Story writing forum - non-original work.

Started by Haibane, September 17, 2011, 02:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haibane

Hi... looked for the answer to this in the relevant forum but it wasn't addressed.

I have just come across a doujin that is sensationally erotic and I think it could be much more so if given a full narrative treatment. I thought of suggesting an RP based on it but I think I would rather test my skills in writing a full story. Thing is the main plot points would not be my ideas, but lifted from the comic and converted and embellished - fairly heavily - into a narrative.

Is there a problem with doing this in the story writing forum or does the site require material to be 100% original?

Thanks for any guidance anyone can give.

Jag

Unless it's changed since I last posted in there...then no, it doesn't have to be completely original content for it to go into the Storytelling Forum. Though I do believe it has to be for the Cafe (correct me if I'm wrong). All I've ever posted in the Storytelling Forum is fanfiction and/or expansions on movie/comic scenes.

Hope that helps, Haibane.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Haibane

Thanks Michi, that's helpful, yes. I suppose this would be a form of fanfiction now that you mention it.

Jag

I did a narrative and expanded a scene from the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and I consider that fanfiction. So yeah, I'd consider it that.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

It couldn't hurt to put a 'source' statement (Inspired by '______' written by _______) sort of thing.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Saerrael

Could also toss it in Finders and Keepers
(        Elliquiy Role Playing Forums »
    Art and Literature »
    Art, Media and Music »
    Finders and Seekers)
which IS for any art that is not your own, for posting the doujin on it's own (not sure about hosting, but I think you could use the Wiki for it). But you can use the material in your search post(s) without any problem (if you want to base a game on the work). Just be sure to refer to the artist(s). Not doing so would fall under art theft.

Story writing would but need the same references as fan fics. Reference is the key, here.

Haibane

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's definitely story writing I plan to do so that's the forum it would go in. Whether I would use images from the doujin to support some scenes I'm not sure though I may do (have done this before to support an RP), but I can definitely reference the original work and author.