(WoW) Why the Alliance Hate and Why is the Horde so Popular?

Started by LunarSage, July 04, 2011, 07:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saerrael

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 21, 2011, 09:31:32 PM
People actually play Alterac Valley?

I do >.>

And the entrance where the Horde comes into AV has been set back a bit. That's the only change in setting I can I think of.
Horde basically won AV too much due to a zerg strategy. Setting back their entrance made it a little more hard to win in the same manner.

I miss old AV days, though. AV could take eight hours or more. *grumps*

TheGlyphstone

I thought AV was the only 5v5 battleground in the game, because 35 people on both sides always went AFK at the start of the battle... ;D

Saerrael

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 21, 2011, 10:24:52 PM
I thought AV was the only 5v5 battleground in the game, because 35 people on both sides always went AFK at the start of the battle... ;D

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

So true, though.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Shjade on August 21, 2011, 09:14:13 PM
The structure of Alterac Valley begs to differ.

Not to mention it took them what.. a year or more to fix some of the pro-horde bugs in the other orginal content BGs?

Aiden

"Three years of blood, sweat and tears. Mostly tears... The amount of crying that a hardened soldier does when it comes down to all-out war is amazing! 'They're jumping into our tower with their horses!' 'Why is their base so well defended?' 'They're taking our relief hut, I'm going A.W.O.L.!' Wimps... I took the first train out of "cry-town" the minute the Dark Portal opened. Now I'm a top gun for the Dragonmaw. If you want to be top orc, you'll have to defeat me." -Commander Mulverick in SMV

Best WoW Quote ever!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Aiden on August 21, 2011, 10:40:42 PM

Best WoW Quote ever!

"iffin' yeh don't sumtimes shoot a small furry animal out yer gun, 'oh would yeh keep it clean? The druid's don't have an answer to THAT one!"

Fargo Flintlink, Engineer, Warrior and weapons maker (Such things as the Beaver Pike, The Chuck-shot and more)

Shjade

Quote from: Aiden on August 21, 2011, 10:40:42 PM
"Three years of blood, sweat and tears. Mostly tears... The amount of crying that a hardened soldier does when it comes down to all-out war is amazing! 'They're jumping into our tower with their horses!' 'Why is their base so well defended?' 'They're taking our relief hut, I'm going A.W.O.L.!' Wimps... I took the first train out of "cry-town" the minute the Dark Portal opened. Now I'm a top gun for the Dragonmaw. If you want to be top orc, you'll have to defeat me." -Commander Mulverick in SMV

Best WoW Quote ever!

The little bits of history like that were nice for me, since I only started playing at the beginning of BC and missed out on the years of QQ before that in vanilla.

Kicked those races' asses, too. Got my whip. =D
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

mannik

In my personal experience...the alliance is full off ass holes. For the brief time I was playing the game I had both alliance and horde characters and it seemed that playing horde I had far more trouble with some high level alliance guys coming into low level horde territory to harrass me while I'm trying to run quests than I had playing alliance.

Hell, there have been times when I pass a level 50 orc with my measly lvl 20 night elf, and they keep walking. Don't stop to stick a knife in my back or nothing. That NEVER happened when playing the horde. Saw an alliance guy, they tried to kill me. Every time. There was even one time I had to give up on my new character because some level 40 hunter douche decided he was going to go camp the valley of trials. If he didn't get us his pet would.

I mean, you don't even get honor points for killing people that drastically lower than you so what the hell is the point?

TheGlyphstone

Well, if we're trading personal anecdotes of evidence, the first time I ever got 'ganked' was Horde-on-Alliance...I was in Felwood back in Classic killing furbolgs, and there was some Hordie trying to farm the same mobs....rather than just keep farming, he tricked me into flagging myself by running into my AoE, then had his 60+ buddies crush me. This included stationing friends at each of the nearby graveyards, so I couldn't even spirit rez without being killed.  Never had that happen to me on my Horde toons.

Callie Del Noire

I recall one weekend (back in classic) where a trio undead went around killing every quest PC/flight master in lake shire/dark shire. There was one point where the rest of their guild showed up and had at least 2 rogues camping each graveyard. Took SIX high end guilds to finally come in and kill them all off.

Shjade

Quote from: KaylaM on August 22, 2011, 07:06:57 PM
a) Would be playing Horde if they didn't have Blood Elves (or played Horde pre-BC)

b) Play a horde race other then Blood Elf as their main
Well, since I already quit, this will be past tense, but regardless!

a) I would've been Horde regardless. My very first character was a Nelf hunter, which I quit and deleted not because of race options but because I hated the Alliance quests and starting zones. Horde quest progression just worked much better for me, and I liked the characters more in general. Community interests came up later.

b) If no new races had been introduced, I likely would have moved from my Forsaken warlock main to an Orc rogue and then to an Orc DK (where I went from Forsaken warlock to Belf rogue and then DK in the actual game). I made them Belfs rather than Orcs as they suited my RP purposes better (Orcs being a bit more on the brutish/brash side than the sneaky and agile side), but I like Orcs fine. Too much tusk on Trolls. ;p
◕/◕'s

AllieCat

I play on PVE servers, but I was shocked to hear that people think the ALLIANCE is a bunch of gankers and campers.. it was the Horde who does most of the tactics.. (or creating ways to CAUSE people to get Ganked., Ie the fishing exploit where they hang around and then right as the fish gets caught, they jump to the bob, hoping for a misclick meaning the poor Allie becomes pvpflagged and thus fair game)

Shjade

Quote from: AllieCat on August 22, 2011, 08:24:06 PM
I play on PVE servers, but I was shocked to hear that people think the ALLIANCE is a bunch of gankers and campers.. it was the Horde who does most of the tactics.. (or creating ways to CAUSE people to get Ganked., Ie the fishing exploit where they hang around and then right as the fish gets caught, they jump to the bob, hoping for a misclick meaning the poor Allie becomes pvpflagged and thus fair game)
As with all of the examples in this thread, it happens in both factions, with tendency changing by server. On Shadow Council, when that Sunstrider area showed up near the end of BC I recall the new gear vendors being overrun by flagged Draenei on their elephants so that anyone even attempting to use the vendor was pretty much guaranteed to click something red instead and get insta-ganked by the NPC guards. Of course, that was the first week; the second week it was mostly Tauren on kodos. Whether the Tauren would have done it if the Draenei players hadn't started it, I can't say. For all I know it was the same players switching factions for the lulz of trolling everyone on both sides.
◕/◕'s

Aiden

So a little experiment here:

Of all the Horde players in this thread, how many of you

a) Would be playing Horde if they didn't have Blood Elves (or played Horde pre-BC)

I was there before the prissy little bastards, I can live without them.

I don't have any blood elves as my main, I have one alt who I play with someone else from E and that is it really since the options for paladin did not stretch to tauren when I created him.

I play orc and tuaren mostly

Saerrael

So a little experiment here:

Of all the Horde players in this thread, how many of you

a) Yes, I would. I'd play Undead, Troll or Orc.
I do play two Trolls at the moment, but not as a main. I've played Undead and Orc before.
I just don't like Tauren nor do I enjoy Goblins.

b) I play a few Sin'dorei. Though my main is Quel'dorei.
Feel free to rage at that, I'm used to it.

AllieCat

I play mostly humans (go with what I know, right? :D).. but yeah, the few Hordies I play are Belfs,.. Never want to play another NElf, not only did I find the starting areas not fun (mostly because they were empty), but there's a stigma on NElves on my server.

I guess I'm just a stock fantasy type of player, with Stormwind's traditional (Chapel, Town, City) set up, and the high magic level version of Silverymoon being something I already know and like. The Dwarf area is decent, but the Hordies are much too "back to nature" ish for my tastes otherwise

I have to admit, I could live just fine without seeing a NElf somersault or Belf spin jump ever again.

Shjade

Quote from: Saerra on August 22, 2011, 09:13:10 PM
b) I play a few Sin'dorei. Though my main is Quel'dorei.
Feel free to rage at that, I'm used to it.

Really? My main rogue is a Quel'dorei from an alternate timeline, but I don't think I ever got raged at about it. You poor thing. D:
◕/◕'s

Saerrael

Quote from: Shjade on August 22, 2011, 09:34:41 PM
Really? My main rogue is a Quel'dorei from an alternate timeline, but I don't think I ever got raged at about it. You poor thing. D:

I have.. a few elitists on the realm. Anything remotely Elven gets shot, let alone the more creative Elven characters.
Then again.. we did have a full Violet Dragon Flight at some point in Silvermoon, which even I found a bit... much.
To each their own in my book, though.

ElizabethRayne

Having only read the first post to this thread and seeing as there are like 12 pages of comments and it being 12am for me. I'll keep this short and sweet.

I play both Alliance and Horde and in the end in my opinion it doesn't matter what side you're on you'll come across dick heads on either side. If you PVP you'll automatically hate the other side. There will always be trolls. 9-18 year old kids with no jobs saying you're a noob. There will always be gold farmers. There will always be that guild you hate. There will always be Lore addicts and people complaining your RP is incorrect because it's not lore specific. And there will always be one side bitching the other has better/more perks then they do. There will always be someone saying one class/race/faction is better then another. Racism/Sexism/classism its alive and well in WoW and I don't see it going away. Ever.

-Elizabeth Rayne
Lizzy's Playlist

Looking for my On's and Off's?

Current Cravings

”I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.” – Pablo Neruda

TheGlyphstone

On the 'Horde get all the evil quests' topic from a while back, I just did the Thousand Needles quest chain for the gnomes that involves trying to swindle the centaurs out of their oil reserves with fake gold, then murdering them and taking it anyways when they see through the ruse. Made me feel kinda skeevy.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 22, 2011, 11:16:12 PM
On the 'Horde get all the evil quests' topic from a while back, I just did the Thousand Needles quest chain for the gnomes that involves trying to swindle the centaurs out of their oil reserves with fake gold, then murdering them and taking it anyways when they see through the ruse. Made me feel kinda skeevy.

Must be a graduate of Goblin Business School (or engineering).

Anjasa

My main was an orc, then a troll, then I stuck with blood elves. I got really annoyed with the poor quality graphics of orc and troll females after a while, honestly, compared to belves. They looked so dated :\ If Horde didn't have belves, though, it wouldn't matter. It was where my friends were, so I'd have stuck with it.

My mains when I left WoW were a troll and a blood elf.

Honestly, I hated a large portion of the orc/troll/tauren community on Moon Guard for the most part. A good many of them felt they were 'better' than those that played blood elves, and I just don't really understand why someone would judge your value as an individual or a roleplayer based on what races you like to play. Didn't help that my blood elf was married to a troll. No matter that there was 3 years of roleplay behind it, it'd never be good enough for some people.

Shjade

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 22, 2011, 11:16:12 PM

The Horde version with goblins is pretty much identical.

Clearly Blizzard wants us to understand that tiny people are just inherently greedy bastards, regardless of political affiliation.

@Saerra: I have to admit, my first reaction to anyone claiming to be a dragon in WoW RP was, and would still be if I were still playing, "orly." Not that I'm against dragons, and they certainly show up in humanoid forms often enough in the Warcraft 'verse, but...people have a tendency to play dragon characters as I-win-any-conflict-automatically characters, which is bullshit regardless of your lore. We are not here to listen to how awesome you are; take it somewhere else.

Fortunately, it's quite easy (and plausible) for someone hearing someone else claiming to actually be a dragon in disguise to think said person is a loony and treat them as such, defusing the problem since, well, what are they going to do about it? Turn into a dragon and eat me? No? I thought not.
◕/◕'s

Saerrael

*hopes the link works*

Just saw this and found it funny;

Quote from: Shjade on August 23, 2011, 05:16:35 AM
The Horde version with goblins is pretty much identical.

Clearly Blizzard wants us to understand that tiny people are just inherently greedy bastards, regardless of political affiliation.

@Saerra: I have to admit, my first reaction to anyone claiming to be a dragon in WoW RP was, and would still be if I were still playing, "orly." Not that I'm against dragons, and they certainly show up in humanoid forms often enough in the Warcraft 'verse, but...people have a tendency to play dragon characters as I-win-any-conflict-automatically characters, which is bullshit regardless of your lore. We are not here to listen to how awesome you are; take it somewhere else.

Fortunately, it's quite easy (and plausible) for someone hearing someone else claiming to actually be a dragon in disguise to think said person is a loony and treat them as such, defusing the problem since, well, what are they going to do about it? Turn into a dragon and eat me? No? I thought not.

Hmmm, well the Story behind the guild was pretty well done. Just.. not everyone played by their rules and did what you described as the 'automatic win feature'.

Turn into a dragon. Hmmm... Vial of sands.
QuoteThe Vial of the Sands is a mount item, which teaches you to transform into a Sandstone Drake.

Aiden

Quote from: Saerra on August 23, 2011, 07:37:20 PM
Turn into a dragon. Hmmm... Vial of sands.

I'm debating making this for myself...I really want to turn into a dragon!