Battletech 3145 - Recruitment (Open for recruitment)

Started by Blobbe, June 16, 2014, 07:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

In terms of lance-roles, you might want to plan for having me as a member of Recon lance, not Strike Lance. The Blitkreig is stupidly fast (118.8 kph) and extremely heavily armed for its speed (Ultra AC/20, Heavy PPC), but it's also relatively fragile as far as Mediums go (5.5 tons of Light Ferro-Fibrous), plus jump jets and the C3 Slave if someone decides to run a C3 Master-equipped unit in Strike or Command Lance. It can outrun anything that's not a Light mech and outfight anything that is, but it's not built to stand in the line-of-battle like most of its weight class.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 24, 2014, 12:26:46 PM
In terms of lance-roles, you might want to plan for having me as a member of Recon lance, not Strike Lance. The Blitkreig is stupidly fast (118.8 kph) and extremely heavily armed for its speed (Ultra AC/20, Heavy PPC), but it's also relatively fragile as far as Mediums go (5.5 tons of Light Ferro-Fibrous), plus jump jets and the C3 Slave if someone decides to run a C3 Master-equipped unit in Strike or Command Lance. It can outrun anything that's not a Light mech and outfight anything that is, but it's not built to stand in the line-of-battle like most of its weight class.

Indeed. And wouldn't the Spider in our midst serve better as Recon as well? I know they aren't necessarily the fastest of Light 'Mechs, but putting him with the Strikers seems like a big risk. Granted, lady Kayla may be doing this to keep players as close as possible to one another. Perhaps the NPCs in the Recon Lance already have 'Mechs just as suited to the job as the Blitzkrieg? Making it more acceptable that he, as an ace, is with the Strike Lance.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

orderNchaos

The thought for the lance make up was that we could have the Gauntlet be the other half of a hunter-killer team with the Ghost (which is what it was designed for) as opposed to putting the Ghost on Recon.  Speed wise I agree the Blitzkrieg would be a good Recon, but arms wise, I'm not sure how it would do on recon.  If we have a full strike lane with the Ghost to support between the Gauntlet and the Blitzkrieg under the Ghost's umbrella, we should do fairly well in the killing shit quick role.  Thoughts?

As of now we have two assualts, two heavies, three mediums and a light.  With NPC's filling the holes we have a pretty good mix.

Oh and BTW....I pref BON.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: orderNchaos on June 24, 2014, 01:31:10 PM
The thought for the lance make up was that we could have the Gauntlet be the other half of a hunter-killer team with the Ghost (which is what it was designed for) as opposed to putting the Ghost on Recon.  Speed wise I agree the Blitzkrieg would be a good Recon, but arms wise, I'm not sure how it would do on recon.  If we have a full strike lane with the Ghost to support between the Gauntlet and the Blitzkrieg under the Ghost's umbrella, we should do fairly well in the killing shit quick role.  Thoughts?

As of now we have two assualts, two heavies, three mediums and a light.  With NPC's filling the holes we have a pretty good mix.

Oh and BTW....I pref BON.

Indeed, looking at those weapons, his speed almost becomes a secondary advantage. There's a lot of firepower stacked on that machine and with proper backup from the Command Lance and the heavier 'Mechs around him, he could do some serious damage. Not to mention his speed does allow him to flank, which the rest of the Strike Lance isn't as capable of doing.
It's plausible for him to be in Strike, is what I'm saying. But at the end of the day, the decision is the GM's, of course! I'm sure she has sound reasoning behind the position.

orderNchaos

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 24, 2014, 01:36:44 PM
Indeed, looking at those weapons, his speed almost becomes a secondary advantage. There's a lot of firepower stacked on that machine and with proper backup from the Command Lance and the heavier 'Mechs around him, he could do some serious damage. Not to mention his speed does allow him to flank, which the rest of the Strike Lance isn't as capable of doing.
It's plausible for him to be in Strike, is what I'm saying. But at the end of the day, the decision is the GM's, of course! I'm sure she has sound reasoning behind the position.

Have you met the Ghost and the MASC enabled Gauntlet?  ;)  Between the three of them, and maybe add a good Close in mech to support in danger close situations and you have a pretty formidable strike lance.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: orderNchaos on June 24, 2014, 01:40:27 PM
Have you met the Ghost and the MASC enabled Gauntlet?  ;)  Between the three of them, and maybe add a good Close in mech to support in danger close situations and you have a pretty formidable strike lance.

Oh, I know very well what that is capable. That Strike Lance we have right now packs one hell of a punch. Literally, and figuratively. We won't be wanting there anytime soon. And with a good distrubtion we don't have to worry about four Assault 'Mechs draining every penny we make as Strike Lance 'Mechs can get a bit of damage from time to time...

TheGlyphstone

Name: Everett Fletcher Yoshikawa
Sex: Male
BattleMech: Blitzkreig BTZ-4F
Homeworld: Toriuchi
Original Faction: Draconis Combine

Description: A slim, lean-muscled man in his late 20's, with a perpetually unruly shock of dark hair that stands as the principal legacy of his quarter-Caucasian heritage. His shoulderblades are decorated with a pair of Combine dragon tattoos, one below each, and the rest of his body is marked with a handful of assorted minor scars and wound marks.

Background: Everett is somewhat of an oddity in the reborn Draconis Combine, both for his heritage and current state of employment. Several generations past, prior to the Clan Invasion, his paternal grandfather had been a member of a mercenary company who took on the defense contract of the Kuritan world Toriuchi in the face of pirates. The mercenaries stood and died rather than flee, exhibiting honor beyond anything a ronin would display - down to seven crippled 'Mechs when the last of the enemies fell. In gratitude for the service and honor, the elderly and childless lord governing the planet adopted the man into his own household; unfortunately, this meant he would inherit the family relic, a venerable King Crab Battlemech, which angered the lord's extended family. Leaving a trail of assassins behind him, the would-be heir spent years in mercenary service across the Sphere, hiding and running from his adopted relatives. Late in the clan invasion, however, fate struck precipitously and called the mercenary unit Everett's grandfather signed with to defend Toriuchi again against Clan Smoke Jaguar. Again, he stood with honor, finally earning the grudging respect of the Yoshikawa clan, retiring from mercenary work soon after. He married the daughter of a respectable but poor Kuritan noble family, but the irregularities of succession remained a black mark on their legacy.

The new Lord Yoshikawa did, however, set an important family tradition that would be followed. The eldest son of their line, the heir, would serve his dutiful term in the Kuritan House military, trained as a 'Mechwarrior with the King Crab that was their legacy. the second son, however, was required to spend no less than ten years as a common mercenary; a shocking custom to Kuritans who still looked down on mercs as honorless ronin scum, but it was mercenary service that saved their family line from extinction, and so there would always be merc service in the Yoshikawa blood. This was Everett's duty, as the second son of the third generation of the family since that time. His father had served in the Republic of the Sphere, and his brother in the reborn Combine military, but like his uncle and grandfather, Everett would be destined for merc work. Trained as a 'Mechwarrior but lacking a 'Mech of his own, he returned to the battered Arena world of Solaris VII and joined an infantry 'Scrapper' arena team, eventually parlaying that into the battle-armor wing of a small but skilled merc group specializing in infantry-level operations. This lasted four years, a lucrative time period for mercenaries as the Republic of the Sphere crumbled, and culminated during a boring garrison assignment on a former Word of Blake planet deep in FWL territory. By blind chance, Everett's squad stumbled into a pristine Blakist supply depot, complete with half-a-dozen functional Battlemechs. Each of the five troopers took a 'Mech of their own, the company claimed the rest and got to argue with their employer about salvage rights for six near-priceless war machines. For his own part, Everett immediately bought out the remainder of his infantry service contract and went hunting for a real Mech-equipped mercenary outfit.

Personality: Everett is a daredevil - no other words exist to properly describe him. He's canny enough to avoid being outright reckless, but even other Mechwarriors have called him 'cocky' on more than one occasion. He still thinks like an infantryman, though, even as a Mechwarrior - speed and flanking tactics, and combined-arms with bigger and meaner allies, rather than the slow grinding advance of Assault lances, and a healthy respect for anything big enough to threaten him (which is a lot of things). With an older brother wearing a 100-ton antique between him and the succession, he's very casual about his family duties beyond the requisite ronin service, though his sword-drill remains impeccable. His rather incongrous callsign is a reference to an ancient Terran arena gladiator, who was said to 'float like a butterfly and sting like a bee', suiting how Everett fights in combat.

Specialty Skills: Skilled swordsman, infantry scout, writes poetry.

Battlemech

The BTZ-4F Blitzkreig is a mech designed to live up to its name. As fast as most Light mechs half its tonnage, but with armament comparable to some Heavy mechs half again its size, it delivers massive damage at close range than retreats before slower enemies can react to the attack. This sort of lightning hit-and-run tactics is Everett's preferred means of combat, especially with a solid core of bulkier Battlemechs to serve as the anvil to his hammer.

Chassis: Blitzkreig BTZ-3F
Weight Class: Medium
Callsign: Butterfly
Description: Gunmetal grey chassis, still with most of its original parts and in noticeably better condition than the average 'Mech of the day. A fat, smiling
cartoon bumblebee is the only adornment painted on the barrel of the autocannon.
Weaponry: Ultra AC/20
Equipment:
Armor: 6.5 tons Light Ferro-Fibrous (IS)

orderNchaos

Oh this is going to be INTERESTING!!  AHAHAHHAA

TheGlyphstone

Renegade Vile

Hilarity being wanton destruction. Which is always good *chuckles*.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 24, 2014, 02:10:39 PM
Hilarity being wanton destruction. Which is always good *chuckles*.

Maxim 34: If you're leaving scorch marks, you need a bigger gun.

Renegade Vile

Updated my 'Mech's color scheme as well. It's basic, but it works. I may tweak it later on. The Black Sun emblem still needs to go on too.

Blobbe

OK, based on feedback, we're going to go for the Bondage section for this game. Not saying that ti'll be all about strips and straps, but it leaves the option there for the players.

Glyph, the character looks good. Only problem is you listed both the Ultra/20 and the H-PPC as wepaons; the 4F has only the H-PPC (Yeah, the Sarna entry is a bit murky on that) as a gun. On the upside, the trade-out from the Ultra is what got it the jump jets and Targeting Computer. Aside from that, you're looking good.

vin26m

Looking forward to this starting.  I haven't followed Battletech since 3062.

How is this going to start?  Will the characters know each other?  Could we start halfway through a battle, when we're on the verge of winning?  Just so we can have an action scene from the get-go.

orderNchaos

Oohhh...That sounds like a fun way to start!!!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: KaylaM on June 24, 2014, 06:00:47 PM
OK, based on feedback, we're going to go for the Bondage section for this game. Not saying that ti'll be all about strips and straps, but it leaves the option there for the players.

Glyph, the character looks good. Only problem is you listed both the Ultra/20 and the H-PPC as wepaons; the 4F has only the H-PPC (Yeah, the Sarna entry is a bit murky on that) as a gun. On the upside, the trade-out from the Ultra is what got it the jump jets and Targeting Computer. Aside from that, you're looking good.

Yeah, I just double-checked that in Skunkwerks. I'm going back to the normal Blitzkreig then, since the Ultra AC is what I wanted in the first place. Though I should have seen something was amiss, since upgrading my 6.5 tons of armor to Light Ferro-Fibrous was apparently enough to fit an extra 10-ton weapon and multiple accessories. Armor with negative weight would be fantastic.

I'll miss that Targeting Computer. But at least I don't have to worry about the wasted C3 Slave anymore.

vin26m

Quote from: orderNchaos on June 24, 2014, 07:33:05 PM
Oohhh...That sounds like a fun way to start!!!

Thanks.

Taking it a step further...

How about the company has been together for a while, everyone knows each other, trusts each other, gets along, etc.  They're really a team, a family.  Every player can make up background stories - the time a bunch of them got into a brawl together, spent a night in jail together, barely escaped with their lives, lost fellow Mechwarriors, got betrayed or had a romantic relationship but broke it off.

I'd also be interested in playing NPC type characters, like technicians.

orderNchaos

Quote from: vin26m on June 24, 2014, 09:36:29 PM
Thanks.

Taking it a step further...

How about the company has been together for a while, everyone knows each other, trusts each other, gets along, etc.  They're really a team, a family.  Every player can make up background stories - the time a bunch of them got into a brawl together, spent a night in jail together, barely escaped with their lives, lost fellow Mechwarriors, got betrayed or had a romantic relationship but broke it off.

I'd also be interested in playing NPC type characters, like technicians.

I suggest we don't make it like we've been together for years, but maybe this is our third or fourth short term contract so we've had a chance to learn the nuances of each other's fighting style and quirks.  Something like what you want would require a bit more background RP between each character.

Phaia

are there still openings for the unit?

Phaia

orderNchaos

No, sorry Phaia, as the title says we've closed recruitment.  If something comes up we'll re-open the thread.

Phaia

darn missed it...good shooting and check your 6

Phaia

Paladin of Lust

That's a shame, lol. Would be nice to have a second female in the RP. I don't count, I'm a guy playing a female character. xD Either way, I dunno what the GM has in store for us, but I'm fine with either having more background or less background for the merc outfit.
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

You're only given one little spark of madness. You musn't lose it. - Robin Williams

Le List of Lust (My ONs & OFFs)

Renegade Vile

Quote from: vin26m on June 24, 2014, 07:31:52 PM
Looking forward to this starting.  I haven't followed Battletech since 3062.

How is this going to start?  Will the characters know each other?  Could we start halfway through a battle, when we're on the verge of winning?  Just so we can have an action scene from the get-go.

A definitely viable option.
The way I see it, we can go about introducing people in two ways (right off the top of my head of course, I'm certain lady Kayla already has something in mind).
The first being the aforementioned battle, where we can show which Warrior is good at what, and maybe who has some mid-battle banter with whom, if at all. Kind of show cohesion, if any, while fighting.
The second is just prior to an operation, where we can show how the party acts and reacts outside of combat and show what things make each of them unique. Maybe through banter or whatever you like (even Predator-style ballbusting if you want to go for that type of mercenary).

Quote from: orderNchaos on June 24, 2014, 09:54:21 PM
I suggest we don't make it like we've been together for years, but maybe this is our third or fourth short term contract so we've had a chance to learn the nuances of each other's fighting style and quirks.  Something like what you want would require a bit more background RP between each character.

Agreed. We'd have to know each other's characters in-depth, including information that hasn't been written yet for that to work. Though I do agree that they should know each other a bit already. That removes all the tedious "hello, I am ..." dialogue that always ends up being more or less the same as the last one-hundred times you did it. It's better they've been together for a few weeks, maybe a month or two. Something along those lines.

Quote from: Phaia on June 24, 2014, 10:02:23 PM
darn missed it...good shooting and check your 6

Phaia

Perhaps give lady Kayla a poke, see if she'll still allow more, despite the title. You never know.

Blobbe

Oh, I agree that the "Hi, my name is X and i like to Y" style start for a group RP gets old fast. I've seen far too many flounder on just that alone, never getting past the launch pad.

At this point, I'm inclined to go with either just before a mission launch - like "We drop in 30 seconds" just before, or either in-situ, mid-battle. Either way, I'm open to ideas, certainly. While I'm running this game, I also want to know what people want (Within reason, of course). Either way, I figure that the characters already know each other and have fought alongside each other at least once before. I'll mull it over (yay, I am now home from work and can think enough to type more then one-sentence replies on my phone) and probably come up with something, but I do like both of those options.

I'm going to work on getting the threads up tonight or tomorrow, including compiling information on the unit and the like. One thing I'm also going to add is a "downtime" thread for RP not immediately related to the main plot, or where you want to engage in something (cough knocking boots cough) that might drag out while everyone else is doing something else. That way we don't end up having to wait on people or cut something short because the rest of the plot is moving.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: KaylaM on June 25, 2014, 03:52:40 AM
Oh, I agree that the "Hi, my name is X and i like to Y" style start for a group RP gets old fast. I've seen far too many flounder on just that alone, never getting past the launch pad.

At this point, I'm inclined to go with either just before a mission launch - like "We drop in 30 seconds" just before, or either in-situ, mid-battle. Either way, I'm open to ideas, certainly. While I'm running this game, I also want to know what people want (Within reason, of course). Either way, I figure that the characters already know each other and have fought alongside each other at least once before. I'll mull it over (yay, I am now home from work and can think enough to type more then one-sentence replies on my phone) and probably come up with something, but I do like both of those options.

I'm anxious to see what you will come up with, lady Kayla.

Quote from: KaylaM on June 25, 2014, 03:52:40 AM
I'm going to work on getting the threads up tonight or tomorrow, including compiling information on the unit and the like. One thing I'm also going to add is a "downtime" thread for RP not immediately related to the main plot, or where you want to engage in something (cough knocking boots cough) that might drag out while everyone else is doing something else. That way we don't end up having to wait on people or cut something short because the rest of the plot is moving.

Also, how much freedom do we, as players, have in mentioning things that haven't been established yet? By this I mean things like my character mentioning to the captain that they're almost in the red from a previous mission, for example. Would I need to run this by you? Would I need to wait until you mention it in passing through a descriptive block of text? Is this allowed in very limited fashion? I don't mean anything that is plot defining, just minor things to make it seem like our characters do know what is going on, without having to bother you with PMs saying "Is this alright?" for everything (important information excluded).

It's a question that's hard to phrase so I hope you know what I mean *rubs his chin*. I'll try and find a better example.