News:

Main Menu

D&D help

Started by Mindhazingsquid, September 06, 2006, 10:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mindhazingsquid

I'm trying to make a no magic, no psyonics, no gods d&d 3.5 ed (because that's what my friends have) based world.  No magic means no wizards, no sorcerers, no clerics or paladins or druids or monks.  I need non-magical versions of bards and rangers.  The ranger in the complete warrior still has a magical ability.  Unless you can explain a non-magic non-deific way that nature's blessing works.

I would also except an alternative source (modern d20 maybe?) for my world.  My only reason for D&D is that that is where I based my world in the first place and as I said before, that's what my friends all have.

Thank you for your help and time.

Lilian

Ahhhh! Trying to run D&D without magic is like trying to run a modern day game without pop culture!

Good luck with that. XD   Though you may want to consider D20 Modern to run a no-magic game, or switch over to another system entirely.  The Windows system is easy enough to learn, and I use it quite often, and I think it could be adapted well enough to D&D..

Mindhazingsquid

I don't know, I think that windows runs on a wing and a prayer.

I can't think of any system that doesn't have magic built in it, except maybe Paladium which is clunky and horribly made, or GURPS which I have never really looked at...

Hmm, maybe I will look into GURPS.

Kakihara

Well, if you know anyone that has Iron Hero's setting, I understand it has some non magic variants of both.  It is a low majic/dangerious magic setting.

Celestial Goblin

I add my reccomendation for Iron Heroes. It's really good.
For other systems that work good without magic, i'd recommend 'the fantasy trip' which is said to be what GURPS is based on.
Savage Worlds is a very modable game that doesn't need to have magic to be fun.

I think a safe bet would be to just re-make d&d classes by yourself. The variant ranger could have all magic removed, bards could lose spellcasting but gain better combat/thieving skills, barbarians could only be nerfed down a little. Still, Iron Heroes does all that and much more.

Mindhazingsquid

Thank you all very much.

RubySlippers

Sure you can run a D&D game with no magic just drop all the relevant magical classes. After all a basic fighter can be anything if you want a wilderness scout try a modified Rogue.

In one game I ran a non-magical wizard sort of character a rogue with lots of con skills, Perform (stage magic) and basically all bluster and no real magic. But in one case she FLEW using wires and some proper building up to the big moment.

And remember if a dark ages society Alchemy is still a powerful skill from flashing powder to adding in herbal skills to make healing potions. Herbal potions can likley heal just not real fast my characters did 1d4 hit points a day extra when the person was resting.

All you have to do is get creative if you run such a game HERE I'm in I would love to try it.  ;D

CaptainErotica

Another alternative, but might involve some work, is to use the old WEG d6 system. It is a simple system to learn, you wouldn't have to retool all the classes, in fact wouldn't even have classses.  just assign each D&D skill an appropriate abilty (Ie meee would be strenght, ranged would be dexterity, disable device would be mechanical ,etc, etc). The weapons and armor you could keep the same stats for or make up d6 stats for them.