Any good MMORPG besides WoW?

Started by Bloody Rose, November 09, 2011, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shjade

A note about Rusty Hearts: its PVP is pretty broken. Basically, once you get a knockdown on someone, you can infinitely combo them on the ground. With any character. So...yeah, PVP ends up reduced to "whoever gets knocked down first loses." Granted, when I watched this in action it was Decemberish of last year, so it's possible they've fixed that by now...but I somehow doubt it. Seemed like part of the game's core combat mechanics.

Dunno anything about its PVE gameplay.

In other news: Guild Wars 2 still isn't out yet? Feels like I've been hearing about it forever.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Sel Nar

Quote from: Shjade on March 13, 2012, 09:45:33 AMIn other news: Guild Wars 2 still isn't out yet? Feels like I've been hearing about it forever.

It's in final betatesting and server load testing right now; Current estimates have its official release being early summer.

Edit: GW2's Collector's edition was just announced, and preorders come with big bonuses, such as Full access to all Beta Events, 3 days of head-start (so you get to play the game 3 days before non-preordered players) And, if you're willing to shell out 150$ (or 130 pounds), you get the Full Limited Collector's Edition, which has the artbook, portfolio and 5 prints, a 10" tall statue of Rytlock Brimstone, and the GW2 OST CD

https://buy.guildwars2.com/

Pre-purchasing won't start until the 10th of April, but now you know what you're getting. Regular and Deluxe cost 59.99$ and 79.99$ respectively.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kazyth

I will be playing GW2, oh yes.  I missed out on GW1, having been eaten by other MMO's at the time, but the sheer scope of what they are doing for GW2 is absolutely astounding, and I CRAVE!
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

ExisD

I'm going to throw my hat into GW2 also. I played the first one for a very long time and just started playing it more to finish off my Hall of Monuments. It was my first real MMO and a lot of what went into the game spoiled me for other games, mainly the gear grinding in every other game I played.

I also got to demo GW2 last year at PAX East and the combat flowed very well in the demo, I can only imagine it's gotten better since then.

ShadowFox89

Unfortunately, with how many layers of security they now have with GW1 accounts, and that my master account was linked to an e-mail address I no longer have access to, I can't get into my GW1 account.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Shjade

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on March 16, 2012, 05:59:31 PM
Unfortunately, with how many layers of security they now have with GW1 accounts, and that my master account was linked to an e-mail address I no longer have access to, I can't get into my GW1 account.

I hate when that happens. Especially if it's caused by the account service just having a really poorly designed password recovery system (such as, for instance, not having one).
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Tiberius

Urgh that sucks, and us Australians get ripped off on the collectors its $200 here. So I just have the regular one pre-ordered, and yeah.. the Asuras are possibly the most disturbing player race i've ever seen before. They have bobble heads with shark teeth! O_o

Sel Nar

But that's the best part about the Asura; they're all cute and harmless with their football heads, floppy ears, and giant eyes, until they ~smile~ and then it's all 'Oh God Sharkface!'

SinXAzgard21

I've been looking over GW2 for about 3 months now, reading up on it, looking at the stuff they release.  Wish I could get into the beta before I decide to buy this but that probably will not happen...  So I'll probably just pre-order it and give it a shot.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Sel Nar

If you prepurchase any version after tomorrow, you get full Beta access, a 3-day headstart before release, and a bonus item, on top of the CE or Digital Deluxe edition bonii.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sel Nar on April 09, 2012, 05:40:57 PM
If you prepurchase any version after tomorrow, you get full Beta access, a 3-day headstart before release, and a bonus item, on top of the CE or Digital Deluxe edition bonii.

Thanks for letting me know that, I'll probably do that on friday.

Sel Nar

Quote from: Tiberius on April 09, 2012, 08:35:38 PM
So does that apply if you change an existing pre-order? I've been pre-ordered since they released the order codes to the game stores

It only applies if you fully pay for the game, so it's considered a pre-purchase, instead of a partial payment, which is considered a pre-order.

Pre-orders only get 1 day headstart, and no beta access. As mentioned in my earlier post, Prepurchasing from today on, for any version, gets you full beta access on the 'open beta' weekends, and 3 days headstart, plus a bonus accessory that boosts your character's stats a bit.

If you preordered from a company such as gamestop or best buy, you can fully pay off the balance of the game's cost to 'upgrade' from preorder to pre-purchase, which comes with a snazzy box for the beta access code.

(And yes, some Gamestops or EBgames have not yet recieved the SKU and beta boxes yet, much to the clerks' chagrin)

If you're aiming for the collector's edition, remember that it's a ~very~ limited run; A-net is actually losing money on each CE sold because the 10" Statue of Rytlock is worth 120$ alone.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sel Nar on April 10, 2012, 05:22:45 PM
It only applies if you fully pay for the game, so it's considered a pre-purchase, instead of a partial payment, which is considered a pre-order.

Pre-orders only get 1 day headstart, and no beta access. As mentioned in my earlier post, Prepurchasing from today on, for any version, gets you full beta access on the 'open beta' weekends, and 3 days headstart, plus a bonus accessory that boosts your character's stats a bit.

If you preordered from a company such as gamestop or best buy, you can fully pay off the balance of the game's cost to 'upgrade' from preorder to pre-purchase, which comes with a snazzy box for the beta access code.

(And yes, some Gamestops or EBgames have not yet recieved the SKU and beta boxes yet, much to the clerks' chagrin)

If you're aiming for the collector's edition, remember that it's a ~very~ limited run; A-net is actually losing money on each CE sold because the 10" Statue of Rytlock is worth 120$ alone.

Hopefully I can get the CE... If not then I'll just pre-purchase it on Friday.

UPDATE:  I have pre-purchased the CE of the game and I am waiting for the link to the beta.  Cannot wait to get started.

HairyHeretic

Anyone aiming to play The Secret World? I've been playing the little Facebook game, so should have access during the beta weekends that are coming up. I'm quite looking forwards to seeing what it's like.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Moraline

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 25, 2012, 04:20:40 PM
Anyone aiming to play The Secret World? I've been playing the little Facebook game, so should have access during the beta weekends that are coming up. I'm quite looking forwards to seeing what it's like.

I am!  I posted about it a couple pages back. 

Their website is full of information/in game play, and great Dev Diaries.  It's going to be awesome.  It might be a violation of my Beta NDA to say it but I don't care. What I've seen of it so far .. it's awesome!

Quote from: Moraline on March 10, 2012, 03:12:02 PM
The game I'm waiting for is The Secret World. (TSW)

Release Date: June 19, 2012 (Pre-ordering is already beginning)

http://www.thesecretworld.com/

From the creators of Age of Conan, this game will possess graphics that are unrivaled by any game on the market. For those of us that like to be a little naughty and enjoy games with an adult edge to them,  TSW will have nudity and graphic violence.

I seen a sneak peak from a games conference that's going on right now and the opening sequence of the Dragon Society has a very sexually suggestive choreographed cinematic scene as part of it.   ;D

You'll find me in The Secret World come June.

HairyHeretic

I think generally beta NDAs allow you to say you in the game, but that's about it.

Don't suppose you have a spare beta invite, do you? ;)

What faction will you be playing? I tested as Dragon, so will probably go with that.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

SinXAzgard21

I've been waiting for The Secret World to come out since 2010... I probably need to resign up for the beta.

Malthas

One thing that has become most evident is that people are tired of WoW, they want something new.  They want a new experience, many MMO's have come out, some called the WoW killer but no matter what none of them have been able to challenge WoW yet and many have faltered badly.     

I don't believe any of the MMO's out or currently coming out will really capture peoples attentions, no, it will be something else that has yet to be envisioned.   An immersive experience that is currently not being offered in a way that makes it the new big thing. 

The experience has to be different than anything currently on the market, one that rewrites the rules and play style.   If you merely go by what WoW has done it will be just another refined version of that game much as WoW took the Ever Quest structure and refined it.
Make them quiver.  Make them beg.   Make them belong.

HairyHeretic

I'm not sure there's any such thing as a WoW killer. As people tire of it, they'll move to other games. WoW has the advantage of years at the moment, and for a lot of people it's a known quantity. Every MMO that comes out is going to take good ideas from others, and they'll evolve over time.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Dashenka

A lot of games tried to compete with WoW and failed (Age of Conan, Aion, Warhammer Online, etc etc) Most of them failed because they didn't play as smooth as WoW did. What Guild Wars 2 has done (from what I have seen about it) is try to make a game and NOT compare it to WoW. A lot of things in GW2 look and sound better than in WoW but the open beta starts tomorrow (Friday 26 April) and then we'll see how good that game really is.

I can't wait to play GW2 despite being a total WoW freak as well.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

HairyHeretic

Given WoWs success, I think pretty much every MMO gets compared to it, whether they want to or not :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die