main hurdle.
Hellmask: Formed from the front carapace, the 'face', of a genestealer Synaerihl herself killed in a Commoragh arena, this was crafted for her as her prize for winning that tournament.
Gruesome Talismans: Fingers, ears, skulls, faces, teeth and other assorted goodies she's continued to collect since she joined the crew of the Void Bound.
Splinter pistol with several monomolecular blades built onto it.
Close combat weapons: a small assortment of mono-blades of various sizes, the odd wych weapon or two, just what she could grab and carry when she fled the destruction of her Cult.
Poison blades: Sort of...she has the blades, and along with knowing how to make combat drugs, Syn knows a few pretty nice poison recipes.
Reaver jetbike (if that's okay...wasn't even planned till I got to that part in her bio!)

Bio:
   Synaerihl is the last survivor, at least as far as she knows, of the Wych Cult of Execration. Betrayed in what could most likely be considered a political move during a series of raids, the Kabal of the Poisoned Heart was somehow manoeuvred by a rival Wych Cult into ambushing the Cult of Execration upon the latter's return to Commoragh after a particularly harsh raid (they hadn't expected to find Ultramarines already engaged with the orks...). Such attacks are not uncommon amongst the Dark Eldar, as stealing slaves is perfectly acceptable behaviour if one can get away with it, but in their weakened state, the Cult of Execration was wiped out.
   Perhaps some others escaped, Syn doesn't know, she fled when it became obvious that her Cult was going to lose the battle, cutting a swath through the warriors of the Kabal to find freedom. Returning quickly to her Cult's compound, she gathered what she could, bitterly casting aside trophies of her arena victories, the markers of her rise through the Cult to be recognized as a truly elite warrior and a Succubus.
   Synaerihl narrowly avoided being caught again as the warriors of the Kabal of the Poisoned Heart arrived to finish things off, taking a reaver jetbike and making her way through the dark streets of the nightmare city, into the webway.
   Eventually she decided she had to leave the webway, to try to find some other way to make it on her own. Reasonably certain of where she was, due in good part to the computers on her reaver, Syn did and found herself on the same remote world where the Void Bound was resupplying. Almost a pirate planet, the local populace either left Syn alone or ran the other way, and she was able to begin offering her services as a mercenary, her inquiries eventually leading her to...
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

ChaoticSky

eeep! *is goosed*

just like to note. if it makes it any more possible. her wych might beable to come with my RT/ship, DE dont look any different than eldar visually, and there are enough of them around to possibly overlook her presence.

and Rogue Traders are known for their lawlessness in general, working with xenos is far from the worst thing they have been caught doing. XD

Primarch

Hmmm.......I'd love to include the character, she seems interesting indeed. She might look like other Eldar, but the equipment might raise alarm bells. Ah sure why not, go on you scallywags! Make her a crew member on the RT ship pretending to be an Eldar.

Anathanasia

Hehe, yay! Cool, thanks guys.  ;D

I was thinking that with Darkling's Rogue Trader operating with a writ or charter or whatever it is again in the 40k universe, and the general xenophobia of the Imperium meaning they don't like to let the rank and file know much about the enemy (and some good old fashioned give-a-bit-o'IC-slack-on-canon-for-the-fellow-PCs), that most of the Imperials can relegate themselves to suspicious headscratching and disapproving glares?

Now, if only I could find the pics I had for her...that nice nude I found and then the one that Carlissa made (I think it was Calrissa...wait, no, it was Elven Sex Goddess?)?

Darkling, don't suppose you have the old thread in your bookmarks still, by chance?
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

Primarch

Alright, I'm aiming to get the IC thread started tomorrow morning (technically later today where I am) so those who are approved and good to go, awesome, if any other folks want to get characters in place soon, you can drop in as soon as your ready.

Kolbrandr

Just to chime in briefly, you don't really have to fudge much as far as accepting the notion of a Rogue Trader having some xenos in the crew, it's an existing setting thing to the point where they're including rules for it (and xenos character paths and etc.) in the next major RT supplement for the game.

ChaoticSky

hehe, i heard rumors of that a while back, but i should point out thats the way its been, fluff-wise, for a long time. RTs are almost as bad as radical inquisitors (if not more-so) when its comes to having a reputation for hanging around with the wrong crowd  ;D

which is why i made a RT character in my previous game, to give people a access to xenos races, instead of having to be all imperial.