Sandbox "World Events"

Started by Adonis, December 19, 2012, 12:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adonis

The game Im running now is a freeform-sandbox type with only a loose plot to follow. The main plot itself I will not divulge here, but the game runs over quite literally an entire globe.

The one thing I seem to be having trouble with are global events. The only (and most obvious) one that seems to stick out in my head is a war between two of the races. I want these events to be mostly optional, and aiming at giving them something to do other than fly around as dragons, fuck each other... and fuck each other. Haha.

So, I come to you, oh fellow GM's, pleading some general, easy ideas.

The directory for the game, for your perusal and to get an idea of what I have going on is below.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=160363.0
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's
Current Muse Status: Overdriiiive

Oniya

Have you considered natural disasters? 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Adonis

Aye, I had thought about natural disasters, but the issue is, that's not really going to affect a populace of dragons all that much. Nor can they do anything to affect to outcome.
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's

Moraline

I think your striking on something that I was talking about in the GM Lounge.

What you could try are incentives for involvement.

Find out what they want and give them rewards for being actively involved.

Example: Maybe tell them they have no real magic spells until they are earned? Then give them a defined list of spells that they can choose from as they get involved in world conflicts? Or something like that.

PS: I really like your map

RedPhoenix

Magical disease? A prophet of a new god that may or may not be real? Weird aliens landing on a meteor? Massive flooding? A great leap in technology that may make even dragons at risk? Popular stories keep spreading about dragonslayers and making life difficult? Dragon worshipping cults are always begging to be shackled and devoured? Death of a strong ruler with no heir leads to civil war? Major religious schism? Portal to another world opens? Signs of a prophecized apocalypse? Just random thoughts.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Adonis

Quote from: Moraline on December 19, 2012, 10:15:05 AM
I think your striking on something that I was talking about in the GM Lounge.

What you could try are incentives for involvement.

Find out what they want and give them rewards for being actively involved.

Example: Maybe tell them they have no real magic spells until they are earned? Then give them a defined list of spells that they can choose from as they get involved in world conflicts? Or something like that.

PS: I really like your map

Hadn't thought of it that way. Though the spells thing was already in motion, lol. I won't say much more than that about them though. Don't want to hand out spoilers ;)

Quote from: RedPhoenix on December 19, 2012, 01:50:56 PM
Magical disease? A prophet of a new god that may or may not be real? Weird aliens landing on a meteor? Massive flooding? A great leap in technology that may make even dragons at risk? Popular stories keep spreading about dragonslayers and making life difficult? Dragon worshipping cults are always begging to be shackled and devoured? Death of a strong ruler with no heir leads to civil war? Major religious schism? Portal to another world opens? Signs of a prophecized apocalypse? Just random thoughts.

The disease might be something to work on. The rest wouldn't really work with the setting. The civil war thing is already being worked on, though with less civility :p Thank you for the ideas !
O/O's