What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

Quote from: gaggedLouise on March 23, 2018, 07:49:47 AM
*sigh*

Can't help thinking of this quote from the man who ran down large numbers of people with a van in central Stockholm a year ago and killed four on the spot: he said this in court yesterday:

"I didn't think anything, I didn't feel anything. I just kept on driving."

>:(

For the rest of the questions, he just stuck with "I can't remember anything about it". Damn coward.

The modern version of "I was just following orders."

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on March 23, 2018, 08:01:28 AM
The modern version of "I was just following orders."

Actually, I've seen versions of that from IRA shooters and school shooters.  You have to be dissociated from your actions in order to follow through with it.  The ones that break out of the act usually mention a moment of 'What the hell am I doing?' or something that jars them into seeing the 'humanness' of their target.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Nachtmahr

(This post is about US politics.)

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/380045-wisconsin-gop-will-tinker-with-election-laws-rather-than-follow-court?__twitter_impression=true

So apparently Republican leadership in the state of Wisconsin is attempting to find some way to avoid having their power challenged.

I'm not American, and I'm hardly an expert on American politics, although I consider myself fairly well-versed on the topic. With that said, this seems like an outright assault on the concept of democracy itself. A blatant attempt to avoid a political confrontation by refusing to let a fair election take place.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

TheVillain

That's the GOP, Nacht. They've been openly cheating the democratic process (at least in spirit) for decades.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Sara Nilsson

Cant lose an election if there is no election.
*taps head*

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Nachtmahr on March 23, 2018, 09:23:43 PM
(This post is about US politics.)

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/380045-wisconsin-gop-will-tinker-with-election-laws-rather-than-follow-court?__twitter_impression=true

So apparently Republican leadership in the state of Wisconsin is attempting to find some way to avoid having their power challenged.

I'm not American, and I'm hardly an expert on American politics, although I consider myself fairly well-versed on the topic. With that said, this seems like an outright assault on the concept of democracy itself. A blatant attempt to avoid a political confrontation by refusing to let a fair election take place.

I’m about done with the Party..it’s always had its stupid actions but ever ...shit.. quite a while it’s been out and out corrupt, not that I think the democrats as less.

I mean in my home state of North Carolina the Dems pretty ran things till about 10 years ago but the GOP is showing a hunger for keeping power that is downright scary in spots. Walker  is bad but the guys in the statehouse back home are just as evil

Lustful Bride

AmberStarfire

I'd be surprised if this hasn't been noticed and shared already in other threads, but the mentioned changes to the law int he US might be of particular relevance to Vekseid, since he administrates this forum:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-new-law-that-killed-craigslists-personals-could-end-the-web-as-weve-known-it

gaggedLouise

Quote from: AmberStarfire on March 24, 2018, 01:33:20 PM
I'd be surprised if this hasn't been noticed and shared already in other threads, but the mentioned changes to the law int he US might be of particular relevance to Vekseid, since he administrates this forum:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-new-law-that-killed-craigslists-personals-could-end-the-web-as-weve-known-it

Would we (or the site) have to fly a disclaimer saying that whatever descriptions of prostitution and non-con sex are found on the site are pure fiction?

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

AmberStarfire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on March 24, 2018, 03:09:46 PM
Would we (or the site) have to fly a disclaimer saying that whatever descriptions of prostitution and non-con sex are found on the site are pure fiction?

I have no idea, but I just thought I'd pass it on. I'd be worried about matters of responsibility if anyone were to break the rules (as outlined in the article).

Lustful Bride

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on March 27, 2018, 08:23:12 AM
Kim Jong Un seems to be traveling to China in a train fit for his hedonism.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/bulletproof-slow-and-full-of-wine-kim-jong-un’s-mystery-train/ar-BBKL4Hz?ocid=spartanntp&ffid=gz

Yeah, he's always trying to impress with his gadgets: bombs, parades or trains.

(The link was snapped in the middle in your post, due to the apostrophe I think, but it works in the quoted bit above. I didn't change anything! :D )

gaggedLouise

No, the link still doesn't work, but just click the bit that does link to that site, open in a new tab, and then copy-paste the rest and hang it onto the end of the address in said tab (without any blank in between)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: gaggedLouise on March 27, 2018, 11:33:00 AM
Yeah, he's always trying to impress with his gadgets: bombs, parades or trains.

(The link was snapped in the middle in your post, due to the apostrophe I think, but it works in the quoted bit above. I didn't change anything! :D )

A bulletproof train full of hookers and booze. We're one blackjack table away from a Futurama joke.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 27, 2018, 11:47:29 AM
A bulletproof train full of hookers and booze. We're one blackjack table away from a Futurama joke.

I remember a very funny blog post (in Swedish) that compared his father to a gangsta rapper: the same need to impress with expensive stuff and shock visuals.  "While people like 50 Cent want to impress you with guns, fast cars and lots of girls, Kim Jong Il goes for fissile material." :D

Twisted Crow

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/chinese-space-station-could-crash-to-earth-on-easter-weekend/

Chinese Space Station is likely plunging toward earth pretty soon, I guess. Likely disintergrating into debris before it actually 'crashes' down.

Lustful Bride

Terrible Russian Mall fire leaves at least 64 (and many children) dead. Many died trying to break open the fire escape doors that had been locked, or having to jump to escape the flames.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-kemerovo-mall-fire-vladimir-putin-visit-children-siberia-shopping-center/

Lustful Bride

Free Range Parenting law passed in Utah.

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/380485-utah-becomes-first-state-to-pass-free-range-parenting-law%3famp#ampshare=http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/380485-utah-becomes-first-state-to-pass-free-range-parenting-law

I don't know how to feel on this. I mean its not the 50s and 60s where everyone knew each other in a given area. But at the same time I don't know what situation these families are in that makes this easy for them.

Ket

Quote from: Lustful Bride on March 28, 2018, 07:26:36 AM
Free Range Parenting law passed in Utah.

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/380485-utah-becomes-first-state-to-pass-free-range-parenting-law%3famp#ampshare=http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/380485-utah-becomes-first-state-to-pass-free-range-parenting-law

I don't know how to feel on this. I mean its not the 50s and 60s where everyone knew each other in a given area. But at the same time I don't know what situation these families are in that makes this easy for them.

Good. Children should be allowed to play unsupervised, so long as the parent feels it's appropriate.

When I was a kid in the late 80's/early 90's my parents didn't really know many of their neighbors, but I still had free roam of the neighborhood. My school was in the middle of my neighborhood and from grades 6 to 8 I walked to and from school. Kids need to be able to have fun without a parent hanging over their head. They need to explore, gain knowledge of their world, learn about themselves through their own activities. Accusing parents of neglect just because they aren't hovering over their children 24/7 is a ridiculous notion and I don't know where it even got started.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Sara Nilsson

oO I didn't even know that was a law.

As a Swede I can just shake my head. Biked to school from first grade alone, was never supervised when I was playing outside (apart from when I was a baby of course). The fact that they state that a 12 year old might be too impulsive to walk home from bus stop alone just.. is mind boggling to me. If you where to tell a Swede that you are negligent as a parent for that you would be laughed out of the country.

Quick Ben

Helicopter parenting probably started somewhere in the 90s I think, thanks to a lot of media hype about injury, and especially kidnapping.

Really, the 24-hour news cycle can be blamed for a ton of things.
The Crazy Den of Quick Ben

"We have a proverb," said Hadji Murád to the interpreter, " 'The dog gave meat to the ass, and the ass gave hay to the dog, and both went hungry,' " and he smiled. "Its own customs seem good to each nation."

Mile High -- Redd & Hood -- Lana Cross -- Goblet of Murder & Mystery -- Naughty or Nice --  Princess Peach

Hades

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/labrador-retrievers-wag-tails-most-popular-dog-breed-130303276--abc-news-pets.html

For a change of pace and something more light-hearted, the AKC released their list of 2017's most popular breeds in the US.  Because wet noses and waggy tails is a nice change of pace from a world filled with national leaders trying to outdo each other on the crazy scale.

Deamonbane

Former Vice President Joe Biden clarified his comments about getting in a fist fight with Donald Trump, dismissing “the idea that I would actually physically get in a contest with the president of the United States or anybody else.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/joe-biden-regrets-talk-fighting-192533861.html

I liked Biden when he was VP, and I chuckled at the Memes about him and Obama, but I still feel that his comments were him going down to Trump's level.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

gaggedLouise

A 1924 Austrian silent film drama, The City Without Jews, telling a story that clearly seems to predict the rise of Nazism and rabid anti-semitism, is restored and shown in theatres again, almost a century after it was made and after having been lost for most of that time. When the film was produced and shown, Hitler was in jail and writing Mein Kampf., and Nazism was widely seen as defeated.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43569919

Quote from: BBCWatching it now, the film's scenes of the expulsion are some of the most haunting and prescient.

The city's Jews are told to leave by Christmas Day. Some of the poorer people leave on foot, accompanied by soldiers with bayonets. Whole communities walk slowly through the snow, some on crutches, some carrying Torah scrolls from the synagogues. Others leave by train. Desperate goodbyes take place on the platforms. A Jewish father embraces his little daughter, who is staying behind with her Christian mother.

---

An incomplete and very damaged version was found in the Netherlands in 1991. Then in 2015, the whole film was rediscovered by a collector in a flea-market in Paris.

The Austrian Film Archive organised a crowd-funding campaign to save it. More than 700 people contributed more than €86,000 (£72,000; $107,000) to it. The film has now been digitally restored and re-released.