Interest Check: The Island (Plane Crash RP)

Started by TheWizardofOz, March 31, 2013, 11:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheWizardofOz

The Island

What this game is about?

This is a very simple idea, I haven't seen it tried before so I though I'd see if anyone is interested. The gist of it is that a plane crashes (I'm thinking somewhere in the pacific, probably on the Sydney-Los Angeles flight), and a few of the survivors (the players) find themselves on an island and have to work together to survive.

Where will this game be located?

I'm looking to put it in Human Small Groups.

What is required from players as writers?

A good mix of quality and quantity. I'm not asking for paragraph after paragraph, but a appropriate amount for each post and substance in each one. As a couple, the game will require you two to communicate privately and create one post as a couple when required (In other words, not two separate posts but one post together. 1 couple = 1 post).

Character Sheet
Code: [Select]
Name: Full name, please. Include any nicknames in parentheses. Like: Gregory "Gregilicious" Gray
Played by: Player's name here
Age and Birthdate: How old they are and when they were born.
Height and Weight: Self explanatory
Sexual Orientation: What is their sexual preference? Do note if you would be up for experimentation during the story itself.

Background: Any major notes about their life, like if they're wealthy. Things that would most commonly come up as important in your writing and things your as-of-yet uncreated "friends" would know.
Other: Anything else I did not have the foresight to add.

Can we have multiple characters?

No, at least not to start off.  The cast may expand and we may add new players as things get moving, but I'd like for everyone to begin with one character and move from there.

Vengurd

Interested.

I haven't seen this attempted in years and I still have chuckle at previous attempts.

However, I'll be on the move soon and I do not know how long I will be without internet, still, I'd like to try, I have the device, I just need a wireless connection (shouldn't be too hard to tap into these days) to pop on here every now and then.

Keaton

Sounds interesting enough. If there are enough interested parties behind this in time I'd be up for joining in, too.

Ons & Offs  Search Thread  Apologies & Absences   Current Stories: 1

Ascia

Dashenka

I'm interested with a few flags...

First of all I'm an aviation geek so the plane crash has to make a certain amount of sense. Since it's Sydney we're leaving from, it's probably the big new Airbus A380, we could easily have the engine blow up *gniffle*... that leaves us though with the problem at how such a big airplane crashes into the ocean and only a handful of survivors.

It would make more sense to leave from Sydney in a small propellor plane to fly to one of the islands of New Caledonia or Vanuatu or something like that, More changes of survival. Problem with that is the location is not very remote.

Of course Im willing to drop my OCD a bit and find a way to make it work without being overly pedantic :D

The other flag is the number of characters and the characters themselves. So I'll wait for that a bit.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

MasterOfMyFate

"Arrows through your heart."
Master ON/OFF

Mora

I'm interested. ^^ I'd like this to kick off.

Vengurd

Lols Dashenka, very interesting that, if I was the author, I'd be checking that information out.

I do know that most people don't focus on the plane too much beyond making the crash believable, usually by having a semi-generic plane crashing on an unknown, possibly very hostile environment complete with warring natives and limited water with a ooc shop that you could only use at certain points. I'm not sure if the author will follow the same rules or similar ones or a completely different set of rules, but it should be interesting.

ElCapitan

Quote from: Dashenka on April 01, 2013, 05:17:49 PM

First of all I'm an aviation geek so the plane crash has to make a certain amount of sense. Since it's Sydney we're leaving from, it's probably the big new Airbus A380, we could easily have the engine blow up *gniffle*... that leaves us though with the problem at how such a big airplane crashes into the ocean and only a handful of survivors.

It would make more sense to leave from Sydney in a small propellor plane to fly to one of the islands of New Caledonia or Vanuatu or something like that, More changes of survival. Problem with that is the location is not very remote.

Of course Im willing to drop my OCD a bit and find a way to make it work without being overly pedantic :D

The other flag is the number of characters and the characters themselves. So I'll wait for that a bit.

It's a magic plane that crashed on a magic island and it's magically designed to kill all but the sexiest survivors.  There.

I'm interested in the game, and willing to toss in my cap.  Thinking something along the lines of an up and coming business man, pretty good with people skills, but lacking in survival beyond 'find a Starbucks.'  Maybe a strained marriage back home.

TheWizardofOz

Haha if you're really that pedantic, I can let you do your thing and try figure out a scenario that makes sense. Also, I was thinking of having it crash on a remote island which is desserted (or so it seems :P), not a place like vanuatu and new caledonia.

Dashenka

I'll settle for a big airplane on it's way to Los Angeles or something and all our character are seated in the back or something. So that when the plane belly lands on the water, the rear end brakes off and stays afloat for just long enough for our characters to get the hell out. They soon spot land and swim ashore.

Something like that.

mia h

If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

TheWizardofOz

Quote from: mia h on April 04, 2013, 03:41:11 AM
Dash,
watch the first episode of Lost  ;D

I was thinking of lost, by I don't want all the complicated crap like "the others" and that initiative thing haha

Dashenka

TheWizardofOz

I'll try get it started this weekend. I'll message everyone who's shown interest so far with a basic plot and we'll go from there

MasterOfMyFate

"Arrows through your heart."
Master ON/OFF

Prosak

What if the plane split in two, mid flight. One half crashing on the beach, the other deep into the island. More then likely, the ass end being deep into the island. So that, when more people come, they have been surviving in the jungle, as we were surviving at the start, on the beach. If the nose, is where we came from, then it makes more sense that so little survived.

Reason A) Nose is source of impact.

Reason B) Proppeler's, engine explosions, and gas fire at the heat and destructive power of napalm, is not very friendly to the masses. Air planes, crash hard. Pretty hard. It may be the safest way to travel, but when it does crash, it leaves little alive in it's wake. In my mind, it makes sens if we suffered wounds. I mean, a crash of the magnitude needed for little to survive, leaves little room to come out clean as a whistle. Cut's, burns, broken bones. Hell, as an interested party, I throw my hand in the air for playing a character whom is temporarily crippled. Maybe through a year or so of in game time. Slowly goes through some debilitation, with the help of his island friends. Not definite, but a possibility.

I must also invoke a personal preference, and opinion out there. Ban on overly survivalist characters. It sucks when 10 different people walk around being the heroic, bad ass I want to be leader so I make myself able to handle anything, macho man types. Ruins the fun for people who want to go throughout the rp naturally, and develop bonds, survive, and naturally form a leader, and group. Maybe even split each other into separate groups at some point. Like in Lost. So, to strengthen my plea, how about we are all allowed a set number of life skills we can pick up.  So that each person can be made to be use full in specific fields.

Dashenka

Hehe I like the replies I'm getting from my little geek rant

I think if the plane brakes up in two mid flight, the impact will be much too severe for anybody to survive. Really out on the ocean the best change of walking (or swimming) away unharmed is if the pilot somehow tries to ditch the airplane. That way the impact will be rather smooth. Worst to happen is still the plane braking up into pieces but people will have a chance of getting out of their seats and swim. Besides they will already have their life vests on.

The people at the front will sink too fast or will be unconscious from the impact but the tail will take the least damage and more leaves more chance to survive.

A crash landing on the island is not a very realistic option either as the island is probably too small, too much trees and not flat enough. So in my humble opinion, the only way to have a remote chance of surviving a plane crash over the ocean is a CFIT (Controlled Flight Into Terrain). The terrain being the ocean.

The speed of the impact will leave enough chances to be injured.. from a few cuts and bruises to more serious.

I also agree with the survival characters. One or two would be normal but I think for the most of the people on board an airline the basic survival thing is to grab your cellphone and dial 911 or whatever number.

AdrianZef

Don't know if you want to roleplay with me? The answer is yes, you do. But fine, I guess I'll give you one of these: Ons and Offs, as well as a Wishlist.

Tamhansen

ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Visna

Lady Lunarius

I am interested, gonna keep an eye on this thread for now.
LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's

Keaton

By my count, if we include the 'GM', that's 13 interested parties!

arydanilov
Vengurd
Ansem
Ascia
Dashenka
MasterOfMyFate
Mora
ElCapitan
Prosak
AdrianZef
Katataban
Visna
LadyLunarius

Ons & Offs  Search Thread  Apologies & Absences   Current Stories: 1

TheWizardofOz

Quote from: Ansem on April 06, 2013, 09:43:56 PM
By my count, if we include the 'GM', that's 13 interested parties!

arydanilov
Vengurd
Ansem
Ascia
Dashenka
MasterOfMyFate
Mora
ElCapitan
Prosak
AdrianZef
Katataban
Visna
LadyLunarius

That seems like more than enough. I was hoping to keep it limited to only a few players, but I haven't been on in a few days so I haven't been following this thread. As long as everyone is okay with it, and especially if everyone is going to post regularly, I'm happy to start with those 13.

Prosak

So, character sheet's? And rule's, to skill's, job's, and character roles?