News:

Main Menu

New James Bond.

Started by Lustful Bride, December 24, 2014, 08:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

According to some of Sony's leaked Emails there have been rumors that they were considering the actor Idris Elba

Or as I know him always "Luther"  :P

I personally think that he could pull off a James Bond but not an action oriented one. I could not see him pulling off all the necessary stunts, but I do see him more as a mind game kind of man. Playing things more intellectually than previous bonds.

What do you all think?

Inkidu

I think Idris could be an action-y Bond, but not a rough and tumble one Like Connery or Craig, probably a more subdued pragmatic Craig kind of action-y.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beguile's Mistress

Possibly he would make a good James Bond but the character is iconic and shouldn't be messed with.  Partnering his character with Bond might work better.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on December 24, 2014, 09:27:58 AM
Possibly he would make a good James Bond but the character is iconic and shouldn't be messed with.  Partnering his character with Bond might work better.

that might actually be fascinating, looking at Bond from the outside in.  :o

Inkidu

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on December 24, 2014, 09:27:58 AM
I don't know, Craig got away with being blond. I think the bag is open and the possibility cats are running loose. :D

There are two three criteria for Bond in my book:

From somewhere in the UK.
Suave.
Male.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Inkidu on December 24, 2014, 10:24:17 AM
I don't know, Craig got away with being blond. I think the bag is open and the possibility cats are running loose. :D

There are two three criteria for Bond in my book:

From somewhere in the UK.
Suave.
Male.
I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Craig is a Bond type and being blond or not really has nothing to do with it.  I was referring to the character aspects, the wiry, tough action character, the lean body type and the portrayal and nothing else.

Inkidu

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on December 24, 2014, 11:23:24 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Craig is a Bond type and being blond or not really has nothing to do with it.  I was referring to the character aspects, the wiry, tough action character, the lean body type and the portrayal and nothing else.
I was just joking. There was a bit of controversy (Read: Fan rage) about Craig being blond, that's it. :)

Beguile's Mistress

Oh.  I don't read that stuff so I wouldn't know.  I thought it was another case of someone misinterpreting something I said.  Instead it was me not getting the reference. *nods*

Lilias

Quote from: Lustful Bride on December 24, 2014, 09:32:12 AM
that might actually be fascinating, looking at Bond from the outside in.  :o

Bond + male sidekick = disaster, most of the time (Saunders, Trevelyan, etc). It would be good to buck that trend too. ;D
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Valerian

I saw something on a Cracked list a while back that struck me as an interesting take on the whole Bond mythos -- the idea was that the name "James Bond" was, like M or Q, simply a code name that's been used by different people through the years.  It's a neat way of explaining the different actors in the role without having to resort to the theory that Bond is actually a Time Lord.  ::)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Valerian on December 24, 2014, 01:02:42 PM
I saw something on a Cracked list a while back that struck me as an interesting take on the whole Bond mythos -- the idea was that the name "James Bond" was, like M or Q, simply a code name that's been used by different people through the years.  It's a neat way of explaining the different actors in the role without having to resort to the theory that Bond is actually a Time Lord.  ::)

That's my personal headcannon as well. James Bond is just a title used all throughout the ages.  :-)

Oniya

Quote from: Lilias on December 24, 2014, 11:52:31 AM
Bond + male sidekick = disaster, most of the time (Saunders, Trevelyan, etc). It would be good to buck that trend too. ;D

Don't forget poor Quarrel (and Quarrel Junior).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Praetoria

The idea of a black James Bond has been floating around since around the release of 'Quantum of Solace'.  Sean 'Puffy' Combs was the one talking about how he wanted to lay Bond, but everyone immediately switched to talking about Idris Elba as Bond. So, this isn't totally new.

That being said, I think that there's actually a franchise opportunity here. The next film is bringing back SPECTER (and Blowfeld!) and Skyfall did a fantastic job of laying down the foundation for the Bond future. So, how about Idris Elba as a different 00 agent? MGM/UA certainly needs some kind of big franchise to bank on like Disney and Warner Brothers have.

For that matter, I think Angelina Jolie once brought up the question 'why not a female Bond?' So, how about another 00 film focusing on a female agent? Disney/Marvel is banking on 'Agent Carter', and it's looking good. You could even have a bit of a joke between the female agent and Bond by making her 006, so she reminds him that she's 'one higher up the chain' than him.

Inkidu

I'm not opposed to female spies, I love female spies, but I think the problem with a female Bond is that it'd be seen as propping up a female actor with a much more powerful franchise. :\

So I'd like a female spy franchise to kind move under its own power.

Deamonbane

An interesting thought would be to introduce the entire 00 team, make different movies about them like they do with Avengers and then one big mash up!

Edit: One where 006 (Sean Bean) Doesn't die, preferably...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Beorning

Quote from: Valerian on December 24, 2014, 01:02:42 PM

Well, if they really go with a black Bond, then it'd have to become a canon explanation. There is a line beyond which you can't say that it's still the same character...

No disrespect meant, but if a character that has always been portrayed as a white Englishman can suddenly become black, then really - why not a female Bond, then?

Quote from: Inkidu on December 25, 2014, 08:47:22 AM
I'm not opposed to female spies, I love female spies, but I think the problem with a female Bond is that it'd be seen as propping up a female actor with a much more powerful franchise. :\

So I'd like a female spy franchise to kind move under its own power.

Well, in that case, it's time to start lobbying for a Velvet movie :)

persephone325

I'm all for it. Shake things up. Do something different.

The main "problem" I see people talking about all the time, is the fact that he's black. So? Who gives a rat's ass? I understand Bond is an iconic character and all that. And people don't want to see an iconic character suddenly become a different race. But at the same time, it's entertainment.

If none of the previous Bond actors have a problem with it, then why should we?

It's along the same vein as when Jackie Earl Haley played Freddy in the new Nightmare On Elm Street movie. Robert Englund was totally fine with his portrayal as a child molester, without all the witty one-liners. That was the original character concept (if I recall correctly) before Craven changed him to be a child killer. It made Freddy more of a monster, in my opinion. I liked Englund's portrayal of Freddy. But I liked Haley's more, because he was vicious and evil. But again, I like villains like that.

But having Bond be portrayed by a black actor is "new and scary", and not everyone likes change. My opinion is: at least give him a chance, and then make your decision. (Not saying "you" as anyone in particular. Just meant in a general way. lol)
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Beguile's Mistress

I'm kind of getting the idea that people think you need to use the James Bond character to sell the actor rather than being able to find an actor to portray James Bond in the way the character should be portrayed.  The character is too big to allow for a change in who he is.  007 is 007 and no one else is him.  005 can be a woman and 009 can be a different race.  Why limit the race to only black as everyone else is doing?  Why not Asian or Middle Eastern?  You need to fit the character rather than change him.

Let's have Craig Ferguson portray Gandalf or Chelsea Handler take the role of the queen in Snow White.  A blond blue-eyed metrosexual can play Dracula's great-grandson but would not be believable as Dracula.  Snape as done by...Miley Cyrus. ;D

Beorning

Exactly. For better or worse, Bond has been defined as a white Englishman. You can't just say that from now on, he's going to be of different ethnicity. It's just... not the same character anymore.

For the same reason, I'm annoyed by the fact that they are making Johnny Storm black in the upcoming Fantastic Four movie. I have nothing against black superheroes, but that particular character has been created as a white, blonde guy. That's who he is. You can't just turn him into a black guy out of a sudden...

Oniya

Are they making Sue Richards black as well?  Because - ya know - they are supposed to be brother and sister. 

As for Idris Elba as Bond, I found the actor's response quite amusing:

QuoteIsn't 007 supposed to handsome? Glad you think I've got a shot! Happy New year people.

https://twitter.com/idriselba/status/548874165399601152/photo/1
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on December 29, 2014, 09:02:42 PM
Are they making Sue Richards black as well?  Because - ya know - they are supposed to be brother and sister. 
A...dopted? *shrugs*

Sound like they might be doing a reboot of Fan4 again. :P

Fox doesn't want to lose the rights to Fantastic FOur though I suppose.

Oniya

Adoption is certainly another option, but it's still messing with some pretty solidly established canon. 

Stella

Is Daniel Craig leaving the series, or is all of this just speculation on Sony's part?

Blythe

Quote from: Stella on December 30, 2014, 12:28:00 AM
Is Daniel Craig leaving the series, or is all of this just speculation on Sony's part?

From what I've heard, Daniel Craig is purportedly doing only one more Bond film after Spectre, although no idea if that's legitimate info or not.

Cosmo_ac

Personally I don't like messing with Canon, because if it wasn't for the cannon, in most cases, the movie would not be made in the first place.  Going around and making huge changes is a slap in the face of fans who have invested time and money into said canon, making it what it is.  Taking a character like Bond and making him black for no other reason then to have a black bond is, well, just plain sad.  If they did say, a mind transfer into a black guy, or some crazy cosmetic surgery, for undercover work (cause seriously, how can every super-villain out there not have a picture of the guy's face, as bond is less then subtle) at least that could be acceptable.

That being said, sometimes you have to take creative licensing.  What makes a good book or a good comic is not the same as making a good movie.  It is a different medium, and has to be adjusted accordingly.

I am a fan of the idea of their being different 007's (as explained earlier), but as I don't think it is canon that might be a hard sell.  I do like the idea of having other 00 agents explored though.  Could make a good series, like 24.